PDA

View Full Version : Don't Sweat The Little Things

DizneyFreak2002
12-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Don't sweat the little things, just as the title of this thread says...

The last 48 hours have been a whirlwind of horrible... On Thursday, I spent 12 hours, maybe 13 in the emergency room with my dad... He suffered a stroke in the morning, and we wound up in the ER all those hours waiting for him to get his tests taken and for a room... I think it was terrible he had to wait for a room like he did, especially since they knew in the afternoon he was being admitted... On top of that, I wasn't getting any answers from anyone in the ER as to any of his test results, which only infuriated me, him, my mother (who couldn't be there because of her own health issues), and my brother (who couldn't even be there because the pieces of trash he works for wouldn't let him have off despite them knowing of the emergency)...

Anyway, I can report that his CAT scan came back negative, but we still haven't gotten the results of his MRI or neck untrasound back... His speech is all that was affected... He can walk, has no memory loss, and is 100% fully functional other than, like I said, his affected speech... But he has been diagnosed as having a stroke in the left front lobe of the brain...

I may come off as a rude and obnoxious idiot on here, and to be honest, if that is how my online persona is thought of, I don't really care... Why? It is just one little thing in life that, in all honesty, doesn't matter... At the same time, some of the little issues that plague WDW, well, they don't matter either... Life is all about enjoying every day you have here on earth, cause sadly, any day could be our last... And the sad events in CT today prove that... Horrible, beyond horrible... :(

I'll try to bring the site some news and updates (whether positive or negative), and I'll always take management to task over decisions I do not agree with (and that truly are bazaar in nature)... But, everything else, well, I just can no longer sweat it... And I will try to stay as active as I can but my first concern right now is making sure my father gets the help he needs and my mother gets the help she needs... They are my first priority...

Sorry for the rambling... I'm exhausted from a long say yesterday, and just now finally getting my nerves under control...

AgentC
12-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Best wishes to you and your family. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

slegrant
12-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Hope everyone gets better fast:mickey:

WRWDisney
12-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Here's hopping everything with your Dad works out and that he makes a full and speedy recovery.

wildernesslady
12-15-2012, 07:58 AM
My sympathies go out to all the families in CT. I hope they and you can begin the healing process.

cer
12-15-2012, 08:08 AM
So sorry to hear about all you are going through with your dad and mom. Praying peace, healing and encouragement for you all.

Dopey's Girl
12-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad! I hope that his care improves and that he's feeling better very soon!

You are very right. In a world where what happened in CT, some of the other stuff we gripe about here is meaningless!

VWL Mom
12-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I hope things work out with your dad and mom. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent for your family.

PirateLover
12-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Very sorry to hear about your troubles. What a long day that most have been. No need to apologize for rambling, that is what this section is for sometimes. A place for you to get it all out. I hope you were able to get some rest and that everything with your family will be OK. :pixie:

BrowncatP
12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Sounds like he will be ok. That is good news. My father in June, and then his brother in July passed away both due primarily to complications from the strokes that they suffered the same month that they died.

stephicakes
12-15-2012, 07:31 PM
I am so glad your dad is doing ok and I will pray for his continued recovery. It must take a lot of time and energy to care for both of your parents so make sure you take care of yourself too, DizneyFreak2002.

You are SO right that tragedy puts things in perspective for us - it's crazy how caught up we can get in the little stuff, isn't it?? The people we love are the most important thing and are irreplaceable...

(Oh... and for the record... I DON'T think you are a rude and obnoxious idiot :thumbsup:)

Get some rest and keep us posted!

DizneyFreak2002
12-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Sounds like he will be ok. That is good news. My father in June, and then his brother in July passed away both due primarily to complications from the strokes that they suffered the same month that they died.

So sorry to hear that Browncat... You know, as complex as the human body is, one little thing can throw everything off...

To everyone, thank you for the kind words... They are appreciated... Just to update: he came home today, went to pick him up around noon or so... All that seems to have been affected is his speech... His doctor said he may benefit from speech therapy, so now that is what we will concentrate on getting for him... He needs to follow up with his doctor as well...

I'm thankful it wasn't as serious as it could have been, not that a stroke isn't serious as it is...

Hopefully 2013 will be a much better year for everyone... Hope you all have a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season!!!

John
12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Family ALWAYS, ALWAYS comes first. Hopefully things will get better in the weeks and months ahead. Best wishes for you and those close to you.

TinkerbellT421
12-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Wishing your dad, mom, family and you positive thoughts and healing to get you through this.

And for the record, you are not an obnoxious idiot. :thumbsup: you are thoughtful and truthful :)

hoop de do
12-16-2012, 11:11 AM
I hope and pray things get better for you and yours. I'm sure they will. The initial shock and diagnosis of these things can be alot to digest and handle.
Be sure and take care of yourself. Stress can be very detrimental to your health.
Keep us posted if you can.
Prayers and Pixie Dust coming your way.

:tink::pixie::tink::pixie:

disney obsessed
12-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Very glad to hear he is home. My mom is 85 and in assisted living and I work at an assisted living. Please make sure to check with their insurance to see what type of help you can get for them in their home. You do not need to carry the burden and will be able to help them longer if you get help early.

Good luck.

barnaby
12-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your dad, you and your family.

DizneyFreak2002
12-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Thank you to every one who replied after my first thank you... Things are on the up and up so far... :)

laprana
12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm so sorry you've had to go through such a stressful time, but I'm glad to hear your dad is doing better and will be ok! Sending lots of :pixie::pixie: that things will continue to improve for your whole family!

You're exactly right...the little stuff that we all fret and worry about don't mean anything. Family, friends, and health are the most important things in this life, and something everyone, including me, takes for granted all too often.

And for the record, I never once read one of your posts and thought you were rude, obnoxious, or an idiot. I enjoy reading your posts and your insights on all things WDW, and I see you as a very valuable member of Intercot!

Happy Holidays to you and your family, and I hope things look up in the new year! :hug:

brownie
12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I hope recovery goes well for your dad.

Melanie
12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Glad your dad is doing better, Bobby. :)

DizneyFreak2002
12-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Glad your dad is doing better, Bobby. :)

Thanks Mel...

Finally got the results of the MRI and ultrasound from his heart doctor... The heart doctor was never notified of the events Thursday even though he was supposed to be.. Shoddy care all the way around from my father's doctor to the ER doctor (who looked like he was high on something) to the neurologist not even following up...

We are very satisfied with the results...

DizneyFreak2002
12-18-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm so sorry you've had to go through such a stressful time, but I'm glad to hear your dad is doing better and will be ok! Sending lots of :pixie::pixie: that things will continue to improve for your whole family!

You're exactly right...the little stuff that we all fret and worry about don't mean anything. Family, friends, and health are the most important things in this life, and something everyone, including me, takes for granted all too often.

And for the record, I never once read one of your posts and thought you were rude, obnoxious, or an idiot. I enjoy reading your posts and your insights on all things WDW, and I see you as a very valuable member of Intercot!

Happy Holidays to you and your family, and I hope things look up in the new year! :hug:

I hope recovery goes well for your dad.

Just caught these.. Sorry...

Thank you both for the thoughts... :)

BrerGnat
12-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Glad to hear things are looking good for your father.

As for the shoddy care...unfortunately, that's the way it is these days in health care. You have to stay on top of everything, it seems. Follow up care/reporting rarely happens without the patient's own doing, especially when an ER visit happens. I have had this happen over and over with my own situations. It's frustrating, to say the least.

I hope your father continues to improve.

DVC2004
12-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Sorry, haven't been on too much lately but I just read this. I am sorry to hear about your dad but glad to hear he is doing better.

DizneyFreak2002
12-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Glad to hear things are looking good for your father.

As for the shoddy care...unfortunately, that's the way it is these days in health care. You have to stay on top of everything, it seems. Follow up care/reporting rarely happens without the patient's own doing, especially when an ER visit happens. I have had this happen over and over with my own situations. It's frustrating, to say the least.

I hope your father continues to improve.

Thanks Nat... One thing about me, people do not know what is coming... I may look and act quiet, but you can never judge a book by its cover... And believe me, his doctor is going to learn that first hand... :)

The Italian in me will come out for sure.. LOL

MNNHFLTX
12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm so sorry for all that you and your family are going through. Strokes are scary events, so I'm very glad to hear your dad is on the mend. As far as not sweating the little things, that is very true; getting upset only drives up the blood pressure and takes a toll on your own health. :)

TheVBs
01-01-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm so sorry about all you and your family went through with your dad's health scare! So glad to hear he's recovering well. And I agree, the care issues need to be addressed. Unfortunately, as patients we have to advocate for ourselves or our loved ones. Let them have it!

And, just have to say, you are so right! My mom always tells us not to sweat the small stuff and I can fully embrace that after we had a huge scare with her right before the holidays. Also a heart issue, but electrical not plumbing, as the surgeon put it. From zero heart problems to a pacemaker in 60 seconds. :confused: We thought she'd caught our flu. I was calling to check on her a few times a day and one morning she passed out while I was on the phone with her! Thank goodness she lives just a few houses down and I have the keys. Called an ambulance and her heart stopped a few times before they got her stabilized. That took a few years off my life, I can tell you. But, we were incredibly fortunate to have A+ service all the way. She's "fixed" and recovering wonderfully! :cloud9:

Mrs Bus Driver
01-01-2013, 12:30 PM
I had no idea you were going through so much. Glad to read your father is doing better. And do stay on top of things with his health care.

I know what you are saying don't sweat the small stuff. Been through the ringer several times over the last 5 years and it started to affect my health. So had to take a good long look at my life, figure out what I could do and put the rest aside. Now things are getting better. As others have said your family is important, let the rest go if you need to. Good luck to you and yours