PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablet parental controls

magicofdisney
12-06-2012, 05:14 PM
We're primarily an iDevice family. However, I got an Android tablet for my 12yo daughter on Black Friday. At least with my kids' iPods and iPads I can turn off Safari and prevent other app usage. This Android tablet doesn't seem to be as user friendly.

Does anyone have advice to offer for parental control apps? I'm researching Google Play but the options are so varied I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. I essentially want browser limitations. Can anyone offer a suggestion? One common theme I'm running into is that many apps require the parent to set it before handing the device over to the child. I want something I can set and then review periodically. This tablet will be in her possession and I don't want her to need to bring it to me every time she turns it on.

DizneyRox
12-06-2012, 06:57 PM
For Internet, I've been toying around with OpenDNS. I've to my house router setup and everyone is filtered to my restrictions. Seems o be a good first line of defense...

As far as the Android, yeah, they aren't as friendly as the iDevices. I'm sure there's something, however with all the different versions and devices, it's a crapshoot finding something that works very often. That's why I suggested setting up restrictions elsewhere...

kakn7294
12-07-2012, 12:40 AM
I bought an Android-based tablet for my nephew for Christmas. I've taken it out of the box to play with it and set it up with the games he likes. I'm not thrilled with it's serious limitations but since it's only $80 and for a 9 yo boy so as long as he can play Angry Birds, he'll be fine with it. I haven't found any parental control settings on it though. I'm going to suggest to my sister to keep him off of the internet by just not giving him the password to the wi-fi.

1DisneyNut
12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
It doesn't really matter what you use, parental controls are easily bypassed in a matter of minutes. The parental control on iPad is a joke, so don't take too much comfort in it. Most teenagers can bypass them faster than you can figure out how to set them up.

You can do DNS filtering as DizneyRox suggested. It will prevent viewing of a lot of sites, not all of them but only until they figure out that DNS filtering is being used and then it takes like two minutes to side step.

I'm not saying you shouldn't set them up, you should. I'm just saying that for any intelligent teenager they are a joke. You will prevent most of the accidentals but if they want to see it, all you are going to do is slow them down for just a few minutes on the first attempt. Once they figure out how to bypass it, it might as well not be there. The point of this post is to let you know that you cannot depend upon these measures to prevent teenagers from viewing this type of content. If they are determined to look at it they will. Your best bet is to talk to them about why you do not approve of this type of material. At least they will then be extra cautious in ensuring you don't realize they are looking at it and you can have your piece of mind. lol

BrerGnat
12-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I have to agree with 1DisneyNut.

She's 12, not 5. She isn't dumb. Parental controls really are designed for LITTLE kids who are not smart enough or inclined to try to circumvent them.

We have parental controls set up on our home computer, but only because they have their own profile so we can do so. We have NO parental controls set up on the iPod touch, Galaxy Tablet, or any of the other mobile devices we let them play with. Our boys are 6 and 8. What we do is monitor their use while they are playing, and we look at their browser histories, etc.

And, to be honest, you can't shield kids from unsavory internet content forever. A 12 year old is old enough to know and understand what you expect them to use the tablet for, and what you do NOT expect them to use it for. A simple "I can keep track of what you are doing on that tablet without your knowledge" should be enough to discourage any internet activity you don't want your child to engage in (even if it's a fib...they won't know.) The best deterrent is having them believe you can access everything they access.

Mickey'sGirl
12-08-2012, 11:20 AM
We don't put any restrictions on the internet. There have been very clear discussions of what we find acceptable and unacceptable, and we periodically have discussions with our 14 year old about what he's doing looking at etc (he has a smartphone and a laptop). He also willingly offers his stuff to either my husband or I to look at his history if we want to. My younger son only has access using our devices, and that is done whilst he is with us (he is 8). Same rules apply. It has been very successful for us. The kids don't feel threatened or that we do not trust them, and we are letting them be responsible for their own actions. They both know that if they break the rules, they lose access. They play by the rules, and life is groovy.

My advice is to teach your daughter the rules, and trust her. Not all kids are looking for trouble on the internet.

Marlin
03-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I can advise you NetNanny, PCWebControl or WebWatcher. All of them work fine on Android.

magicofdisney
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
I wasn't looking for a lecture, I was looking for app suggestions. :unsure: I appreciate those that gave info I was seeking.