PDA

View Full Version : Strollers in Epcot

spinnerf
12-20-2012, 02:35 PM
During my trip last week there were very low crowd levels. We were not allowed to bring my sons stroller into any pavillion in future world. Yet in World showcase we could go anywhere. I dont get it, if they allow wheelchairs in and my 3 month old son can hardly walk why not let infants in strollers? It did limit our trip as one parent always had to wait outside with him.

Disney Doll
12-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I agree, super annoying. My only thought is that the Land pavilion especially tends to get congested very easily.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I agree, I think it is simply a case that there isn't room for all of the strollers inside the pavillions.

The Land comes especially to find, with the different levels, and a small elevator to get between them.

gardenia
12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Unless your child is welded to the stroller, I don't see the problem. One parent carries the diaper bag, one carries (or wears) the baby, and you leave the stroller outside. We did it for years when our kids were little.

lawgirl
12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
We just got back, and a few times had a hard time finding stroller parking, and found a couple of times that our stroller had been moved and it took us a while to find it.

However, I always try to keep in mind that our baby can be taken out of the stroller and carried, while most wheelchair-bound persons cannot (be taken out and carried). Also, I may be wrong, but the ADA doesn't protect the rights of infants in stroller, just disabled people in wheelchairs. I just always try to keep that in mind whenever I start grumbling about taking a sleeping baby out of the stroller or having to wait with the stroller...I'm just thankful it's a stroller and not a wheelchair. We've been so blessed with the gift of health, and I try not to take it for granted.

spinnerf
12-20-2012, 10:47 PM
My 3 mo old son weighs 18 pounds. I also have a 2.5 year old daughter and a 9 year old daughter. It is not easy to hold him and watch the other 2. Now I understand its my problem and some of you super strong people are able to hold your babies for an hour or so but.... How can you allow the stroller in the Japan pavilion but not the land or nemo etc... I didn't think to bring a baby Bjorn because I assumed DISNEY is for families and a stroller for an infant wouldn't be a problem. I can understand if I was trying to bring my 2.5 year old in the stroller, she can walk. Just saying its inconsistent and for me was frustrating.

spinnerf
12-20-2012, 10:49 PM
And Gardenia.... What does a single parent with an infant and additional children do???? Maybe they can call you to come and hold the diaper bag.

Main Street Jim
12-20-2012, 10:55 PM
They wouldn't allow it in The Seas (go in the "back entrance"/exit just to view the aquarium, not riding the ride)? Not allowed into ImageWorks (or whatever it's called now? Not allowed into the store at the exits to Test Track or Mission: Space?

I can understand Spaceship Earth (unless you're just going into the post-show part with the games) and Universe of Energy (with just the ride/show). But not to allow it in any of the other pavilions?

Did you ask anything at Guest Relations?

spinnerf
12-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I snuck in at the living seas and was found and told strollers not allowed. Same at imagination. I didn't complain, I should have but with three kids I didn't get the opportunity.

Granny Jill A
12-21-2012, 01:43 PM
It would be a logistical nightmare to try and accommodate all those strollers in every attraction. The layout of the parks was designed before people started bringing VERY small children with them on trips.

You were completely alone with 3 kids? Wow! You're braver than I am. :D

spinnerf
12-21-2012, 07:50 PM
In what year did people "start bringing small children with them on trips"? As long as I have been going I recall seeing babies. And yes I am a 40 year old father of 3 and am quite accustomed to being with them alone. They are my children. I think it's unfair we couldn't go in to certain areas

Main Street Jim
12-21-2012, 08:22 PM
I think it's unfair we couldn't go in to certain areasWell...I don't think that's the problem...you *could* go into those "certain areas", but you chose not to because they wouldn't allow the stroller...correct?

Having worked in Attractions for almost ten years, I can't tell you how many, uhhh, "discussions"...I got into with guests about strollers on the steam trains....LOL

spinnerf
12-21-2012, 08:58 PM
This is becoming semantic. And a bit heated. My point is I would understand if the policy was no stroller in any building. But in every building in every other park (excluding theaters understandingly) and the world showcase, strollers are allowed. I simply do not understand why several buildings in future world do not allow it. Not allowing it is difficult for families. You are quite right Main Street Jim it's not that I "couldn't" go in, it's that carrying the baby with 2 other kids would be "difficult". If I were forced to carry my 180 pound grandma around on my shoulders it would also be difficult, but apparently I wouldn't have to because the pavilions are equipped for wheelchairs just not strollers. Irregardless of the fact that neither has the ability to walk. But the again years ago they didn't build structures for babies because no one travelled with them??? I think its been a long time since many of you have been responsible for children.

Aurora
12-21-2012, 10:13 PM
I was at another theme park with my baby and a couple of school-age children. My older kids wanted to go into a play area where strollers were not allowed, and the baby was sleeping in the stroller. Right in front of me a woman in a wheelchair was allowed in.

It was frustrating to me as well, since I had two kids begging to go in and another wheeled vehicle was allowed in. However, I understood the policy. Me being inside with one stroller wouldn't have been a problem. Me times 20 would have been.

I think the real issue is that when you get to an attraction like Soarin' inside the pavilion, there is no place inside to park all the strollers. The number of strollers parked outside tell you how impossible it would be to allow them all in. And it would also be impractical for CMs to allow them in some times and not others.

spinnerf
12-21-2012, 10:25 PM
It should be allowed for infants though. What's the difference between The Land and the Canadian Pavilion? The Land is much bigger and doesn't allow infants in strollers. It just doesn't make sense. And I wouldn't park the stroller with an infant, he can't ride Soarin, so I wouldn't need a place to park just a means of transport.

spinnerf
12-21-2012, 10:29 PM
And there's plenty of room for a stroller in the imagination play area. I could park a Chevy from Test Track in there and no one would notice.

kakn7294
12-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry that this put a damper on your trip but I can understand why they're not allowed inside many of the buildings. I've been in The Land pavilion at peak times and you can't move in there. Add in strollers and it would be a complete nightmare.

spinnerf
12-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Is there more room in the Japan store at peak times than there is in The Land?

TheVBs
12-22-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm really sorry about the frustration this caused you on your trip. It does seem inconsistent. Perhaps the WS pavillions aren't as crowded usually? But we've never been there at a peak time. Although, it sounds like you were there at a slow time too.

It's actually possible to understand Disney's policy AND be sympathetic to the OP's problem with it. No need for harsh responses.

Scar
12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking it could just be an issue of shear volume. I mean I just don't see nearly as many stollers in World Showcase than I see in most other areas.

texas211
12-22-2012, 11:50 AM
I also think that as time has passed strollers have gotten to be the same size as a Ford sedan, made wider with the 100lbs of junk people now feel they need to tackle the parks with.

Plus, the land is hard enough to get around with all the people, let alone with strollers.

cfoshe
12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
They cannot state its ok to have a stroller in here because you have an infant, then tell the next person you cannot have a stroller because you have 1 yr old. Beside, strollers is not allowed in any park ride buildings in any park. The land has rides in it, so if you took the stroller inside and then decided to ride a ride, where do they store all the strollers? Nemo is a ride building. All the shops in WDW allow strollers, so families with strollers will shop, and most of the buildings in World Show Case is merchant shops.

spinnerf
12-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Imagination and Living Seas both have shops, neither allow strollers. Mexico is a ride building as you say and yet I had no problem with stroller there or in Norway. I'm not looking for you all to rewrite Disney policy, I'm just trying to point out there is an illogical discrepancy in their policy.

lawgirl
12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Just a thought, and I certainly have no idea, but do you think it could be at all related to fire and safety regs? Don't they monitor very closely the number of guests in each building? Maybe it has something to do with the amount of space, number of exits, and amount of people that are allowed in due to the safety regs. And by law, they have to allow for wheelchairs, which would also cut down on the available "safety" space or max occupancy.

And, I'm sure it does get crowded at times, but I've never once been to the Japan pavillion when it was crowded, whereas I've never been to the Land pavillion when it wasn't crowded.

It is kinda baffling though why they would have differing policies...it must be for some reason.