PDA

View Full Version : Dining at Hollywood Studios

Gator
12-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Here's a rundown of what my eating experiences at DHS during my recently ended 10 night stay.

Catalina Eddies We stopped here for lunch after B&tB show. They have a really good Italian deli sandwich that me and my wife liked. Not gourmet by any means, but better than another hamburger.

Hollywood&Vine We did this for the Fantasmic! Dining Package. We chose this place because buffets are really good with children. I've never been a fan of this place, but this time I really liked it. The bread, salad, meats, and veggies were all very well done. I liked this place a lot better than Crystal Palace buffet.

Sci-Fi Dine In My wife and I went here on our honeymoon 10 years ago. Decided to try it again. And it will be at least 10 years before we return here. And maybe never. The food is just so ordinary. And the lighting of the cars make it virtually impossible to see your food. I got the ribs, which were not good at all. And the kids were scared to death of the clips of the old horror flics - shoulda seen that coming. It just wasn't the fun place I remembed. The redeeming grace was the awesome cookies&cream shake, followed up by a vanilla coke. Other than that, blah. I'm trying 50's Prime Time next time. Couldn't be any worse.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Sci-Fi Dine In My wife and I went here on our honeymoon 10 years ago. Decided to try it again. And it will be at least 10 years before we return here. And maybe never. The food is just so ordinary. And the lighting of the cars make it virtually impossible to see your food. I got the ribs, which were not good at all. And the kids were scared to death of the clips of the old horror flics - shoulda seen that coming. It just wasn't the fun place I remembed. The redeeming grace was the awesome cookies&cream shake, followed up by a vanilla coke. Other than that, blah. I'm trying 50's Prime Time next time. Couldn't be any worse.

Back in June 2010 I went here for dinner and ate the ribs and my two big complaints were that the ribs were not tasty and it was so dark I had rib sauce all over me and didn't even know it (nor could I see what my wild-and-crazy 2.5 year-old was doing).

Then in October my wife and I went alone to WDW and ate burgers and fries at Sci-Fi for lunch and it was so much better. Sci-Fi is just not able to do dinner very well, but it's great for a sit-down hamburger (and onion rings :eat:).

WDW*Dreamer
12-10-2012, 08:30 AM
When it comes to eating at DHS I have two must-dos:

1. 50's Prime Time Cafe - food is good, and we always have a great time with the waitstaff. Last visit (Thanksgiving day) Jen was our waitress, she did a GREAT job!

2. The Carrot Cake cookie at Writer's Stop is one of the best uses of a snack credit in WDW!

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-10-2012, 09:40 AM
I got the ribs, which were not good at all.

My worst meal EVER at Disney was the ribs at Sci-Fi ... just miserable.

But, we ate there on our last trip (DD's request) and things other than the ribs were OK.

Ms. Mode
12-10-2012, 09:56 AM
We only eat Sci-Fi for lunch...ever! The best dining at HS is The Brown Derby...love it!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
We ate at 50's Prime Time and loved it. I got scolded by our waitress for not finishing all my vegetables "is kale even a food?" and she made me take another bite in front of the kids. She was sassy and interacted great in front of all the tables.

"Don't worry - I'll clean up your mess!" as people would leave their tables. And the food was good.

I know a lot of people are kind of iffy on it, but we had dinner at Momma Melrose as well and thouroughly enjoyed it.

I popped my head into Sci-fi after sneaking in to use their bathroom after Osborne. From what I saw, I have absolutely no desire to eat there, and this only adds to that feeling.

RedSoxFan
12-12-2012, 07:20 AM
We had dinner at Mama Melrose and it was delicious (I had spaghetti/meatballs).

VWL Mom
12-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Then in October my wife and I went alone to WDW and ate burgers and fries at Sci-Fi for lunch and it was so much better. Sci-Fi is just not able to do dinner very well, but it's great for a sit-down hamburger (and onion rings :eat:).

I agree and was pleased to see them back on the menu for dinner. Nice to pop in after a day at the park when you're not in the mood for a big meal.

AgentC
12-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree and was pleased to see them back on the menu for dinner. Nice to pop in after a day at the park when you're not in the mood for a big meal.

:ditto: We always get the burgers, shakes and onion rings at Sci Fi and have not been disappointed.

They should just stick to what they are best at and really that food fits in best with a drive in.

Gator
12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
:ditto: We always get the burgers, shakes and onion rings at Sci Fi and have not been disappointed.

They should just stick to what they are best at and really that food fits in best with a drive in.

I almost got the picnic burger. But I get enough burgers from the typical counter service places that I didn't want "another" burger. How much better could it be than a burger with fixens at Pecos Bill or Cosmic Ray's?

emerzmom
12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I am so glad I read this posting! I have an ADR for Sci Fi for our trip in March however I totally forgot about how dark it is in there. My mom has some signficant night vision issues (movie theaters are very difficult for her to navigate...with the lights on). I think I am going to cancel this ADR. Thank you Intercotees!
:tink:
Julie

Gator
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
My mom has some signficant night vision issues (movie theaters are very difficult for her to navigate...with the lights on). I think I am going to cancel this ADR. Thank you Intercotees!
:tink:
Julie

If that's the case, definitely avoide SciFi. I poked my head into 50s Prime Time and it looked pretty cool and interesting. The menu looks better there too.

AgentC
12-13-2012, 07:45 AM
I almost got the picnic burger. But I get enough burgers from the typical counter service places that I didn't want "another" burger. How much better could it be than a burger with fixens at Pecos Bill or Cosmic Ray's?

I understand the burger overload. I don't tend to get them a lot at the quick serve so I don't mid occasionally getting them at a sit down. I think they are better than the ones at Pecos or Cosmic but that might just be me.

If that's the case, definitely avoide SciFi. I poked my head into 50s Prime Time and it looked pretty cool and interesting. The menu looks better there too.

We have eaten at Prime Time. It is a lot of fun. The menu is basic home style cooking but it is good. The atmosphere is cute. Definitely the better choice if anyone in your party has issues with the dark.

Lindsey310
12-13-2012, 07:21 PM
We had dinner at Mama Melrose and it was delicious (I had spaghetti/meatballs).

Ditto for delicious at mamas! I had the pesto gnocchi and it was so good!!! :eat: