PDA

View Full Version : Bogus Stand-by Times

CU Tiger
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
We were in MK this past Thursday (1/3) and the stand-by time for SM was 170 minutes. We entered SM using a fast-pass and when we got to the boarding area of the fast-pass line, we noticed that the stand-by line was non-existent. :confused: The stand-by wait time was really 10 minutes or less. We could not believe that they were posting such a large stand-by time when that was not the case.

Do they post bogus stand-by times to get people to get fast-passes to help meter the ride lines? I have never witnessed this before.:confused:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
I did find on our last trip that it was taking longer than usual to update the wait time signs.

At least two or three times we started to walk away from a ride, since the line was too long and a CM called out "the wait really isn't anywhere near that long ... I don't know why the sign is wrong". In each case, the CM was right, and the wait was fairly short.

It just could have been a delay in tracking the newest wait time, or maybe the computer gremlins on the website are getting loose in the parks too. ;)

CU Tiger
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
I understand a difference between a 15 min wait and a 25 min wait, but being off 2 hrs!

Gator
01-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a typo to me. Although when we were there in December, the line for Tower of Terror said 60 mintues - but when we got to the gate, I could see it wasn't. When we got to the Twilight Room, the wait was barely 10 minutes.

TinkerbellT421
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
On our December trip there was a few occasions where it showed a 30 minute wait and only ended up being 15. But rock n roller coaster was the worst but the opposite. Showed a 20 minute wait and ended up being in line for an hour and a half.

Awesome_guy
01-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Estimations result from "volunteers" asked by Cast Members intermittently. Volunteers are given a lanyard and a red card that is scanned by a Cast Member as it's given at the beginning of the line. The card is then given to the Cast Member loading the attraction and scanned again. Voila: time estimate.

I've been a lanyard volunteer twice (once on KS in AK and once on Peter Pan in Disneyland Paris, exact same system). I'm sure many others have been, too.

I can't imagine false times are that intentional.

It might just have been too long since someone has been sent through to measure a line or a mass fluctuation for whatever reason. We've all been that person in a long line that hasn't had hardly anyone come afterwards.

Main Street Jim
01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Could've been a glitch in the timing system for the attraction<s>.

If you're not real sure about the *posted* wait time, ask a CM ;)

Aurora
01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I've seen glitchy wait times on Space Mountain, and on a recent trip we were one of the "volunteers" in the Haunted Mansion queue. The problem was that when we got inside, up until the time we were being loaded onto the doom buggies, no CM would take the red card.

On our last trip, the sign outside Soarin' said wait time was 70 minutes. It actually wound up being 100. I did ask the CM at the entrance whether the posted wait time was correct, and he said yes.

I no longer rely on the wait times or CMs to tell me an accurate wait time. I'll eye the line myself and try to figure out whether it's a good idea or not.

faline
01-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Posting wait times is an inexact science. Sometimes, things change quickly. For example, on our last trip we went to Dinosaur. The posted wait time was reasonable but one look at the stand by line made me sure it was inaccurate. I believe we arrived just shortly after a showing of Finding Nemo discharged so a fair number of folks from the theater headed over to Dinosaur. Their arrival, I'm sure, threw off the posted wait time which was probably accurate 10 - 15 minutes earlier.

A sudden mechanical issue can also result in a longer line pretty quickly.

On the other hand, we've often been pleasantly surprised by a walk-on ride that has a posted 15 minute stand-by line.

SandmanGStefani24
01-08-2013, 11:50 PM
I no longer rely on the wait times or CMs to tell me an accurate wait time. I'll eye the line myself and try to figure out whether it's a good idea or not.

Agree with this one!

The true wait time is always almost twice as long as the posted wait time in my experience. The only times it is shorter is when it says 5 minutes, when for me, that means it's pretty much a walk on. But that being said, if there's a fun place to wait in line, its WDW. :here:

KAJUNKING
01-09-2013, 12:41 AM
I think disney uses the wait times to change traffic within the park, in todays world where you can get wait time on an electronic board, chalk board, or on your smart phone, I really think if they see the wait on say space mountain is getting to be long they push the wait times up to make people move to another attraction/area, it could help with influxes of people to one attraction or area, I also believe for the most part they would prefer to post a longer wait than actual, just because its better to under promise and over deliver. I am not saying they are not times when you wait longer than the posted time, but i believe that is normally due to things out of there control. :mickey:

ransam
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
it would be tough to come up w/ a perfect wait time. a lot could come into a change in the posted and actual wait times. I got in line for a ride at DL and it wasn't long at all, got on in like 5 mintues. When i got off, the line was much much longer. it could also be a typo, or maybe even no one changed the sign when they were supposed to.

Stu29573
01-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Estimations result from "volunteers" asked by Cast Members intermittently. Volunteers are given a lanyard and a red card that is scanned by a Cast Member as it's given at the beginning of the line. The card is then given to the Cast Member loading the attraction and scanned again. Voila: time estimate.

I've been a lanyard volunteer twice (once on KS in AK and once on Peter Pan in Disneyland Paris, exact same system). I'm sure many others have been, too.

I can't imagine false times are that intentional.

It might just have been too long since someone has been sent through to measure a line or a mass fluctuation for whatever reason. We've all been that person in a long line that hasn't had hardly anyone come afterwards.

I have done this several times. I call it being "carded." lol. My wife says I must look responsible because I always seem to be the guy they give the red card to.

nqi2
01-09-2013, 12:39 PM
We were also in the park this past week and seen this happen several times.

Posted time was 45 mins for Big Thunder Mountain ended up being 125 mins.

Then another time we had a 10 min wait for Buzz light year we walked all the way up to Fast Pass line meets up and then next time the line was out the door with same 10 min wait.

Posted wait time for FInding Nemo was 45 mins, asked the CM if that was correct. She said yes however it was more like 15 mins. Why is it so hard to post correct times. Wouldn't that be easier and simplier than not.mmVery odd timings happening this entire past week. Was extremely frustrating trying to determin whether a fast pass was a good option or not. Needs to be addressed.

Main Street Jim
01-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Posted time was 45 mins for Big Thunder Mountain ended up being 125 mins.

Then another time we had a 10 min wait for Buzz light year we walked all the way up to Fast Pass line meets up and then next time the line was out the door with same 10 min wait.

Posted wait time for FInding Nemo was 45 mins, asked the CM if that was correct. She said yes however it was more like 15 mins. Why is it so hard to post correct times. Wouldn't that be easier and simplier than not. Very odd timings happening this entire past week. Was extremely frustrating trying to determin whether a fast pass was a good option or not. Needs to be addressed.Because it's a computerized system, based on GUESTS that will take the card through the line from entry point to load point. A LOT of guests will hide/hold onto that card, thinking it's some kind of "great souvenir" or something. When that card is not presented to the Cast Member at the end of the line (load point), they have no way to determine what the actual wait time is/was. Once in a great while, a Coordinator (not quite a manager) will manually have to update the wait times, but, if they're busy (like Christmas/New Year's week), they just simply may not have had time to go into the system and update it. It's that simple :)

Dickson Thunder
01-12-2013, 03:12 PM
With the new Magic Plus system they will have the ability if they wish to have up to the minute updated wait times. They would just need to scan you when you enter the queue and when you actually get on the ride.

Ian
01-12-2013, 03:21 PM
I find line dynamics at Disney World fascinating and have studied them and thought about them a lot (not as much as the folks who work there obviously ;) ) ...

I think a couple things could have occurred. The most likely scenario is that someone was given a card to carry through the line and for one reason or another there was a huge delay in the card being scanned on the other end. Maybe the folks got out of line, went to use the restroom, and came back. Maybe they intentionally delayed handing the card off to mess with the wait time. Or maybe the CM got it and forgot to scan it.

However, there's another possibility and one I've observed a lot. Once the wait time on a ride gets to a certain point no one gets in line for it anymore. This leads to the wait time decreasing pretty rapidly. I don't know how long they go between measuring wait times, but I suspect that quite often the wait time goes from 120 minutes to 10 minutes before anyone bothers to check it again.

waymickey
01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
It just could have been a delay in tracking the newest wait time, or maybe the computer gremlins on the website are getting loose in the parks too. ;)

LOL those gremlins are very busy!

indytraveler
01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
I've been a frequent summer visitor to the parks. On several occasions cast members were able to manually adjust wait times. For a few rides in particular, Mad Tea Party for example, a seasoned cast member can visually adjust the wait time based on how many are in the queue. I asked one CM about that and he said he always over estimates by 5-10 min. so when you get off the ride it feels like you picked up those 5-10 min. and can do more things. Which leads to happier people.

So I do think that CM's don't purposely under estimate wait times because that would lead to people not enjoying themselves as much. Which would mean more possible confrontations with guests who may not come back.

nqi2
01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
I can fully appreciate the underestimation of wait times because it does give you that "false" since of wow that wasn't long at all. But when times are almost double what they are posted. THat's when it's upsetting because 30 minutes to an 8 yr old in line is much easier than the 75 mins that the wait ends up being.

Our time can be better spent and avoid huge meltdowns if we can either over look rides at the time or get a fast pass for them.

LudwigVonDrake
01-14-2013, 12:03 PM
In July I was walking up to Soarin' with a posted 70 minute wait. I heard a CM tell a guest that the time was false and it was more like a 30 minute wait. I jumped on the stand by line and the CM was correct. Why the posted time was wrong and they were aware of it is beyond me :mickey:

DisneyFan1979
01-14-2013, 12:25 PM
I find that particularly in the last hour of the day that the wait time is overestimated. I would imagine they want to try to clear out the line so that the attraction can close within a reasonable time after the park closes.

And all it takes is one guest having a problem or taking extra time boarding or getting off a ride to throw the wait time off.