PDA

View Full Version : 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend Official INTERCOT Meet

Melanie
01-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Hey all! So let's bring our Twitter and Facebook chatter about this in here and make this official. Woot! We'll discuss here in the Meets forum, then move this over when the runDisney forum is up and running (no pun intended). Yes, a runDisney forum is coming! :joy:

Okay, so many of us have expressed interest in getting together as an INTERCOT team and running the 5K as part of the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend. Others have also expressed interest in possibly doing the 1/2 or full, and then those of us not running will be an awesome cheering section. Seriously, it's just as much fun to cheer as it is to run. Starting at 5:30am on the 1/2 and full mornings, you can get into the Magic Kingdom and cheer the runners from Main Street. It's an incredible experience! :cheer:

We'd love to have a huge group representing. We'll make signs, have special t-shirts, etc. If you've never run a 5K, this is a great one to start with, as runDisney events are incredible. This was my first 5K last year. So start training now!

We'll most likely have some other official get-togethers as well over the course of the weekend. I'll be bringing my 13 year old and we're making it a mom/son weekend.

Dates are: January 9-12, 2014

Registration opens April 9, 2013

So who's in? :walk:

:rocks:

BrerGnat
01-17-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm IN! I'll be running the 5K and/or a 10K if rumors come to pass.

DH is in for the Half Marathon.

This will be (hopefully) an adults only weekend for DH and I. :party:

AgentC
01-17-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm in for the 5K and for cheering those of you who are way more fit than me and ambitious enough to do the 1/2 or full. :D

Cheshire_Girl
01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
This is AWESOME!!
After many years of being over weight I finally kicked myself into gear about 2 years ago. It's been a struggle and I still have some miles to go to reach my goals, however....Just a few weeks ago I was telling a friend that I thought I would set a goal to do a Disney Run and start training to keep myself on track...This is perfect.
I am in for the 5K and will keep my eyes (and ears) open for more info as it materializes. this is on my calendar as of RIGHT NOW!!!
I have a training goal, and it involves Disney and INTERCOT..This is a good day.
:thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
I am so IN! My sister, Jessica, is also seriously considering joining us. Initially I was just planning on the 5k, but we're dreaming big and going for the half!:mickey:

Melanie
01-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Just updated my original post with the registration opening date. :thumbsup:

Dopey's Girl
01-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Me! Me! I'm so in! Happy to have an official place to talk about it.

I'll participate in the 5k, and will cheer in the rest! Can't wait.

Cheshire_Girl
01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
WoW..I walk 2 miles every night just to get my head together and have some me time...Running has not always been my thing-but I am adding it to my work out. I just realized 5k is only about 3 miles. I have a year to train...Should I go for the 1/2 OMG What to do...
Now I have some serious thinking to do...I can say running in a Disney 1/2 marathon would be quite an accomplishment for me...and would be really magical if I can finish it :)
I am really excited about this !!!!!

BriarRose0708
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Just updated my original post with the registration opening date. :thumbsup:

It's on my calendar! Does anyone know the approximate registration costs? Any guesses based on this year's fees? Just trying to determine budget.:mickey:

Patricia
01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
I would love to come and do the 1/2, but not sure what next years vacation plans look like yet.

For anyone considering the 1/2.. just go for it. You don't have to run the entire time. You can walk/run as long as you maintain a 16 minute mile.

If your worried, you can join a Cliff pace team at the start. They will help you get to the finish line with a smile on your face. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
It's on my calendar! Does anyone know the approximate registration costs? Any guesses based on this year's fees? Just trying to determine budget.:mickey:

This year's half registration cost $150. The 5K was $55.

Disney4us2
01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
How about a Disneyland half marathon meet in Aug/Sept 2013?????:D I am sure we could plan a small scale meet at Disneyland Resort.

Looks like a lot of Intercotees are coming out west for the Dumbo double dare.:dumbo:

Christine
01-17-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm so there!!

Katzateer
01-19-2013, 09:51 AM
If you are there to cheer on the runners do you pay a fee to get in? I have NEVER been a runner - fast walker yes, run no. Even when I logged in miles on the indoor track it wasn't even a jog lol

Sounds like fun to cheer everyone on! And January doesn't seem like a bad time to go after our trip this week.

JMTStone
01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm in for the 5K and for cheering those of you who are way more fit than me and ambitious enough to do the 1/2 or full. :D

I'm in for the 5K but I'll be going slow. Its my first time but I'm getting healthy and this is a perfect incentive. I'll probably be in the cheering section for the full.

I'm hoping its just an adult trip. It may just be me! We'll be calling Magical Journeys because we're out of points in DVC.

Cheshire_Girl
01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
So I started my "training" Really excited!
I was sharing my excitement with my DB and was surprised to learn that he had some interest in doing this as well...but...and there is a big but here....

My friend is in good health, however due to certain health contraints running long distances is not really something that is worth the trouble it would cause him. He can power walk like no ones business-(somedays I feel like I'm running a marathon to keep up with his stride in the park)
I was looking at the time requirements and it says 16 minute Mile-I think most power walkers do a 14-15 Minute mile.(at least-My sister does it in 13mins.)
So basically-he would need to "walk" the race. I am wondering..are there generally others who do this? Would we be the only walkser?
It is my understanding that as long as you maintain 16mm they will not pull you from the course?
Any thoughts?
Anyone else out there willing to train to power walk it and want to get a group of "walkers" together???
Any feed back would be great. I really want to get him to do this!!

Tri Minnie
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
I ran the half a few weeks ago, and it was so much fun. Hopefully, I will get a trip report together. Anyway, I would love to take part in the 2014 festivities. We were thinking 2015, so I am not sure I can convince my husband that next year will fit in our vacation plans :)

BrerGnat
01-22-2013, 11:30 AM
So I started my "training" Really excited!
I was sharing my excitement with my DB and was surprised to learn that he had some interest in doing this as well...but...and there is a big but here....

My friend is in good health, however due to certain health contraints running long distances is not really something that is worth the trouble it would cause him. He can power walk like no ones business-(somedays I feel like I'm running a marathon to keep up with his stride in the park)
I was looking at the time requirements and it says 16 minute Mile-I think most power walkers do a 14-15 Minute mile.(at least-My sister does it in 13mins.)
So basically-he would need to "walk" the race. I am wondering..are there generally others who do this? Would we be the only walkser?
It is my understanding that as long as you maintain 16mm they will not pull you from the course?
Any thoughts?
Anyone else out there willing to train to power walk it and want to get a group of "walkers" together???
Any feed back would be great. I really want to get him to do this!!

From what I understand, there is a specific registration category for "walkers". They get placed in the last start corall. There is still a 16 min mile pace requirement. That is 3.75mph. That's a brisk walking pace. True power walkers go about 4-5mph, on average.

Christine
01-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Most importantly, allow time for bathroom breaks & crowds. I waited 22 minutes for a bathroom at the half 2 weeks ago. That set me back. Also, there are congested areas that bring you to a standstill sometimes throughout the course. Plan on 14.5 min mile to allow wiggle room.

BriarRose0708
01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Got fitted for some proper running shoes today. It makes a world of difference! I'm ready to hit the treadmill :mickey:

I know it's WAY far in advance, but anyone thinking about where they want to stay? I'm a POP devotee, but I am putting my allegiance aside and seriously considering going deluxe. If I'm going to run 13.1 miles, I want good linens and a hot tub! My preferences are Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Grand Floridian :cloud9:

Dopey's Girl
01-27-2013, 01:54 AM
I'm heading back to Beach Club Nikki. Was at Pop last week and I just can't take the crummy sheets, lumpy pillows and thin walls. I loved being able to walk to Epcot and you just can't beat that pool. I'm hoping for a good AP discount, but am totally willing to pay more, just knowing that ill be comfy and able to sleep well!

BrerGnat
01-27-2013, 09:06 AM
We'll definitely be at one of the Epcot deluxes as well. BC/YC first choice, but we'd stay at Boardwalk if we had to. The 5k is at Epcot, and I don't want to have to board a bus at 4:30 am just to get to the race on time. Plus, the half Marathon ends at Epcot, so it will make it easier to return to the hotel afterwards.

AgentC
01-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Most likely Yacht Club or Boardwalk for me.

badkitty
01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
We'll definitely be at one of the Epcot deluxes as well. BC/YC first choice, but we'd stay at Boardwalk if we had to. The 5k is at Epcot, and I don't want to have to board a bus at 4:30 am just to get to the race on time. Plus, the half Marathon ends at Epcot, so it will make it easier to return to the hotel afterwards.

Just a note, I was at BC for this last 5K and they wouldn't let us walk to the start. We had to take the buses.

BriarRose0708
01-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Chatted with the sister last night and I'm so glad she's on the same page with me about staying Deluxe. Her choice is the Grand, mine is Beach Club. I don't think we can go wrong with either, it will just come down to room-only discounts and which is the better deal. I'm just psyched out of my mind that I'm actually going Deluxe!!!

For transportation's sake, I researched this year's marathon weekend and found that bus service is not available to runners at MK monorail resorts on the half and full marathon race days, and bus service only on the 5K day. For the half and full, you take the monorail to the TTC, change to EPCOT, go down the ramp and CMs are there to direct you to the starting area. From what I've read, you do need to take buses to the start from EPCOT area resorts.

BrerGnat
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Just a note, I was at BC for this last 5K and they wouldn't let us walk to the start. We had to take the buses.

I understand that. But, taking a bus from BC to Epcot takes significantly less time than from other resorts, and when the race is over, we can just walk back to our room. I have a sort of weird allergy to my own sweat. I turn really red, blotchy, and itchy when I work out, and I need to take a shower A.S.A.P. I don't want to have to ride a bus in between a run and getting back to my resort. I'm sure DH would appreciate being able to walk back to the resort after a 1/2 as well.

Plus, it is WAY easier to *stumble* back to our room at an Epcot resort after JELLYROLLS!!! :blush:

BrerGnat
01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Nikki, you need to educate your sister on how much it stinks to have to take a bus back to the GF after JELLYROLLS! Because, we WILL be doing Jellyrolls. Count on it. :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Nikki, you need to educate your sister on how much it stinks to have to take a bus back to the GF after JELLYROLLS! Because, we WILL be doing Jellyrolls. Count on it. :thumbsup:

That makes a lot of sense to me! I think she's ok with Beach Club too and I'm crossing my fingers that we end up there. Plus, I'm DYING to use Stormalong Bay!

Cheshire_Girl
01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Ok So I have never done a Disney deluxe, and I have decide that if I'm going to run a half marathon-then dang it-I'm going to pamper myself...But I have no idea where to stay. Reading this thread it looks like maybe Epcot area is not the best?
there just so many choice that I am now feeling overwhelmed...thank god I have time to decide!

badkitty
01-28-2013, 03:30 PM
I understand that. But, taking a bus from BC to Epcot takes significantly less time than from other resorts, and when the race is over, we can just walk back to our room. I have a sort of weird allergy to my own sweat. I turn really red, blotchy, and itchy when I work out, and I need to take a shower A.S.A.P. I don't want to have to ride a bus in between a run and getting back to my resort. I'm sure DH would appreciate being able to walk back to the resort after a 1/2 as well.

Plus, it is WAY easier to *stumble* back to our room at an Epcot resort after JELLYROLLS!!! :blush:

Oh, oops, I get it now. I thought you meant walking over in the morning. Definitely a shorter bus ride.

Staying BC was also a lot of fun cheering the marathoners right by the lagoon!

BriarRose0708
01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Ok So I have never done a Disney deluxe, and I have decide that if I'm going to run a half marathon-then dang it-I'm going to pamper myself...But I have no idea where to stay. Reading this thread it looks like maybe Epcot area is not the best?
there just so many choice that I am now feeling overwhelmed...thank god I have time to decide!
:thumbsup: Good choice! There's no better reason to pamper yourself. I would go back and read the posts again, the EPCOT resorts seem to me like the best choice, especially after the half- no need to wait for a bus to get back to your resort! The MK monorail resorts are the next best option as no need for a bus either but a longer travel time and wait to take monorails.

Nat brings up an excellent point about the EPCOT resorts and proximity to JELLYROLLS!!!:beer:

Dopey's Girl
01-28-2013, 04:32 PM

Can I come?! Can I, PLEASE?!

BrerGnat
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Can I come?! Can I, PLEASE?!

Only if you're ready to ROCK!

Dopey's Girl
01-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Only if you're ready to ROCK!

I promise I am!!! I'm happy you are planning to come Natalie! We have to meet!!!

Cheshire_Girl
01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
So after stepping up my training and realizing last night that I have taken almost a full minute off my mph time in just 2 weeks-I'm feeling like I'm definitely in it and intend to register for the half.
So now I'm trying to figure out where to stay...
I read back thru the posts and it it does seem that Epoct area is the best...BC for those that intend to whoop it up at Jelly Rolls :D(I have never been to Jelly Rolls-it's on the list!)
But on the other hand I have always wanted to stay at the Poly and do the lounge crawl on the monorail line!!:marg:
Any ideas/feedback/advise on where to stay and when to book it? I would think that they marathon weekend fills up rooms pretty fast-but should I book the room pretty soon after the race registration opens?

BrerGnat
01-29-2013, 09:44 AM
So after stepping up my training and realizing last night that I have taken almost a full minute off my mph time in just 2 weeks-I'm feeling like I'm definitely in it and intend to register for the half.
So now I'm trying to figure out where to stay...
I read back thru the posts and it it does seem that Epoct area is the best...BC for those that intend to whoop it up at Jelly Rolls :D(I have never been to Jelly Rolls-it's on the list!)
But on the other hand I have always wanted to stay at the Poly and do the lounge crawl on the monorail line!!:marg:
Any ideas/feedback/advise on where to stay and when to book it? I would think that they marathon weekend fills up rooms pretty fast-but should I book the room pretty soon after the race registration opens?

You can book the room now. If a discount comes out later, you can probably switch your reservation to take advantage of it. Room only reservations can be made 499 days ahead of time.

Melanie
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Just booked at Shades of Green from Thursday-Monday. So excited!! Bringing my son, who will also be running the 5K and will be celebrating his birthday on that day as well. :party: :walk:

Christine
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Just a note- I'm not sure how staying at an Epcot resort helps with race day? Those resorts lead to the back entrance. The races start In the parking lot ??? Now in respect of helping with close proximity to jellyrolls- TOTALLY get that! :thumbsup:

AgentC
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Just booked at Shades of Green from Thursday-Monday. So excited!! Bringing my son, who will also be running the 5K and will be celebrating his birthday on that day as well. :party: :walk:

Yay! Glad he is coming too!

Melanie
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Just a note- I'm not sure how staying at an Epcot resort helps with race day? Those resorts lead to the back entrance. The races start In the parking lot ???

That was discussed upthread.

To be honest though, I don't really think it's any advantage for the races, except that your bus ride will be a bit shorter. Now, I think there was some mention of being able to walk back to the Epcot resorts after the races, but that will only be possible on marathon day. 5K and Half marathon will be wrapped up before the parks open on Friday and Saturday, so you'd still have to bus back to your resort.

That all said, we've now done this 3 years in a row, first year at Animal Kingdom Lodge, last year at Wilderness Lodge and this year at Coronado Springs, and the race transportation is never an issue. They have tons of busses running, and it's convenient and worry free.

This coming year we'll be at Shades of Green and will walk down and take the monorail from the Polynesian. Being down in the TTC area the past few years in order to get to Main Street to cheer the runners, I can attest that if you are up and out your door by 4am, you will be fine. They have all the monorails running, and it never looks too congested getting the runners to Epcot.

Melanie
02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Okay, thought a little more about the 1/2 marathon day, and with the races starting at 5:30, you could walk through Epcot back to the resorts if your finish time will be more than 3 hours. Honestly though, by the time you walk back to the front gate from the finish area, walk through Future World and to the International Gateway, you'd be back at the hotel via bus before that. The resort marathon bus loading area is right beside the finish/reunion area. You aren't having to walk back to the Epcot bus depot.

BrerGnat
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
It's mostly about Jellyrolls for us. :blush:

Also, I can basically only get DH to WDW if he can stay within walking distance of the UK Pub. :beer:

Melanie
02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
It's mostly about Jellyrolls for us. :blush:

Also, I can basically only get DH to WDW if he can stay within walking distance of the UK Pub. :beer:

I get it, I just wanted to make folks aware that it's not all that easy to get back to the Epcot resorts from the finish area, if that's someone's deciding factor.

Now for a race like the ToT 10 miler or the Wine and Dine (where you are partying IN the park after the race), the Epcot resorts are a perfect pick.

Christine
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Sorry, didnt see where that was discussed earlier. I had just been pondering :blush:

I can tell you, if you're old and awkward like me, you won't wanna walk ANYWHERE after your race. Stay wherever there's a bus and ask to be CLOSE to that bus stop. Your poor Jello-legs will thank you! :faint:

BriarRose0708
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Proximity to EPCOT and Jellyrolls is also my #1 reason, but I'd settle for a monorail resort, especially for cheering on the marathon runners Sunday morning.

Question- is it necessary to purchase park tickets in order to run any of the races?

Melanie
02-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Question- is it necessary to purchase park tickets in order to run any of the races?

No, ticket not required.

Nor is a ticket required to get onto Main Street to cheer the runners on 1/2 and full mornings. They let you in at 5:30am (sharp, no joke). You can get only as far as the Hub area.

BriarRose0708
02-01-2013, 04:46 PM
No, ticket not required.

Nor is a ticket required to get onto Main Street to cheer the runners on 1/2 and full mornings. They let you in at 5:30am (sharp, no joke). You can get only as far as the Hub area.

Thanks Mel! I am planning on getting park tickets but my sister is not, so just wanted to check.

Yungbuck73
02-05-2013, 03:02 PM
So since I opened my mouth and said I would do the 5k, I'm gonna do it. Question for all the experienced runners, I am a mess right now, and know I have just under a year to get ready, is it overambitious to aim to do 5k and 1/2? Or should I just focus on trying to do 5k and not kill myself in the process?

JMTStone
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm doing the 5K and will cheer on my INTERCOTEE runners in my Yeti shirt the other days.... now... what other color Yeti shirt should I buy? I have a Yellow one.

Melanie
02-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm doing the 5K and will cheer on my INTERCOTEE runners in my Yeti shirt the other days.... now... what other color Yeti shirt should I buy? I have a Yellow one.

We're actually planning on special shirts for the weekend. :)

BrerGnat
02-05-2013, 04:13 PM
So since I opened my mouth and said I would do the 5k, I'm gonna do it. Question for all the experienced runners, I am a mess right now, and know I have just under a year to get ready, is it overambitious to aim to do 5k and 1/2? Or should I just focus on trying to do 5k and not kill myself in the process?

I really recommend the C25K (couch to 5k) training app. It is really great and you can start with getting up to doing a 5k. There are also programs for 5 to 10k, Couch to 10k, 5k to half Marathon, 10k to half Marathon, couch to half Marathon, etc.

If you are truly a beginning runner, start small. Injuries occur when you get overly confident or over ambitious and increase your distance too fast. You need to gradually work up. A year is plenty long enough to go from couch to half Marathon, if that is what you want to aim for. The 5k the day before the half will be a nice easy training run.

Personally, I have been running for many, many years. However, I am just not destined to be a distance runner. I have issues with my knees/hips due to slight scoliosis. I can do up to about 4 miles comfortably and then the pains begin. I would love to say I ran a half Marathon, but I just can't. I also get exercise induced migraines if I push myself too hard. My point in all this is you never know how your own body will react to distance running, so it is wise to start with a goal you feel really confident you can achieve. If you start NOW, you will have enough time to decide if the half is something you think you can do. The C25K is a 9 week program. If you complete it before the race registration, you can have a better feel for what you want to sign up for.

Dopey's Girl
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2332786]I really recommend the C25K (couch to 5k) training app. It is really great and you can start with getting up to doing a 5k. There are also programs for 5 to 10k, Couch to 10k, 5k to half Marathon, 10k to half Marathon, couch to half Marathon, etc. [QUOTE]

I was just going to suggest this app! I started using it about a week ago. It starts you slow, so I feel like I'm accomplishing something each time I use it! Love it so far!!!

Dopey's Girl
02-05-2013, 04:30 PM

So excited for this! I love event shirts!!

Cheshire_Girl
02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
shirts...Special Shirts...OMG...
I am so going to make my DB wear one of these while cheering me on! Now, I just gotta get myself ready to go. I'm having trouble with finding the right shoes, however I did find the right app. C25K is awesome-was going to suggest it but was beaten to the punch
I do intend to do the half, but realistically I will be power walking it. I just don't have the distance run in me. A friend of mine suggested I do a 5k at some point this year as part of my training. I was thinking about doing the ToT 5k..and party of course!Is anyone else doing this one?
And as a side note...Any local St Pete/Tampa runners out there that want to a) train together if you're a newbie, or b) help train a newbie? none of my friends are excited about RunDisney. They are poopers...Its easier to stay motivated and on track with something new if you have someone who shares the interest with you :)
And OMG...Special Shirts, did I mention this excites me!
:blush:

Melanie
02-05-2013, 04:48 PM
I was just going to suggest this app! I started using it about a week ago. It starts you slow, so I feel like I'm accomplishing something each time I use it! Love it so far!!!

It's a really great app, and I was using it year before last year when training for the 5K. Then my pesky hip issue reared it's ugly head, and I had to cut back. But, I was able to jog/power walk the 5K and it worked out fine.

After I get myself used to working out again, I think I will give the Couch to 5K another try and see how my hip reacts.

Good luck, Justin! If you don't get up to the 1/2, we'll have a blast cheering for everyone else. :cheer:

Melanie
02-05-2013, 04:51 PM
LOL! Yes, special shirts. We really want to get the INTERCOT representation out there! :rocks:

John can do dri-fit running shirts for us, or regular t-shirts, or maybe both. As the time gets closer, we'll start a separate thread for ideas. :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
02-05-2013, 05:12 PM
LOL! Yes, special shirts. We really want to get the INTERCOT representation out there! :rocks:

John can do dri-fit running shirts for us, or regular t-shirts, or maybe both. As the time gets closer, we'll start a separate thread for ideas. :thumbsup:

YAY Shirts!!! I've been wearing my iCot shirts to the gym as inspiration.

Cheshire_Girl, have you tried going to Fleet Feet or a similar running store? I was clueless about running shoes, and after getting some bad blisters I needed help picking which ones were right for me. I went to Fleet Feet and had a really good experience. They put you in a basic running shoe and actually record you jogging on a treadmill. Then play it back in slow motion and have you try on certain styles that will suit you based on how you run. Then you can run again in the shoes you're considering to see how they feel. They also have different insoles you can try. I found it to be really informative. FF also offers group runs for FREE most weekends, from sprints to distance. I hope there's one in your area to check out!

You can do it Justin!!! Having the flu now is no fun but when you get better try the couch to 5k app and see how it goes.

BrerGnat
02-05-2013, 05:52 PM
lol! Yes, special shirts. We really want to get the intercot representation out there! :rocks:

Dri fit! Yes!!!!!

I think our shirt should feature a running Yeti with a FIXED arm. ;)

MelissaW
02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
DH, DD and I are in! DH and I started Weight Watchers last May and of course, DH lost waaaay more weight than me! For now!!! But I'm getting serious again! He lost 72 lbs so far! Woo Hoo Way to go DH! MariaK and I have been talking about doing this event and told me about how you all have been tweeting and facebooking about this. Wow am I way behind! But count the three of us in! My DD is 10 and she did CC last year and is excited to do a run at Disney World! Yeah! Now I have a very cool goal to set and work toward! :rocks::mickey:

MelissaW
02-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Dri-Fit running shirts with Yeti's on them would be so cool!!! Just a suggestion! I really cannot wait for this event and meet! I downloaded the C25K app and have been just been too lazy to start doing it! Started walking my stairs in my office building. I work on the 12th floor. Working my way up several flights at a time. But now its time to get down to business! C25K here I come!:thumbsup:

Christine
02-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Sooooo excited about the shirts! I get perturbed at every race hearing the announcers say "oh look! The gang from All Ears have arrived in their corral". :D
Let's represent out there!! :). Go team INTERCOT! :cheer:

When I started running almost 2 years ago, I started with Couch to 5K. I love that app! It's amazing to think the 30 seconds of running were too much for me and I had to stop. Now I can do a 1/2?! Wow.

Don't give up guys! You can do it! Moving is moving- I'm slow and awkward and am the first to admit that, but I'm out there MOVING!! That's all it takes. Don't let it daunt you. You're gonna be out there rocking the 5Ks and 1/2s!!

I'm so pumped about this meet! Woohoo!

We will train hard, race hard, cheer on our fellow ICOT friends, and then rehydrate at Jellyrolls!!! ;)

JMTStone
02-06-2013, 06:45 AM
We will train hard, race hard, cheer on our fellow ICOT friends, and then rehydrate at Jellyrolls!!! ;)

I loved your pictures on INTERCOT's twitter from the last run you did. You SHOULD be proud.

I've decided to use my USAir miles for this, which means I'll be stopping in some random city because they don't go straight to MCO and I figure for our upcoming July trip, we will change my ticket to Annual pass.

Then all I have to do is call Denise at Magical Journeys. Beach Club or Boardwalk.

Dopey's Girl
02-06-2013, 08:46 AM
I just have to say that knowing this group is all going to do this together (and that so many of us are first timers) is really motivating me! I've wanted to lose some weight for a long time, but this is finally giving me the push to get serious about it, and I love that!

I love my Intercot friends!!

BriarRose0708
02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
I just have to say that knowing this group is all going to do this together (and that so many of us are first timers) is really motivating me! I've wanted to lose some weight for a long time, but this is finally giving me the push to get serious about it, and I love that!

:hug: Love you too! I am so excited to see you all and run/cheer. It's keeping me motivated too. I've also started blogging about this whole running experience, there's a link to it on my profile page here if anyone's interested in checking it out. It's definitely new territory for me!

And if anyone is still on the fence about signing up for any of the runDisney races or just apprehensive about running in general, download the latest Podcast #46 and listen to Christine talk about her journey! I was listening on my run last night and was getting so inspired and motivated. You really lifted me up Christine!

Cheshire_Girl
02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=BriarRose0708;2332811]Cheshire_Girl, have you tried going to Fleet Feet or a similar running store? I was clueless about running shoes, and after getting some bad blisters I needed help picking which ones were right for me. I went to Fleet Feet and had a really good experience. They put you in a basic running shoe and actually record you jogging on a treadmill. Then play it back in slow motion and have you try on certain styles that will suit you based on how you run. Then you can run again in the shoes you're considering to see how they feel. They also have different insoles you can try. I found it to be really informative. FF also offers group runs for FREE most weekends, from sprints to distance. I hope there's one in your area to check out!

[QUOTE]

I had never heard of Fleet Feet...Lucky me, there is one not too far, about an hour drive-with plenty of other things to do around town. I think I'm going to go this weekend and make a day of it. I really hope this helps. I will walk the race of I have to...but the more I think about it and the more I train, the more I really want to be able to run it. And I think I can if I get better shoes!!!

Patricia
02-06-2013, 10:22 AM
If a RunDisney is your first event you will do well.. I had no running experience and only trained 5 months before running the Disneyland half with a hernia..

I did run with a Clif Pace group and found them to be very beneficial.. they told us what to do every inch of the way. What to drink, when to drink it or just pour it over our heads. How to run uphill, not that that is an issue in Florida.. to put your hands out at first aid (they squirt on a wonderful gel you rub on your burning thighs that cools them right down) Have an ache? Call it out to First aid as you approach and you get pain killers as you're running by.

If there is a group of you "new runners" doing the half, I'd recommend joining a 3 hour pace group and you will make it all the way through the run together. They will walk/jog the entire race and entertain you all the way through it. They were a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

Melanie
02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
If there is a group of you "new runners" doing the half, I'd recommend joining a 3 hour pace group and you will make it all the way through the run together. They will walk/jog the entire race and entertain you all the way through it. They were a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

True! Those pace groups always look like they are having fun when they pass by.

Cheshire_Girl
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM

Is this something I need to do at registration? The day of the race? Can I just tell someone I want to do that when I show up for the start or do I need to find a group my self and make sure I start with them? This is all very new to me...

PirateLover
02-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Sooo I just stumbled upon this thread. Did not even realize this had been made official! I knew there were rumblings... awesome! I am in for the 5K. I am not as active on Twitter lately but if you follow me on there you know I've been doing C25K myself. I'm on week 5 and it's definitely getting tougher on me. I have asthma and I'm actually surprised at how good my breath control is (I do use an inhaler before I run), but it's my feet/ankles that are the killer. Knees are fine, calves burn a bit but not intolerable. It's everything below calves. I know I need a better pair of shoes but finances are pretty low right now. :spend: Also I hate the way most running shoes look these days and have a hard time justifying an ugly purchase :blush: I had a gift card to DSW so I used that to buy a pair of black New Balance "running" shoes that have a trace of pink (previously I had been jogging in my black and white Reebok Classics) and my feet/ankles actually felt less supported in the NB shoes. I got a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts so I'll see if I feel any better when I run tomorrow...otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and look into a serious pair of shoes. I recognize that I could injure myself if I'm not in a good shoe. Never heard of Fleet Feet either, but low and behold there is one just down the road!

Cheshire_Girl
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
I had never heard of Fleet Feet either-and I found 1 about an hour away from me. Then on my lunch yesterday-I found a place right by my office called Foot Solutions-they also do shoe "fittings" with all the same fancy schmancy tech stuff, and they have a decent selection of shoes to choose from-so if any one is looking for shoe fittings there is another option.

I'm going on Saturday :) And it is not soon enough-I really hurt myself last week with bad shoes :(

BriarRose0708
02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
So excited you're joining us, Maryanne! I feel the same way about the NB running shoes I had before, they offered almost no support when running but I like wearing them when on the Elliptical and strength classes. Your insoles will probably help.

Cody- glad you found a similar store that's also more local! More and more stores are popping up and some are small businesses as opposed to a chain, like Fleet Feet. Let us know how it goes and what kind of shoes you end up with.

Cheshire_Girl
02-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Well I bit the bullet and went and got some real running shoes. I did the whole "fitting" thing at Foot Solutions.
They do not have you on a tread mill to take your stride measure or anything like that. But they have you stand on this thing that measures your arch and your heal and stuff. Still pretty cool. But didn't tell me anything I don't already know. I have a very high arch. I always have trouble with shoes because of this. He fitted me in a pair of Brooks (Ghosts!) At first I didn't like them and wanted to try a pair with a bit more arch support, because this is what I usually look for. He obliged...and I ended up getting the one he orignally fitted me in! I thought the whole shoe fitting thing was hokem used to get me to shell out way too much on a pair of shoes...until I compared my shoe pick with his shoe pick!!! They feel good. Nice padding in the heal (I am a stomper-I bruised my foot so bad I have hardly been able to walk for a week just from wearing a bad pair of sneakers stalking the parks a few weekends ago!)
So tonight I officially started the C25K training. I've been doing it off and on-about 1 day a week for a while-but now I am officially going to use the programm like you're supposed to.Starting from the beginning.
The shoes feel good but I'm not convinced after 1 night that it was worth what I just paid. I hope so.
Now I'm headed over the to the ToT 10 miler thread to see what's going on there. I think I'm going to do the 5k that weekend . Hopefully I'll see some of you over at that thread too ;)

badkitty
02-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Hey Cheshire_Girl,

Brooks Ghost was my first pair of running shoes! I loved them but while training for my first half marathon, I though I needed a bit more in the sole. I was fitted into the Brooks Glycerin 8 next and fell in love. I'm needing a new pair now so not sure what to. I really didn't like the feel if the Glycerin 9 and now there is a model 10 out. Maybe I should go back to the Ghost.

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-10-2013, 08:42 PM

You couldn't have stated it any better!!! This is the perfect way for me to lose weight with a goal I can't resist DISNEY!!! Can't wait to start the couch to 5k. I'm currently healing from some broken toes:-( ironically I broke my toes moving my treadmill. The day we purchased it we were moving in down the cellar stairs and I tried to help. Bad choice!!!! Moving in down the stairs and my toes were in the wrong place and dropped I it on top of my toes. Ouch! As soon I get the all clear I'm going to start training. See you all at the race:cloud9:

Melanie
02-10-2013, 09:29 PM
See you all at the race:cloud9:

So excited you'll be joining us! Good luck with your training.

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-10-2013, 09:44 PM
So excited you'll be joining us! Good luck with your training.

Patricia
02-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Is this something I need to do at registration? The day of the race? Can I just tell someone I want to do that when I show up for the start or do I need to find a group my self and make sure I start with them? This is all very new to me...

There is an Expo before the race. You get your bag of goodies and your race bib there. They have a trade show and you will find a Clif booth there. Ask which corral the group you wish to join is meeting in, I was able to meet my pacers right at the booth as well.. it was them that convinced me to join them. They told me to look for their balloons in corral C (I was slated for E as I had no prior 1/2 marathon time.) Once I convinced (ok, begged) the staffer at corral C to let me in, it was easy to spot them. We had other runners join us in route as they felt they needed some help. I was able to leave my group with 2 miles left and run it home, finishing in less than the 3 hours. That last stretch has so many people cheering you on by name, you really get caught up in the moment.

You can get information about Marathon Pace Team (http://www.clifbar.com/play/pace_team/ ) on the Clif website.

Tri Minnie
02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
I am not sure how easy it will be to get into a pace group if the pace group is not in the corral you are assigned. Although I have run a handful of half marathons, I did not have a time within the last two years and was assigned corral F. I did ask at the expo if it was possible to be moved to a different corral so I could run with a 2:00 or 2:15 pace group. I explained that I did not have a recent time due to the birth of three children in the last 4 1/2 years. I was told it was not possible to run with these groups if I was not in that corral. While I understand they need to set parameters, I must admit to feeling a little frustrated. It did not feel very mom friendly.

Despite this setback, I really enjoyed the race and now have a time for next year :) So I think the one caveat is that you might not be as lucky as Patricia and could end up in a corral that doesn't include the pace group you want to run with.

Cheshire_Girl
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I have to admit-the whole coral and pace group and Clif pace and all this jargon has me very confused and is actually making me not want to do this. I may be totally mis understanding-it seems to me that if I have a friend running-and they don't have a time either, that there is no way for us to ensure we are in the same start coral-it is just randomly assigned? So I may not be abel to run with my friends?? Or am I just over re-acting because I am feeling over whelmed??
I don't really care about a pace group at this point. I just want to know what I need to do to make sure I am running with people I want to run with (like some other Intercotee first timers that just want to make sure we all start out with people we know!)

BrerGnat
02-11-2013, 04:48 PM
I have to admit-the whole coral and pace group and Clif pace and all this jargon has me very confused and is actually making me not want to do this. I may be totally mis understanding-it seems to me that if I have a friend running-and they don't have a time either, that there is no way for us to ensure we are in the same start coral-it is just randomly assigned? So I may not be abel to run with my friends?? Or am I just over re-acting because I am feeling over whelmed??
I don't really care about a pace group at this point. I just want to know what I need to do to make sure I am running with people I want to run with (like some other Intercotee first timers that just want to make sure we all start out with people we know!)

Don't overthink it. I think that's the best advice you can get at this point.

I would not put much faith in being able to join a pace group in a corral that you are not assigned to. From what I have read, it is HIGHLY discouraged to try and get yourself into an alternate corral than the one you are placed into. It is done in a very fair way, and being a first time runner, you will be put where you are put, and it will all be okay! The worst thing you can do is get put into a corral with people who want to run faster than you, and then either be trampled at the start, or feel like you have to "keep up pace" with the whole corral at the start, thus burning yourself out early.

Your time will be your time. Your time will start when the corral is let loose, so it makes no difference, really.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, running is a VERY solitary activity. I do not like to run with others and I absolutely do NOT want to be involved in a conversation while I'm running. I plug my headphones in, and zone out to the music (or podcast, as it were). I hate the feeling when I am running with other people and I feel like I have to keep up with them, or slow down to accommodate someone who is straggling. A pace group would not work for me, because who is to say that their pace will match my needs? Sometimes I like to stop and walk, for various reasons. I like to be on my own program.

I think the best we can do on this race is wear the ICOT t-shirt and just do it! Don't be too concerned with anyone else, just run for you!

Of course, this is just how I feel about it. Others will have a completely opposing opinion. Do what works for you, is what I say!

Oh, and today I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill and had NO pain. At all. Usually, my pain starts around the 4 mile mark. Maybe the 1/2 will be in my future after all...

BriarRose0708
02-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Oh, and today I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill and had NO pain. At all. Usually, my pain starts around the 4 mile mark. Maybe the 1/2 will be in my future after all...

:yeti: Go Nat!

Cody, relax sweetie! I won't have a previous half marathon time to send to runDisney when I register for the half, but I've been advised by a friend who ran this year to find a 10K to do in the fall, and then update runDisney with that time to get a more accurate corral placement. My sister is coming with me, but we will not likely be in the same corral because we have different paces and neither of us wants to hold the other one back. For a first time runner, you don't want to overdo it by being in a corral that is going too quickly for your comfortable pace.

If you're nervous about running by yourself and need a buddy, once we're registered and the marathon weekend gets closer I'm sure we will post our corral assignments as they come in and find that many of us will be together.

Maybe it would be helpful to post a runDisney FAQ sticky with some definitions of runner-speak and a general outline of how corral placements work? The runDisney blog and website have been really helpful for me.

Tri Minnie
02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I didn't mean to panic you. My understanding is that you can always start in a corral behind you. So if you have a friend you want to run with, you just start together in the lower letter corral. In fact, I saw a few people doing this. So, no worries! It is a lot of fun and not nearly as stressful as it sounds.

badkitty
02-11-2013, 06:30 PM
My understanding is that you can always start in a corral behind you. So if you have a friend you want to run with, you just start together in the lower letter corral.

This is true. They do not discourage a person from entering a corral behind the one assigned. I was assigned E last year and went with my friend to corral G to which she was assigned. They would not let her run in E with me.

You will have a blast! It is so much fun to run down Main Street and through the castle!!

BrerGnat
02-11-2013, 06:43 PM
I should have clarified. I meant they do not let people move "up" their corral placement. Anyone can move "down" if they desire.

Cheshire_Girl
02-12-2013, 08:24 AM
If you're nervous about running by yourself and need a buddy, once we're registered and the marathon weekend gets closer I'm sure we will post our corral assignments as they come in and find that many of us will be together.

Maybe it would be helpful to post a runDisney FAQ sticky with some definitions of runner-speak and a general outline of how corral placements work? The runDisney blog and website have been really helpful for me.

I know-I am over thinking it and getting stressed out over nothing. I definitely don't want to get in a group that is faster than my pace... I know it will work out, I just don't know how it works and that is making things very confusing.
I think an FAQ sticky would be very helpful. I know I'm not the only first timer in training for this :)

Patricia
02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Well, let me say.. no need to stress. :mickey:

It's the happiest run (or walk) in the world. Entertainment, costumed entrants, lots of fun. No matter where you are you will have a good time. You will be able to run with your friend. Just pick the farthest back corral and enjoy yourselves. No need to join any group if you don't want to. That was only a suggestion.

I like to chat and be chatted at while on the move, so a pace team was great for me. I had to find and ask a cast member to move me up. The volunteer at the gate had no authority and told me to go find an official.. and he only let me in there because I was joining the pace team. Again, no guarantees.

I received my qualifying time by running a local 10k, unfortunately my time was horrible as I dropped off in agony, which is how I found out I had a hernia. My very poor time put me in the F corral. A good time in a short local run would place you farther up the line.

IceCreamBeer
02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I will be there !:beer:

Melanie
02-22-2013, 01:25 PM

:offtopic:, but oh no you didn't!!! :D

:funny: :cheers:

BriarRose0708
02-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Cheryl? Is that you, lol! :beer:

IceCreamBeer
02-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Yes! How did you know? :beer:

BrerGnat
02-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Uh oh...she's officially one of us now. ;)

Welcome to the boards, Cheryl! :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Yes! How did you know? :beer:

You're the only senorita who didn't have a screen name, lol! You picked a good one!:beer:

disneygoofball
03-14-2013, 10:16 AM
So I just saw this thread and think it's awesome! I haven't seen anyone mention it yet (although I may have missed it in 5 pages of posts), is anyone doing the Goofy Challenge? I'm planning on registering for it. My current plan is to take the 1/2 pretty easy and focus on the full. Just curious what others are doing. :mickey:

cer
03-14-2013, 01:26 PM
So I just saw this thread and think it's awesome! I haven't seen anyone mention it yet (although I may have missed it in 5 pages of posts), is anyone doing the Goofy Challenge? I'm planning on registering for it. My current plan is to take the 1/2 pretty easy and focus on the full. Just curious what others are doing. :mickey:

Yup! My husband and I are. (Actually we are doing the 'Unofficial Dopey' and running the family 5K as well.) The way we figured it, we would be doing a training run the day before the half to work out any kinks anyway, may as well run with everyone else! :thumbsup:

Nervous- but very excited.

Running the Capital 10K in Austin on April 7. Hoping to improve my corral placement.

Registration opens on April 9, everybody! :mickey:

dnickels
03-15-2013, 09:09 AM

I'll be doing my 4th Goofy in a row. :thumbsup:

Melanie
03-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Wow! Long time, Beth. :welcome: back to INTERCOT!

As you can see, a few are running the Goofy. My hubby normally does, but is skipping '14 in favor of doing it for the 10th anniversary in '15.

Good luck in your training!

disneygoofball
03-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Melanie!! :D It has been a loooong time, but I've been quite a ways away. Getting back into the groove now. :blush: Looking forward to hopefully seeing some familiar faces at the race meet up!

Cer, I was thinking about doing the 5K as a warm up as well, but I didn't want to tell my husband I'd be spending another $50+ on a run. Maybe if I just charge it to the Disney card and pay it off, he'll never even notice...:thedolls:

Melanie
03-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks, Melanie!! :D It has been a loooong time, but I've been quite a ways away. Getting back into the groove now. :blush: Looking forward to hopefully seeing some familiar faces at the race meet up!

Did you marry someone in the service?

disneygoofball
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Did you marry someone in the service?

Nope, not in the service. I got married in '06 to a SoCal guy and lived there for a few years (Disneyland annual passes!!:thumbsup:), and then we moved to Eastern Europe where we've been doing mission work. We'll be heading back Stateside in two months, and I can hardly wait! :mickey:

Melanie
03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Wow! Amazing. What awesome memories and experiences for sure. Well, welcome back soon!! Living in Japan for 3 years, I was so ready to get home, so I get it.

disneygoofball
03-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Wow! Amazing. What awesome memories and experiences for sure. Well, welcome back soon!! Living in Japan for 3 years, I was so ready to get home, so I get it.

Thanks! Were you there with the military? My mother-in-law was born on base in Japan - her dad was Navy. Nothin' like the good old U.S. of A., though!

Melanie
03-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks! Were you there with the military? My mother-in-law was born on base in Japan - her dad was Navy. Nothin' like the good old U.S. of A., though!

We were. :flag:

Melanie
03-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Okay guys, we need an hashtag for this event! I'm tweeting right now with mariak about it, and realized we should come up with something official and start getting it out there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Help, because I'm really terrible at this kind of thing. :yes:

BriarRose0708
03-16-2013, 11:52 AM
how about #runintercot ? Too many characters? #runICOT ?

If it's general like that it can be used by any of our members/podcast listeners running at any runDisney event so we can follow along all year round.

Melanie
03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
I like those, Nikki. Let's see what others think and/or suggest, and then ultimately we'll run it by John.

BriarRose0708
03-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks. Also thought of #ICOTruns in case the others are too close to the official language Disney uses. Dang copyrights.

PirateLover
03-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I like #ICOTruns! :mickey::thumbsup:

JMTStone
03-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Training is going well. I *think* I'll be ready for the 1/2:yeti: and cheer and help hold the INTERCOT banner for our friends for the whole.:rocks::yay::high5:

Its going to be an adult only trip for me. I'm considering taking my girlfriend instead of husband. :plot:

I hope we are planning a post - evening out. I missed Jellyrolls at ICOT15.:beer::marg:

LuckyMum22
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Count me in! I'll be running with my hubby (LuckyDad22!)
Looks like my very first Full Marathon - I'll need all the cheering I can get and we'll be there to cheer on everyone else for the other races - :number1:
Can't wait!

BriarRose0708
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Count me in! I'll be running with my hubby (LuckyDad22!)
Looks like my very first Full Marathon - I'll need all the cheering I can get and we'll be there to cheer on everyone else for the other races - :number1:
Can't wait!

Glad you both will be joining us!!!:mickey:

disneygoofball
03-22-2013, 05:10 PM
AAAAAHHHH! I just read the release about the new Dopey Challenge. I'm so conflicted...I don't know what to do! Anyone planning on signing up for it?:eek::help:

Melanie
03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
My DH is going to do it, Beth. He can't resist. He did the inaugural Goofy, is doing the inaugural Dumbo at DL, and now is signing up for the inaugural Dopey. I personally think he's crazy, but hey, he enjoys it. That weekend you'll find him either on the race course, or back in our room icing and sleeping.

Looks like the move of the 5K to Thursday is not meeting with all positive responses. The runDisney FB is an interesting read right now. I know it certainly threw us for a loop, but I've got our hotel reservations changed, which is immediately what I thought of when I heard the day change. :whew:

I'm just glad we hadn't decided on any official ICOT functions, etc. yet, because those would have surely had to have been changed.

disneygoofball
03-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Wow, I'm definitely impressed by your husband, Melanie! :tiphat: I'm headed to the runDisney fb page now to check out all the hubbub.

The way I figure it, it's just another 10 miles in 2 days, so at this point, when I'm already mentally committed to the Goofy Challenge, why not do it? On the other hand, it's $500, plus room and food, and not a ton of walking around the parks (since I'll be getting plenty of mileage in on the courses). Sigh...at least I have a couple more weeks to figure it out. :crazy:

Katzateer
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
If anyone is at WDW does t cost to get in the park that early to cheer on the runners?

Melanie
03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
If anyone is at WDW does t cost to get in the park that early to cheer on the runners?

The only park you can enter early to cheer on the runners is the Magic Kingdom, and even then, the cheer area is restricted to Main Street. Gates open at 5:30am, and it's best to get right in and get your spot. People will crowd in 2 and 3 deep behind you. There is no cost.

A little tip - they are very strict on not opening the gates until 5:30am, and even going so far as to not even stopping the monorail at the MK stop until then. They were stopping at all the hotels and the TTC to pick up runners. What I did this year was ride the monorail to the Contemporary from the TTC, then walked over to the MK and was one of the first in line.

jonahbear2006
03-26-2013, 03:11 AM
for those of you saying you only walk 2 miles or havent really done this before or trained before, let me tell you....I trained for last year's half for the first time and I completed it in 2:55...time to spare. I ran virtually all of the race. I have 5 kids, all 2 years apart, the youngest is 2 1/2 right now. It is so incredibly possible that I wish you knew so it would help push you even harder. I have asthma and I didn't do tons of running before I showed up. I mostly walked w my husband each evening but some nights I walked 9 miles at a time. If you follow a training schedule like in the book, Train Like a Mother or the Run Disney training program, you will succeed 110%. That being said, if you haven't done this before, expect this to be somewhat of a chaotic nightmare. Plan for time to spare at the expo, getting back and forth, and not being able to get right back to the hotel afterwards. This is probably the biggest crowd of people you've ever seen at WDW.

JMTStone
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
I help train, I'm participating in the "Dirty Girl Mud Run". Mostly fun run for a good cause (Women's cancers). Then there's the Komen Race for the Cure to really get settled into a good routine.

I'm making my call to Magical Journeys to reserve room.

I think we decided on Beach Club/Boardwalk Area for a lot of #ICOTRun.... correct?

Greenlawler
03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
I have run 5 Goofy's and 6 DW Marathon's. I am running the Dumbo at DL and seriously considering doing the Dopey.

If you guys meet up let me know. I have not been on intercot in a while but "likes2workout" is a good friend and suggested my DW and I re-engage by checking out the runDisney forum.

As far as anyone being able to do a marathon.
My wife hardly trains, she's in nursing school, has three boys to run after, and still manages to finish the Goofy...with likes2workout help. I think her longest training run was 6 miles last year.

badkitty
03-27-2013, 02:49 PM
I have run 5 Goofy's and 6 DW Marathon's. I am running the Dumbo at DL and seriously considering doing the Dopey.

If you guys meet up let me know. I have not been on intercot in a while but "likes2workout" is a good friend and suggested my DW and I re-engage by checking out the runDisney forum.

As far as anyone being able to do a marathon.
My wife hardly trains, she's in nursing school, has three boys to run after, and still manages to finish the Goofy...with likes2workout help. I think her longest training run was 6 miles last year.

Awesome! Welcome back! Maybe you and your wife can post tips for us novices on the checkin and encouragement page. We'd love advice!

JMTStone
04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
I can register today (DVC member) but I'm not sure about some of these questions. I will be doing the 10K or 1/2 and cheering the rest of you on for the rest. I don't know how to answer some of the questions.

Are there any first timers doing the 10K I can run with? Are you doing the retreat as well?

Also, I have to call Magical Journeys so where are most of us staying?

JMTStone
04-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Signed up and paid for the 5K. I'm to scared to do the 1/2 or 10K as I also want to enjoy the weekend. And in Pittsburgh... its hard to training the winter. 5 miles on the Elliptical 3 days a week is not like running. Will need extra shirts to wear to cheer everyone else on as well.

Anyway.... I'm still thinking Boardwalk (to be near JellyRolls) and Jon wants to come. But I'm not bringing any kids.

BrerGnat
04-10-2013, 08:48 AM
My husband and I are in for the 10K and my husband will be doing the Half.

Unfortunately, we can't get there early enough to do the 5K. :( My mom will be watching our boys for us, but she has limited mobility and energy in general, and 3 days is the most I can really feel comfortable leaving her to watch our boys.

Our plan is to fly in Thursday morning and back out Sunday morning.

Not sure where we will be staying yet. Will figure that out when Disney actually makes it possible to look at availability for January.

BriarRose0708
04-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Unfortunately, we can't get there early enough to do the 5K. :( My mom will be watching our boys for us, but she has limited mobility and energy in general, and 3 days is the most I can really feel comfortable leaving her to watch our boys.

Not sure where we will be staying yet. Will figure that out when Disney actually makes it possible to look at availability for January.

Yeah! So glad to see you again Nat! Hopefully there will be a nice bounceback rate for you on your August trip so you can book then!

Dopey's Girl
04-10-2013, 10:02 AM

Yay! We have to meet this time!!! I missed you in October!

AgentC
04-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Yay Natalie!. I'm excited to see you again. I don't know where I am staying yet either. I am trying to convince my husband and mom to stay with my kids and bring them over Friday night. That would give me Wed, Thurs and most of Friday alone and then the family here Fri-Sun.

BrerGnat
04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah! So glad to see you again Nat! Hopefully there will be a nice bounceback rate for you on your August trip so you can book then!

Ooh, didn't even think of that! Thanks for the reminder.

BrerGnat
04-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Yay! We have to meet this time!!! I missed you in October!

Definitely!

Yungbuck73
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
All registered for the 5K. Question for anyone not running. My wife is NOT running and was wondering where everyone who isn't running are gonna be hanging out? I don't want to leave her alone while I attempt to not make a fool of myself running. Thanks for any info and cant wait to see everyone. ALso I asked on FB but where is everyone thinking of staying? We will be down from Wednesday till sunday then doing the Disney Dream 4 night cruise.

Melanie
04-10-2013, 04:12 PM
All registered for the 5K. Question for anyone not running. My wife is NOT running and was wondering where everyone who isn't running are gonna be hanging out? I don't want to leave her alone while I attempt to not make a fool of myself running. Thanks for any info and cant wait to see everyone. ALso I asked on FB but where is everyone thinking of staying? We will be down from Wednesday till sunday then doing the Disney Dream 4 night cruise.

Justin, Christine and I need to put our heads together and come up with some ideas and work out some of the logistics for the 'meet'. I'm hoping we'll have an organized cheering group.

Yungbuck73
04-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Ok sounds great I have the utmost confidence that the 2 of you will come up with something great.

BrerGnat
04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Justin, Christine and I need to put our heads together and come up with some ideas and work out some of the logistics for the 'meet'. I'm hoping we'll have an organized cheering group.

Yeah, for the half, I'm going to need some cheering buddies! I'm down with traveling as a pack to the different spectator areas.

Melanie
04-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Yeah, for the half, I'm going to need some cheering buddies! I'm down with traveling as a pack to the different spectator areas.

For the half, I'm definitely going to suggest we meet early and cheer on Main Street, then move to the bus loading area at Epcot to see our runners just before they finish.

Dsnygirl
04-11-2013, 04:28 AM
So, we are out... totally have not been keeping up with Disney events, and didn't even realize registration was open until yesterday... went online tonight to just see how much the 10K would be, and BAM!! Sold out! Holy smokes... I wouldn't have been ready to commit to it until fall anyway, so there wasn't even a stones throw chance we would have made it in. :(

Guess we will catch you all at the next meet!! :)

JMTStone
04-11-2013, 08:37 AM

Your wife and my husband can hang out. His knees won't take it. I did sign him up for the next day's breakfast with me.

I'll be staying at the Boardwalk. Ready for any Jellyrolls activity.

BriarRose0708
04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
So, we are out... totally have not been keeping up with Disney events, and didn't even realize registration was open until yesterday... went online tonight to just see how much the 10K would be, and BAM!! Sold out! Holy smokes... I wouldn't have been ready to commit to it until fall anyway, so there wasn't even a stones throw chance we would have made it in. :(

Guess we will catch you all at the next meet!! :)
:( Sorry we won't see you this time around.

BriarRose0708
04-11-2013, 09:00 AM
I'll be staying at the Boardwalk. Ready for any Jellyrolls activity.
:thumbsup: We'll be at Beach Club if not the Yacht Club! Can't wait for Jellyrolls!

Dopey's Girl
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
:thumbsup: We'll be at Beach Club if not the Yacht Club! Can't wait for Jellyrolls!

I'm doing Beach/Yacht Club too Nikki! Love that area so much, and intend on enjoying Stormalong Bay as much as I can!

BrerGnat
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
We are also aiming for Beach or Yacht Club. I guess we'd settle for the BWI if we had to.

We really want to be in the Epcot resort area, but barring that, I'd probably try for Contemporary since it makes getting to the MK easy on the morning that I will be a spectator.

JMTStone
04-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I'll be part of the 5K running but for the rest, I plan on traveling with the #runICOT cheer squad to cheer on the INTERCOT runners.

At some point, we should gather around Gary's column and sing "The Yeti is Down"

Tri Minnie
04-11-2013, 04:11 PM
It is so exciting to see what everyone is running, and I know I will really appreciate all of those who are going to be cheering. Although I was originally planning on the half, my husband signed me up for the full. In fairness to him, I asked him to surprise me :)

Carol
04-12-2013, 07:48 AM
I'll be lodging at the Shades of Green with Mel.

I cannot justify staying at an Epcot resort or using DVC points elsewhere since there will not be any late nights for me. I'll be getting up at o'dark thirty every day but Monday.

:alarm: :sleepin: :cheer:

Yungbuck73
04-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Does anyone own dvc at boardwalk and can tell me how availability is looking. I cant book for another 2 months

Carol
04-18-2013, 07:22 AM
I think you'll be ok, Justin if you call on the day of your 7 month window.

We were able to score a villa at Boardwalk during the Sandy portion of our trip in October without any notice at all and it was busy during that time frame with the Food and Wine Festival and Halloween Parties.

Yungbuck73
04-18-2013, 03:43 PM
I think you'll be ok, Justin if you call on the day of your 7 month window.

We were able to score a villa at Boardwalk during the Sandy portion of our trip in October without any notice at all and it was busy during that time frame with the Food and Wine Festival and Halloween Parties.

I'll be waiting to book as soon as I can

MelissaW
04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
For the half, I'm definitely going to suggest we meet early and cheer on Main Street, then move to the bus loading area at Epcot to see our runners just before they finish. Hi Mel - Still trying to talk my mom into coming down for the Run Disney/ICOT meet and hoping I can get her to join in with the pack of spectators and traveling in that pack as you indicated. We are running the 5K and wondered if anyone was going to gather as a group to watch the 5K run. Would love to have her be a part of that group! Thanks for any info. I also have another question - is anyone staying at Art of Animation during this weekend? I wondered because I'm really trying to talk my DH and DD to staying at Beach Club, but my 10 year old DD really wants to stay at Art of Animation and I wonder how far that will be from all the ICOT happenings?

disneygoofball
05-01-2013, 10:51 AM
I also have another question - is anyone staying at Art of Animation during this weekend?

We're going to be right next door at Pop Century. :D

Melanie
05-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi Mel - Still trying to talk my mom into coming down for the Run Disney/ICOT meet and hoping I can get her to join in with the pack of spectators and traveling in that pack as you indicated. We are running the 5K and wondered if anyone was going to gather as a group to watch the 5K run. Would love to have her be a part of that group!

Melissa, yes, we will have a group of cheerleaders for the 5K. There really isn't very many places to cheer along the 5K route except for the finish line area, so we'll organize something there. Details coming!

MelissaW
05-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the info. So if my mom does come then I will make sure she is placed with the cheerleaders at the finish line for the 5K. I can't wait. This is going to be so much fun! It is so motivating to keep me working hard!:walk:

MelissaW
05-02-2013, 08:51 AM

Hi Justin. If my mom comes - she is not running but my DH and DD and I are running the 5k so she'll be cheering too! Awesome for you on the cruise. You'll deserve it!:thumbsup:

MelissaW
05-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Reading through all of the posts and I just want to also give a great by HUG :grouphug: and shout out to all of our Intercot family! This too has truly motivated me and my husband. We have been on a weight watchers journey since last May. My husband has met his lifetime goal at 89 lbs lost - he did that just last Saturday!!! And I've lost 40 lbs. I still have a long way to go on this journey. But every morning when I get up I have my Run Disney reminder note on my mirror and just knowing that we are going to meet up and do this together truly inspires me to keep pushing on! Meg - you have totally got it right... :rocks:

MelissaW
05-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I like those, Nikki. Let's see what others think and/or suggest, and then ultimately we'll run it by John.

Is there a decision on the twitter hash tag? I'm so behind...:doh:

AgentC
05-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Reading through all of the posts and I just want to also give a great by HUG :grouphug: and shout out to all of our Intercot family! This too has truly motivated me and my husband. We have been on a weight watchers journey since last May. My husband has met his lifetime goal at 89 lbs lost - he did that just last Saturday!!! And I've lost 40 lbs. I still have a long way to go on this journey. But every morning when I get up I have my Run Disney reminder note on my mirror and just knowing that we are going to meet up and do this together truly inspires me to keep pushing on! Meg - you have totally got it right... :rocks:

Congratulations! 40 pounds is a great accomplishment! Keep up the good work.

Melanie
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM

Incredible! That is a huge accomplishment, Melissa. :thumbsup: :clappy: Wish I could get as inspired.

Is there a decision on the twitter hash tag? I'm so behind...:doh:

We decided that #ICOTruns could be taken the wrong way (LOL!), so #runICOT it is. :)

BriarRose0708
05-02-2013, 12:00 PM
We decided that #ICOTruns could be taken the wrong way (LOL!), so #runICOT it is. :)

:rotfl: OMG that never crossed my mind when I suggested it!

JMTStone
05-09-2013, 02:34 PM
I downloaded Jeff Galloway's (runDisney's advisor) iPod application for the 5K. Jon is joining me so he needs some training assistance.

Run/Walk/Run training looks like a good Couch to 5K plan to me.

I'm getting so healthy you guys may not recognize me by January.:joy:

The Adult Cardio Kickboxing is helping a lot in addition to the elliptical.:boxing: Its also cheaper than lawyers than therapy.

But what I'm REALLY exited for is to cheer all of our real INTERCOT runners in my Yeti or other Intercot shirt.:rocks::joy::clappy::yay::high5: And Jellyrolls too.:marg:

Buttercup
05-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Alright, looks like one more from Canada will be joining the festivities. My mom heard about you guys and wants to hoard in on our vacation! :mickey: Doubtful she'll be coming to any of the meetups but she's excited to cheer on all the runners!

magicofdisney
05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
I just began training for my first 5K. Any 5K. Whichever one I can get my hands on. It never occurred to me that Disney has a 5K. I thought it was just marathons and half marathons. I'm obviously out for this event but I'm so doing it the next time. I'm encouraged and excited for this support group and participants. Can it be any more fun? Good luck to everyone! :thumbsup:

Yungbuck73
06-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi Justin. If my mom comes - she is not running but my DH and DD and I are running the 5k so she'll be cheering too! Awesome for you on the cruise. You'll deserve it!:thumbsup:

sorry jsut saw this- Your mom can hang with my wife lol 7 months away yea!!!!!!

JMTStone
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
I went to book my room at Boardwalk or Beach Club using point this morning and the only resort available is Saratoga Springs.

Its not fatal - I'm still booked.

Yungbuck73
06-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I went to book my room at Boardwalk or Beach Club using point this morning and the only resort available is Saratoga Springs.

Its not fatal - I'm still booked.

We couldn't get the Boardwalk when we booked so we waitlisted and yesterday got a confirmation email that our waitlist was approved for Boardwalk

JMTStone
06-24-2013, 08:26 AM
We couldn't get the Boardwalk when we booked so we waitlisted and yesterday got a confirmation email that our waitlist was approved for Boardwalk

I hope I also get a waitlist approved. Cross fingers. I can still get there from Saratoga Springs but I would like to be at the Boardwalk. Its just me and my husband so we'll be spending a lot of time at EPCOT when not doing marathon cheering/participating.

cer
06-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Purchased our flight tickets this morning. 197 days before we arrive. ACK!

Yungbuck73
06-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Do we think the holiday decorations might still be up? We arrive 1/8/14

BriarRose0708
07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
The sister and I are booked at Beach Club!!!!! OMG OMG OMG I've never stayed Deluxe before and I can't wait!!!!:number1:

Melanie
07-10-2013, 10:02 AM
You picked a good one, Nikki. Congrats!

AgentC
07-10-2013, 10:38 AM
The sister and I are booked at Beach Club!!!!! OMG OMG OMG I've never stayed Deluxe before and I can't wait!!!!:number1:

Beach Club is awesome. You will love it! :cloud9: And I suppose I'd better start thinking of where to stay. :)

Christine
07-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Yay Nikki! One of my favorite resorts!

DizNut42
07-25-2013, 09:54 AM
This is the first time one of our reservations has coincided with a meet. Looking forward to being able to meet all the great folks from Intercot!!

We've had our res booked since Feb at BCV, but changed on OKW in June. DD#1 likes to be able to walk to the starting area and can sleep in a little more. She has been doing the full every year since 2006. DD#4 is doing the half (I think). She did the full this past Jan for the first time.

DW and I normally walk/jog the 5K, but since they added the 10K and moved the 5K to a day earlier - we opted to just keep our res the same to go for the 10K.

jennsky
07-25-2013, 07:30 PM
My sister Carolyn (Buttercup) and I - as well as sister #3, Kelly - all have our flights booked now for January! Can't wait to see you all again!

:D

Yungbuck73
07-26-2013, 12:54 AM
My sister Carolyn (Buttercup) and I - as well as sister #3, Kelly - all have our flights booked now for January! Can't wait to see you all again!

All right!!! Canada x 3 means 3 x fun lol

BrerGnat
07-26-2013, 09:51 AM

You're going to love it Nikki!

My husband and I are also booked at BEACH CLUB! We will be there Thurs a.m.-Sun a.m.

:cloud9:

BriarRose0708
07-26-2013, 10:50 AM

Oh, Canada! Excited to see you ladies again and meet sister #3!

Speaking of flights, I am hoping to get some advice from everyone. I will be staying at Essex House in Manhattan Wednesday night for work. Looking at flights, there's a direct 6 a.m. Thursday flight leaving from JFK at a fabulous price. If I were to book this how early will I need to call for a car to take me to the airport? 3 a.m.? How busy is JFK that early? I've only ever connected in NYC so I'm at a loss right now.

You're going to love it Nikki!

My husband and I are also booked at BEACH CLUB! We will be there Thurs a.m.-Sun a.m.

:cloud9:
WAHOO! It will be fun stumbling home from Jellyrolls with you :marg::marg:

MelissaW
07-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Hey everyone, I am very excited! We just booked at the Beach Club, bought our plane tickets and working on Disney Dining reservations today! DH, DD (11) and myself will be there! Been off the boards for some time and trying to catch up now on the Run Disney ICOT plans for any meet and greets! Has anything been officially planned? We are so excited too! We as a family have never stayed at a deluxe either so we are totally thrilled!!!:joy::yay:

Christine
07-28-2013, 10:10 PM
No official plans as of yet-- but we should have something hammered out soon :mickey: :thumbsup::party:

disneygoofball
08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Hey everyone, I am very excited! We just booked at the Beach Club, bought our plane tickets and working on Disney Dining reservations today! DH, DD (11) and myself will be there! Been off the boards for some time and trying to catch up now on the Run Disney ICOT plans for any meet and greets! Has anything been officially planned? We are so excited too! We as a family have never stayed at a deluxe either so we are totally thrilled!!!:joy::yay:

Congrats!!! :thumbsup: I've never stayed at Beach Club, but have walked through and visited Beaches and Cream. It looks like a fantastic resort. :mickey:

We just booked our flights today and are sharing your excitement. :muscles: Can't wait to meet up with everyone!!

Melanie
08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Alright everyone, the itinerary has been finalized and we're discussing over in the Meets forum.

Join us there! (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=200984)