PDA

View Full Version : My magic plus

waymickey
01-10-2013, 02:12 PM
I read a news article today about the my magic plus at Disney. It spoke of the fastpass+ and the new wristbands, as well as new apps to download. My question is this if I don't have a smart phone (which I do not) then is all this a waste for me other than the wristband ?
I do not even bring my phones into the parks.

Itchy
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
I dont know that it is a waste. The wrist band has perks that use to be on the key to the world. This was your room ticket.

The phone apps will have nothing to do with the wrist band. The apps just give you ways to make ADR's or find what wait times, and other things.

I do not have a smart phone but I still take mine to the parks. This gives me a way to contact others in my party if we get seperated.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

John
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
You know - that's a great question. Have to wonder if they will get in the business of renting devices so that folks without an iphone or an android phone can take advantage of these items.

As a Windows Phone 8 user - there is no app for me either... which means even though I have a smartphone, I can't use an app. Wondering if the mobile version of the disney site will offer similar items...

Zawadi
01-10-2013, 04:11 PM
As an international visitor I will not be using my android smart phone due the ridiculously high data roaming charges.

It would be nice if Disney set up an agreement with a local 3G cellular operator to provide a cheap, short term SIM card deal.

Andy_2002
01-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Put your phone in flight mode and use the free in park WIFI, no data charges then, thats what I'm going to do anyway.

For calling home to the UK I'll be using SKYPE at 2p a minute, bargain.

waymickey
01-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Does the wrist band allow me to make fastpass+ res. or do I need a smart phone to do it? I really do not want to carry anything other than my camera into the parks. My group is small and we always set up a meeting place if we seperate. Regardless I have a cellasurus as dumb as it gets!;)

Mickey'sGirl
01-11-2013, 07:58 AM
As an international visitor I will not be using my android smart phone due the ridiculously high data roaming charges.

It would be nice if Disney set up an agreement with a local 3G cellular operator to provide a cheap, short term SIM card deal.I was thinking the same thing.

ransam
01-11-2013, 03:19 PM
maybe it's just me, but i hope a trip to Disney isn't completely dictated by technology in the future.
I have this vision of just going to a local place, have a chip put in and in an hour i can live a 10 day trip to WDW, ala Total Recall.

BrerGnat
01-11-2013, 04:30 PM
The only thing that the wristband and phone together will allow is the scheduling/changing of FP+ reservations.

I imagine it would behoove Disney to install little kiosks throughout the parks for people to be able to do this sort of thing without the use of a smart phone.

My phone only lasts about 6 hours at WDW anyway. It dies halfway through the day. I can't rely on it for that kind of thing. Also, don't know about anyone else, but during ICOT15, I found the "My Disney Experience" Android app to be T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. It perpetually thought I was at the Polynesian, when I never even went there. When I'd hit "find nearby dining", my only options were the Poly restaurants. All. The. Time. Even when I was sitting in my room at WL. :confused: Even resetting my phone didn't help. The app was horrible.

Hammer
01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Also, don't know about anyone else, but during ICOT15, I found the "My Disney Experience" Android app to be T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. It perpetually thought I was at the Polynesian, when I never even went there. When I'd hit "find nearby dining", my only options were the Poly restaurants. All. The. Time. Even when I was sitting in my room at WL. :confused: Even resetting my phone didn't help. The app was horrible.

My sister and I had the exact same experience. My sister has an iPhone and I have an Android and both had this issue, so it wasn't just the Android version. We were sitting in our room in BLT, and it keep saying we were at the Polynesian.

BrerGnat
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
My sister and I had the exact same experience. My sister has an iPhone and I have an Android and both had this issue, so it wasn't just the Android version. We were sitting in our room in BLT, and it keep saying we were at the Polynesian.

Okay, that is so bizarre. Glad it wasn't just me, though! I thought I was going crazy.

Zawadi
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Put your phone in flight mode and use the free in park WIFI, no data charges then, thats what I'm going to do anyway.

For calling home to the UK I'll be using SKYPE at 2p a minute, bargain.

"Aircraft" mode will turn off all of the phones radio transceivers.

The best you can do is to turn off cellular based data roaming and hope that nobody calls/sms' you.

BrerGnat
01-11-2013, 05:39 PM
"Aircraft" mode will turn off all of the phones radio transceivers.

The best you can do is to turn off cellular based data roaming and hope that nobody calls/sms' you.

You can use WiFi with the phone in airplane mode. I've done it numerous times in wifi equipped flights. The wifi antenna is not the same as the phone's network antenna.

Patricia
01-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Being from Canada, I also use the free wifi in the parks, resorts and DTD. It seems to be everywhere except Animal Kingdom and I would imagine that is next up. I also use airplane mode and had no problem using the app (or any website) in the parks. I also had good luck with the app working properly. It was always able to locate me. :thumbsup:

Note: When you turn airplane mode on, it automatically turns off the wifi. You need to go to settings and turn the wifi back on. Try it at home. :thumbsup:

Figment!
01-11-2013, 06:19 PM
My question is this if I don't have a smart phone (which I do not) then is all this a waste for me other than the wristband ? I do not even bring my phones into the parks.

You know - that's a great question. Have to wonder if they will get in the business of renting devices so that folks without an iphone or an android phone can take advantage of these items.

There are going to be kiosks located near Guest Relations in each park for those that do not have (or choose not to bring) internet ready mobile devices.

They installed one in City Hall at the Magic Kingdom during the recent trial of the FastPass+ system.

waymickey
01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
There are going to be kiosks located near Guest Relations in each park for those that do not have (or choose not to bring) internet ready mobile devices.

They installed one in City Hall at the Magic Kingdom during the recent trial of the FastPass+ system.

So I will wait in a line to avoid a line at the attraction? :confused:
OH well I will stay positive and hope that Disney amazes me.

Figment!
01-12-2013, 09:44 AM
So I will wait in a line to avoid a line at the attraction? :confused:

Potentially, yes.

The kiosks are mostly aimed at Guests who wish to make a change or two once they arrive at the park and are not using a internet ready mobile device.

If a Guest did not make any selections from a PC at home and is not using a mobile device, they should expect significant time to make their selections once they arrive at the park.

waymickey
01-12-2013, 09:57 AM
I will try to stay positive about these changes. I will, I will I will. But It aint easy! :(

Why create lines to do away with lines? Why isolate guests who don't know how to use new technology or who do not want to be bothered with it on their vacation? Why fix something that isn't broke in the first place? Why not fix what is broke?

Wait scratch that.

I hope everyone uses this new Fastpass+ thingy . This way the standby line will be empty and I get just walk up and enjoy the ride! Let others go nuts planning their vacation down to the second and I can still just go and wing it!:) Oh and don't forget to fastpass the bathroom breaks so there is an open stall when I get there!!

RavsRuleDisney!
01-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Heading down in March and have been reading up on this nextgen, FP+, wrist band scenario. In a nutshell I think this may be the worst idea Disney brass has devised in a loooong time. I won't go into detail but it seems IMO the pros do not outweigh the cons. :(

Zawadi
01-12-2013, 11:33 AM
You can use WiFi with the phone in airplane mode. I've done it numerous times in wifi equipped flights. The wifi antenna is not the same as the phone's network antenna.

Well I am surprised. So, the 20-40MHz spectrum is not deemed to be dangerous to aircraft.

Just tried those setting on my phone and it worked :)

Thanks for the tip which I'll remember for our return to WDW in December.

01-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Heading down in March and have been reading up on this nextgen, FP+, wrist band scenario. In a nutshell I think this may be the worst idea Disney brass has devised in a loooong time. I won't go into detail but it seems IMO the pros do not outweigh the cons. :(

As a MK CM, I sort of understand some of the things that will "enhance the guest experience", such as the touch pad turnstiles, fastpass ticketing, and
slightly faster merchandise checkout. For Disney park operations and planning it will allow them to have a bit more idea of the "in-park" counts in real time and how guests are moving about the parks and will also help with transportation scheduling at peak times and some other operational area issues.

As a stockholder, where is the "return on investment"?? Sorry, but I'm not seeing how, other than a slight amount of CM's not being needed and a certain amount of park efficiency, how is this going to translate into more guest spending, which is ultimately what drives the bottom line.

Yes, I'm not naive, there will be some savings and there will be some positive guest spending related to it but it's going to have to be a "whole bunch" before it even begins to payback the amount of money this is costing. Just the additional per each cost to Disney of the RFID ticket vs the paper ticket blew my mind when I heard it last year from one of my managers.

Just my $.02, FWIW (just about that much)

Tekneek
01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
From what I have been piecing together, Disney is looking to push people who don't use this technology to the margins. You can still go, but you're not going to have the same experience as others (despite paying the same, or maybe even more).

Some of the rumors out there are irritating/frustrating, and I hope Disney doesn't make them a reality.

Andy_2002
01-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Being from Canada, I also use the free wifi in the parks, resorts and DTD. It seems to be everywhere except Animal Kingdom and I would imagine that is next up. I also use airplane mode and had no problem using the app (or any website) in the parks. I also had good luck with the app working properly. It was always able to locate me. :thumbsup:

Note: When you turn airplane mode on, it automatically turns off the wifi. You need to go to settings and turn the wifi back on. Try it at home. :thumbsup:

Oops. forgot to mention you have to turn the Wifi back on.

Caroleh
01-14-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm really unsure of the FP+. We are not over planners. We go often enough(once or twice a year) that most of the time we go to where the first bus takes us. We don't even do that many FP's because we don't know what or where we'll be at when the FP times are up. We take our time and enjoy the que because there is so much to see..we always discover something new...also it's not crazy busy when we are there.