- Discussion of food at Disney Parks

- Apparently Swatch still exists

- Michael wants supersized Dumbo

- Bathroom news!

- Tables in Wonderland huge price increase

- Food booths coming to Downtown Disney

- Capn’ Jack cupcake

- Tin Can Mel joins us for the second half – her headphones broke

- Best of things we’ve look forward to opening – did they live up to the hype! Mel chooses Soarin’. *Michael says Animal Kingdom and the glorious Yeti, Christine surprises us with a HOODA - the bleachers at Fantasmic, Gary says Animal Kingdom too, John goes with Epcot park opening. Ian goes with – wait for it – The Year of a Million Dreams and his Castle stay.

- We argue over the birthplace of aviation

- The customer service gate keepers that keep us from enjoying our vacation and life in general. *Michael & John share their experiences.

Listen, Download, Crank along with us... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2012/episode-44.asp)

Ian
12-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Oh boy ... this was a grumpy one ;)

Christine
12-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Didn't Thumper's mom say, "if you can't say anything nice, put it on a podcast?"
;)

Dopey's Girl
12-26-2012, 01:38 PM
It was a cranky one, but considering John and Michael's issues, I would be cranky too.

I work in a job where my customer service answers are largely regulated by the IRS. I can do very little outside the box to help customers who are unhappy with the situation. I always at least try though, and never make them to feel like it's their issue that created the situation.

We all spend a lot of time and money in Disney Parks and Resorts, we all know that sometimes things aren't perfect, but that generally they will do what they can to make our experiences as guests the best it can be. When that doesn't happen, and you get a cruddy meal (so sad about BOG Christine), or your room isn't right (I had an experience a lot like Michael did at AKL) and they don't go out of their way right away to make it ok, that stings.

Figment!
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
To add some additional info for our listeners:

Downtown Disney cast only reported that the food kiosks will be operating in the evenings through the end of the Holiday Season. As with many "temporary" installations, if they are popular they are likely to stay longer--but not guaranteed.

The Captain Jack Sparrow themed chocolate cupcake comes in a souvenir treasure chest.

... and for the record, I'm not changing the name of the INTERCOT Monthly News Column even if it turns some of you into giggling gerties ... :razz:

Melanie
12-26-2012, 08:03 PM
- Cranky John in the house and Mel goes right after him

Just a little defense for myself, John had been complaining that day about HIS team via Twitter/Facebook and I was just throwing out an educated guess as to why he'd be cranky. He asked, I guessed. ;)

Quadstriker
12-27-2012, 03:53 PM
The rose colored glasses contingent may disagree, but Ian is right on the money regarding the degradation of customer service being directly linked to the amount of people willing to provide what we all would consider "Disney level" service for absolutely junk pay and compensation.

Personally, I know two cast members in the last 2 months who have worked as face characters (the ones you're taking your children to meet and interact with) for years who have to leave their positions simply because the compensation that Disney offers their employees is not a livable wage.

This is pretty much the standard operating procedure for front line employees at DW. Bring in someone. Overwork and underpay them. Bleed them completely dry. Then get someone else.

All this won't change unless a miracle happens, because it would involve a fundamental change in fairly compensating good employees in order to retain them and maintain excellent customer service standards. That means money. That means... forget about it. Bring in another fresh 20 year old willing to work for nothing instead!

If I sound upset by all this, it's because I am.

NotaGeek
12-28-2012, 03:09 AM
Lord it WAS a cranky podcast!

TinkerbellT421
12-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the mention :mickey: I think John had promised free intercot swag for whoever decided to count the castle mentions......:D

Seriously John, I'm a HUGE red velvet anything nut, and the dunkin donuts red velvet donut was putrid! I was completely heartbroken!

Did you end up buying more lights during the post christmas huge discount sales? Stupid question but what exactly are the lights your looking for? I can always keep an eye open for you around here and if I find any let you know!

Michael, you had me laughing so hard with your story! I told DBF that it sounded like me, that is something I would totally say! Lol

I'm thinking about writing a trip report from our stay from 12/8 - 12/15. I think I told Christine about a few boardwalk villa hiccups we had when we met up with her. I was very frustrated and cranky! And when I start doing the complaining Italian hand thing, watch out! Lol and I was doing it!

Scott C
12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
+1 for mentioning the Air Force Museum -- my 2nd favorite place to be. Try to get there once a year or so. If you are ever in the area treat yourself to a stop.

Thanks
Scott C

disneymom15
12-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Listening to Christines reviews for Be Our Guest, and I totally disagree. We ate there twice on our last trip. First time dh had the carved turkey sandwich and choc cream puff, and I had the french onion soup and strawberry cream cupcake (all was excellent).
Second time he had the grilled steak sandwich (it was a bit dry) and the passion fruit cream puff, I had the croque monsieur and triple choc cupcake (it was all very good). We highly recommend it.

Septbride2002
01-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Michael - even cupcakes have made it to St. Louis ;)

~Amanda

Ian
01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
If I sound upset by all this, it's because I am.I'm upset by this trend in general, not just with Disney.

The shift in Corporate America from viewing your employees as a valuable, essential part of your business to treating them as "Human Resources" has not been something of which we should be proud.