PDA

View Full Version : Areas around Tampa

Jim&AngieMarriner
11-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Hey gang,
I am currently looking at jobs in the Tampa area in preperation to my retirement from the Army this spring. Does anyone one have advice on where or where not to live in the area? I dont mind a 30-45 min commute.

Also any tips on what to make sure (other than A/C) that a house should have that is particular to Florida living?

Thanks

Jim&AngieMarriner
11-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Just noticed I posted this in the wrong spot, could an Admin move this to the Water Cooler please.

Thanks

AgentC
11-29-2012, 04:58 PM
30-45 minutes from Tampa gives you quite a large area to choose from. To the north you can go about as far as where I am southern Hernando county. South as far as Brandenton and east as far as Lakeland.

Do you have any preference? City, suburb, rural? Is it important to be near the beach? Do you have a price range?

If I were to move again I would move closer to Tampa proper but still not be in the city proper because city living isn't my thing.

Carrollwood to the north of Tampa is very nice. A lot of older established communities. Convenient to lots of things but still has a neighborhood feel. Other nice Tampa areas are Town & Country and Westchase.

To the south the Valrico/Brandon area is nice I'm sure Mel can fill you in on that area. :)

I have several friends in the St. Pete area who also love that area. I can find out what they recommend if you like.

If you want to be further out, Pasco County (to the north) has several nice developments. Odessa is also nice.

AgentC
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
As far as what to look for in a house that is particular to FL, I might have to think on it more.

A sprinkler system is normally important in FL if you want green grass. :)

I'd also make sure there is adequate storage space. Houses here don't have basements and most have limited attic space.

A caged in pool is a good feature too.

I'll post again if I think of more.

Hammer
11-30-2012, 09:58 AM
I am originally from the Tampa area and my mother and her side of the family live in Tampa. Cindy has given you some great ideas. Carrollwood would be a great area. I have not been out to Town and Country in a few years since my cousin's husband sold his walk-in clinic there but it is fine, though I like Carrollwood more.

I'm a big fan of living in Tampa proper, as I like the vibe and most of my family lives there. Mom lives in a condo in South Tampa and she loves it. The rest of my family also live in homes in South Tampa and really know of nothing else as they have lived in that area all their lives.

My parents retired to Clearwater (Feather Sound) and they really liked it. It was just a 15 minute drive over the bridge to get to Tampa. My Dad was a fan of a bridge separating him from his in-laws :D ! Only reason my Mom is no longer there is my Dad passed away and she is unable to drive, so she decided it was better for her to live in Tampa nearer to family who can drive her places.

Definitely having a screened in pool area is nice feature. Almost all my family has a screened in pool and patio. You will get a lot of use out of it and the screen helps keep out bugs.