PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Please !!

minnie04
01-15-2013, 11:14 AM
We have rented cabins in Tennessee for the past 6 years (on and off). I would love to go somewhere else with the kids. We would love a cold place with snow..lol. We always go in Dec. (new years) I’m open to driving or flying. We have no idea where to start. I have heard good things about NC, but have no clue where to stay. We love the idea of renting cabins. All suggestions welcome..

Thank you all for the help. :mickey:

SBETigg
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
If you want cold and snow, I would consider flying and maybe check into renting a cabin in Maine, Vermont or the Lake Placid NY area, somewhere where cold and snow are most likely. I have no idea where to start, but my sister does rent a cabin in Lake Placid (why I thought of it) every other Christmas, so I'm sure a Google search would turn up some possibilities.

stephicakes
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
If you want cold and snow, I would consider flying and maybe check into renting a cabin in Maine, Vermont or the Lake Placid NY area, somewhere where cold and snow are most likely. I have no idea where to start, but my sister does rent a cabin in Lake Placid (why I thought of it) every other Christmas, so I'm sure a Google search would turn up some possibilities.

We love Placid! Also check out Saranac Lake - we rent cabins there as well :thumbsup: Many times with tons of snow. :) Saranac does have their own (small) airport if you want to fly in. Many things to do there for people of all ages!

Zippy 1
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
If you want snow, cold and fun try Vail, Colorado. There is a ton to do and several other resort like areas nearby. We have a blast there!!

Kenny1113
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
I agree Colorado is great!

If you are looking to stay in the Smokies, yes NC is great! We visit just outside of Asheville every year.
I have heard north Georgia is nice as well.

Dulcee
01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Have you thought about Vermont? We love heading that direction in the winter or the summer. With so few highly developed areas you can really feel away from the rest of the world for a few days.

NC has been hard pressed for any snow in our mountains lately so if you want guaranteed snow I'd head farther north!

c&d
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Yellowstone in the winter they have some great tours. We've only been in the summer but I keep looking at their tours and one day we'll make it there.

roses
01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Come up to my neck of the woods! Lake George, NY - plenty of things to do. Winter Carnival every weekend in February (every year), so many different ski mountains around within driving distance, ice skating, snow mobiling, cross country ski trails. It's such a beautiful area! :ski::sboard::sled:

minnie04
01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Sounds great Rose!! I’m going to look into that right now. Everyone thinks I’m crazy to be looking so early in the year, but my plan is to book early so I have the rest of the year to make Disney trips.. :mickey:

roses
01-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Sounds great Rose!! I’m going to look into that right now. Everyone thinks I’m crazy to be looking so early in the year, but my plan is to book early so I have the rest of the year to make Disney trips.. :mickey:

That's a fantastic idea!

Lake George is about an hour to an hour and a half away from Lake Placid, 30 minutes away from Saratoga, NY (Think Saratoga Springs Resort!) and 45 from Albany, NY. So, if you fly, you can fly into Albany and drive up the rest of the way - straight shot on I87 :)

minnie04
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Great thank you again Rose, :mickey: