PDA

View Full Version : Military flights

ftwildernesskid
01-06-2013, 10:02 PM
I know there are some other military families out there. My husband is in the reserves. We are considering visiting Disneyland over Spring Break and would need to fly there. I know it is possible to hop military flights but thats about the extent of my knowlege on the subject. Has anyone ever done this? If so, where do I start? Thanks!!

BrerGnat
01-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I know a few people that do this. It's called "Space A" flights.

It honestly seems like more of a pain than anything else. You are basically flying "standby". You have no choice about dates...you make a request, and then show up at the airport. You might get on, you might not. You can get bumped off the flight if anyone of higher priority comes along, even halfway to your destination. As a reservist, you are at the bottom of the totem pole, priority wise.

Honestly, this is really not the best way to do leisure travel. Space A is really for service members on leave, last minute emergency flights (like for the death of a relative, etc.). It is REALLY difficult to get on one of these, especially if you are a group of people (not just one person).

You can get quite a lot of good info by simply Googling: "Military Space A Flights"

If you only have a short time to travel (like on a school break), this is not the way to go.

Melanie
01-07-2013, 09:13 AM
I've known many folks (including my husband) who have done space A for international flying, but never domestic.

Tons of folks did it in Okinawa, but I would never test it, and heard way too many horror stories.

BrerGnat
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I would never test it, and heard way too many horror stories.

Me too, Mel. I like to have control over my travels. I cannot hand it over like that. Uncertainty is not fun for me.

Jim&AngieMarriner
01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
My parents use Space A quite often and swear by it. However, they are retiree's and dont have a time table to keep. If they cant make the flight they want, ok, they just stay where ever they are a day or so more.

For the OP's situation, I would not seriously consider Space A travel.

buzznwoodysmom
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I have looked into this in the past and decided immediately that it was not for us. The whole point of flying, for us, is to get there quicker. Having no guarantee that we could all get on first flight sort of defeated the purpose of flying for us.

ftwildernesskid
01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info... sounds like this may be too big of a gamble for us as a family. Maybe one day for just my husband and me but not right for us right now. I figured there must be some major drawbacks or I would have known someone who has done it.

Scott C
01-07-2013, 09:24 PM
You need to ask my dad about Christmas of 1968 that he spent in Iceland instead of Indiana.....

And I did not even think that Iceland was between Alaska and Indiana.

I suppose that you are considering flying the KYANG unit in Louisville. You might just call over there and discuss the situation. I don't know how often they fly to the west coast.

Thanks
Scott C