PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids in POTC

Disdad13
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
I was reading a trip report and they mentioned that the "mermaids were up and running" in POTC. We haven't been to DW since summer of 2011 and I wasn't aware of mermaids in POTC. When were they added? At what point? How were they added/incorporated? Is it cool??

Camaro305
01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
If I recall, they are after the Davy Jones projection effect, but when we were there last month, neither were working.

SBETigg
01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
They're a blink-and-you-might-miss sort of addition, cool if you can get a good look but mostly forgettable and completely unnecessary to me. I think they were added in fall 2012.

Spoilers:

They're on both sides of the boat as you head toward the first scene of shipwrecked skeletons on the rocks, not long after you go through the mist projection, plus there's an extra surprise with the skeletons on the rocks, but not much. The mermaids beside the boat are projections, and they've added mermaid song before the Dead Men Tell No Tales.

DizneyFreak2002
01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I was reading a trip report and they mentioned that the "mermaids were up and running" in POTC. We haven't been to DW since summer of 2011 and I wasn't aware of mermaids in POTC. When were they added? At what point? How were they added/incorporated? Is it cool??

They were added in the last two months or so... They are in the cave right after the Davey Jones/Blackbeard projections...

The mermaids are only projections in the water.. They are supposed to splash a bit... Can't really judge from video, but people who have seen the effect and reported back said it looks pretty good...

Altair
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Spoiler alert...maties!

They are past the projection and you need to look down off the side of the boat to see them swimming. You need to look quick, too. I noticed one on each side of the boat.:mickey:

Also look for the mermaid skeleton laying on the now very crowded beach.

slegrant
01-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Just got back from our New Year's Trip and the Mermaids were up and running and got great reviews from my family and friends riding with us:mickey: Also felt like the air canons and water explosions were really good at the battle scene. One of the air cannons actually blew the hat off my nephew's head.

DisneyGlutton
01-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Fairly new as others have said. When I went in early Dec, they were broke 2 of 3 days I was there (Davey Jones was broke the whole time). However, I thought the mermaids in the water were well done, though they are a blink and miss it sort of thing. However, I think they messed up the beach scene

SBETigg
01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
They were added in the last two months or so... They are in the cave right after the Davey Jones/Blackbeard projections...

I saw them in October, so, more than the last two months, but yes to the "or so." I think it was September or October 2012.

Wolf
01-10-2013, 10:41 AM
I saw them in October, so, more than the last two months, but yes to the "or so." I think it was September or October 2012.

Mid Oct because they were putting them in the day after we left :)

Butters
01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I liked them, they were a small plus to the ride

ransam
01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Didn't know they were there, looking forward to looking in Feb.

Camaro305
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Just got back from our New Year's Trip and the Mermaids were up and running and got great reviews from my family and friends riding with us:mickey: Also felt like the air canons and water explosions were really good at the battle scene. One of the air cannons actually blew the hat off my nephew's head.

I'll add that I noticed stronger air cannons as well. We actually got splashed every time we rode it!

crltkcagle
01-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Looking forward to seeing this on our next trip!:skull::pirate:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-13-2013, 01:00 AM
You have to really look for the skeleton one because the only way you can really tell is by looking at the tail portion. I didn't even see the swimming ones.

tannertuck
01-13-2013, 09:50 PM
The mermaids are cool. They are located in the begining of the ride on the left and right side of the boat in the cave. There will be bubbles and you will see the tail come by. Also, when you are by the beach you will see a mermaid skeloton and hear the mermaids sing instead of the traditional pirates singing.