PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon...

Main Street Jim
12-05-2012, 11:52 PM
...has GOT TO BE one of the best "special effects" EVER. Just when I thought they couldn't do anything (much) else, they come up with this thing :)

Seen the video, or rather, *several* videos, of this thing in testing flights....and it's *awesome*. I wish I was still living down there and could've seen it in person! :)

MrPeetrie
12-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Main Street Jim, sorry for my ignorance, but what are you talking about? You have piqued my interest.

BrerGnat
12-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Main Street Jim, sorry for my ignorance, but what are you talking about? You have piqued my interest.

Disney unleashed, perhaps, the best animatronic EVER last night. It is a Dragon that is capable of full airborne flight. It has flapping wings, an articulating head and limbs, and it even breathes FIRE! It was spotted flying high above the Magic Kingdom during Disney's Media Event for New Fantasyland.

There are several videos circulating online of this creature.

HERE (http://youtu.be/jneNrBYNS10) is Intercot's own video.

And HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrZXXM4J9Ps) is Disney's Official Video.

Enjoy!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-06-2012, 08:34 AM
That is awesome

disney obsessed
12-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Do you think it will become part of a daily event? That would be great.

MrPeetrie
12-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Wow!

Main Street Jim, thanks.

TheVBs
12-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Looks so cool! Wish we'd been able to see it in person.

Auntie B
12-06-2012, 09:38 AM
WOWSER! That was amazing!

kg00616
12-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Wow, my son would Fa-Reak if he got to see that!

TiggeRia
12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
That is awesome!!!

Strmchsr
12-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Do you think it will become part of a daily event? That would be great.

According to Disney it was a one night only thing. It's not that they haven't left open the door for future uses, but at the moment it is not planned to be a regular thing, unfortunately. Maybe if enough fans cry out for it then it will happen. I sure would love to see it in person, too.

iluvdumbo
12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
That is seriously amazing!! Hopefully it will be a usual occurrence!!

NewDVCowner
12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
My feeling is that they put a lot of money into that thing. It's not going to sit gathering dust. I'd love to see them incorporate the technology into future things. Can you imagine something like that in Fantasimic??

IwannabeinNarnia
12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
WOW! THAT would have been something to have seen in person!

Christine
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Alongfortheride and I were with John at the event last night and I can tell you it was an absolutely amazing thing to see!

We had just finished dinner, looked up and holy moly! A dragon is flying across she sky! :rub: :jaw:

I had goosebumps! I couldn't find words! It was scary, majestic, gorgeous, and just awe inspiring!!!
:thumbsup: Bravo, Disney! :notworth:

jillluvsdisney
12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Saw it on Twitter. That was really cool!!

SBETigg
12-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Wow, too cool! Thanks for sharing the videos. I almost missed that.

Jim&AngieMarriner
12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
One comment on the official video says that this is a Powered Parachute. With animatronic aded ons of course.

I dont think those things have a large gas tank so with the added weight, it probably cant fly for a long time. Also there might be issues with the FAA as far as flying over the park is concerned. I am simply guessing.

It would certainly be an amazing part of a night time show. Wish i could have seen it.

emerzmom
12-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Wow!!!!!! That is REALLY cool! I hope I get to see it when I am there in March!
:tink:
Julie

DizneyFreak2002
12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
My feeling is that they put a lot of money into that thing. It's not going to sit gathering dust. I'd love to see them incorporate the technology into future things. Can you imagine something like that in Fantasimic??

Lucky says Hi... Remember him? OR her? Well, it is sitting inside a shed collecting dust... This will wind up in the same shed sadly...

Dulcee
12-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Lucky says Hi... Remember him? OR her? Well, it is sitting inside a shed collecting dust... This will wind up in the same shed sadly...

Was that the dinosaur that pulled around the cart in AK? He was cool.

True though, he didn't last long.

DizneyFreak2002
12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Was that the dinosaur that pulled around the cart in AK? He was cool.

True though, he didn't last long.

Yep, he was the next phase of AA's... the Living Character program... They had the Muppets too.. I think Becker and Honeydew lab guy (forgive me for forgetting his name LOL)... They were supposedly working on Living Character AA's for Electric Mayhem too (the rock band in The Muppets)...

SBETigg
12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Yep, he was the next phase of AA's... the Living Character program... They had the Muppets too.. I think Becker and Honeydew lab guy (forgive me for forgetting his name LOL)... They were supposedly working on Living Character AA's for Electric Mayhem too (the rock band in The Muppets)...

I did get to see the Muppet characters. They were so fun and also very cool. I would love to see more of this kind of thing.

DizneyFreak2002
12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I did get to see the Muppet characters. They were so fun and also very cool. I would love to see more of this kind of thing.

Me too... I never saw Lucky or the Muppet one but from the videos I watched they seemed like cool ideas...

The dragon is a cool idea too, although they need to work on the fire breaking thing... That effect didn't really work from the looks of it... Just too bad this was a one time thing and that's it... So, enjoy the videos... :)

darthmacho
12-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Okay, I can't believe what I just saw, and that no one here has posed the question of how they did that.

I can't believe that it was flying on it's own. It seemed to defy the laws of physics. Was it being towed or hanging from a helicopter or something?

Actually, it doesn't matter too much, because it was awesome either way. I imagine it was an expensive stunt, but if they could pull it off, why can't they fix the yeti?

A Big Kid
12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Okay, I can't believe what I just saw, and that no one here has posed the question of how they did that.

I can't believe that it was flying on it's own. It seemed to defy the laws of physics. Was it being towed or hanging from a helicopter or something?

Actually, it doesn't matter too much, because it was awesome either way. I imagine it was an expensive stunt, but if they could pull it off, why can't they fix the yeti? It is under a parasail (google it to see what a parasail is). Some videos on youtube the canopy of the parasail is quite evident.

darthmacho
12-06-2012, 02:55 PM
It is under a parasail (google it to see what a parasail is). Some videos on youtube the canopy of the parasail is quite evident.

Okay, that's still pretty awesome, and makes much more sense. They must have gotten the design from Leonardo Da Vinci's portfolio! :D

Again, they can do this, but can't get the yeti to work?

A Big Kid
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Okay, that's still pretty awesome, and makes much more sense. They must have gotten the design from Leonardo Da Vinci's portfolio! :D

Again, they can do this, but can't get the yeti to work? the yeti....thats funny!

Looking at at again, you can see the wheels at the dragons knees and chest. Still cool!

Aurora
12-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Jealous of those who were there to see it, but I don't mind it being a one-time moment. That's part of what makes it special.

I also wouldn't mind if they kept it around and flew it every once in awhile. :D

Main Street Jim
12-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Probably my favorite video of this thing is the one where someone was taking video of their kid's softball game, and this thing just comes flying over (it was down in Kissimmee somewheres, I think, on a test flight).

Yes...it's a "parasail" designed to be hidden by the night sky :) Apparently, they've been working on the drago for something like two years; I *just* found about it last week :thumbsup:

A Big Kid
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Probably my favorite video of this thing is the one where someone was taking video of their kid's softball game, and thiœs thing just comes flying over (it was down in Kissimmee somewheres, I think, on a test flight).

Yes...it's a "parasail" designed to be hidden by the night sky :) Apparently, they've been working on the drago for something like two years; I *just* found about it last week :thumbsup:
I havent seen that one! You got any keywords to search it out on youtube?

Main Street Jim
12-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I havent seen that one! You got any keywords to search it out on youtube?

Not sure if it's on YouTube, but, here it is:

http://disneydragons.tumblr.com/page/2

Scroll down to "Nov 30th".

Septbride2002
12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
That video is great! Can you imagine? It must have felt like something in a movie.

MickeysBestPal
12-07-2012, 06:01 AM
Probably my favorite video of this thing is the one where someone was taking video of their kid's softball game, and this thing just comes flying over (it was down in Kissimmee somewheres, I think, on a test flight).

"Holy cr**!! What was *THAT*...?!?!" LOLOL

Sorry to report that most of those videos on tumblr.com are manufactured "home video" by Disney (with CGI effects) in an attempt to gin up interest in the "dragon."

The one that really frosts me is this (http://disneydragons.tumblr.com/post/37139373225/magic-kingdom-sighting-well-it-seems-everyone-has) one.
In it, they show a "silhouette" against the castle (with no ultralight support) and then, make like the dragon just happens to be doing a vertical near-miss on this kid's resort balcony (at about 29 sec. deep.)

I'm all for building up the event, but downright lying about it is not up to Disney standards.

Melanie
12-07-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm all for building up the event, but downright lying about it is not up to Disney standards.

Ah, now I get what all the talk is about on Twitter. I've seen a lot of folks with the same feelings you have, and I just hadn't cared enough to investigate. Now I understand, and have to say, I agree with you.

BigRedDad
12-07-2012, 07:50 AM
I hope it is not a 1-time thing. I would love to see it. I can imagine that it can only be brought out on specific nights when the wind/weather cooperate.

BrerGnat
12-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Sorry to report that most of those videos on tumblr.com are manufactured "home video" by Disney (with CGI effects) in an attempt to gin up interest in the "dragon."

The one that really frosts me is this (http://disneydragons.tumblr.com/post/37139373225/magic-kingdom-sighting-well-it-seems-everyone-has) one.
In it, they show a "silhouette" against the castle (with no ultralight support) and then, make like the dragon just happens to be doing a vertical near-miss on this kid's resort balcony (at about 29 sec. deep.)

I almost got tricked by that second video too. However, the instant the "near miss" happened, it clicked in my mind that this was a promotional viral video, and NOT a home video.

I'm not sure I'd call this lying. It seems to be the new way that companies are advertising for things these days. You Tube has opened the door to this type of thing, and Disney is taking advantage of it.

The more you see of these types of viral video campaigns, the easier they are to spot.

If people see them and think they're real...well...that's kinda the point.

Aurora
12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
The softball video looked more fake to me than the castle one. Too many quick cuts and immediate reactions by people, a la Blair Witch Project.

The castle video looked more real, especially the kid's face. And yes, it did bother me that it was a manufactured video designed to look like a real home video, although I can't really pinpoint why.

EeyoresBestFriend
12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
The dragon sounds pretty darn cool.

But what did it have to do with? I don't recall a dragon being associated with any of the new additions to FantasyLand. Or is it just part of the "fantasy"?

JabberJaws
12-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Very cool effect and viral campaign for it as well. Actually, my wife's old boss at WDW is Gary from the viral videos haha.

Apparently it was only a 1-time occurrence there. I think there are just way too many logistical and safety issues with flying something like that on a regular basis, particularly considering the unpredictability of the Central Florida weather. Actually, Jim Hill posted a nice article a few weeks ago explaining why it was probably only going to be a 1-time thing, based on some safety considerations from past uses of similar technology by Disney. Sorry, don't have a link.

Still, a VERY cool effect and a neat way to promote the new Fantasyland.

A Big Kid
12-08-2012, 10:13 AM
If you want to see a daytime picture of the dragon, google images "Disney flying dragon."

It peels away a lot of the magic.

MickeysBestPal
12-08-2012, 10:55 AM
If you want to see a daytime picture of the dragon, google images "Disney flying dragon."

It peels away a lot of the magic.

So does seeing obviously-faked "viral" videos.

What's worse is, I already KNOW that the "dragon" is just technology (and not a "real" dragon.)

What makes me sad is seeing that Disney will now stoop to the level of lesser promoters and manufacture intentionally deceptive "home videos" to hype something that is, quite frankly, magical ENOUGH, per se, just as it actually exists.

"Over-selling" to an unsuspecting and trusting public is in the realm of weekend INFOMERCIALS for ersatz body-building gear and pseudo diet supplements.
The Photoshopped "before and after" photos, scripted testimonials, and feigned "excitement" of "real people" in contrived videos used to be shunned by the Disney Company.

Looks like we're over that hump, now.

Caveat Emptor!
(And, every man for himself!)

DizneyFreak2002
12-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Let us not forget the biggest fail of this was: a one month viral campaign aimed at the general public/Disney fans for a one time showing of this dragon to.... media.

Yes, in my opinion, Marketing and P/R failed big time...

Melanie
12-08-2012, 11:56 AM
feigned "excitement" of "real people" in contrived videos used to be shunned by the Disney Company.

Uh, the Soarin' and Tower of Terror promo video and print ads come to mind here. Actually, it seems something Disney has been doing for awhile. :shrug:

Aurora
12-08-2012, 01:33 PM
So does seeing obviously-faked "viral" videos.

What's worse is, I already KNOW that the "dragon" is just technology (and not a "real" dragon.)

What makes me sad is seeing that Disney will now stoop to the level of lesser promoters and manufacture intentionally deceptive "home videos" to hype something that is, quite frankly, magical ENOUGH, per se, just as it actually exists.

"Over-selling" to an unsuspecting and trusting public is in the realm of weekend INFOMERCIALS for ersatz body-building gear and pseudo diet supplements.
The Photoshopped "before and after" photos, scripted testimonials, and feigned "excitement" of "real people" in contrived videos used to be shunned by the Disney Company.

Looks like we're over that hump, now.

Caveat Emptor!
(And, every man for himself!)

Let us not forget the biggest fail of this was: a one month viral campaign aimed at the general public/Disney fans for a one time showing of this dragon to.... media.

Yes, in my opinion, Marketing and P/R failed big time...

I don't actually mind the "fake" home videos and photoshopped pics for a marketing campaign. I also don't mind that the dragon was a one-time-only show. But I think DisneyFreak has a point here.

The targeted audience for the marketing promos was the general public. The actual audience for the unveiling was not -- it was media who attended the press/web event, who then in turn hyped up a beautiful, amazing effect that the general public will never get to see. While they incorporated the psychology of building excitement for the New Fantasyland, there is some logic missing here.

DisneyFreak, I agree with you this time. :D

DizneyFreak2002
12-08-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't actually mind the "fake" home videos and photoshopped pics for a marketing campaign. I also don't mind that the dragon was a one-time-only show. But I think DisneyFreak has a point here.

The targeted audience for the marketing promos was the general public. The actual audience for the unveiling was not -- it was media who attended the press/web event, who then in turn hyped up a beautiful, amazing effect that the general public will never get to see. While they incorporated the psychology of building excitement for the New Fantasyland, there is some logic missing here.

DisneyFreak, I agree with you this time. :D

It takes a while but I grow on people... Sooner or later people start seeing and understanding my points... LOL :)

Truth is, I don't mind it being a one time use thing for the media... I truly have no issue with that what so ever... It is hype, I get it... But, doing the viral campaign aimed at the general public, and Disney fans in particular (cause lets face it, how much of the general public will pay attention to a Disney Dragon tumblr account) for a one time use thing just reeks of failure...

I hope complaints file into the people with the plaid vests at Guest Services, parents kicking up a storm about how their child was expecting to see a flying dragon and Disney let them down... The complaints online are massive and growing...

I just wonder if any of this would ever sink into the thick skulls in Orlando management... Ahhh the shake up cannot come fast enough...

stephicakes
12-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Well maybe they can use the dragon again at the opening of “Avatarland” in AK?? :stir:

Heck… isn’t there a silhouette of a dragon on the AK “Welcome” sign that tells you to “Have a Wild Time”?? (*stirs pot again and smiles sweetly*) :secret:

Just sayin'... :D

BrerGnat
12-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I hope complaints file into the people with the plaid vests at Guest Services, parents kicking up a storm about how their child was expecting to see a flying dragon and Disney let them down... The complaints online are massive and growing...

You HOPE this happens? :confused:

Geez...I would find that to be incredibly whiny and entitled behavior, at best.

A Big Kid
12-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Patronizing Part 2

DizneyFreak2002
12-09-2012, 11:15 AM

The only way things get through the thick skulls of the mis-management team in WDW is by complaints... Maybe someone will finally wake up out of their coma and realize they cannot treat tourists like idiots anymore...

So yes, I hope there are tons of complaints about this...

waymickey
12-09-2012, 09:43 PM
I am so confused. :confused: So the videos showing people pointing at this dragon flying over Disney was just a media event? No guests got to see this? Really? :(:mad:

MickeysBestPal
12-10-2012, 12:18 AM
I am so confused. :confused: So the videos showing people pointing at this dragon flying over Disney was just a media event? No guests got to see this? Really? :(:mad:

Which videos?

There were many FAKED videos (made by Disney) of guests pointing up in the sky at a "dragon."

In those videos, there was no dragon in the sky at all.
The shots were staged, the people were just acting for the camera, with a computer-generated dragon image added in the edit studio.

Of the videos the night of Dec. 5, the dragon (utra-light aircraft hybrid) was flying overhead, and those guests in the Magic Kingdom were press people.

waymickey
12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Which videos?

There were many FAKED videos (made by Disney) of guests pointing up in the sky at a "dragon."

In those videos, there was no dragon in the sky at all.
The shots were staged, the people were just acting for the camera, with a computer-generated dragon image added in the edit studio.

Of the videos the night of Dec. 5, the dragon (utra-light aircraft hybrid) was flying overhead, and those guests in the Magic Kingdom were press people.

So are there any real videos with real GUESTS watching the dragon fly or is it all just for the press? :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
So are there any real videos with real GUESTS watching the dragon fly or is it all just for the press? :confused:

Nope... No guests got to see or will get to see this dragon... The only ones who saw it were the ones invited to the press event, that's it... I believe John posted a video he took (or someone from Intercot took) who was there for the event... That video isn't staged... That is what the invited media saw... You, as a regular guest, will not see this during your next trip, even though they did a month long viral campaign targeted to the general public (you, me and everyone NOT media invited guests), letting you think a flying dragon would make appearances in the sky over Fantasyland...

Want to try to get that to change? When there complain to the plaids in Guest Services, write letters to management... And when those fall on deaf ears, complain some more!!!!!

Aurora
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Not to :beat:, really, and even though my comments above are still true, I won't complain to Disney. Why? Because I don't care that much. I won't go to the New Fantasyland and think, "This is all really great, but man, that dragon! Those dang media got to see something I will never see!"

I think it was a really cool effect, and I'm not going to obsess over the marketing. Moving on. :)

BrerGnat
12-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Aurora, I totally agree.

The media get to see a LOT of stuff we never see.

Get a job in the media if you feel slighted.

I honestly didn't follow this "viral" campaign. I heard about it, but it just didn't interest me enough to actually visit the webpage or click on the link in the email they sent me about "breaking the spell" or whatever.

Frankly, the entire contrived "backstory" to New Fantasyland is just silly. "The land has always been there..." Really? Okay. No it hasn't. It was built there in the late 60's, after Walt Disney decided to put it there. Nobody seems bothered to point out that this can also be construed as false advertising.

Nobody cares, though!

PopPhan
12-11-2012, 08:53 AM
OK...I'm reading all these messages bashing Disney for 'proofing out' an idea over MK for the opening of New Fantasyland and I'm thinking....Why would Disney, or any other company for that matter, do something like this without an idea that they would be using the same, or similar, technology/thought/idea somewhere (FL, CA, Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, etc.) in the not too distant future?

How many things were 'tested' at Disneyland and/or Walt Disney World only to show up at other parks later?

Yes, this was a so-called 'onetime event' and the viral 'press' on it was highly misleading, but I'm not ready to call it a massive "fail" just because I will (most probably) never get to see it in person. I never got to see Lucky or Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker in the parks either. Unfortunate for me, but not a "fail" on Disney's part.

How about we all just reign in our ire for a bit on this one? Give Disney an opportunity to evaluate the reaction and see where it goes from here, if anywhere.....

Cinderelley
12-11-2012, 01:55 PM
The "home video" take on things doesn't bother me. That has been Disney's angle for a while. Remember how they had everyone doing videos of surprising their loved ones or the commercials where the parents are in bed and one says they can't sleep? Yes, they are a little different, but it is the same idea of it being centered around a family's experience.

Although I think it would be a huge waste of money to only use the dragon once, it won't make or break my trips if I don't get to see it. What does get me irritated though is the thought that they have made cutbacks in other areas while wasting money on a one-time shot.

MickeysBestPal
12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
The "home video" take on things doesn't bother me. That has been Disney's angle for a while.

1- Remember how they had everyone doing videos of surprising their loved ones or

2- the commercials where the parents are in bed and one says they can't sleep?

1- Those WERE real home videos.

2- Those were obviously studio-made commercials.

No problem with either of those things.