PDA

View Full Version : Proud Parent!

kakn7294
01-14-2013, 02:41 AM
I just wanted to share with my Intercot friends - my DD17 will be graduating in June and starting college July 8 - in Media Arts and Animation! Her goal is, of course, to work for Disney eventually. Maybe someday, I'll see her name on the big screen in those closing credits.

Also, for those that remember that my younger DD started losing hair to Alopecia nearly 2 years ago, I'm happy to report that she handled it fantastically - much better than I might have. While she did lose all of her hair, the current treatment regimen has enabled most of her hair to regrow. She still has some baldness above the neckline in the back and still wears a wig for now (because she thinks her short hair is ugly!) but this is great progress. I wanted to thank all of you who have sent prayers and pixie dust our way.

VWL Mom
01-14-2013, 07:28 AM
So good to hear things have turned around for your younger DD. Just wonderful!

Senior year is such an exciting time for the kids but stressful on the parents as we realize our babies are grown. I hope she has an awesome year. Where is DD17 going to be going to school?

hoop de do
01-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Great News!
Enjoy the ride, I've been on it and believe me it's great. There will be ups and downs but all will be worth it.
Pixie Dust for you and yours.
:tink::pixie::tink::pixie:

DVC2004
01-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Great new on both counts! Congrats!

WDWFanatic
01-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Great news for both girls!

kakn7294
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
So good to hear things have turned around for your younger DD. Just wonderful!

Senior year is such an exciting time for the kids but stressful on the parents as we realize our babies are grown. I hope she has an awesome year. Where is DD17 going to be going to school?

She'll be attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Initially, she was going to go for Graphic Design but when she went for a 1 on 1 visit and they interviewed her, based on her answers they suggested Media Arts and Animation instead. Her eyes lit up at the thought and we applied on the spot. She has decided that she will stay at home and commute (about 45 min each way) but will do so by driving to a park 'n ride and taking a bus into town. If she does that all 4 years, it should work out well for her - by the time her student loan payments will kick in, she'll have a car that will be only 5 yrs old and completely paid off - by Mom and Dad, of course. ;)

dnickels
01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Congrats to your daughter!

I imagine she already knows this but make sure she doesn't get frustrated if she has to start out at the bottom when she gets out of college. My brother majored in film and he literally started out driving a van to ferry people, equipment and junk around town. Kept asking for more work and proving his worth and now he's up to assistant editor but it took a lot of time and dedication. Film/television/media is one of those career fields where even with a degree you rarely get to come right out of college and go right into a career-level type position. He loves it but there were definitely some lean years there while he earned his stripes.

Jeri
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
That is great news for both of your daughters. We are just starting with making our big list for college, and then will reduce to a short list by next year. Such an exciting time, and what a great career choice.

I think sometimes our children are able to cope with so many things we couldn't imagine. Glad to her her hair is coming back a bit & she is doing so well with it.

Clearly you- Mom & Dad have raised some amazing girls.:thumbsup:

tazlikesrobots
01-16-2013, 01:21 PM
congrats! I wish her well on her endeavors :mickey:

Melanie
01-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Great news for both your girls! :thumbsup: