PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Studios needs big help

Daisy'sMom
12-09-2012, 05:16 PM
We went over to the Studios yesterday with family members that have never been to HS. I was so excited for them to experience a great park but left so disappointed. First the parking was terrible, whatever happened to making sure the rows of cars were neat enough for someone to leave without the fear of banging another car that is out in the lane?
THen we go on Great Movie Ride and the cast members mumbled thru it and no one could understand what either one was saying. They acted so bored.
Then we did the backlot tour. What a mistake. We were the last car to leave, they were closing it at 5. There was no recording to tell anyone what they were seeing, and no interaction. The driver and other cast member did not say one word. It was horrble.
One of the family members that we were with said he should have gone to Universal Studios and we had to agree.
Hardly any Christmas decorations except for the Osbourne lights. Cast members were so grumpy, disheveled and bored. Staggs is not a good leader after all.:mickey:

A Big Kid
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
That pretty much sums up mytrip.

Disney used to do everything First Class. They KNEW by investing $$, they were going to get $$$$ back in return. Now it is all about cutting corners-from everything to castmembers to attractions.

KevMcNJ
12-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I loved the place back when it was called MGM Studios.

But there was a gap in my life where I didnt get to visit WDW from 1991 until 2008. When we visited WDW in 2008 I couldnt wait to get back to MGM. But once we got there, I was disappointed to learn the place hadnt aged well at all. Heck it wasnt even called MGM Studios any longer!

When I visted in 1990 & 91 I could easily have spent an entire day at MGM. Now if I can walk down Hollywood Blvd for old times' sake and ride ToT and RnR Im ready to go

The Great Movie Ride is a time machine for me in that I can ride it and feel like Im 24 again but it feels dated and shopworn now. Doesnt help that they put that stupid hat right in front of that beautiful building so you cant even see the building any longer.

If theres no lines I could easily spend an hour in DHS and be ready to go on to the other (better) Theme parks

I know nothing about the inner workings of WDW. Im just a geek who is fortunate enough to be able to get there once every couple years. And I know not one person who works there but it almost seems to me like DHS is the theme park they dont know what to do with and is the theme park they wish they hadnt built

joanna71985
12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
For GMR- some of the mics don't work very well. Maybe that's what happened why you couldn't hear the tour guide

Backlot Tour- it is not a spieling attraction anymore. There is supposed to be a recording that is played

andypooh
12-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Hopefully Cars World will help revitalize the park

Gator
12-10-2012, 12:14 AM
I agree it needs help, but not in the area you point to. Those issues just seem to be poor CMs, which is not what I experienced on my two days there. I thought the live stuff was great as usual. However, they do need another E-ticket attraction I think. And the Indy show could use a new script as well. Maybe another good dining option could help.

missastrocat
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I haven't posted at all since our trip a few weeks ago, but my DH had never been to WDW, and he said that Hollywood Studios was his favorite park. We had one of the bad working microphones on the GMR and the CM kept hitting it trying to get it to work. We just giggled when it happened.

We didn't get a chance to even do the Backlot tour as it was out, and so was LMA until the next to last day of our trip. We went back out to Studios to see it and he really enjoyed it!

We did have to wait over an hour for ToT, because the wait said 30 minutes when we got in line, but then one side went down, so with only two elevator/rides working, it took over an hour in line. We had a nice conversation with the family behind us and tried to enjoy the time we had.

As someone who has gone to the park multiple times, I was a bit annoyed at the LONG lines at RnRC, ToT, and TSM (and all the fastpasses had been distributed by 11:30am), but I had to take a step back, and just figure that we got to do a lot of cool things, and we'll be back to do others. My DH on the other hand thought it was the best because he said it has a little bit of everything. I guess he thought it was neat that it was constantly changing, at least in his eyes. :)

Daisy'sMom
12-10-2012, 09:54 AM
I would love to say the mic wasn't working on the GMR, however we were in the third row. Both cast members were mumbling and so bored. It was disgusting. The guy behind us said both should be let go. I agree.:mickey:

A Big Kid
12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
@missastrocat. The issue i have with your position is that, coming from Disney, its inexcusable. They charge more because, ostensibly, your are getting a better product.

Aurora
12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I will be interested to read everyone's trip reports from this past week re: crowds and CMs. From what I understand, they were expecting very large crowds this weekend and this could have had an effect on overextended CMs. Not excusing it, but hope to read what others' experiences have been.

Sis is down there now; they tried to pick park days based on crowd expectations. They went to Animal Kingdom Friday, got there after noon and said there very few lines but that the park was filling up as they were leaving later in the afternoon. They did HS on Saturday and Epcot yesterday. Avoided the MK for the whole weekend because of all the events, so they're going today.

So far they are having a wonderful time; they had very good experiences eating at the Brown Derby, Ohana's and Cafe de France. Loved the Osbourne Family lights. These are veteran park-goers but are not big internet users so I will try to post their experiences when they return.

etibbetts
12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Wow, I'm surprised to read your post. I was just in Disney the last week of November and Hollywood Studios was great. We did the Great Movie Ride 3 times and all three were wonderful. The CM's got into their "roles" and had fun with it. We did the Backlot Tour and the recording did play, it was fine. Wait times for the big attractions were long, but that's not Disney's fault.

When my sister stopped to take pic's of my nephew and niece in front of the Tower of Terror sign one of their "bellhops" even came over to ham it up in the pics with them. Everyone we encountered was fabulous!

Sorry to hear you had some bad experiences. Hopefully it will be better for you the next time.

missastrocat
12-10-2012, 02:01 PM
@ABigKid - I understand that your trip has been unlucky to say the least. It stinks, it really does. Hopefully there are some good bits to your holiday that you can make memorable for you and your family.

I did want to clarify and add that there were maintainance/workers on top of the ToT fixing it while we were there. I guess the microphones on GMR are not showstoppers.

I do understand the importance of the Disney magic and for me, this vacation was our 1st vacation since we got married, because we haven't been able to afford one in a very long time. I wasn't going to let lines, rude CMs, and bad experiences override the importance and FUN of this vacation. If WDW isn't fun anymore, lesson learned and move forward.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I think it can depend on whether or not you have kids. We have 3 dd ages 5-7-10 and we actually axed an Epcot day to add a 3rd DHS day.

I agree some of the attractions are getting dated. Muppet 3D can probably go or needs retooling, especially in light of Mickey's Philharmagic, it just doesn't hold up any more. The new Star Tours is great, and each of the three days we went, we were basically able to walk on/off/on multiple times with no more than a 10 minute wait.

I wouldn't mind seeing another show. They used to have Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback performances, before they built the B&B stage. I'd love to see another show added in rotation somewhere.

But between getting character photos/autographs and doing the rides and giving the kids a break in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, I couldn't believe how fast the day would go.

As for GMR, its kind of lame, the favorite part for me is actually the queue line, which on our recent visit last week had little or no wait, so I couldn't see all the movie clips. But the ride needs changing.

DizneyFreak2002
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Part of the problem is DHS has no identity... What is it? A working studio? A movie lot? Hollywood? It is a mess and a jumble of rides with no real point... The park lost its identity when Disney tried to make Orlando Hollywood of the east coast... Didn't work... Now, DHS really stands for nothing... The park needs a make over much like DCA did... And no, Cars Land (or a value engineered version of it) is not the answer...

mom2morgan
12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your experience :-( I LOVE DHS - it is my favourite park - and when I was there in September we had a great experience. I hope the problems you point to aren't the norm. I know it can be hit and miss, but we felt the CM's on that trip were all fabulous - hight point was the 2 young guys at Tower of Terror - we were getting into the spirit of pretending we were checking into a hotel and it was turning out a little creepy, and they TOTALLY hammed it up for us. Had my daughters in hysterics!

Grizz16
12-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Three words: Star Wars Land

Do something similar to Harry Potter at Universal, incorporating the Star Tours buliding.

brownie
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Sorry you had a poor experience at Disney's Hollywood Studios. We didn't experience any of this the two days we were at Disney's Hollywood Studios during INTERCOT 15. We had a rental car so we parked in the lot and had no problems leaving our parking spaces; the cars were spaced well. The Great Movie Ride went on without a hitch. The Backlot Tour was closed for refurbishment while we were there so we didn't get to go on that.

BrerGnat
12-11-2012, 08:49 AM
I agree that DHS needs almost a complete overhaul, a la Disney's California Adventure.

It's a random mish mash of stuff that is loosely "movie" related, but it doesn't tie together in a cohesive way at all.

We generally dislike DHS and only visit to maybe ride Star Tours, ToT, and last year, to see the Osborne Lights.

I don't really miss DHS if I don't visit it during a trip.

DisneyDawgette
12-12-2012, 02:54 AM
This used to be my favorite park, but I was very underwhelmed on our last trip. I didn't NOT enjoy the park and I will continue to go back, but the disarray and illogical layout did strike me as frustrating. However, I do really love ToT, GMR, RnRC, and other assorted experiences at the park! And after DBF's first encounter with Fantasmic, there's no skipping that park ever again! :thumbsup:

BUT, with new acquisitions of LucasFilms and the continuing gift that Pixar keeps giving, they have plenty to work off of! They just need to start it! Just trying to keep the faith that it's going to happen soon! :mickey:

darthmacho
12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
They don't need to add a Star Wars theme, apparently it's already a wretched hive of scum and villainy... :D

Kidding. I really enjoyed our two visits to DHS this year, and was especially pleased with our meal at Mama Melrose. The park definitely suffers from a lack of direction which needs to be addressed with some long-term planning. Just do it Disney.

MrPeetrie
12-13-2012, 09:55 AM
On our four most recent trips, Hollywood Studios has become our least-visited park. The shame is: it has two or three of the best rides on property. But we usually go in October and I guess that's not a good time to go because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on. The backlot tour has been very short and uneventful when we've ridden it. (Maybe it's shortened to prepare for Osborne Lights. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.) The Great Movie Ride is in need of an update (refurb). I'm not a fan of Lights, Motor, Action!

One reason we used to LOVE to go here was the shopping opportunities. My favorite place on property used to be Mouse About Town. They used to have plenty of clothing options for men. Now, it's all generic. it's the same here as any other park, as well as Downtown Disney. So, even on a 10-day stay, we only spent one day there, and it wasn't even a full day. We slept in and started late. Bummer!

bruin1344
12-13-2012, 01:15 PM
The more I go to DHS, the more its turning into 1 half day park on a week long vacation like AK. Unless I go with a newbie, I skip most of the shows and will even skip any rides that have longer than half hour wait.

A Big Kid
12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
The more I go to DHS, the more its turning into 1 half day park on a week long vacation like AK. Unless I go with a newbie, I skip most of the shows and will even skip any rides that have longer than half hour wait.

I haven't been to a show at DHS since they dumped the Hunchback.

rnin02
12-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Our experience this time has been similar, very little CM interaction, just a lot of arm waving to say "hurry up" and pointing where to go. At ToT the CM didn't say anything besides telling us where to stand and which row boards first. The Great Movie ride was the only exception with the CM actually talking outside the script a tiny bit, trying to talk with my DS a little. it actually makes me very sad because its my mom's and my DS's first time and they are getting to see a lot of crowds, wait times and missing the nice, fun CM interaction that used to make Disney different from other parks. So far we've been to 3 of the 4 (going to AK today) and that has been our experience at every park. sad.

BrowncatP
12-14-2012, 06:52 PM
The week after Thanksgiving I was there. You missed going on the TOT and having a manager tell you what row you would be in. I guess a cast member was sick??, and the manager(I'm guessing) had to fill in. He was wearing a regular shirt, no costume.

A Big Kid
12-14-2012, 08:35 PM
The week after Thanksgiving I was there. You missed going on the TOT and having a manager tell you what row you would be in. I guess a cast member was sick??, and the manager(I'm guessing) had to fill in. He was wearing a regular shirt, no costume.

And people will make excuses for this behavior. Its inexcusable.

joanna71985
12-14-2012, 08:56 PM
I would love to say the mic wasn't working on the GMR, however we were in the third row. Both cast members were mumbling and so bored. It was disgusting. The guy behind us said both should be let go. I agree.:mickey:

This makes me sad! I worked at GMR for 2.5 years, and took pride in having a good show :(

joanna71985
12-14-2012, 08:58 PM
And people will make excuses for this behavior. Its inexcusable.

Um...what is? Managers jump into positions all the time. There is nothing wrong with that

taleasoldastime
12-15-2012, 12:29 AM
If they just replaced that stupid American Idol Experience with something of substance then Hollywood Studios would be substantially better.

A Big Kid
12-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Um...what is? Managers jump into positions all the time. There is nothing wrong with that

What?! This isnt a grocery store check out line. They are called "castmembers" for a reason; because they are actors on stage. As such, its no different than a manager in street clothes taking the place of an actor on a stage production.

Oh, and you proved my point.

disneymom2000
12-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Was in DHS on Dec 9th and the crowds were very high. I usually go at this time due to a lower crowd right before the Christmas breaks at school but I was in shock. There were long lines and sometimes wall to wall people. I didn't see any castmembers lazying around but people were grumpy because it was really humid and crowds everywhere. The ToT went out on one side so the wait time got up to around 80 min or so. Other than that we pretty much saw everything in the parks and had a great time at 50's PrimeTime for dinner.

joanna71985
12-15-2012, 07:54 PM
What?! This isnt a grocery store check out line. They are called "castmembers" for a reason; because they are actors on stage. As such, its no different than a manager in street clothes taking the place of an actor on a stage production.

Oh, and you proved my point.

Stuff happens. A location could be short staffed for many reasons- call outs, people leaving because of feeling sick, meetings to go to, busier then expected, ect. Managers are trained, so there is no reason why they can't jump in to help out. I've worked at Disney for over 7 years, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Sorry you feel differently

A Big Kid
12-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Stuff happens. A location could be short staffed for many reasons- call outs, people leaving because of feeling sick, meetings to go to, busier then expected, ect. Managers are trained, so there is no reason why they can't jump in to help out. I've worked at Disney for over 7 years, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Sorry you feel differently

Stop making excuses for Disney. With the exhorbitant $$ they charge for admission, it should never happen. Period.

This isn't Six Flags, or Dollywood.

tiggerbuddy
12-16-2012, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't cry if they tore it down and started completely over..My least fav park.

joanna71985
12-16-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm not making excuses. And last time I checked, people are human (and not robots). So stuff will happen.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-16-2012, 08:02 PM
We were there from 12/1 to 12/8 and I have to say that the only issue I had with HS was trying to find the entrance to American Idol. We were sent over to the side by Star Tours, we were sent around back then we were sent back around to the front. It was exactly where I thought it was but since there wasn't anyone in line we thought it was the wrong place. And the CMs sending us all over the place actually worked AT American Idol!!
Other than that, it was a nice time.

Tearin_it_up
12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
After seeing the Hobbit, I wish so much that they would buy the rights for a Lord of the Rings attraction. I know that wouldn't help with the random identity of the part though

azcavalier
12-19-2012, 11:08 AM

Stop making excuses for Disney. With the exorbitant $$ they charge for admission, it should never happen. Period.

What should never happen? People should never be sick? You think that money will fix that? Or, do you think that Disney should overstaff, and just have people waiting in the wings if someone else is sick or can't work for some reason? Back-up Cast Members whose sole purpose is to be on-call in case a regular goes down?

Are you serious? There is absolutely *nothing* wrong with a manager stepping in from time to time as needed.

azcavalier
12-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Regarding the GMR, i've found it to be hit or miss over the years. We've had a lot of great CMs work that ride, including when we went on it a month ago. A bubbly, blonde young lady who did a great job. She had good timing, enthusiasm, etc. My only complaint was with the microphone that the gangster was using. We were sitting right behind the driver, and I still had a hard time hearing some of his comments.

DonaldDuckUSA
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't think the poster was upset that a manager stepped in. I think his/her frustration was more that he was not in costume.

The problem with HS is not the cast members. It's a larger issue of an unorganized theme park that lacks vision. We've said this time and time again. The backlot tour needs a serious overhaul. And by overall, I mean we need a new ride back there.

The problem is that its too hard/expensive to constantly keep up with new movie trends and movie markets. By the time Disney would have planned and built a new attraction around a movie (or movie market), the movie is no longer fresh. I get the sense that a lot of attractions are out of touch. American Idol was awesome when the show first started, but I don't know if its as popular as what it used to be.

We've talked about GMR a lot here and my feelings are that it does need adjustments. The script needs to be updated. For heaven's sake that ride offers nothing new. I understand that not everyone has gone since childhood and memorized the script, but it has not changed one bit in 20 years. To be frank, I think frequent Disney-goers are bored there.

But what do I know? Those are just my feelings about the place.

I hope its the next major overhaul park and some better counter service dining. I still love it even though.

azcavalier
12-19-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think the poster was upset that a manager stepped in. I think his/her frustration was more that he was not in costume.

Fair enough. I withdraw my criticism.

The problem with HS is not the cast members. It's a larger issue of an unorganized theme park that lacks vision. We've said this time and time again. The backlot tour needs a serious overhaul. And by overall, I mean we need a new ride back there.

Isn't this happening? Isn't the new Cars Land (or whatever they're going to call it) going to use the space of both the Backlot Tour and LMA? That's my understanding. I suppose that there has been no official announcement yet, but that's all the rumor...

We've talked about GMR a lot here and my feelings are that it does need adjustments. The script needs to be updated. For heaven's sake that ride offers nothing new. I understand that not everyone has gone since childhood and memorized the script, but it has not changed one bit in 20 years. To be frank, I think frequent Disney-goers are bored there.

I agree. The only thing that they've updated is the movie montage at the closing scene. There have been a LOT of great movies in the past 20 years that they could use.

I hope its the next major overhaul park and some better counter service dining. I still love it even though.

Worst CS dining in WDW. Not super impressed with the TS dining either, come to think of it....

KevMcNJ
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM

My wife and I are in our mid-40s Last time we went to WDW we were in line at another ride and struck up a conversation with a very nice young couple. They were in their mid 20s. We mentioned GMR and the guy said they didnt like it because they didnt know who any of the actors were and recognized just one or two of the movies.

Pretty hard to enjoy a nostalgic ride centered around old movies if youve never seen any of the moives and youve never heard of the actors

Its one of the rides I feel I need to ride no matter what but Im a fossil. The movies shown are a total mystery to anyone born after 1980. And people born in 1980 are now taking THEIR kids to WDW. So why would they even bother with GMR unless its a steamy July day and they want to sit in the AC for 15 minutes

Ive also heard that many of the younger people today wont even take a peek at a movie if its in B/W so alot of them really would have no interest in some of the films they highlight

azcavalier
12-20-2012, 09:12 AM
My wife and I are in our mid-40s Last time we went to WDW we were in line at another ride and struck up a conversation with a very nice young couple. They were in their mid 20s. We mentioned GMR and the guy said they didnt like it because they didnt know who any of the actors were and recognized just one or two of the movies.

Pretty hard to enjoy a nostalgic ride centered around old movies if youve never seen any of the moives and youve never heard of the actors

Its one of the rides I feel I need to ride no matter what but Im a fossil. The movies shown are a total mystery to anyone born after 1980. And people born in 1980 are now taking THEIR kids to WDW. So why would they even bother with GMR unless its a steamy July day and they want to sit in the AC for 15 minutes

Ive also heard that many of the younger people today wont even take a peek at a movie if its in B/W so alot of them really would have no interest in some of the films they highlight

This is partially true. I think it depends on parents, and how they've raised their kids. My DW and I are 40, and we have three children, ages 15, 13, and 7. They know about (but haven't seen) Alien(s). They are also familiar with Clint Eastwood and John Wayne (they've seen all or part of The Alamo and The Searchers). They certainly know, and have seen all of the Raiders of the Lost Ark movies, and they know all about The Wizard of Oz.

We love to watch the movie montage at the end and point out the actors and what movies they are showing clips of. When we see an actor doing a scene from a movie they haven't seen (such as Robin Williams in "Good Morning Vietnam", we point out that they know him as the Genie in Aladdin).

Maybe it's us. I know that movies aren't important in the grand scheme of things. But we feel that there are certain things that every child should learn...cultural education...that they need to be well rounded. Music and TV/Movies is part of that. So, we regularly have "movie parties" with our kids where we'll break out a classic movie and have a picnic-type spread on the floor. Our kids are well-read, and well-watched. And so, they love the Great Movie Ride.

princessgirls
12-20-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree that the studios really doesn't have much of a direction, however...we spent more time in the studios than in the past.

I agree the TS dining leaves a lot to be desired, but our CS lunches were really good.

Top reason I enjoy the studios... It's a smaller park. You can get around quickly.

The Christmas decorations were in full swing when we were there the week of Thanksgiving.

My girls LOVE RNR and TOT. Star Tours and Toy Story Mania are fun! Where else are you going to light saber with Darth Vader??? The Osbourne Lights are amazing. All in all, it's not so bad. I wouldn't just go there to go for the day, my top park is and will always be The Magic Kingdom!
Julie:mickey:

Stu29573
12-20-2012, 11:21 AM
DHS needs focus. Its been said a million times and everyone agrees...except apparently Disney management. It started as a working studio....great idea, except that they then gutted it and tried to pass it off as a respresentation of a working studeo...passable idea, except that their hearts were clearly not into it, so they seemingly gave up on even pretending.

What's left is a park full of great architechture, and conflicting themes and ideas. Are we in the present? Are we in the 30's? Are we on a movie set? Is it supposed to be real? Are we celebrating movies? or music? or TV? or Braodway? Or all of the above? Are we geared toward teens? Or toddlers? Certaily not the whole family.... What Is The Point?????

I think Disney should do a CA on the park and start over. Give us a unified vision and theme, because what we have now is frankly embarrassing...

Stu29573
12-20-2012, 11:41 AM
By the way, I dont agree that TGMR needs a huge referb. Maybe a few newer movies in the film reels, but the whole point was to celebrate classic movies, not be up to date with new releases. Maybe they need more explanation as to why these movies are included? Just a thought...

Granny Jill A
12-20-2012, 01:57 PM
DHS needs focus. Its been said a million times and everyone agrees...except apparently Disney management. It started as a working studio....great idea, except that they then gutted it and tried to pass it off as a respresentation of a working studeo...passable idea, except that their hearts were clearly not into it, so they seemingly gave up on even pretending.

What's left is a park full of great architechture, and conflicting themes and ideas. Are we in the present? Are we in the 30's? Are we on a movie set? Is it supposed to be real? Are we celebrating movies? or music? or TV? or Braodway? Or all of the above? Are we geared toward teens? Or toddlers? Certaily not the whole family.... What Is The Point?????

I think Disney should do a CA on the park and start over. Give us a unified vision and theme, because what we have now is frankly embarrassing...

Went down in November and didn't even bother with this park, although I LOVE Toy Story Mania and ToT.

Don't care at all for GMR because you don't always get a good cast member/actor.... Also don't care that it's so LOUD. I'm old but I can hear just fine, thanks. If you sit in the back of the train, you miss a lot of the action anyway.
One of many attractions that needs a revamp.
I look forward to someone waking up and realizing they need to do something.

KevMcNJ
12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
By the way, I dont agree that TGMR needs a huge referb. Maybe a few newer movies in the film reels, but the whole point was to celebrate classic movies, not be up to date with new releases. Maybe they need more explanation as to why these movies are included? Just a thought...

The last new movie I saw was "Valkyrie" :blush:

I totally agree that new movies dont belong in there but theres 20 years of truly classic movies that are omitted.

Field of Dreams hadnt been released yet when GMR opened. That sort of shows where the jumping off point on omitted movies is.

Melanie
12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
I understand that not everyone has gone since childhood and memorized the script, but it has not changed one bit in 20 years.

Yes, EVERY CMs favorite movie genre is the horror film. ;) Actually, I crack up every time we ride and I hear them say that. Must be a prerequisite for the job. haha

When we moved to Florida and I started to go to the parks frequently, DHS quickly became my least favorite park. Thing is, there are incredible highs for me (TSM, One Man's Dream, Animation Academy, Prime Time, Star Tours) and great highs for the masses as well (TOT, RnRC), but there are big lows as well (Backlot, Sounds Dangerous, Lights Motors, most CS restaurants, waste of space Streets of America, etc). I enjoy a lot of the other attractions, but like so many have said before me, there seems to be no cohesiveness.

I do hope this park is the next for a lot of TLC.

DizneyFreak2002
12-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Isn't this happening? Isn't the new Cars Land (or whatever they're going to call it) going to use the space of both the Backlot Tour and LMA? That's my understanding. I suppose that there has been no official announcement yet, but that's all the rumor...

Personally, I think Cars Land only continues the no cohesive theme of DHS... The only thing it does is bring in an E-Ticket that the park sorely needs... Plus, don't hold your breath for Cars Land or any announcement.. Nothing is green lit and plans are still in disarray...

Could Cars Land (or the value engineered version) fit into DHS? Sure... But since Disney has no clue what DHS is supposed to be, the version of Cars Land (if it gets green lit) will just add to the lack of vision for the park...

MouseHouser
12-25-2012, 11:01 AM
We were there last week and enjoyed it. But my one complaint is with Lights Motors. The CMs raced thru their lines. Sounded like auctioneers. We could barely understand a word. How can Disney put so much effort into turning out an incredible show and then fall short in this make or break area? Disappointing.

But I hasten to add, other than this, DHS was a big hit with the family.

tiggerbuddy
03-03-2013, 09:21 PM
I agree !!!:mickey:

I think Disney should do a CA on the park and start over.

The Horned King
03-06-2013, 07:13 AM
The studios is a bit of an oddball if I am honest. These days it is far too similar to the studios in Paris. A bizarre collection of rides put together loosely under the banner of a studio.

One thing I have heard quite a few people say during my trips there is that the park is very difficult to navigate for first timers, as it has no central point to help you with orientation like the 2 kingdoms, (or even Epcot for that matter as you can see spaceship earth from just about everywhere!)

It would be a good start if they put it back as a working studio. It's not like Disney doesn't have a big enough catalogue of upcoming films or anything.....

Another possible attraction to add if they do add Cars Land. How about a proper animatronics show where the one man's dream exhibit is? Think great moments with Mr Lincoln but with a Walt Disney animatronic?

ransam
03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
just got back w/ my gf and our son. they had never been to HS. Both said it was by far their favorite park.

BuffaloJason
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
We also skipped the studios on my most recent trip last month, mostly because I don't think there's much there that would appeal to my daughters (1 and 4). Just by dumb luck, the Disney Jr. stage show (which they would love) has been closed during our last two trips in 2013 and 2011. I do still enjoy this park in general though. ToT and RnRC are the two best Disney "thrill rides" anywhere, IMO. While I agree that it could use a refresh, GMR is still a classic must do in my book. I agree 100% though with what a lot of people have said about the idea that the park lost a lot of its theme when it stopped being a real working studio. Maybe its time to do away with the backlot tour and just stop pretending to be something you are not.

Another possible attraction to add if they do add Cars Land. How about a proper animatronics show where the one man's dream exhibit is? Think great moments with Mr Lincoln but with a Walt Disney animatronic?

I'd just like to say that, while I find it very hard to picture Disney doing this, I think a Walt Disney animatronic would be really cool :mickey:

The Horned King
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
I'd just like to say that, while I find it very hard to picture Disney doing this, I think a Walt Disney animatronic would be really cool :mickey:

Who knows, it's nice to see that they are spending money on animatronics again. Was a grey area for a while where projection and 3d was the new craze, Always have been a fan of practical effects whether it is fire or animatronics.

I still stand by it would be awesome if they recreated some of the original videos of Walt explaining about project X, but in animatronic form. Especially with the advancements that have been made now. Hell, I can dream can't I! That's why we all go to Disney after all!