PDA

View Full Version : Large group recommendations needed

sisterslovindisney
01-21-2013, 12:18 PM
We will have 18 people on our next trip. The tentative dates are 12/14 - 12/21. We are staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek. The youngest in out group will be 13. There will be 9 adults and 9 teenagers. We will be celebrating 4 birthdays while we are there. 6 of the people have never been to Disney.
So here are my questions:
1. Are there any discounts for park passes for this size group if we purchase them all together?
2. Are there any fun things to do as a group this large?
3. What restaurants will most likely be able to accommodate us all sitting relatively close to each other?
4. Where can I get my head examined for doing this ? :D

ThanxForNoticin
01-21-2013, 12:49 PM
These are some great questions. We've done this type of trip about every 3-4 years - it's an amazing way to enjoy Disney. For us, it is a family reunion trip along with the occasional friends that might join us. You might be crazy, but it'll be worth it!! To answer your questions:

1 - I'm not aware of any discounts that are available just because of your group size.

2 - Fun things to do? The options are limitless, depending what you like to do. When we are together, it is very seldom we have the entire group for an activity (except dinner!). But you might have some folks who enjoy mini golf, or some that enjoy Downtown Disney for shopping. Some might enjoy a day at the water park (in December, it is quite possible that you'll have a day to do that - the weather can be unpredictable, but is often nice). If the weather cooperates, we often spend an afternoon at the pool. And you do have all the parks to enjoy!

3 - Meals.... We have been able to sit together (and we've had as many as 21) at the following restaurants: 'OHana, Boma, Teppan Edo (different tables, but same room), and Portobello. We've also been able to sit very close together at RainForest Cafe and T-Rex. You will need to make some calls in advance (be ready to go at the 180-day mark!), but you can absolutely enjoy most meals together.

If you plan (and it looks like you are), you can have a great time. I would just recommend that you don't try to have the entire group doing things together all the time. You'll drive each other nuts! Give people the opportunity to enjoy doing some things on their own or in smaller groups. Then if you can get everyone together for dinner, you'll have lots of fun and experiences to share!

Good luck. Enjoy the trip!

Janmac
01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
1. Are there any discounts for park passes for this size group if we purchase them all together? As was said already, haven't heard of any discounts. Are there any retired military in your group?

2. Are there any fun things to do as a group this large? We have done mini-golf. And a couple of water parks. We probably were not amusing to others in the lazy river, all hooked together on our tubes. I suppose you could do a fireworks cruise. Not sure if you're too big. We have had the guys go fishing while we did something else (not remembering now :blush:).

3. What restaurants will most likely be able to accommodate us all sitting relatively close to each other?
At Epcot:
Biergarten can seat you at tables of 8, probably near each other.
Teppan Edo, as was mentioned, at tables of 8. We did this with a larger group - tho not as large at yours. We had the kids at one table and adults at another.
Marrakesh, at Morocco, has several large tables. The area in the middle is for the musicians and the belly dancer. There are areas off to the sides that would accommodate larger groups at a few tables very nicely. And the service here has always been awesome.

Resorts:
'Ohana has some large tables. Supper here is fun.
1900 Park Fare has some larger tables and a room off to the side, where we usually sit, that can accommodate a lot nearby. We usually do the character dinner here which has Lady Tremaine - a major hoot for older guests (like older than 10). And our best group photo at Disney ever was taken here.
Cape May - but that was a while ago, for this restaurant.

4. Where can I get my head examined for doing this ?
Is there a monetary recompense? :D

Jan

sisterslovindisney
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the answers so far! We have had 10 before in a group so I'm somewhat familiar with some of the logistics of things. This will be a mix of family and friends going. We have in the past went to the same parks but maybe did different things because of the ages of the kids. This year though all of the kids are teens so that will make things easier. We have been to Ohana and love it there so might try that again. Most of our meals will be at the resort though since we will have cooking available and plan to bring groceries. A couple more questions:
I thought there was some type of dessert event at EPCOT during the fireworks (maybe that's not happening anymore.)
Also, is there a way to get to the Boardwalk from one of the theme parks without actually having to enter the park? I'm thinking that our shuttle from Wyndham will only drop us off at the theme parks. We may want to go to the Boardwalk without using park admission if possible.

TinkerbellT421
01-21-2013, 05:29 PM
My first thought is, is there anyone in your party that is DVC, Florida Resident or Annual Pass holders? If so, I would recommend purchasing the TiW card, it would be HUGE savings for a party of your size in regards to Dinning and alcoholic beverages.

Secondly, yes there is a way to get to the Boardwalk through theme park transportation without having to enter. You can go to Hollywood Studios and take the walking path from there. It's about a 10-15 minute walk, tops.

azcavalier
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
We went with a group of 14 a few years ago, and it went very well. Here's my only advice:

We went with the idea of only hitting up cafeteria-style or family-style meals. I can't imagine anything worse than going with a large group like that and having everyone place their orders separately....especially when there are kids involved. So, we ate at Garden Grill, Hoop-De-Doo, Whispering Canyon, O'hana, Chef Mickey's and Akershus. Some other places where you could do this would be 1911 Park Fare, Beirgarten, Crystal Palace, Hollywood and Vine, and Liberty Tree Tavern. You could do Be Our Guest for lunch....you do order separately at a kiosk, but seating should be no problem (there were huge tables with long benches in the Rose Room).

LVT
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
You may use any WDW buses. If you are dropped off at a park, get on a Boardwalk bus.

Janmac
01-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Also, from DHS, you can walk around, from the busses, past the entrance to the boat dock and take the boat to the Boardwalk. There's sometimes a looong wait for the next boat, and it's a bit slow, stopping at the Swan/Dolphin first, but relaxing.

Jan

sisterslovindisney
01-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone!