PDA

View Full Version : DLR Grand Californian

Christine
01-05-2013, 07:51 PM
How difficult will it be for me to get this at 7 months out for August 28-sept 2? We are going so I can do the dumbo double dare! And I'm scared I won't get it!
Anyone had luck?

tundramom
01-05-2013, 09:52 PM
We didn't have a problem getting June, but it was afew years back. BTW- loved the resort! Feels like Wilderness Lodge but with the Arts and Crafts twist. Take time to view the art/decor it is truly a great representation of all that is good about the movement.Loved being able to walk out the back door and into California Adventure. Oh, and best of all, when we were there Johnny, Keira, and Orlando were there (up on top floor) so I can say I slept with JD!!!;)

Disney4us2
01-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Last time I checked, I was trying to add a day (Saturday). All the studios were booked for Friday and Saturday. At that time there were 1 and 2 bedrooms available. Haven't ckecked back since I don't have enough points for those.
Good luck...hope you get in. See you there:mickey:

Christine
01-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Last time I checked, I was trying to add a day (Saturday). All the studios were booked for Friday and Saturday. At that time there were 1 and 2 bedrooms available. Haven't ckecked back since I don't have enough points for those.
Good luck...hope you get in. See you there:mickey:

Aaaaggghhh! Yikes! Here's hoping!

BrerGnat
01-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Not sure, but can you use your points at DLH or Paradise Pier if you can't get VGC?

Disney4us2
01-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Not sure, but can you use your points at DLH or Paradise Pier if you can't get VGC?

Yes, You can use your points at all three Disney hotels. I did last year at the Disneyland Hotel. Loved it.

Ok Christine..... here is the run down. Just checked what is available.

Studio's open on the 28th & 29th @ 26points/night

1br: open w/th/fr/s Points w&th 52/n f/s 64/n

2 br; open all nights:thumbsup: total points 362

Now for the three DL Hotels:

PPH
Standard view sun/thurs 25 points/night fri/sat 31p/n
Theme park view sun/thurs 31 p/n fri/sat 39/n

Disneyland Hotel (my pick:mickey:)
Standard view
sun/thurs 32 points/night
fri/sat 40 points/night

Premium (again my pick:thumbsup:)
sun/thurs 37 points/night
fri/sat 45 points/night

Grand Californian
Standard view
sun/thurs 37 p/n fri/sat 46 p/n

court yard/woods view
sun/thurs 38 p/n fri/sat 48 p/n

premium view: DTD/pool/theme park
sun/thurs 45 p/n fri/sat 56 p/n

Club level
sun/thurs 62 points/night fri/sat 78 points/night.

You are not that far out now. You might be able to do a split stay and get the studio for the two nights and then move to one of the hotels.

I loved the Disneyland Hotel. We had a room in the Adventure Tower with a theme park view. It was incredible. We were able to see the fireworks from the room with the sound piped in on the TV. My DD loved the pool there much better than the one at the Grand Cal. She just loved the Monorail Slides.

Point wise between the one and two bedrooms and the DL hotels there is not much difference and you may even get away with less points using the DL hotels instead of the villas. Just remember, once you transfer points out of the vacation club and into the hotels, they can not go back into your DVC account. I don't regret using my points at the Disneyland hotel at all and would do it again in a heart beat.

Don't worry if you can't get all your days at the Grand Cal.... it will all work out.

Christine
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Wow Marci THANK YOU!!!! :number1: I didn't know you could book at the others with points! I don't mind changing around at all! (more to experience! :thumbsup: ). That makes me have a lot more hope of staying on Disney property, but moreso on POINTS so I don't have the additional $$ (which is why we bought in the first place).

I SO appreciate you! Thanks so much!

**edited to add: OMGosh Marci I am so grateful to you! I got online and showed my family the Disneyland Hotel and we went through the photo galleries of the pools, rooms, etc and they LOVED it! You're right about the Monorail slides...AWESOME!
Best thing is you don't have to WAIT for that 7 or 11 month window AND they don't charge the $95 transfer fee! I'm all set! We are booked premium view for 5 nights! I cannot believe this is happening! Plane tickets are bought, room booked at $0 and VERY reasonable points (198---std view would have been 176 so I think it's worth it as this may be a once in a lifetime trip!) and my race registration fees are reimbursed to me by DH's company as a health incentive reward! Holy toledo, I'm going to Disneyland!!!!!!

Pooh Fan
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
I did not have luck for last September when trying to book at Grand Californian and I was just looking for 2 midweek days. I had assumed that September in DL would kind of be like it is in WDW in terms of demand however that was not the case. I did start late as it was an add-on to our Vegas vacatiion however I was checking daily for about 4 months and had no luck at all. On the positive side I was able to get 2 nights at Paradise Pier (although significantly more points per night) and loved it. I was hesitant as the reviews I had read on this hotel were not fabulous but I have to say I loved it. It was a great, fun, clean, convenient location and really made our first DL trip a great experience.

Carol
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
I would have tried the 7 month window then gone with Plan B. it's a lot of points for a regular room. I've done it before the Grand opened but would never do it again.

As much as I love DLH there is no comparison to the villas. Hands down the best ever! I was able to book at 7 months out for my February trip last year.

Also - I was unable to use points for a regular room at GC. I've done it before but they told me they do not do it since the villas opened. Did they change that again?