PDA

View Full Version : Gift Card What would you do???

Disney4us2
12-19-2012, 07:48 PM
My DD got an American Express gift card for one of birthday gifts. It is from one of her best friends.

We went to use the card tday and it was declined. HUH??? :mad::mad::confused::confused:

Just got off of the phone. They told me I need to fax the recipt, front and back of the gift card and a photo ID to get it replaced. I was told the card was never activated.

How do you go about asking for the recipt, especially when we are good friends. Do I just forget about it. It is only $25.00. The thought was there. I dont want to be nit picky. I am sure Sonya (friend's mom) would be ok with it. Just don't want her to take anything the wrong way. It was just hard (and embarassing) to be at the store and have her purchase declined.

Gosh.... I LOVE Disney gift cards:D

What would you do?

magicofdisney
12-19-2012, 07:55 PM
I would nicely tell them the card was declined and ask if they still have the receipt because that's needed to resolve the issue.

Personally, I would not be offended if someone I gave a gift card to told me this happened to them. I'd only feel awful if they had not told me, particularly if we are good friends.

Melanie
12-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd ask your friend as well. I always keep those receipts just in case there is a problem, and wouldn't mind at all if someone asked me for it. Good luck!

buzznwoodysmom
12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I definitely wouldn't be offended if a friend asked me for the receipt. However, I probably would no longer have the receipt depending on how long ago I gave the gift. I normally keep receipts for gifts for a few weeks then throw them out. I imagine it might be embarassing if you asked for it and the friend no longer has it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-19-2012, 09:15 PM
I would ask for the receipt, especially since they are close friends.

Things happen, and the activations don't always process quite how they should, and I'd feel rotten if I found out later that my gift didn't work.

I usually include the activation receipt when I give a GC, just for this reason.

Mickey'sGirl
12-19-2012, 10:55 PM

Things happen, and the activations don't always process quite how they should, and I'd feel rotten if I found out later that my gift didn't work.

I usually include the activation receipt when I give a GC, just for this reason.
Ditto!

kakn7294
12-19-2012, 11:07 PM
As someone who has purchased a gift card that was declined when we went to use it (we purchased it for ourselves for fuel points at our local gas station), I would not be offended when someone asked me for the receipt. Now when I purchase, I always make sure to get a receipt that says that the card was activated.

Disney4us2
12-19-2012, 11:36 PM
I called and talked to her DH. She was sleeping (works nights at the ICU). I will talk to her later. Hopefully she will still have the recipt for the card.

VWL Mom
12-20-2012, 06:12 AM

Me too, I usually just tape it to the back of the card. I even do it with Disney cards I buy at our local food store that I pickup through the year in case there's a problem when we're onsite.

Pirate Granny
12-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Was the mom or dad around when your daughter got the gift card as a gift?

Kenny1113
12-20-2012, 08:12 AM

Ditto!

Katzateer
12-20-2012, 08:18 AM

I have had this happen - the cards just didn't get activated. I would not be embarrassed- it isn't like you are asking how much the gift cost. If I got someone a gift card and it wasn't activated I would want to know. It would just be GIVING the store money if it never got used.

princessgirls
12-20-2012, 09:27 AM
I agree...talk to the mom. Chances are she has the receipt, and will want the situation taken care of, as she spent her money on it, and it probably was a computer glitch, and no one wants to throw money away these days...LOL!

Julie:mickey:

retiredfigment
12-20-2012, 12:02 PM
For sure ask. I gave my niece a GC for Toys R Us. When they went to use it, it was declined. They called and I tried to remember what happened. In the confusion of the self checkout the cashier handed to me, I put in in my pocket, unfortunately neither of us activated it. LOL.

BrerGnat
12-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Don't feel bad about calling. I would hope they still have the receipt, but it's possible they don't. I always include the receipt with the cards that I give as gifts too.

We just had a giftcard declined at a local Lego store. We had the received it in the mail directly from Lego (gifts for my boys from their aunt). Even with the paper it came with, and the activation code, it sill didn't work. Turns out, they had put all the money my sister spent on one card, but sent one card to each of my 2 boys. It was confusing, but we figured it out.

PirateLover
12-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I also read an article about how people are scamming by taking pictures of the codes on gift cards in stores, waiting until after the holidays, and then shopping online with the codes. I sure hope there are no problems with any of the gift cards I gave out already because I did not save the receipts. Someone even gave us a card with a receipt, and we ditched the receipt before we used it! :blush: From now on I know better!

Disney4us2
01-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Whewww. Finally got everything resolved. My friend got her a new gift card. I gave her back the old one. She will take the card and the recipt back to Walmart and deal with it.

Now she can't remember if she even paid for it (the origianal card) in the hustle/bustle of all the shopping for the holidays and her DD's birthday. Our girls birthdays are just days apart.

Glad is it all resolved:thumbsup: Good start to the new year.

TinkerbellT421
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Well, if she got it at walmart that may be the problem. Our local walmarts had several issues with gift cards. Something major happened because they ya Jed all the gift cards off the shelves, and one day the day before christmas I went to purchase a gift card and they told me I couldn't purchase it at that time because they were having issues with activations. So I never ended up getting it. But again, that was here in ri, I am not sure if it was an issue at any others. I thought it was odd when I couldn't find them one week, then when I did find them they wouldn't even activate them, or even attempt to. Especially the day before christmas!

DisneyLandMomma
01-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Some thing happened when I tried to buy some iTunes gift cards at WalMart...they said their activation system was down at the time.