PDA

View Full Version : Paul Frees - Confusion?

Elias1901
12-27-2012, 07:21 AM
I am just curious on one thing I have never fully understood. I know a man named Paul Frees narrates the Haunted Mansion attraction as the "Ghost Host"... but is he also the voice of Tony the Tiger? I heard the name Thurl Ravenscroft tossed around when mentioning the Haunted Mansion.

I think he's the lead singer of the graveyard tombstones (the one that looks like Walt Disney)... are they the same person? Are the different? I know the same guy sung "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" too. I am just a bit befuddled.

It's funny that I call myself a big Disney fan and I've never taken the time to research this tid-bit further. :blush:

Altair
12-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Thurl Ravenscroft was the voice of Tony the Tiger and also sang the Grinch song. He had the deep bass voice.
Paul Frees did a greater variety of voices.:mickey:

Elias1901
12-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Thurl Ravenscroft was the voice of Tony the Tiger and also sang the Grinch song. He had the deep bass voice.
Paul Frees did a greater variety of voices.:mickey:

Ohhhh... okay! Thanks!

Strmchsr
12-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Thurl Ravenscroft also did the original narration for POTC and is the bass singing during A Pirates Life For Me and he does the voice of Fritz in Tikibirds. So he's all over the Magic Kingdom. :mickey:

Elias1901
12-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Thurl Ravenscroft also did the original narration for POTC and is the bass singing during A Pirates Life For Me and he does the voice of Fritz in Tikibirds. So he's all over the Magic Kingdom. :mickey:

Heh, I find it kind of interesting that Thurl did the voice of Fritz in the original Tiki Room... but in the Under New Management version, he was voiced by Jerry Orbach (the voice of Lumiere). And Lumiere is one of my most favorite Disney characters! :D

Fangorn
12-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Paul Frees is also the voice of the Auctioneer in PotC, was the narrator for "Adventures through Inner Space" at Disneyland, and was the voice of Captain Nemo in 20000 Leagues under the Sea: the Submarine Voyage. He was also in a number of Disney movies - usually as a voice talent, but occasionally as an on-camera actor. He was also the voice of Ludwig von Drake.

Frees was also the voice of a whole host of non-Disney cartoon characters, the most famous probably being Boris Badenov from "Rocky and Bullwinkle". He was literally everywhere (films, TV, ads) in the '60s and '70s.

Steve

Elias1901
12-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Paul Frees is also the voice of the Auctioneer in PotC, was the narrator for "Adventures through Inner Space" at Disneyland, and was the voice of Captain Nemo in 20000 Leagues under the Sea: the Submarine Voyage. He was also in a number of Disney movies - usually as a voice talent, but occasionally as an on-camera actor. He was also the voice of Ludwig von Drake.

Frees was also the voice of a whole host of non-Disney cartoon characters, the most famous probably being Boris Badenov from "Rocky and Bullwinkle". He was literally everywhere (films, TV, ads) in the '60s and '70s.

Steve

It is kinda odd that Paul did the voice of Ludwig Von Drake... his voice doesn't sound all too much like a "ghost hosty" voice. :)

Elias1901
01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Heh, I find it kind of interesting that Thurl did the voice of Fritz in the original Tiki Room... but in the Under New Management version, he was voiced by Jerry Orbach (the voice of Lumiere). And Lumiere is one of my most favorite Disney characters! :D

Actually... I don't know what I was thinking on the day I posted this. I'm pretty sure that I am getting my Tiki Birds confused. I'm almost positive now that Jerry Orbach did the voice of Pierre... considering Pierre sounds *exactly* like Lumiere! xD

Strmchsr
01-04-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm almost positive now that Jerry Orbach did the voice of Pierre... considering Pierre sounds *exactly* like Lumiere! xD

You are correct. Jerry Orbach did Pierre in the Under New Management version of the Tiki Birds (though not the original).

Elias1901
01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Hmm. So, if Paul Frees did Fritz... and Wally Boag did Jose... who voiced Michael and Pierre in the original? Also, the UNM version would be good to know as well, except Pierre since I know that answer already.

On a different cord, I noticed I had another Haunted Manaion related person mixed up. Who's Eleanor Audley, Lea Tombs, etc? Are they the same person. I'm confident in saying that Eleanor Audley is the voice of Maleficent and Leota. But is Lea Tombs like a nickname or something? This is another Paul Frees-like confusion question all over again! Pffft. And they call me a Disney fan why again? :blush:

Fangorn
01-04-2013, 01:03 PM
In the orignal Disneyland version of Enchanted Tiki Room:

Jose - Wally Boag
Fritz - Thurl Ravenscroft
Michael - Fulton Burley
Pierre - Ernie Newton

For WDW's "Under New Management" version, the voice of Pierre was redone by Jerry Orbach. The other voices remained the same since they just re-edited the original vocal tracks.

Steve

Elias1901
01-05-2013, 12:18 AM
In the orignal Disneyland version of Enchanted Tiki Room:

Jose - Wally Boag
Fritz - Thurl Ravenscroft
Michael - Fulton Burley
Pierre - Ernie Newton

For WDW's "Under New Management" version, the voice of Pierre was redone by Jerry Orbach. The other voices remained the same since they just re-edited the original vocal tracks.

Steve

Very informative! Thank you kindly! :)

Strmchsr
01-05-2013, 07:52 AM
On a different cord, I noticed I had another Haunted Manaion related person mixed up. Who's Eleanor Audley, Lea Tombs, etc? Are they the same person.

Leota Toombs is the face of Madame Leota (and, yes, the character was named after her). She's also the Ghost Hostess at the end, though that's not intended to be the same character. Eleanor Audley did the voice for Madame Leota (as well as Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty and Lady Tremaine in Cinderella).

Elias1901
01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Leota Toombs is the face of Madame Leota (and, yes, the character was named after her). She's also the Ghost Hostess at the end, though that's not intended to be the same character. Eleanor Audley did the voice for Madame Leota (as well as Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty and Lady Tremaine in Cinderella).

Ah, okay. The root of the confusion for me was the same that I had with Paul Frees, for me. It was a matter of Leota Toombs and Thurl Ravenscroft sounding like aliases. Since they sound kinda Haunted Mansiony (ie Leota Toombs = Leota TOMBS, Thurl Ravenscroft = Thurl RAVENscrof). Maybe I am crazy. :secret:

Strmchsr
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I can definitely understand the confusion! But, they are the real names, believe it or not. :mickey:

Elias1901
01-11-2013, 02:42 AM
I can definitely understand the confusion! But, they are the real names, believe it or not. :mickey:

Yep. Well thanks to you and everyone else, I finally understand this mess. :)

LudwigVonDrake
01-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Steve

According to voice actor Corey Burton, Mr. Boag, Mr. Burley and Mr. Ravenscroft re-recorded tracks for the new management show. He was there as a "stand in" for Mr. Ohrbach.