PDA

View Full Version : Handicap Accessible

nicholsbears
01-19-2013, 10:24 PM
I know someone will come down on me for this question; but rest assured I am just throwing it out there to open a resonable discussion. What are your thoughts on the way Disney handles Handicapped Accessibility? My mother spent the last 6 years of her life in a wheelchair and all she ever asked was to be treated equally...not special or preferentially. Have you noticed that whenever someone in a wheelchair or scooter shows up at an attraction or buss stop; they are magically whisked to the front of the line (alond with their party members)? There have been times when we have stood in line for over 30 minutes, only to have a scooter show up and go to the front of the line. One evening after 12 long hours at the park (and temps had fallen into the 40's), we were waiting in line for a bus to our resort when a scooter showed up and went to the front of the line where they immediately got on a bus. We had to wait for the third bus (what seemed like an eternity...as you know). The large family beind us started discussing the situation and suggested that the next trip they would buy a wheelchair at a yard sale, and take turns being the handicapped person.
Just curious what other opinions are on EVERYONE waiting their turn in line. Like I said, I was my mother's caregiver for 6 years; so I am not some heartless soul.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-19-2013, 10:35 PM
When we took my mom, who was also in a wheelchair with MS, we didn't necessarily go to the front of the line. Back then, there were a lot of rides where you had to go in a back way rather than through the line. But we might also have had to wait awhile when we went in that way.

As far as the buses? I don't have a problem with them getting on first. Being able bodied, I am capable of waiting or even standing on the ride to or from the parks. And since they can only fit, on average, 2 wheelchairs on the buses, I still don't have a problem waiting till they get on first.

But people faking to go to the front of the line etc, that I have a real problem with. But again, how do you know if they are faking? You can't really tell. My mother was capable of getting out of the chair to get on a ride or sit in a regular chair at a restaurant. But because of her illness, she got tired very quickly and it drained her strength. However I'm a big believer of the Karma bus. If these people are faking needing a wheelchair, they will someday NEED that chair.

And another time, my sister was having problems with bulging discs in her back so she rented a scooter. Again, she can and did walk but she was in a lot of pain if she had to stand too long.

So I guess my point is that there really isn't any way of knowing that someone is legitimately in need of a scooter or wheelchair. To ask everyone for a doctor's note would be time prohibitive.

Itchy
01-20-2013, 12:20 AM
My lady friend has a bad knee in need of a replacement badly and when we go I get her a scooter. I know folks give us a look since we get on the bus first but I go out of my way to make sure I do not occupy one of the seats. Even at my age ( 61 ) I will make sure that either a lady or a lady with a child has my seat as they need it worse than I. For those who fake illness or those who rent ECV's because they do not want to walk, well all I can say is shame on them. I have a bad back and do not plan on using an ECV until I must have one and then I will still feel a little guilty.

If your mother or family member is in true need of early boarding I would make sure that you take advantage of it.

Strmchsr
01-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Going to the front of the line I don't think is the big deal everyone makes it out to be. Sometimes you're just going to a different entrance but you still have to wait quite a while, sometimes longer than if you stood in the regular line. It's just the regular crowd doesn't see it. My son had a bad knee injury from football last year and we got him a scooter so that he could still make the trip. No way he could've walked. We never once went to the "front." We sometimes went to different entrances where there was a handicapped accessible only vehicle, like on the Safari or Spaceship Earth and several other places, but not once did we skip waiting in line. The only time that happens is when someone has a GAC card where they have a specific situation where they can't wait in lines (usually a child with some sort of sensory disorder or something along those lines). So, my point is I think there's a big misperseption that folks in wheelchairs or scooters skip lines. 99% of the time they don't. Just wait in a different place.

The bus thing I think Disney should definitely handle differently. Scooters should wait in line like everyone else. That's what we did with my son, even though I saw some skip to the front. That's extremely annoying and not necessary. But, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it.

Hammer
01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
The bus thing I think Disney should definitely handle differently. Scooters should wait in line like everyone else. That's what we did with my son, even though I saw some skip to the front. That's extremely annoying and not necessary. But, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it.

Chris, I don't think that would work for people in wheelchairs or devices where they can't easily transfer. The bus needs to be lowered and the ramp opened to bring on the chair, then need to be secured by law. It would be logistical nightmare to try and secure one or two chairs after a bus is over 1/2 full. Not to mention while I'm sure you would be accommodating and move to put the chair where you were sitting, sadly I think many would not and people in wheelchairs would have to wait longer than most guests or put up with nasty comments. Consequently, we only use buses for MK and drive everywhere else. I get tired of dealing with people passing judgment and acting like jerks.

I noticed when we were there in December there is now a sign at the bus stop for wheelchairs. It clearly says that only up to 6 people, including the wheelchair/ECV passenger, can board with wheelchair/ECV. If your party is larger than 6, please coordinate meeting at your intended destination.

Strmchsr
01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
That's a good point Christine. And I haven't seen that sign before. If enforced that will make a big difference. I (and I think most people) have no problem with folks in an ECV getting on first. They need to. I think the big issue in the past has been when a party of 10 or 12 goes on and takes the seats ahead of those who have been waiting 20 or 30 min. It feels like a lose-lose situation sometimes and I'm sure it does to Disney, too. Almost nothing you do will be "fair." I wonder sometimes if it would behoove Disney to set one or two specific handicapped busses that are already configured that way and that would enable them to take more at a time instead of the 1 or 2 ECV's that can usually be taken per trip. Not sure what the solution is, but I'm sure there's something that would solve it. Until then, I'm not going to grumble either way. If that's the biggest irritation I have in life I have nothing to complain about! :mickey:

TiggeRia
01-20-2013, 08:31 PM
When I travel with my father we use an ECV because he only has one lung and is on oxygen. Please keep in mind, like Strmchsr said, that the majority of the time you are not sent to the front of the line for attractions. Usually you are diverted to an accessible entrance, and often the wait is longer than the standby line due to the limited amount of accessible ride vehicles.

As for the buses, while I agree that it is not fair to go right to the front of a long line, that many times that ECV rider must wait for several buses. Deluxe resorts, and larger moderates, share buses and there have been several times that the bus has arrived with standing room only. And while they can squeeze more people on who can stand, the scooter and people accompanying must wait for the next bus. One year at the Poly, we waited for 60 minutes for a bus that we were able to board. Three buses came and went that were already packed.

So just because the scooter may go to the front of the bus line while you are there, keep in mind that that same person may have waited three times as long earlier in the day.

I have given up on the WDW bus system when we travel with my father, between the stares and comments he found it much too stressful. I think the stares and comments come from people who don't understand. We always rent a car now and fine it much more stress free.

Hammer
01-20-2013, 08:49 PM
The signs seem to be new, as I do not remember seeing them in October, but I don't think I rode any buses that trip, as we stayed at BLT and took the Monorail to MK and drove to all the other parks. I meant to snap a picture of the sign, but sadly I did not. Hopefully one of our Intercottees who are traveling to the World soon can send us a picture of the sign at one of the bus stops?

Strmchsr
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm arriving on Saturday. I'll try to remember to snap a pic.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
...The bus needs to be lowered and the ramp opened to bring on the chair, then need to be secured by law. It would be logistical nightmare to try and secure one or two chairs after a bus is over 1/2 full.

Disney loads wheelchairs onto 1/2 full buses all the time on every route that shares a bus between resorts, which includes practically every resort on properly except Pop and AoA.

Hammer
01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Disney loads wheelchairs onto 1/2 full buses all the time on every route that shares a bus between resorts, which includes practically every resort on properly except Pop and AoA.

Yes, and I've seen it cause quite a bit of commotion when people are told they have to get up to put those seats up to accommodate a wheelchair, at least 50% of the time. I've also seen where the CM calls for an empty bus to come to a resort, even when that resort is not first on a loop, to load a wheelchair.

As I said, we only use buses for MK and drive everywhere else with Mom. Like Ria stated, it is not worth the stares and comments of other guests.

ransam
01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
As somone who has to have an EVC, i can tell you that it's extremely difficult, however no one does a better job than Disney at making sure that there is nothing off limits.
But it is hard.
watcing a parade, you get there early to make sure you have a spot. wait, and 9 times out of 10, someone standing next to you will block your view.
watching the fireworks, I promise you people will stand right in front of you, even in handicapped areas. you get glares from people, comments "you know being fat isn't a handicap", well either is being "ignorant".
I drive as slow as i can, my evc can go at only a 90 degree angle, but people can move anyway they want, so as i'm driving some one will cut in front of me, and if i clip them, I'm the bad guy. i would love to walk around WDW like i use to.
last year was the first time in over 5 years that i was able to walk down Main Street, as a CM rode beside me on my EVC. It was awesome.
but still, i need that EVC, and while most may think it's bad and not fair, all i can say is I hope you never have to use one.
so w/that being said, my rule is to let one bus go ahead w/o me, and i'll get the second one, that seems fair to me.

stephicakes
01-22-2013, 04:44 PM
last year was the first time in over 5 years that i was able to walk down Main Street, as a CM rode beside me on my EVC. It was awesome.

Good for you, ransam!!! :thumbsup: And here's to MANY MORE walks down Main Street in your future!!! :magic:

steph :)

Disney Doll
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
We're really having this discussion again? :beat:

No, I haven't noticed how wheelchairs get front of line access on rides because they don't. I have traveled with a wheelchair in my party on many occasions. There is not one single ride that offers front of line access to wheelchairs. I promise. The posters who mentioned that parties with wheelchairs often wait longer for an accessible ride vehicle are right.

As for buses, sure wheelchairs get to load first. Not because it's a perk for the person in the chair, but because it's easier for the driver who must secure the chair. Personally we rent a car when we have a wheelchair with us because it's just easier and we don't need to deal with the judgement of people who have no idea what the real situation is.

Bus behavior is just ridiculous. I once saw a family with a young mom in an ECV load onto a 1/2 full bus. The people sitting in the rows clearly marked for the handicapped acted offended that the driver insisted they move to accommodate the chair. This lady was frail, bald with a scarf, and wearing a cancer survivor bracelet so I'm not sure how someone could possibly look more obviously in need of having an ECV. I was appalled. Clearly loading the ECV's first is preferable.

ransam
01-23-2013, 03:54 PM
I would like to add one thing
Like most things that are created to help those that need it assistance, the guidelines Disney uses gets abused.
I have seen teenagers on an EVC that they got on the bus and were trading rides on it as they got off.
But don't blame the system, blame those that abuse it.

Gator
01-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Disney has done a good job of keeping those in wheelchairs and ECVs in the same attraction lines as everyone else. Plus, a lot of people who use ECV use them not because they're wheelchair bound, but because there's no way they can walk around the parks all day. A lot of times, the folks ride the ECV to the attraction, park it, and walk through the line with everyone else.

As far as the bus system, Disney hasn't figured it out yet. In the mornings, on the way to the parks, ECVs showing up are an inconvenience. I don't like it, but it's just an inconvenience. It's when the parks close it becomes a real problem. When there's 100 people lined up waiting for the bus and an ECV shows up with a family of 11, that's when the crowd turns ugly.

The problem is, I have no idea what they could do to improve the situation. And apparently, Disney has no idea either.