PDA

View Full Version : Charging cell phones

Lynn J Mc
11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Any where in the various parks to charge cell phones? Cant wait to use iphone apps for Disney but afraid battery wont last all day and not planning to go back to room during day.

1DisneyNut
11-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't believe they have any charging stations and they do not allow you to use the few electrical outlets in stores or restaurants for charging.

We have extra batteries for our Android phones we carry when traveling but with an iPhone you are out of luck since you can't change the battery. That is one of several reasons I do not like iPhones.

VWL Mom
11-20-2012, 06:48 PM
I picked up a portable charger for my iphone. Ran about $20 and fully recharges the phone. Amazon has some different ones in stock. The one I bought is about the size of a roll of pennies and fits easily in my purse. Honestly though, even using the WDW apps I've never drained my battery in a day.

arbie_c
11-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I used the my Disney experience frequently to check wait times etc & didn't have any problems with my battery. That's even answering texts & phone calls from work & using the camera on my phone. Remember to close out any apps you aren't using. That will help.

AgentC
11-20-2012, 08:18 PM
You are supposed to be able to leave your phone at Guest Services or the camera store to have it charged if you bring your own charging cable. I have never tried it myself because I don't want to carry my cord with me and risk losing it.

I have an iPhone and I carry 1-2 back up charger/batteries. I have a Mophie charger that you can recharge. I also have an Energizer charger that works with two AA lithium batteries.

If you are an average user just using the app will probably not not run down your battery as long as you close it out when not using it. y mom has never had to charge hers when we are in the park.

I use my phone for the app plus pictures plus video plus tweeting plus texting. I usually charge my phone when it drops to 50-60% and have to do it at least once a day.

Lynn J Mc
11-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am an iphone addict

PETE FROM NYC
11-21-2012, 06:22 PM
I have never had any of our phones die on us. And that includes my niece, who is constantly on with her BF.
But DW and I are both ECV users, and we have re-charged our ECVs many times in any outlet we found. No CM ever said BOO about it.

goofygirl67
11-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Mine dies all the time. I like listening to the radio. I also work in grocery stores and some more than others drain the battery. One time it was dead in 4hrs and I never used it.

Patricia
11-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Bring your cord and keep your eyes peeled. I charged my iPhone in Mexico, just as you enter the building turn right and there is a plug in the lower wall. A Margarita might help pass the time. In the MK I charged at Cosmic Rays.. By the fixin' bars there are outlets on some of the post and more outlets in the back hall by the washrooms. Also some of the tables at Pecos Bills had outlets in the walls.. There are more out there. Christine seemed to know of a few others.

kakn7294
11-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I have a portable battery pack that can charge my iphone at least 4 times from 20% to full charge before the battery needs charged. I got it from Amazon.

I heard a while back that some lockers where to add in cables to charge the various types of phones, including iphones. I haven't heard if this actually happened.

CanadianWDWFan
11-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Another vote for a battery powered charger. I got one for under $10 and it works like a charm.

mom2morgan
11-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I heard a while back that some lockers where to add in cables to charge the various types of phones, including iphones. I haven't heard if this actually happened.

Now THAT would be a really cool idea!

Melanie
11-23-2012, 08:28 AM
There are outlets here and there around the parks if you are willing to search. My favorites are Electric Umbrella (huge columns in the indoor seating area right across from MouseGear), Pecos Bill (outside) and also one I found down in the Splash area.

That said, I now have three extra batteries and normally don't need the outlets, unless I'm doing heavy tweeting.

Goofy4TheWorld
11-23-2012, 08:35 AM
So the next book written for Disney World won't be "Where to Find Hidden Mickeys" but instead "Where to Find Hidden Outlets, an iPhone User's Guide to The WDW Resort!"

:D

Sorry, I just found it funny!

PirateLover
11-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I use my iPhone for pictures and video, tweeting and texting, and more, so it never makes it to the end of the day. I'm finally asking for a back up charger for Christmas! Good to know about all these outlets, though. During Food and Wine Festival I used the Chase Visa lounge in the old Wonders of Life pavilion for charging. Not sure if that is still open now that the festival is over.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-24-2012, 01:45 PM
So the next book written for Disney World won't be "Where to Find Hidden Mickeys" but instead "Where to Find Hidden Outlets, an iPhone User's Guide to The WDW Resort!"

:D

Sorry, I just found it funny!

Now that's funny!

DonaldDuckUSA
11-24-2012, 11:40 PM
DBF and I brought in chargers once, but we hated finding a place and then waiting for it to charge up.

I usually just turn mine off and when his dies, I turn mine on. Usually both don't die in that time frame. People know to call one or the other in case there is an emergency and we've gotten pretty good at sharing. ;)

BrerGnat
11-26-2012, 08:34 AM
There are outlets here and there, but you should consider buying a portable charger to carry with you.

My phone dies in about 6-7 hours of heavy use.

I need to buy a portable charger...

Lynn J Mc
11-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Think I'll take my charger with me and see how it goes.

JPL
11-29-2012, 03:16 PM
I have a portable battery pack as well that allows you to charge your phone works quite well and if you buy a longer USB cord you can use your phone while it's charging.

MargaretMessler
11-29-2012, 04:00 PM
For anyone who may be in the market for a phone with super long battery life, I will recommend the Droid Razr MAXX from Verizon. I generally get more than an entire day with moderate to heavy data usage.

Just an FYI that falls in with the conversation...

vetman
11-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Tip: If you have an iPad, carry that charger to the parks as the higher wattage charger will charge your iPhone faster.