PDA

View Full Version : Penny Machines and the new penny

Gator
11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
I was pulling out some nice looking pennies for the penny machine. The new style pennies are nice and shiney, but they don't feel like the standard copper penny. Anyone have experience with the new ones?

Altair
11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Resist the urge to use modern copper-plated (97%) zinc pennies. Use pre-1982 (95%) copper pennies for best results. You can still find shiney ones in ciruclation or you can purchase uncirculated rolls at coin shops for a small premium. :twocents: :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
11-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Resist the urge to use modern copper-plated (97%) zinc pennies. Use pre-1982 (95%) copper pennies for best results. You can still find shiney ones in ciruclation or you can purchase uncirculated rolls at coin shops for a small premium. :twocents: :mickey:

Any particular reason why? I only ask because my past 6 trips I press about 10-20 pennies a trip and I only use the shinny new pennies because they look so much better and I haven't had any problems. I actually think the pictures come out better on the new pennies, I have had to resort to older pennies and they are dull, unclear and the picture never looks good.

Gator
11-27-2012, 01:41 AM
And the debate is on. Actually, what I speak of is that really new penny that's been minted in the last few years. It has several different backs, it shines like new, and it feels lighter than regular pennies.

mechanic
11-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Straight from the press a penny website;
New pennies can show silver streaks from the zinc. They tarnish quicker and tend to turn black
some people prefer the shaded look of newer pennies.
Copper pennies tarnish more slowly
they tend to turn green
All pennies should be thoroughly cleaned before pressing so that dirt isn't embedded in the finish.

Altair
11-27-2012, 05:55 AM
what I speak of is that really new penny that's been minted in the last few years. It has several different backs, it shines like new, and it feels lighter than regular pennies.

Zinc pennies weigh 2.5 grams, copper pennies weigh 3.11 grams. Copper is four times more valuable than zinc.:mickey:

TinkerbellT421
11-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Straight from the press a penny website;
New pennies can show silver streaks from the zinc. They tarnish quicker and tend to turn black
some people prefer the shaded look of newer pennies.
Copper pennies tarnish more slowly
they tend to turn green
All pennies should be thoroughly cleaned before pressing so that dirt isn't embedded in the finish.

Dang. That means my pennies are going to tarnish? Ugh, that's a bummer. :/ thanks for the info. So basically they look okay now and then in a few years will look like garbage :( grrrrr I shall be on the hunt for older nicer looking pennies for this trip then!

joonyer
11-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Although the design on the reverse has changed several times in the past few years, the composition of the U.S. penny has been the same since 1983, as others have mentioned. (Core: 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper; plating 100% copper) So any penny minted since 1983 is going to be the same (eventually), as far as tarnishing, etc. If you have any jars of old coins around, it shouldn't be too hard to find some 1982 and older pennies.

chriscwest45
11-27-2012, 03:33 PM
I have a huge pressed coin collection and I find you can stave off the discoloration by a soak in a vinegar bath and a scrub. I have all the coins from the WDW grounds except the new ones at Typhoon Lagoon because I never get there, 1 penny from Disneyquest I lost (ARGH), the new Wreck-it Ralph machines at Hollywood studios and Phineas and Ferb designs at Epcot, and that darn Shades of Green cause I can't get in there....