PDA

View Full Version : WDW 1971 pics

KevMcNJ
12-27-2012, 08:51 PM
So I got a scanner for Christmas which can scan slides and negatives into files on your computer. I found several slides so far from our trip to WDW in late 1971. I know theres more but 99% of the family slides are still at mom and dads and I havent gotten them yet. Im thinking this could very well become a very long thread once I go thru the thousands of slides that dad has. I know theres many MANY old slides from WDW.

Enjoy :mickey:

Attn Mods: Is there any way to upload the prints directly to a post or will the links have to do?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/IMG_0105_zps29297c0b.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/IMG_0111_zpsf96c614c.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/IMG_0107_zpsc2066f4d.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/IMG_0115_zps2db54f54.jpg

VWL Mom
12-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Rather than link each photo individually you should be able to link the whole album. That may be the easier way to go provided this album would just be old photos that you want to share with us.

Altair
12-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Rather than link each photo individually you should be able to link the whole album. That may be the easier way to go provided this album would just be old photos that you want to share with us.

This would also be the easiest way to do it.
Also, be sure to clean the slides before you scan them, you will get much better quality scans.

faline
12-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Although I remember it that way, the Haunted Mansion looks really strange without the covered walkway!!

cer
12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Love your pictures!

I wonder how much that balloon cost in 1971?

Aurora
12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Very cool! :mickey:

KevMcNJ
12-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks every body for the excellent tips. I will do what was suggested. More to come soon

Im sure theres much better pics buried away and waiting to be found

:mickey:

Main Street Jim
12-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Although I remember it that way, the Haunted Mansion looks really strange without the covered walkway!!What else makes it look strange is, *no trees* to hide the show building....and no Keelboat loading docks.

bruin1344
12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
nice pics. I enjoy looking at older photos of WDW like the ones on yesterland .

KevMcNJ
12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
nice pics. I enjoy looking at older photos of WDW like the ones on yesterland .

Thanx.

Me too.

I absolutely LOVE going thru old photos like these. Often times the stuff going on in the background is just as interesting. Obviously Im old enough to remember these days since Im in the photos but the unknown random people doing random 1970s things shows exactly what 1971 looked like if you know what I mean.

It would be facinating to know what happened to the guy selling balloons. Hes probably old enough to be a grandfather now.

Also would be facinating to know how much people like him were paid back then and how much my dad had to pay for that balloon

That hat is AWFUL btw

Altair
12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Knee high tube socks and Converse All Stars, I remember it well. :blush:

joonyer
12-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for posting these. We also visited MK in 1971. Makes me want to go dig through our old photos to find some of our family visit. Ahhh, such good memories!

Kenny1113
12-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Great pictures! I love looking at old pictures. By the way, love the 'fins shirt.

KevMcNJ
12-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Great pictures! I love looking at old pictures. By the way, love the 'fins shirt.

'Phins Phan since Phorever!

Ive disliked the Cowboys for over 40 years now because of Super Bowl VI :sick:

January-2007
12-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

SandmanGStefani24
12-30-2012, 03:19 PM
these are amazing! thank you so much for sharing them. :mickey:

I think it's great that even from 40+ years back, i can still point out exactly what I'm looking at, and where you are looking on Main Street. It looks pretty different, and it looks exactly the same. Only WDW can do that!

GAN
12-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I swear I had that same hat! Great shots -love the HM pic.

Melanie
12-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Great pics! Wow, that HM one is amazing. Please keep them coming.

Attn Mods: Is there any way to upload the prints directly to a post or will the links have to do?

Another nice way to do this is to include the link with only a name for the pic showing.

For instance:

Haunted Mansion (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/IMG_0115_zps2db54f54.jpg)

or

Like my hat? (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/IMG_0111_zpsf96c614c.jpg) :D

It's easy to do if you need assistance, and want to do this. :)

emerzmom
12-30-2012, 06:37 PM
This is great! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more. The hats rock!
:tink:
Julie

KevMcNJ
12-31-2012, 09:17 AM
What else makes it look strange is, *no trees* to hide the show building....
I was only 6 when we went in 1971 so naturally I assumed the entire ride occurred inside the"Mansion" I can remember trying to figure what room of the mansion was behind each window of the facade. :)
Is the visible part of the ride actually usable space or is it like a Hollywood set where its just an empty shell?

Another nice way to do this is to include the link with only a name for the pic showing.

For instance:

Haunted Mansion (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/IMG_0115_zps2db54f54.jpg)

or

Like my hat? (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/IMG_0111_zpsf96c614c.jpg) :D

It's easy to do if you need assistance, and want to do this. :)

Thanx for the tip. Will let you know if I need help but I like that arrangement

ransam
12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
i love all the pictures. I also love looking at old pics. My mom and dad just celebrated their 50th aniv, and i made a tribute film for them. it was really cool to go through old pics of our lives as a family, especially the Disney pics.

Mitzie
01-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks so much for sharing! I love looking at old pics..the parks or resorts. Anyone else who wants to share?

KevMcNJ
01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Dad dropped off a box of several hundred slides today. Yes, lots of Disney pics in the pile. Heres 40 for today

http://s50.beta.photobucket.com/user/KevMcNJ/library/Disney%20World%20in%20the%201970s

I find it interesting at how barren the entire place looks with out the mature trees everywhere. I also am amused at how cheesy the character costumes were back then. Nobody knew any better back then of course.

Theres one photo in the album of a very young girl waving at people on a passing boat. Thats my sister and she has one daughter that is engaged and another one that is a high schooll senior, thats my big brother and hes counting the days down until he can retire, and thats my mom and shes a frail little 75 year old now

Where do the time go?

Crow
01-04-2013, 01:28 AM
nice thanks
i also went wen it was only MK in the 70s.

AndrewJackson
01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Boy, these sure bring back memories. First trip was in 1972 off site. Then stayed at Fort Wilderness in 1974, and have been back nearly every year since.

Love the Swan Boats, and some of the other extinct attractions.

Thanks for posting.

Janmac
01-05-2013, 03:50 PM
We've got a few old Polaroid photos from November of '71. Some with Dopey and another dwarf and Scat Cat. They were different then. Scat Cat wasn't even the "right" color. Two of the three kids at MK in November of '71 have grandkids now. The other one's kid is a college sophomore. Been awhile since MK opened.

I miss the perspective from the buckets.

Thanks for the photos. :thumbsup:

Jan

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
01-06-2013, 04:49 PM
LOVED looking at the pictures! Thank you!

WDW&MK
01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Loved the pics!! Thank you for sharing. I was there for the first time in probably July of '78. I don't remember the swan boats at all - where was that ride? Loved the pics of the sky buckets. I used to love that ride. I kind of like the view of the haunted mansion better in your pics than how it looks today with all the "stuff" in front of it. Looks more lonely and foreboding without the covered walkway and the trees.

magicofdisney
01-07-2013, 07:37 PM
OMGoodness, I so love looking at these pics!

That picture of the speedway exit ramp is surreal. You can see the monorail track in back and the buckets overhead. I guess Space Mountain is not there?

I agree with the comment regarding the Haunted Mansion. It looks spookier in this picture. I like the idea of trying to figure out where you are when you're on the ride. All that's lost because so much is hidden now.

Then there's the aerial view of Fantasy Land that reminds me of a scaled village set. So, so charming. :mickey:

KevMcNJ
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I guess Space Mountain is not there?

No it didnt exist yet, but nice catch.
That didnt even occur to me :thumbsup:

SM opened several years later. 1975? 1976?
I do remember we went to WDW one year and we were on the boat heading to MK the first day and you could see SM poking out above everything around it so I got all excited and said "oh wow Space Mountain is open!"

Someone on the boat then said "no theyre still building it" Such a tease all week...you could see it but you couldnt ride it.

Building SM was a major event at the time . I think POTC opened already but really WDW hadnt done any major expansion yet so a new E ticket ride was big news. Heck I dont think there was any roller coasters on site yet. Were they still using E tickets in 1975?

I do remember when SM finally opened they actually had a TV show about it. I cannot recall if it was just Wonderful World of Disney or what but I think it was a nationally telelvised event. I mean we were in New Jersey and I can remember watching it so it got major air time

Main Street Jim
01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
That picture of the speedway exit ramp is surreal. You can see the monorail track in back and the buckets overhead. I guess Space Mountain is not there?Space Mountain was not built until 1974 and opened in January 1975 :)

NJDad
01-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Yup, I posted a minute or so of home movies of the MK in 1974 on youtube and some internet expert gave me grief, telling me it had to be from before the park opened because it had a shot of Space Mt under construction, and it was open from the beginning.

He was absolutely sure because he worked there at the time. ;)

Had to 'moderate' his comments away as it got quite ugly.

POTC took a while to open too.

BigRedDad
01-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I was there in 1971 also. I was barely out of diapers.

CU Tiger
01-08-2013, 08:32 AM
These pics are great! :thumbsup: MK looks so diferent with the minimum foliage. Thanks for sharing. I hope more can be posted.:mickey:

KevMcNJ
01-08-2013, 10:52 PM
These pics are great! :thumbsup: MK looks so diferent with the minimum foliage. Thanks for sharing. I hope more can be posted.:mickey:

I got a brother in New Jersey who tells me he ended up with a few boxes of slides too :secret:

Wont be this week or next month, but this thread is far from over:)

ThanxForNoticin
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the pics! I honestly don't remember those swan boats - great to see that piece of Disney history. I really do miss the sky ride sometimes, though. You can see it in one or two photos - and a picture or two might even be taken from up high.

I got to visit for the first time in 72, and then again in 73 and 74! We also have movies of SM (and Wed Way PeopleMover) being built - definitely not part of the original. Some great shots here.....

Pooh Fan
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Very Cool Pics. 1971 was 29 years before my first trip and even several years before I was born! So great to be able to see these moments.

alex61821
01-10-2013, 11:26 AM
I really like the composition of the pictures. the one with the little girl with mouse ears pressed up against the glass is a perfect disney ad. :mickey:

Not2Loud
01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks for sharing!

MarkC
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
A couple of thoughts-- fortunately for them, and not for us, you see very few people overweight in those photos. Wish it was that way now. You also see a lot more adults without kids in those photos. Not a lot of families running around. People had less money back then. And finally, just not many people in general. You have to really be lucky to find the parks that empty now.

KevMcNJ
01-10-2013, 05:22 PM
A couple of thoughts-- fortunately for them, and not for us, you see very few people overweight in those photos. Wish it was that way now. You also see a lot more adults without kids in those photos. Not a lot of families running around. People had less money back then. And finally, just not many people in general. You have to really be lucky to find the parks that empty now.
We noticed the lack of over weight people too.
I think the first 6-12 months that WDW was open the crowds were less than anticipated.

I think 1973 was rough too when gas got scarce for a time