PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom at Night?

WDWgoofy
01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
I just noticed that on two nights during my upcoming visit the Animal Kingdom will be open until 8pm.

I have never visited the Animal Kingdom after dark and was curious to know opinions?

What rides and attractions are generally open?

Is the park dark or well lit?

If you visited after dark would you do so again?

kbean
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Its worth a go. The parks not lit up like the others. So yes it has some darkness when walking the paths. Also I feel that park tends to clear out early since they don't stay open late. Many times I've walked on Everest and got to stay on to ride again within an hour of park closure. The rides stay open till closing including safari ride. Go for it and take advantage if its opened past 6.

Disney Crazy
01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
We have never had the chance to be in AK after dark! :moon: I would love to do that. Please come back and let us know what it was like.

BigRedDad
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Its open late a couple nights while we are there. I will definitely go. I want to see the animals at night and ride EE. Plus, to see it at night like I never have will be great. Maybe even a late dinner or snack at Rainforest Cafe.

disneymom15
01-16-2013, 04:32 PM
One of my favorite things about AK at night is to watch the birds perch in the trees.

Ms. Mode
01-16-2013, 04:36 PM
During our recent stay in late Oct/early Nov we had an evening trip to AK; we rode Everest right before dark and it was GREAT! We both loved it! The pathways do get quite dark, but it's really cool in a strange kind of way. We plan to take our DD and SIL in December when we go on our next visit. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Zawadi
01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Its open late a couple nights while we are there. I will definitely go. I want to see the animals at night and ride EE. Plus, to see it at night like I never have will be great. Maybe even a late dinner or snack at Rainforest Cafe.

Most of the animals are taken in 1 hour before sunset. Therefore KS will be closed.

Only the mechanical attractions Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, "fair" :ack: will be open.

Walking around is really tranquil in the dark.

DizneyRox
01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Confirmed, the safari closes at sunset, if its dark, it won't be open.

That said, AK is even better at night. Makes me sad face they did away with nighttime EMH there.

Sylvia
01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
AK at night is magical. Listen carefully; you know know what you'll hear as you walk around.

Back during evening EMH, we thoroughly enjoyed walking around and tried to identify the sounds we heard. Thanks to Wendy at MJ, I just found out that AK will be open until 7 PM several nights during my vacation. It's not as good as being open until 8 PM or later, but it's better than never. I intend to take advantage of the "for me" later closing time several days.:blush: During my past several trips, AK closed at 5 PM most of the time.

Enjoy!!

BigRedDad
01-17-2013, 07:51 AM
OK, no animals, but all of the fun in the dark!!! :cool:

roses
01-17-2013, 10:03 AM
OOooohhh I wasn't aware of this! I'm so excited to hear about this. We tend to sleep in and then go to the parks. I'll be happy to see this if they are open late when I go in November!

Cheshire_Girl
01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
And don't knock Dino Land until you've seen it at night!! So many people don't like the Road Side Fair quality of this part of the park, however if you read the back story on it, that's exactly what it is supposed to be...Look at the ground-it was even "built" on and "old parking lot"
And stop and stand for a moment under Bessy...
Ah, I think I love AK more than I thought I did after reading this thread.

Mitzie
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I have a cool story about AK after dark. Last April we were fortunate enough to see the park after dark since it was open until 8. We have a dinner ressie at Y&Y then just walked around to take it all in. Well they were herding people to the front so the park was empting out. We were already at the front of the park near the Oasis when DD started having some tummy trouble. We were concerned she wouldn't make it on the bus back to the Poly I stopped at Guest Relations to see about getting some medicine for her. She called back to first aid and had someone wait for me to book it back there and pick some up for her..very kind of them. Any hooo. As I come around the corner by Pizzafarie and there all by himself is a CM doing Tai Chi...it was beautiful. I stopped in my tracks since I didn't want to disturb him. We seemed to be the only two people there. The low lighting and the sounds made it such a neat moment. He asked if I wanted to join him(I do know the 1st 3rd of long form tai chi) but I had to decline.

ransam
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
When i was there during night, it was during the holiday season. It was beautiful.
didn't go on any rides or anything, but did just walk around.
You should definitly go.

Niecyboo
01-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Another vote for AK at night. There is something calm and magical about walking around in the dark, and I love Everest after dark! Miss evening EMH.

Our best story was we hit Everest right at 9:00 and were the last ones into the line. My kids wanted to ask if we could be in the last car. I was thinking no way they'd let us. Kids still asked and they put us towards the back. As the next train came, everyone in front of us stepped on and we realized the only people left waiting for the next train was my family at the back and 2 people in the very front! So we ended up riding Everest after dark pretty much alone on the train. That was interesting.

Pop Centurion
01-21-2013, 07:05 PM
When i was there during night, it was during the holiday season. It was beautiful.
didn't go on any rides or anything, but did just walk around.
You should definitly go.
Agreed. We were there Thanksgiving week & closed the park with a handful of others. I walked around with my camera & tripod & took some shots I'd never get normally. The atmosphere there at night is such a unique experience. Don't pass up the opportunity.

Buttercup
01-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Oh I love it at night. Everest looks so awesome all lit up. We've really enjoyed it at night - it's so quiet and the lights are very pretty. We just make sure we see all the animals earlier in the day and then save the other stuff until the evening.