PDA

View Full Version : Taking luggage to room

bethian
01-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi Guys - my family is headed down 2/23 staying at POP for a week. My question is...at check-in, do you guys always have bell service take your luggage to your room or do you carry it yourself? Does POP have those luggage carts for self service? We will be driving and have a cartop carrier. If you use bell service, how much do you tip? And do they bring your luggage right away? Thanks!!

BrerGnat
01-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Since you're driving, I'd just park in the lot closest to where your building is and then offload at your leisure. We never use bell services at value or moderate resorts. We used it at AoA last year simply because we had way too much stuff to carry and it was hot. And, we were tired from a long drive.

They will not let you grab a cart and use it yourself. We tried that. They said no.

You really should tip if you use bell services. Customary tip is $1-2 per BAG. At the Values, after you check in, you will return to the bell services desk and let them know, and they will basically follow you to your room. If you arrive and your stuff needs to be stored until later (room not ready yet), you will call bell services from your room later, and they bring it up. Usually takes less than 10 min.

eam
01-10-2013, 09:23 AM
POP has gotten more lenient in letting you use the carts. It use to be you could use one after leaving your first born and a pint of blood (that's what it seemed like). However, now you can use one with just leaving your name, and when you return the cart, they check it in. This is how it worked this past November.
Have fun!!

eam
01-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say, :welcome: to Intercot! You will love it here.

Itchy
01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I was able to use one of the carts to handle my luggage when we stayed at POP about a year ago. I had to leave a photo I.D. which was my drivers license. When I returned the cart I got my license back.

I don't know if they have changed their polices for that now.

Most of the time we just carry our luggage to the room.

Hope this helps and have a great trip..:mickey:

ransam
01-10-2013, 11:52 AM
last Feb we used a luggage cart w/ no problem.....now that i think about it, not sure if we asked. lol

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Since we drive, we just take the luggage ourselves. We check-in, get our room and then move the car to the lot closest, and DH slugs it up for us! I don't even think I knew that they HAD luggage carts ... but I have wanted to borrow one of the golf carts on more than one occasion.

magicofdisney
01-10-2013, 01:28 PM
The only time I've used bell service was when we stayed at The Grand Floridian. Frankly, I would have done it myself except I didn't know protocol at this resort. I'm not even sure doing it yourself is an option there. As soon as you drive up to check in, bellhops and valets are running to greet you at your vehicle.

As for the values and moderates, I've always unloaded myself. I simply check-in to the resort and then drive to the parking lot closest to my building. The hike is generally minimal. That being said, if I'm ever again placed on the second floor of Alligator Bayou at POR, I'll use bell service. They offer NO elevators in those buildings. :confused:

bethian
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it works out!

Tigerinvestigator
01-10-2013, 04:31 PM
We've done it both ways at the Value and Moderate resorts. Sometimes you can park close enough to your room that it is very easy to transfer your own luggage and save a little money in tips. We have also used bell services, especially if we arrive late and bell services is not very busy. We also used a cart at Pop Century and I don't remember giving them my ID, but maybe my room number?? They were busy and told me it would be a few minutes and I asked if I could use a cart and they were very nice and gave me one. If we use bell services we usually tip about $2 a bag which usually comes to $15-$20 for me and my girls.:thumbsup: