PDA

View Full Version : Should I avoid Ohana

tadcd
12-29-2012, 12:24 AM
My two year old is afraid of fire. Many pictures of the restaurant show the cooking fire of the open kitchen and I've read about Tikis. Are there tables with no view of fire?

We are looking for a place to eat dinner around the MK resort area in early Feb. We haven't previously enjoyed GF lunch so aren't sure we would like the dinner (love GF breakfast :blush:). Didn't like Kona dinner either and heard negatives about Skillets at Whispering C. Help!

Thanks!!!

DisneyGlutton
12-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Yes, there are certainly tables without a view of the kitchen fire. You could request one, though Disney always says no request can be guarenteed. Ohana is great, I try to dine there at least every other trip (if I can get a reservation), and they have some nice activities for little kids. I'm not sure what you are referring to about the Tikis.

In terms of an alternate recommendation for the MK area (and not a signature one, as none of your others are), I will have to think about that. Besides signature dining, which I love, MK is a desert for dining imho. You could try to go to Be Our Guest if the menu is to your liking and a reservation available. The food was nice, not excellent, but the atmoshphere alone makes it worth a meal.

VWL Mom
12-29-2012, 07:36 AM
The Wave has been getting a lot of good reviews lately, you may want to check out their menus. 1900 Park Fare had a dinner buffet with characters so that may appeal more to your son.

AgentC
12-29-2012, 08:01 AM
I have never really noticed the fire that much at Ohana unless we were right next to the cooking area. There is a large group of tables that do not look at that area at all. I'm sure they would be happy to seat you there if you explained thought it might add to your wait.

Have you considered Chef Mickey's? And as Lynn mentioned 1900 Park Fare is a good option. It has Cinderella and her prince as well as the stepsisters.

Are you interested in eating in the park?
I don't care for Liberty Tree Tavern's dinner but lots of people love it. It is family style with turkey, beef and pork. We do like the Plaza. Very basic food, but good.

Janmac
12-29-2012, 09:08 AM
It's been awhile since we've eaten at Ohana so my memory is maybe faulty. I remember as we walked in, the cooking area was in clear view. Especially for a two year old being carried, and already sensitive. A parent might look ahead and have the child turned away from the fire, but there is a noise component as well as the grill is meant to be a focus.

1900 Park Fare is great for little kids - the characters are usually very good with them.

Another place the youngsters in our extended family have liked a lot is Trail's End at Fort Wilderness Campground - a boat ride away from Magic Kingdom. This is also a buffet at supper, but with no characters.

We have historically eaten here later in our trips which makes the simple fare welcome to the kids, who have by this time been very good about trying new and different foods around the World. There is pizza, chili, peel and eat cold shrimp, maybe macaroni and cheese. Comfort foods.

Next to the restaurant is a good old playground. The carriage ride starts nearby, so the horses are often present. Lots to look at for a little guy.

The campfire program is further into the campground and I can think of no other fires that might be around.

Also, doesn't the Poly have the tiki lamps - or whatever they're called.

Jan

buzznwoodysmom
12-29-2012, 09:12 AM
We eat there on every trip, and I have never even really noticed the fire. I know it's there, but it isn't huge or "in your face". And the tikis don't have any fire, they are just wood carved tikis. There are definitely tables behind the "fire" that would be great for you. Most people don't want that location anyway, due to them being kind of away from all the games and activity.

That said, if your going this Feb. it might be too late to snatch up Ohana anyway. Unless you already have it booked of course. Ohana tends to book up months in advanced.

lawgirl
12-29-2012, 09:54 AM
I would hate to make reservations for Ohana, and request the table away from the fire, only to get there and be seated by the fire! They can't guarantee table location, can they? The pathway up to the lobby has big torches lit, and it seems like the whole Poly has some kind of fire somewhere. I would probably try to avoid it, just to be on the safe side.

We were going to try Cape May and Garden Grove, but didn't have time on our last trip. I've heard good things about both.

Itchy
12-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I would also suggest the Wave. We eat there every trip and I would place their steaks just as good as Cali Grill or better.

I have not had a bad service there. You can either walk to MK or take the Monorail.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

DonaldDuckUSA
12-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I would recommend making early reservations and getting there early to ensure you get the seat you want. Requests aren't guaranteed but they're more likely to be honored if there are fewer people seated.

Zippy 1
12-29-2012, 06:10 PM
I would recommend 1900 Park Faire or Cape May Cafe. We enjoy both
:mickey:

tadcd
12-30-2012, 08:35 PM
I am filled with gratitude for the many informative responses and wonderful suggestions. I think we will follow thee suggestion to simply avoid the resort altogether in the evening. Even the sight of birthday candles about to be lit sets him to tears. I am a first time Mom and have no idea how this fear happened or why it has persisted for so long (at least a year).

I love the Trail's End suggestion, so much to look at and the resort is homey. Someday we will get to Ohana! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
12-30-2012, 09:35 PM
I am filled with gratitude for the many informative responses and wonderful suggestions. I think we will follow thee suggestion to simply avoid the resort altogether in the evening. Even the sight of birthday candles about to be lit sets him to tears. I am a first time Mom and have no idea how this fear happened or why it has persisted for so long (at least a year).

I love the Trail's End suggestion, so much to look at and the resort is homey. Someday we will get to Ohana! :mickey:

I think you've made a wonderful decision for your family. Ohana's will be there for a later trip. No use upsetting your child over a dinner. And like I said in an earlier post, if you are talking about this coming Feb. chances are you wouldn't have been able to get a ressie at this late date anyway.

lawgirl
12-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I think that is a very wise decision! For us, Disney trips are about family and about enjoying things. I always try to plan things to be as least stressful as possible, and I think there will always be a time in the future when it will be right...I'm sure at some point your little one will get over the fear (however irrational it seems right now, to them it is very real) and then you will know it is the perfect time to do Ohana. But for now, just know that somewhere else can be just as great, and is the place for now! I hope you have a great trip!

(And, just FYI, at night, the torches at Epcot are really, really big...especially during Illuminations...there is ALOT of fire! Sounds like you need to avoid that at all cost!)

tadcd
12-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Appreciate the supportive words!
About Epcot, I will need to research the timing of the torch lighting... we have first dinner seating reservations there on two different nights. When we leave dinner it would be just after dark...
May need to change things around...

Friend of Figment
12-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Whispering Canyon as well as the lobby at the Wilderness feature large fireplaces.

We enjoy the Garden Grill at the Land for dinner. There isn't fire, but there are parts of the ride that have flickering orange and yellow lights as well as thunder and lightning (the restaurant rotates through the ride in the Land).