PDA

View Full Version : best of disney flops

kurt
11-27-2012, 01:58 PM
what is the best thing that Disney has tried to present that was a failure or flop? for me it was the cake castle:goofy:

PopPhan
11-27-2012, 03:19 PM
How about "Stitch's Dance Party" in Tomorrowland? Wasn't that closed almost as soon as it opened?

BriarRose0708
11-27-2012, 03:44 PM
the Bouncing Spot in the Pooh interactive queue (now the Pooh and Tigger M&G location) closed very fast because they were afraid kids were getting hurt as they bounced and hurled themselves at each other. What a great opportunity for law suits. Duh! How that idea ever got by risk management I'll never know.

This is a good suggestion, hope they use it on the Podcast.

CU Tiger
11-30-2012, 01:27 PM
How about "Stitch's Dance Party" in Tomorrowland? Wasn't that closed almost as soon as it opened?

This is the first thing that came to my mind. :mickey:

lightyearfan
11-30-2012, 01:46 PM
what is the best thing that Disney has tried to present that was a failure or flop? for me it was the cake castle:goofy:

strangely enough me and dw, liked the cake castle, i would say stich's dance party is more the flop imho

victor

DizneyFreak2002
11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Wait til Next GEN officially comes on line.. That will be one expensive flop (now approaching 2 billion, not 1 billion like originally stated)...

But for right now, Stitch's Dance party is a huge flop...

DisneyDawgette
11-30-2012, 02:28 PM
How about Stitch's Great Escape- oh, wait. somehow it's still there... :ack:

A Big Kid
11-30-2012, 06:17 PM
John Carter.

villavic
11-30-2012, 06:51 PM
The cake castle.

Roger's #1 Fan
11-30-2012, 08:33 PM
The first redo of JIYA, not that the second one is much better :sick:

NewmanFamily6
11-30-2012, 09:38 PM
I really do not care for the carnival dino themed section in AK:confused: Why oh why is it popular or still there?

tiggerbuddy
12-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Why couldnt they just leave the original one alone ???:thumbsup:

The first redo of JIYA, not that the second one is much better :thumbsup:

tiggerbuddy
12-01-2012, 07:30 AM
The speed tunnel at the end of "World of Motion"...Should have ended with a sneak peak of futuristic vehicles.

KevMcNJ
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
forgive my ignorance but what is Next GEN and JIYA?

Main Street Jim
12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
forgive my ignorance but what is JIYA?I think they meant "JIYI", which is "Journey Into Your Imagination". The FLOP that wwas withOUT Figment. To me, it still IS a flop.

I have too many to name :(

teamblackwell
12-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Iago in the Tiki room never went over well. Not sure if it classified as a flop?

FLKatie912
12-02-2012, 05:54 AM

This still do it for Not So Scary parties, and random night when capacity is running high. :) This year I saw it on 4th of July.:stitch:

bruin1344
12-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Iago in the Tiki room never went over well. Not sure if it classified as a flop?

I agree on Tiki Room

I like Dr. Nigel Channing (Eric Idle) addition to JIYI

MrPeetrie
12-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Wait til Next GEN officially comes on line.. That will be one expensive flop (now approaching 2 billion, not 1 billion like originally stated)...

I think this will be a huge, expensive flop, too!!!

housemouse
12-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I'd have to go with the cake castle. That was about the most ridiculous looking thing I've ever seen(at least as far as something that large goes).

Main Street Jim
12-03-2012, 07:19 PM
I really do not care for the carnival dino themed section in AK:confused: Why oh why is it popular or still there?Because that's the way Disney *intended* it to look/feel. *Cheesy*. It's supposed to emanate the feel of an old roadside carnival/attraction from "back in the day" (think Route 66).

One of the "worst flops"? Stitch's Great Escape. They shoulda left Alien Encounter alone. :(

WDWParrothead
12-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Discovery River Boats!

RavsRuleDisney!
12-18-2012, 12:06 PM
swan boats around the castle. and weren't there canoes to ride on rivers of america way back in the day?

SurferStitch
12-18-2012, 12:29 PM
This still do it for Not So Scary parties, and random night when capacity is running high. :) This year I saw it on 4th of July.:stitch:

We went to Stitch's Dance Party a couple times during MNSSHP on 10/30, and it was packed both times... right up to midnight!

MickeysBestPal
12-18-2012, 01:22 PM
The first redo of JIYA, not that the second one is much better.

Why couldnt they just leave the original one alone ???

Here's some background-

Kodak, the original "Journey Into Imagination" attraction's corporate sponsor since the opening of Epcot, had an agreement with Disney that stated the attraction must be "updated" for the year 2000.

Little did anyone know that the "creative minds" in WDImagineering would not be nearly as creative in 1998 as they had been in 1980!

The new "Journey Into Your Imagination" ride was one of the biggest disappointments in the history of Disney parks. There was NOTHING left of what had made the original ride such a major crowd pleaser (and that also meant that there was no Figment in that version!)

So, they finally "re-did the re-do" and you now still see the result:
"Journey Into Imagination With Figment."
Its "cute," (and, obviously, Figment is back) but the current ride is nothing but a far too short, sliver of the amazing first version of the ride.

In the grand scheme of these kind of things, re-designing the original ride was a colossal blunder.

There's a saying that goes, "Do you want to trade the devil you KNOW for the devil you DON'T know?"
(Meaning that if you don't like your situation NOW, how do you know that you won't move into a WORSE one by making a change?)

I'll paraphase it in the case of "Imagination" to say to Kodak/Disney...
"Do you want to trade the ANGEL you KNOW for the POSSIBLE devil you DON'T know?"

The original version of this ride is my all-time favorite attraction at Epcot.

It was so RICH in details that I'm sure that I never saw "everything" in it, even after literally dozens of ride-throughs.

The scenes were diverse and always surprising.
The musical arrangements were complex and interesting.
The characters were engaging.

There was even a "ride photo" that displayed as you rode along near the end.
What a tragedy that this was "lost" in an untimely and entirely AVOIDABLE set of missteps.

I'll assume that there was an entire CHAIN of memos and meetings where warnings of
looming problems were ignored (or not spoken strongly enough.)

I have seen so many majorly ill-advised corporate decisions made in all kinds of companies.

So sad that in a "vast bastion of creativity" like Disney, could they make such an unfortunate move
as to lose the original artistic creation that was the first version of Journey Into IMAGINATION.

Granny Jill A
12-18-2012, 02:17 PM
I really do not care for the carnival dino themed section in AK:confused: Why oh why is it popular or still there?

This one gets my vote. Can't imagine why people spend all that money to come to a Disney carnival.

The noise level is bad for kids, too.

Stu29573
12-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Here's some background-

Kodak, the original "Journey Into Imagination" attraction's corporate sponsor since the opening of Epcot, had an agreement with Disney that stated the attraction must be "updated" for the year 2000.

Little did anyone know that the "creative minds" in WDImagineering would not be nearly as creative in 1998 as they had been in 1980!

The new "Journey Into Your Imagination" ride was one of the biggest disappointments in the history of Disney parks. There was NOTHING left of what had made the original ride such a major crowd pleaser (and that also meant that there was no Figment in that version!)

So, they finally "re-did the re-do" and you now still see the result:
"Journey Into Imagination With Figment."
Its "cute," (and, obviously, Figment is back) but the current ride is nothing but a far too short, sliver of the amazing first version of the ride.

In the grand scheme of these kind of things, re-designing the original ride was a colossal blunder.

There's a saying that goes, "Do you want to trade the devil you KNOW for the devil you DON'T know?"
(Meaning that if you don't like your situation NOW, how do you know that you won't move into a WORSE one by making a change?)

I'll paraphase it in the case of "Imagination" to say to Kodak/Disney...
"Do you want to trade the ANGEL you KNOW for the POSSIBLE devil you DON'T know?"

The original version of this ride is my all-time favorite attraction at Epcot.

It was so RICH in details that I'm sure that I never saw "everything" in it, even after literally dozens of ride-throughs.

The scenes were diverse and always surprising.
The musical arrangements were complex and interesting.
The characters were engaging.

There was even a "ride photo" that displayed as you rode along near the end.
What a tragedy that this was "lost" in an untimely and entirely AVOIDABLE set of missteps.

I'll assume that there was an entire CHAIN of memos and meetings where warnings of
looming problems were ignored (or not spoken strongly enough.)

I have seen so many majorly ill-advised corporate decisions made in all kinds of companies.

So sad that in a "vast bastion of creativity" like Disney, could they make such an unfortunate move
as to lose the original artistic creation that was the first version of Journey Into IMAGINATION.

There is one issue that you didn't address, which was the problems of the vehicles syncing up with the ride carrousel. Still I completely agree that to destroy the ride wasn't the best idea to deal with any of these issues...

tomorrow land fan
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I never cared for the top hat & wand on spaceship earth prior to milleneum or after...

JabberJaws
12-19-2012, 03:21 PM
How about Stitch's Great Escape- oh, wait. somehow it's still there... :ack:

This! I still consider AE to be one of my favorite Disney rides (DL and WDW combined) all time. Right up there with ToT, Space Mt, etc. For me it was simply blasphemy to do SGE after enjoying AE so many times before. AE was probably one of the most technologically advanced attractions in the world at the time, and was one of the genuinely scariest attractions I've ever been on. Such a shame.

Beyond this, maybe the Citrus Swirl fiasco, when they changed the CS from a delicious mixture of frozen OJ and vanilla to glorified cream-sicle soft serve. Glad they realized their mistake and brought the old school CS back. Wish they would do the same with SGE!

tinkman
12-20-2012, 06:38 AM
For me, it was bringing Capt. EO back.

TinkerbellFan16
12-27-2012, 07:53 AM
I never cared for the top hat & wand on spaceship earth prior to milleneum or after...

I actually liked this. I don't think they should have kept it on as long as they did though...

ThanxForNoticin
12-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd have to go with the cake castle. That was about the most ridiculous looking thing I've ever seen(at least as far as something that large goes).

I have to agree with you on this one. The 'cake castle' didn't work.

I respect Disney for trying different things. But the cake castle is something we don't need to see again! Those poor folks who planned their weddings at the Wedding Pav during that time!

AmandaChan
12-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Narnia exhibit!!!

NJGIRL
01-12-2013, 12:11 AM
One of the "worst flops"? Stitch's Great Escape. They shoulda left Alien Encounter alone. :(

While I don't hate Stitch or think it's a flop, I did love Ailen Encounter and also think they should have left it alone. One scary ride in the MK should have been OK to have.

NJGIRL
01-12-2013, 12:15 AM
For me, it was bringing Capt. EO back.

:thumbsup: It is so dated. It's really embarassing.

MickeysBestPal
01-12-2013, 04:26 AM
what is the best thing that Disney has tried to present that was a failure or flop?

Since nobody mentioned the "Light Magic" (Parade/Show in 1997) at Disneyland, I will.
THAT was a very embarrassing, very expensive, very public, colossal flop.
Lots of new infrastructure built through the park along the route... that all had to be summarily torn out after just a (comparatively) few performances of this parade/show.

And, how can we not mention the first iteration of DIsney('s) California Adventure?
Looks like the re-build of this park is doing very well, however.
A major "save," but very, very expensive.

If the NextGen/MyMagic+ (especially FP+) fizzles, it's going to be one of the biggest losses ever.
If the cost figures weren't just corporate puffery, they could have built 10-25 brand new E-Ticket attractions for the money they "invested " for this project.

MickeysBestPal
01-12-2013, 05:38 AM
-----------
OTOH-
I do think that at least ONE of the aspects of NextGen seems to be a success.
The NextGen "line-less" queue at Dumbo is a good idea.
The delicatessen-style "take a number (or pager) and wait to be called, but not in a line" gives guests an opportunity to play games, etc. while waiting to board a popular ride.
This waiting area could be modified to include light snacks, drinks, restrooms, gift shop (of course) and/or a video area (with benches) that plays (for instance) classic Disney cartoons and shorts.

They tested this kind of "line-less" queue at DHS' Rock'n'RollerCoaster a couple of times a year or so ago.
I wish that they would actually make it a permanent queue system at R'n'RC every day.
That standby line can be one long boring wait!

kbean
01-12-2013, 06:47 AM

roses
01-12-2013, 09:39 AM

:thumbsup: Agreed!