PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland Speedway Question

SugarMagnolia
11-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Is a child taller than 32", but shorter than 54" allowed to ride on your lap and "drive"?

wdwfansince75
11-28-2012, 03:43 PM
I thought about how to answer this...thought the answer, "NO" was obvious.....then, I recalled the numerous times I have seen toddlers riding on the laps of adults, or even older children, on lawnmowers, ATV's, and motorcycles...so my answer is, "NO!"

cer
11-28-2012, 03:56 PM
I think they are allowed to 'drive'. While they are not big enough to reach the pedals, the adult in the car does the gas and the child sits and steers. Not in your lap, but in the driver's seat. So basically the adult in the car is doing the gas pedal from the passenger's seat.

I think the 54 inch requirement is for if they want to operate a vehicle alone. I think the 32' inch requirement is just to get on the ride at all.

If the adult in the car is controlling the stop/start, the only risk is knocking along the rail.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I really think that is what the height restrictions mean and what we have done in the past.

debbymc4
11-28-2012, 05:11 PM
My 4 yo son drives sitting next to me while I control the gas pedal. He loves it. I get whiplash.

mechanic
11-28-2012, 08:00 PM
I thought about how to answer this...thought the answer, "NO" was obvious.....then, I recalled the numerous times I have seen toddlers riding on the laps of adults, or even older children, on lawnmowers, ATV's, and motorcycles...so my answer is, "NO!"

Get a grip. Its a slow vehicle . Controlled by safety minded disney cast members. And yes I do cringe and often speak up whenever I see a small child on a riding mower. A tragedy waiting to happen.

Pirate Granny
11-28-2012, 09:01 PM
They are pretty firm...no lap driving....

Main Street Jim
11-28-2012, 09:10 PM
I think the 54-inch requirement is for if they want to operate a vehicle alone. I think the 32-inch requirement is just to get on the ride at all.

If the adult in the car is controlling the stop/start, the only risk is knocking along the rail.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I really think that is what the height restrictions mean and what we have done in the past.Coming from a former Speedway Cast member: This is correct :)

NO LAP SITTING IS PERMITTED on the Tomorrowland Speedway. :thumbsup:

"Thanks...and have a GREAT race!"

SugarMagnolia
11-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Alright, perhaps I worded that wrong. Can they sit behind the wheel and steer the car while an adult operates the gas? By the way, (I'm sorry if this is a dumb question) where is the gas pedal? On the floor right under the steering wheel like a regular car? Or more centrally located for assistance from a parent?
Thanks

cer
11-29-2012, 04:11 PM
...the adult in the car does the gas and the child sits and steers. Not in your lap, but in the driver's seat. So basically the adult in the car is doing the gas pedal from the passenger's seat.

Your child (over 32 inches) can sit behind the wheel and steer the car, while the co-rider (in your case, parent) (over 54-inches) operates the pedal.

The gas pedal is easily reached from the passenger side. I cannot tell you exactly where it is. And when I used the term driver's 'seat' and passenger's 'seat'... well, it is really one slippery bench, so it is very easy to slide over and operate the pedal. The car will operate like a golf cart- push down to go and raise up to stop but you'll need a little more leg muscle to get it going - it is not the easiest pedal to push.

This is a fun experience for your little one and you. Just get in line early as it is a slow loading ride and by the time you get to the front and board your car, you will know the drill and be an expert. And if you are still not sure, ask a cast member, they are there to help.

It is gonna be GREAT!!! :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
11-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Alright, perhaps I worded that wrong. Can they sit behind the wheel and steer the car while an adult operates the gas?

By all means...yes :)

By the way, (I'm sorry if this is a dumb question) where is the gas pedal? On the floor right under the steering wheel like a regular car? Or more centrally located for assistance from a parent?
ThanksYes, on every single car, the pedal is in the center. "Push down on the gas pedal to make your race car go. To stop, let off the gas." :)

Now, the steering wheel, on the other hand, will be on either side, depending on which lane you choose to get in. On tracks 1 and 3 (from the inside out toward the queue), the steering wheel will be on the left. On tracks 2 and 4 (4 is nearest the queue), the steering wheel will be on the right.

You may request to be placed on whatever lane you wish :) Just ask the CM who "groups" you :thumbsup:

If you have two children of "driving height" riding in the car with you, you can request a "rider switch" from the CM's (doesn't require the "normal" rider switch procedure like at other attractions) and not even have to get out of the car or get off of the ride :) You'll actually get two complete laps around the speedway. One child can steer on the first lap all the way around; when you get back to the loading area, the CM will stop your car, you'll switch drivers, and take off on your second lap! :)

Oh - and *any* questions you may have about the Speedway, feel free to ask! I was a trainer there :)

Trivia question: what popular model car are the Tomorrowland Speedway race cars modeled after? (I'll give bonus points if you can tell me what *year* they're modeled after!)

SugarMagnolia
12-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you!!!!