PDA

View Full Version : Counter Service at Hollywood Studios

Tinkerkel
12-05-2012, 01:33 PM
What are your favorite counter service restaurants at Hollywood Studios? We will be there in 11 days!!!

DisnIse
12-05-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll give you my love and not so love....

We've become big fans of the Backlot Express. The food is good - some healthier options are nice. We've never seen it crazy-crowded, even at the holidays and summer. Bathrooms are close; as is a little gift shop in case people are eating at different paces. One time, a cast member chalked in a hopskotch game and had the kids playing while we sat and relaxed for a few minutes.

The counter place over by Indiana Jones is decent --- more traditional park food. There is way more seating than I would have guessed when we walked in, and it's a little secluded so you don't feel like you're missing out on anything if/when crowds of people march past.

I have NOT had good luck at the ABC Commissary. Between trying to find tables and waiting in really really long lines for food, it just has never worked out for us.

I don't remember enough about the outdoor eating area over near Rock N Roll/Tower of Terror; so it mustn't have been terrible.... but I don't remember loving it either.

Backlot Express is my first pick!

magicofdisney
12-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Backlot Express is actually the place next to Indiana Jones. We inevitably end up eating here the most. The reason I prefer it is because of the unlimited drinks. You refill as needed. They also have healthier selections on the menu.

Studio Catering Company is a large, outdoor facility. On hot days, it's miserable to eat here. They run large fans, but I almost never get a seat with a fan blowing my direction. On cold, windy days, it's just as miserable. This restaurant is located next to Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground.

BowTie7
12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Starring Rolls has great sandwiches and (especially if you're on the dining plan) the best counter service desserts in the park. Seating can be limited, I've actually taken food over to the Studio Commissary to find a comfortable and air conditioned place to sit.

FLKatie912
12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
I love ABC Commissary. My vote is there! It's inside :)

Polynesian Dweller
12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Backlot Express is our favorite with top reasons the healthier options and it never feeling crowded. You can choose indoors or outdoors and watch the Jedi training or the parade go by easily from your table.

DisneyDawgette
12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Tried Backlot Express last trip and we loved it! It's big, it's well ventilated, and you get free refills! Fries are pretty delish too!

Also, Starring Rolls is phenomenal! Also had this one last trip for breakfast and it was enjoyed by all! I'm a sweets junkie, so all the pastries and such appealed to my fancies. :)

Good luck! :D

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Starring Rolls is our favorite, gourmet sandwiches and yummy desserts, lots of pastries to choose from

etibbetts
12-06-2012, 12:06 PM
My favorite is Backlot Express. I absolutely loved the buffalo nuggets! The food was great, service great and loved the refillable drink station.

I also ate at Rosie's during my trip last week, that was just ok. I avoid the commissary, as in previous visits it was subpar. On my trip two years ago they gave sour milk to my nephew at Pizza Planet, so we skip that now.

BrerGnat
12-06-2012, 01:10 PM
The best CS options at DHS are the World Showcase CS locations at Epcot.

All kidding aside, the Backlot Express is good, and Pizza Planet is also good, if you are just looking to fill up and not criticize the pizza. There is a time and place for bad pizza, and Pizza Planet is not a bad option if you choose to eat there.

Dopey's Girl
12-06-2012, 03:15 PM

I was just thinking this Natalie!

Backlot isn't bad. But 9 times out of 10, I make sure I'm out of DHS at meal time (Unless it's breakfast, then it's Starring Rolls time) just because the options aren't the best!

bruin1344
12-07-2012, 01:09 PM

All kidding aside, the Backlot Express is good, and Pizza Planet is also good, if you are just looking to fill up and not criticize the pizza. There is a time and place for bad pizza, and Pizza Planet is not a bad option if you choose to eat there.

We actually finish up at DHS around lunch time and walk over to Epcot for lunch at World Showcase or Sunshine Seasons. Epcot CS are the best.

Anyways, another vote for Backlot Express if I had to chose a DHS CS.

barnaby
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I like Starring Rolls, but it has a smallish menu.

Backlot Express had an updated menu when we there in August. Thought it was pretty good.

Granny Jill A
12-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I prefer Backlot Express. Don't care for the Commissary at all, and wish the Studios had more places to sit down and eat without making a reservation.

TinkerbellT421
12-18-2012, 04:53 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth lol