PDA

View Full Version : Child afraid of fire, where to avoid?

tadcd
12-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I received many kind responses in the dining forum which helped us decide to avoid Ohana and the entire Poly resort in the evening as our 2 yr old is very fearful of fire. His fear is so strong that the book Goodnight Moon with the scene of the lit fireplace needed to be banished from our house. He is getting a bit better about fireplaces - doesn't like them but no longer falls apart. But even an unlit candle brings tears.

Someone in the Dining Forum also reminded me to avoid Epcot after the torches are lit in the evening (hopefully someone will know the timing, which I asked in a separate thread).

If I remember correctly Pirates of the Caribbean has fire as part of the effects.

Are there any other places or rides we should avoid?

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions. To make it easier on you, note we aren't planning to go to Hollywood Studios on this trip.

-Teresa.

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
You may want to avoid Spaceship Earth, the Rome burning scene may be a nightmare. There isn't actual fire, but there is the smell of smoke and some "twinkling" to replicate burning. I am not sure if that helps at all. I will try to remember some others off hand.

tadcd
12-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Much appreciated. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
12-30-2012, 11:04 PM
I received many kind responses in the dining forum which helped us decide to avoid Ohana and the entire Poly resort in the evening as our 2 yr old is very fearful of fire. His fear is so strong that the book Goodnight Moon with the scene of the lit fireplace needed to be banished from our house. He is getting a bit better about fireplaces - doesn't like them but no longer falls apart. But even an unlit candle brings tears.

Someone in the Dining Forum also reminded me to avoid Epcot after the torches are lit in the evening (hopefully someone will know the timing, which I asked in a separate thread).

If I remember correctly Pirates of the Caribbean has fire as part of the effects.

Are there any other places or rides we should avoid?

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions. To make it easier on you, note we aren't planning to go to Hollywood Studios on this trip.

-Teresa.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the torches in Epcot may be light right around dusk, as the sun sets... Not sure if it is still there, but in Innoventions there was a house that you could play a fire prevention game, and there may be a few images of fires in game... I can't recall anywhere else in Epcot that has fire though...

There is fire (fake fire but fire nonetheless) in Pirates... There are also torches in Adventureland at night... Not sure how bad the fear is (seems pretty substantial), but don't forget the sun in Small World and possible a fire scene in Peter Pan (though honestly, I am having a brain freeze regarding that one)...

In Festival of the Lion King, there are tumble monkeys who play with fire... I don't recall anything else in DAK that has fire in it... I doubt you'll take him on Dinosaur since he is only 2...

tadcd
12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the additional info. So sad about Epcot torch timing...

We learned the hard way about The Festival of the Lion King during our trip last May. We got out of there very quickly!

We struggled with Peter Pan but I think the thunderstorm was the challenge...

No Dinosaur ride for us nor other big kid rides.

Thanks, again!

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Is he also scared of loud noises and sound effects?

tadcd
12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
He isn't terrified of them the way he is of fire. Usually he is quick to tell us when he hears "noise" which is really any small sound in the house and is happy to red focus on his okay when we tell him what he has just heard. We shaved been reading "music in thee house" which describes normal appliance sounds as "music" to help with this.

It must seem that I have a very sensitive child. He is my only so I have no comparison...

tadcd
12-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Refocus on his play...

Trouble with my device and spelling this evening:secret:

sassafras
12-31-2012, 06:14 AM
The Indiana Jones show? If I remember right, I think he carries a torch in one part of it.

Strmchsr
12-31-2012, 08:01 AM
The Indiana Jones show? If I remember right, I think he carries a torch in one part of it.

Correct and there are explosions with big fireballs during other parts. And also lots of fire in the Lights Motor Action Stunt show including a man on fire. The Epcot attraction with the fire safety house in Innoventions - No fire is visible from the outside and no actual fire inside the attraction other than on a screen.

I'm sorry you have to be concerned about this. Hopefully it will be something your child grows out of soon. That fear seems a little extreme, though, as most children don't develop that kind of fear unless they have had a life-threatening experience (or a perceived one). Does he fall on the autism spectrum? The hypersensitivity to the fire and noise (even though he's not afraid of the noise) made me think that direction, though certainly some children are just more sensitive than others. Just trying to think of ways you might could figure out what's going on and help your child overcome/cope with this issue the best.

Another suggestion - double check at Guest Relations at Epcot on the timing of the torches. I didn't think they turned the big ones on until close to time for Illuminations about 30 min beforehand - not at dusk.

DisneyDawgette
12-31-2012, 10:18 PM
double check at Guest Relations at Epcot on the timing of the torches. I didn't think they turned the big ones on until close to time for Illuminations about 30 min beforehand - not at dusk.

That was my thinking on the EPCOT conundrum. I'm pretty sure it coincides with the Illuminations countdown.

Also, as I'm sure you're aware, being out of the MK by 9 may be a must for you. I'm assuming fireworks shows will not be his thing, and they're hard to miss once they start.

Spaceship Earth, FotLK, and a few of the others mentioned were really all that came to mind.

The only other one I thought of was Carousel of Progress... The final scene has a good deal of smoke in it when the oven catches on fire... No actual fire, but suggested and smoky! There's also a thunderstorm moment- you mentioned he struggled with those sounds on PP, so this may be a skipped one as well. Also, I believe Jugle Cruise (as well as most of Adventure Land) had heavy fire elements after dark in the form of torches and whatnot. Maybe good to do early in the day! :)

BandMan
01-01-2013, 04:02 AM
I would be careful about which restaurants you visit. Many table service restaurants have candles. I know this was a problem for our son when he was young.

Zawadi
01-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the torches in Epcot may be light right around dusk, as the sun set ...

Epcot
The torches ignite around 30 minutes before IllumiNations.
However, IllumiNations itself does use a 300 gallon propane barge to generate large fireballs.

Studios
There is also fire in Catastrophe Canyon and Harbour Attack (both in the Backlot Tour)

Animal Kingdom
Festival of the Lion King show does contain a Fire Eater performer.
River Rapids

BrerGnat
01-01-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry you have to be concerned about this. Hopefully it will be something your child grows out of soon. That fear seems a little extreme, though, as most children don't develop that kind of fear unless they have had a life-threatening experience (or a perceived one). Does he fall on the autism spectrum? The hypersensitivity to the fire and noise (even though he's not afraid of the noise) made me think that direction, though certainly some children are just more sensitive than others. Just trying to think of ways you might could figure out what's going on and help your child overcome/cope with this issue the best.

I was thinking the exact same thing as Chris.

It is not considered "normal" for a 2 year old to have such a strong "irrational" fear. While it very well might not be anything related to Autism Spectrum Disorders, you might want to do a little more digging to try and find out why your child has this paralyzing fear.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I have two boys who are on the spectrum, and the younger one had a crippling fear of airplanes and blenders at around 2 years old. We're talking significant, panic attack inducing fear here. Not typical for a child that age. He is 6 now and we are still trying to figure out exactly what his issues are, but we know for a fact that he has hypersensitive hearing and certain sounds and frequencies cause physical pain in his ears. He is also speech delayed so it's tricky figuring out what is bothering him. My older son with Aspergers has been terrified of birds and flying insects since he was a toddler. Still is, at 8 years old. He completely lost it in an aviary when he was about 3 and we were feeding some nectar to some little birds in there. It is tough when it's your first child and you have to deal with something that most people can't relate to.

On the topic of fire at WDW...many of the resorts have a campfire at night, along with "movies under the stars" or something along those lines. Depending on where you are staying, this might be a concern (tends to be the deluxe resorts that do this). Also, I know AKL has a "fire pit" and Wilderness Lodge has a HUGE fireplace in the lobby that burns round the clock.

DizneyFreak2002
01-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Epcot
The torches ignite around 30 minutes before IllumiNations.

Thanks... I don't know why I thought they were light when the sun went down...

faline
01-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Polynesian in the evening has tiki torches all over property.
Wilderness Lodge had several fireplaces including a large one in the main lobby.
Animal Kingdom Lodge has a firepit in the lobby and a firepit out back.

TracyL
01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Wow. That is a tricky one. So many places at WDW (and the world in general) where there are fireplaces, candles, Villains with blue fire for hair -- hard to think of all the potential trip hazards here.

How does he feel about Lumiere? A rather convincing, although not actually flaming, Lumiere has a key role in the new Enchanted Tales with Belle attraction. Gaston's Tavern has a fireplace (not real fire, but a pretty good simulation). I don't recall if the shop next to the Tavern has one, but you might send a scout before you go in. You should be fairly safe in the new Little Mermaid attraction, for obvious reasons. :)

Can't think offhand of any issues in Storybook Circus; you should be OK there.

Haunted Mansion has a few candles, but the mental image I have of the fireplace in the ballroom scene is that its fire is so otherworldly that it might not even register as a fire. The birthday candles, on the other hand, might be a problem.

All the nighttime shows are pretty much out of the question, but since you're talking about a two-year-old with sensitivity issues, he's likely to be pretty beat by sundown anyway.

Stay out of Uptown Jewelers on Main Street -- glass blowing there involving open flames.

Others help me out here: are there any campfires in Jungle Cruise? There used to be some little flames in the Tiki Room pre show, so that's one to be careful of. Nothing in the show itself. What about PhilharMagic? You may want to skip it just because it's loud and intense. When I went to it with a timid four-year-old, she hated it.

Are the Dream Along With Mickey daytime fireworks going to be an issue? That happens every few hours all day long....

It's almost easier to talk about where you *won't* find fire.

Liberty Tree Tavern has a huge fireplace, and may have more than one; I'd stay away from there.

The play area for Dumbo has the "burning building" as a climbing structure, but it's just painted flat art; nothing is moving or realistic at all. May not be a problem, but I'm trying to be comprehensive here. :)

Carousel of Progress has a fireplace in the final scene.

Moving on to Epcot, yes, Innoventions still has the "where's the fire?" experience that is best avoided. Best bet there is to have a conversation with the CM at the entrance of each side and let them direct you, since the other side of Innoventions is probably totally fine. Living with the Land has the prairie scene where there's some lighting that suggests a distant brush fire, but it may or may not register as a fire for him. No visible "flame".

Journey into Imagination doesn't have any fire, but there is one bit where there's a VERY BRIGHT FLASH and a loud noise that might be pretty scary. Warning him ahead of time may help?

Ellen's Energy Adventure has fire in it, and is generally sort of loud and scary if you're sensitive. Spaceship Earth's burning Rome scene is definitely a concern.

Does Rose & Crown have a fireplace? Seems possible. Also LeCellier may, and I think they have LED candles on the tables. Most of the World Showcase has potential for candles, fireplaces etc., but checking in with CMs before you go into buildings should help. I want to say Germany has a glass blower, so watch out for that. Morocco and Japan are pretty safe, I think. American Adventure attraction has some campfires, candles, etc. in the show, none real but some realistic.

Pizza ovens at Napoli in Italy may reveal visible flame. I don't recall if there is any fire in the China movie, but I'd honestly be surprised if there wasn't. Maelstrom ride in Norway has the flaming oil rig. Gran Fiesta ride in Mexico is also risky; again, no actual flames, but several depictions on film, etc.

Hollywood Studios -- more fire than not, I'm afraid. Indiana Jones is right out, as is Lights Motors Action. LOTS of fire, explosions, etc. Great Movie Ride has simulated fire in the temple scene. I haven't seen the PotC attraction yet, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some fire there. Mushu breathes some cartoon fire in the Magic of Disney Animation attraction. Toy Story Mania should be safe (yay!!) I think there's a fireplace in the waiting are for 50s Primetime Cafe. I probably wouldn't do Sci-Fi Dine-in -- can't imagine the movies they show don't have some fire at some point.

Others said what there is to say about Animal Kingdom.

This isn't comprehensive (even though it might look it) -- I"m sure there are some I've forgotten. But this should help.

I'm so sorry your son has this issue -- it must be a real challenge for all of you, and no fun for him at all. Good luck with it. If in doubt, just talk to CMs. They'll be more than glad to help and answer questions. After all, they want you to have a great time!

Other than that, I'd just say keep your pace relaxed and don't try to do everything. Take breaks at the resorts, even the ones you're not staying in. The Contemporary should be fairly free of fire, as well as Art of Animation, and those places can be fun for just walking around and enjoying a less intense experience than a full-out theme park.

Good luck and have a great time!!

tadcd
01-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Thank you so much for the general feedback about my son's fear and sensitivities, I have a lot of learning to do and appreciate your comments based on your experiences.

I am also appreciative of the lists of attractions, etc to avoid in the parks and resorts. I am planning to merge everyone's notes into a master "cheat sheet."

We will definitely take the advice to take our time and enjoy what we can. We are primarily planning to be out and about in the morning and then late afternoon/early evening. No fireworks or stunt shows or big kid rides for us. We usually find that when dining out servers are OK with removing candles from our tables and will follow your suggestions to consult with CMs as we go.

Thank you for all the time you spent helping our family!:mickey:

BrerGnat
01-02-2013, 08:25 AM
I just want to say "Bravo" to TracyL. THAT is a great list! :clappy:

Hammer
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Just to suppliment TracyL's list, you are going to want to stay out of Philarmagic. Lumiere is lit to start the scene.

dixielandings
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
What about the MKRR? Aren't there "live" campfires in the Native American camps? And on the train FROM Rafiki's Planet Watch? I think you get a bit of a view of Kali River Rapids from it.

Wow, there really is fire everywhere...

This is quite an issue for you. I hope you are able to resolve it and have a wonderful trip.

DonaldDuckUSA
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Maybe the firefighting game in Innovations will help him deal with his fear.

I dont exactly remember all the details, but its a game about learning fire safety and he is able to put out the "fire" which is just on a tv screen. it might be a good feeling for him to have the power to put it out? If I remember correctly too, it's not an aggressive looking fire.

You know far more about his ability to handle fire than I do, but its just a thought. Perhaps you can scout it out ahead of time? If not this trip, then maybe when he is a little older?

Regardless, I'm sure the little guy will have an amazing trip and he is lucky to have a mother who does her research! :-)

Happy travels.

ANG
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Lumiere is also in the entire set of Enchanted Tales with Belle.

Cheshire_Girl
01-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Maybe the firefighting game in Innovations will help him deal with his fear.

I dont exactly remember all the details, but its a game about learning fire safety and he is able to put out the "fire" which is just on a tv screen. it might be a good feeling for him to have the power to put it out? If I remember correctly too, it's not an aggressive looking fire

This is an excellent idea.
I agree that the firefighting game at Epcot might actually be a chance to help your lil dude out! Maybe have one of you grownups go thru it first and see what you think. If you think it might be helpful let the CM know that your' lil dude is going to be scared and then go with it. Help him learn how to be safe around fire :)
Let us know how your trip goes!
side note: I didn't realize until I thought about it-there is fire all over the Word!

TracyL
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the props, BrerGnat.

It really is stunning to realize what a prominent role fire plays in so many of the attractions. I think about the only thing more difficult would be if a child had a strong aversion to water. Or mice!! :silly:

PlutoToo
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
The Universe of Energy and the Norway ride both show fire. I noticed that yesterday.

Aurora
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Teresa, I didn't have anything to add on where fire appears in WDW, but I just sent you a private message with an article that might be helpful. It's written by a physician on dealing with irrational fears during the toddler years.

Good luck on your vacation!

Wolf
01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Bless yalls hearts, that is a tricky one, I think Jungle Cruise has torches and for sure no Backlot tour, the Pearl Harbor scene has fire and the Catestrophy (sp?) canyon thing has fire that made me abit uncomfortable, plus abit of simulated drop feelings. As others have said Epcot-World Showcase at least 30 mins before then yall need to be heading outwards. I think yall can still have a really amazing time while accomodating your childs aversions, the first time we went we didn't ride anything because I was (at 15) terrified of everything and so we did alot of wandering so I wouldn't let the lack of ride thing worry you too much, yall will still have a really wonderful time. My suggestion would be to try to watch some youtube videos of ride throughs for the rides in question, they aren't always great quality but they might give you a good feel for somewhat what to expect because you know his sensitivities.

Good luck and lots of hugs for you all, fear isn't any fun for anyone involved.

Wolf
01-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Just thought of another one yall might could help me with, is there fire in living with the land? I know there is that storm scene and is there any fire parts before you go into the garden parts? I think the story book area will be good for yall, and fantasty land, main street I think should be good, maybe avoid Adventure land because when you go in there are those torches by the bridge going by the Tiki guys. Future world might be good too. TTA would be good if little one doesn't mind the dark, Tom Sawyer island might be a thought as well. I dont think there is any type of fire there (to my best knowledge tho, I'm not 100%)

tadcd
01-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Since my original post our son has been making strides I never thought possible. I wrote about these as part of my pre-trip report. Thank you to everyone. I think the trip will be a bit less challenging than originally thought.
:cloud9:

BrerGnat
01-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Since my original post our son has been making strides I never thought possible. I wrote about these as part of my pre-trip report. Thank you to everyone. I think the trip will be a bit less challenging than originally thought.

That is great to hear! I'm sure you will have an amazing trip!

TinkerbellT421
01-17-2013, 08:26 AM

That is great news :) So maybe by the time you go this fear will be far behind you :mickey:

Strmchsr
01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Since my original post our son has been making strides I never thought possible.

Awesome news! That'll make the trip even more magical.:mickey:

PlutoToo
01-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Great news on the strides your son is making. Yes, Wolf, one scene in Living with the land shows fire on the Horizon.

Have an amazing visit!