View Full Version : Test Track ?

nicholsbears
11-19-2012, 07:48 PM
:santa: Any news on Test Track ?

Thanks. :tree:

villavic
11-19-2012, 08:05 PM
reopening? Isn't it on 12/06/12 ?

Refurb Schedules (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp)

phlo8810
11-19-2012, 08:28 PM
I've always heard 12/6 too. I was there 2 weeks ago and it didnt look remotely close to being done.
you could get great views from the monorail.

villavic
11-19-2012, 08:59 PM
And what will be new? I read this but it's from april:

The redesigned Test Track will step things up a notch by allowing guests to design their own vehicle and put it to the test on the track. The new “SimCars” will evaluate the design throughout the course of the track and present the rider with a score at the end of the ride. Besides these scant details, little else is known about the new ride. However, some of the sporty new vehicles that will be used on the Chevrolet Test Track already made some appearances prior to Test Track’s closing on April 15th. Based on the look of these cars, the new Test Track experience will be ditching the classic yellow and black design throughout the ride for something more contemporary and cool.

Test Track closed (http://entertainmentdesigner.com/news/theme-park-design-news/epcot-centers-test-track-closed-for-now-but-returns-later-this-year-with-new-look/)

John
11-20-2012, 01:37 AM
I'll be at the media event Dec 5-7 and Test Track is on the list of things we're to do... So I'll take pictures and video and post to the site from the event.

figgie
11-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Great, thanks John!

DizneyFreak2002
11-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Supposedly the ride vehicles were cycling the other night with Test Track CMs in them....

r4kids
11-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Please please please Disney gods, let us be able to attend a soft opening and ride on the Nov 29th or Dec 1st!!!! :magic: :pixie:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Please please please Disney gods, let us be able to attend a soft opening and ride on the Nov 29th or Dec 1st!!!! :magic: :pixie:

I'm with ya. Our last full day in the parks is the 2nd, so am hoping for a little :magic:

nicholsbears
11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
:santa2: I'm with you...hoping for a miracle...our last day there is Dec.1. Last time we waited for Test Track to open it was 4 years after the projected opening date ! :santa3:

kohlby
11-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I heard a couple weeks ago that the whisper date for reopening was Nov 21st, but that's whisper, meaning that I wasn't holding my breath. (But really, really hoping for a little after that when we're there!) On some board that I can't rememeber, someone mentioned that a CM said Wed -as in this Wed. Now, of course that's a random person on the internet saying Wed, but it does match that soft opening of Nov 21st that I heard from a source that I trust more than someone totally random.

So, keep checking up on it! It's possible!

DizneyFreak2002
11-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm with ya. Our last full day in the parks is the 2nd, so am hoping for a little :magic:

:santa2: I'm with you...hoping for a miracle...our last day there is Dec.1. Last time we waited for Test Track to open it was 4 years after the projected opening date ! :santa3:
You may be in luck as the ride may actually be open no later than December 1... Just don't take it as fact...

FLKatie912
11-21-2012, 11:43 PM
I walked by tonight and most of the cars were running empty, but I did hear one car that had people because we heard screams. :)

Main Street Jim
11-22-2012, 11:26 AM
CM's have been getting previews :)

I've seen pics of the artist concepts and stuff; this "new" version reminds me a LOT of the old World of Motion :)

Lookin' good so far, Imagineers! :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-24-2012, 03:28 PM
One more thing on my to do list in a week. I'll be at the World by this time next week!

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Look for soft openings for guests by this Saturday... A few things are still being brought up online and tested during CM previews... CM reviews are out there for all to read... Sounds pretty interesting.. My only concern is with allowing guests to design their car in the Stand By line... I fear this may artificially increase wait times.... But, we'll see once the ride opens... Hopefully my concern is not a reality...

Lightning McQueen
11-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Cm reviews are out where for all to see?

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Cm reviews are out where for all to see?

Yep.. lot of CMs posting reviews on the net.. Just gotta search :thumbsup:

Altair
11-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Is there going to be a way to bypass all the interactive stuff and just do the ride itself?:confused:

Cheshire_Girl
11-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Is there going to be a way to bypass all the interactive stuff and just do the ride itself?:confused:

I sure hope so. After reading about the new design your own-it just sounds like filler to me. I have no interest in this addition.

My only concern is with allowing guests to design their car in the Stand By line... I fear this may artificially increase wait times.... But, we'll see once the ride opens... Hopefully my concern is not a reality...

I'm with you on this. It sounds to me like this is in the que line? Correct? And if that is the case, if the people in front of you are taking forever to design their car and you want to just move ahead, well you're stuck!! And what if you get a group of 10 people and they all want to design it, and then a group of 5 behind them and so on and so on...Just seems like it has the potential to make the wait for this ride a nightmare.

Thank god I only feel the need to ride it once a year.

AgentC
11-28-2012, 10:05 AM
I sure hope so. After reading about the new design your own-it just sounds like filler to me. I have no interest in this addition.

I'm with you on this. It sounds to me like this is in the que line? Correct? And if that is the case, if the people in front of you are taking forever to design their car and you want to just move ahead, well you're stuck!! And what if you get a group of 10 people and they all want to design it, and then a group of 5 behind them and so on and so on...Just seems like it has the potential to make the wait for this ride a nightmare.

My understanding is there is going to be a time limit for the design phase that has been worked into the planned wait times. It is really like a pre show area with a special room as opposed to the interactive queues where the people in front of you can stop and play the games forever.

My cousin is a cast member at Epcot and was raving about this ride. I haven't heard him so excited in awhile so I am looking forward to checking it out in December.

Cheshire_Girl
11-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Cindy-Thanks for the additional info. If it there is a time limit and it is a "pre show" area, then maybe it will be a benefit and a nice addition to the ride experience. I hope so...I just keep thinking about the game at space mountain...Last time I was there SM was practically walk on, yet they still had the game running (seems like it is not always running when the line is short?) Anyway, there was a large family group in front of us that kept stopping and playing the game and got a bit offended when I asked them to keep moving or let us get in front of them...it was really annoying, and not the first time it has happened to me in a line that was empty and has an interactvie que!
So now I am curious and "on board" to experience the new and improved Test Track!

DizneyFreak2002
11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Yep, Fastpass or single rider... Stand By will go through the process of designing the car... Fastpass/Single Rider get a generic test vehicle...

Yes it is part of the queue, but like Cindy said, think of it as more of a preshow than actual queue... The more I read and hear the less worried I become... Cindy's post reaffirmed what I read last night, about this being more preshow that actual queue (though it is actual queue if that makes sense)... I'm sure they worked numbers out...

I'm actually more concerned with NextGen being the culprit in excessive stand by line wait increases....

Main Street Jim
11-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Last time I was there SM was practically walk on, yet they still had the game running (seems like it is not always running when the line is short?) Anyway, there was a large family group in front of us that kept stopping and playing the game and got a bit offended when I asked them to keep moving or let us get in front of them...it was really annoying, and not the first time it has happened to me in a line that was empty and has an interactvie que!
So now I am curious and "on board" to experience the new and improved Test Track!We always just walk around them if they stop to play the games :) They want to take their time and experience the "interactivity"; we just want to get on the ride! We do the same thing at Soarin' when the end of the line is up past the games and people stop in front of us. :)

FLKatie912
11-29-2012, 07:57 AM

I was a little worried about all of this car design stuff as well. Having experienced it a few times now, it is a great addition! The queue has been completely redesigned, you won't even recognize it.

I can confirm that the car design preshow is indeed timed, so no need to fret over that although I must admit I typically finished 3 minutes prior to the allowed time, but I'm not a car person.

From what it looks like to me Fast Pass will not be bypassing the design lab, it appears that there are 2 sides when it comes up to the loading area to the design lab. It does look like the single rider line does not go to the lab.

The car you designs "follows" you throughout this entire attraction and becomes part of it, so give it a chance, it's amazing what the Imagineers did!:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
11-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Test Track may not be opening for soft opens tomorrow (Saturday) after all... Some issues still remain getting everything online... The issues aren't severe, but they do affect show and shouldn't take very long to get running properly...

CMs who have ridden has said the ride is very Tronish... some pictures coming out show a totally revamped queue and post show... Both look excellent... Very Epcot Centerish...

DizneyFreak2002
12-01-2012, 07:37 PM
One word... WOW!!! :thumbsup:

Something tells me everyone will be happy with the new Test Track...

BrerGnat
12-02-2012, 08:54 AM
There is at least one video of the FULL ride/queue experience on You Tube.

Looks neat, but the design element is ho hum, at least to me. The entire ride all you hear is "obtaining design data". Kind of annoying.

Visually, though, the ride looks cool. The queue is a 100% improvement.

DizneyFreak2002
12-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Anyone going to the park today, Test Track is open for previews....

JohnnyNovo
12-03-2012, 11:44 PM
We got on it today. I really like the new que. The updated theme gives it a completely new feel with the use of the old track. The new que made the 35min wait go pretty fast.

DisneyDawgette
12-04-2012, 01:59 AM

Yikes... This sounds like most of the other interactive queues that have so far stunted a few lines I've been in. What will be worse: lots of kids playing in the Haunted Mansion queue and not moving (a queue that was very literally sticky the last time I went), or lots of older kids and adults wanting to design their own car with no regard for other people in line? Either way, I don't think it's very promising. :(

BrerGnat
12-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Yikes... This sounds like most of the other interactive queues that have so far stunted a few lines I've been in. What will be worse: lots of kids playing in the Haunted Mansion queue and not moving (a queue that was very literally sticky the last time I went), or lots of older kids and adults wanting to design their own car with no regard for other people in line? Either way, I don't think it's very promising. :(

As mentioned earlier, the design phase of the attraction REPLACES the old "preshow" inside that room. The room now contains a set number of computer terminals, with numbers on them. Guests are lined up and given a numbered circle to stand on as well as an RFID enabled card to hold. When the doors to the room open up, guests walk in and go to their corresponding computer terminal. From what I could tell in the video, guests have approximately 3 minutes to design all aspects of their car. There is a countdown timer on every screen and they all start at the same time.

When you are done designing the car, you hold your RFID card up to the terminal, and it "saves" your design. You exit the room as a group, then get into portion of the line where you wait to board the cars. Once you get in the car, the car "reads" all the RFID cards in the car. Essentially, there are points along the ride where the card data is "read" (i.e. at the different tests). At the end of the ride, there is a list ranking the cars from 1-6, in terms of which car "performed" the best overall. Cars are recognizable because they put up pictures of the cars, so you can tell which one is yours.

Honestly, the design portion is kinda confusing and I can see some younger kids having a hard time doing it themselves. Parents will basically have to decide whether to design their own car, or help their kids.

Going2HeavenRU
12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I just watched a video of the entire ride. Looks interesting (like Tron) until you go outside on the track. It really breaks the illusion.

DizneyFreak2002
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I just watched a video of the entire ride. Looks interesting (like Tron) until you go outside on the track. It really breaks the illusion.

I agree with you about the outside portion... They need to add neon lighting to it (for night time rides) and a soundtrack based on Daft Punk... Or, enclose it and make it a neon jungle, complete with Daft Punk soundtrack...

However, since we know they won't do that, fixing the script to tie the outside portion into the Sim Track would help it out a ton...

disneymom2000
12-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Can't wait to try this out. Will be there in less than 4 days. :cloud9:

troy0228
12-05-2012, 09:58 PM
:santa: Any news on Test Track ?

Thanks. :tree:

I am at Disney world now, got on the new test track Tuesday. Test track opened Tuesday December 4 2012, I did NOT like the new set up at all, it is a dark ride with no personality at all. The old saying "if its not broke don't fix it" Disney should read it, the new test track is a flop.I was told by the engineers there that night test track was set up for the "computer generation" well it is like bring in a cat 5 cable not testing a vehicle.

BrerGnat
12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
I am at Disney world now, got on the new test track Tuesday. Test track opened Tuesday December 4 2012, I did NOT like the new set up at all, it is a dark ride with no personality at all. The old saying "if its not broke don't fix it" Disney should read it, the new test track is a flop.I was told by the engineers there that night test track was set up for the "computer generation" well it is like bring in a cat 5 cable not testing a vehicle.

I kind of agree with you. What I saw on the video was visually interesting, but that's about it. There is no story anymore. As tacky as the old story was, at least you had some semblance of what the ride was all about. Saying this ride is about automobile design/testing is a S-T-R-E-T-C-H.

I will give them credit for making the ride at least look/feel more futuristic. And, major kudos to the new queue, which fits in much better with Futureworld.

The worst part is on the outside portion, when you can still see the old black and yellow checkered pattern on the side of the building from the "old" version. Fail.

That said, I have two boys, 6 and 8. They weren't the least bit interested in the old ride. Never wanted to ride it. However, I showed them the video of the new one, and they are ALL OVER it. They are drawn into anything with blinking/flashing llights, computer graphics, etc. So, maybe the Imagineers are right about appealing to the "computer generation" of kids these days...

SBETigg
12-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I can't tell from the videos alone, but from what I have seen- yes, the whole things seems really generic. Disappointing so far. I like some of the new elements, but the whole dark with neon interior and ride-through, and even the music in the queue just lacks originality and wow factor. Maybe it's not coming off well in the videos. I already miss the old Test Track. Even the annoying queue music. But I guess it's not fair to judge until I've been through it in person.

jwallace378
12-12-2012, 07:12 AM
I went on yesterday. Don't hate me...but I like the old Test Track better. The pre show "design your car" portion is too in depth and time consuming. There is no truth to the name of the ride anymore. They should've renamed it "Tron". The indoor portion is just all neon lights now and no "testing" at all.

Stu29573
12-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I saw the videos and my impression is "meh." I can't see how this is a huge improvement over the original, which seemed to have more story and humor to it. The original also seemed a bit more exciting, since this version is just too slick and "everything is in control." All in all, I don't think its a Journey Into Your Imagination scale "Fail," but it isn't an improvement...

SBETigg
12-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I went on yesterday. Don't hate me...but I like the old Test Track better. The pre show "design your car" portion is too in depth and time consuming. There is no truth to the name of the ride anymore. They should've renamed it "Tron". The indoor portion is just all neon lights now and no "testing" at all.

No hating from me. I'm really afraid I will have the same reaction. I actually enjoyed it the way it was, and I thought the queue and even the music was fun, too. Annoying. But unique and fun. Compared to... meh.

Kaps
12-12-2012, 12:57 PM
The ride is new but was not very exciting IMO. It looks like a scene from TROn dark with black lights. Wasn't very impressed by it

iluvdumbo
12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I can honestly say I'm excited to try it out in person but I don't know what my reaction will be. I have a feeling that I may not like it but it will be different to see the change.

Gator
12-12-2012, 03:28 PM
We did it on the soft opening day, and we loved it. In fact, it's my son's favorite ride now. It just looks cool and the ride is just as good - only without all the bumps and jolts that give your back fits for the rest of the day.

MrPeetrie
12-13-2012, 09:48 AM
...only without all the bumps and jolts that give your back fits for the rest of the day.

I'll be excited to try this next year. I hated the bumps and jolts.

troy0228
12-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Everyone write to Disney guest services, we must get the old test track back, the new one is horrible. The only way to change it is to write letters.

Butters
12-23-2012, 05:17 PM
It's a shame how much they ruined this ride, there is no entertainment factor at all anymore. Def the worst thing they've done in a long time!

LVT
12-24-2012, 07:33 AM
It is a matter of taste. I have 2 boys and we only did the old Test Track once, " too lame". We will try it again, just in case.

Main Street Jim
12-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Another "JIYI" fiasco?

troy0228
12-27-2012, 08:54 PM
As many may notice the NEW ride is terrible and there is NO testing of a car at all. With all the time Disney had to remake this ride all they did was to add some black light and place plywood trees around the track. The design area takes a long time and it has NO effect on the ride at all, so go through the fast pass line save yourself the time.The track is the same as the old ride but where you go into the " heat lamps" and the "cold chamber" it is empty and dark, in the old "cold chamber" area you can see a fake jet of smoke going over the car but thats it. This refurb is the worst thing I have seen in a long time, and the show room is terrible as well, I bet Chevrolet will lose business because of it. The old show room was so cool with the music and displays, but the new on is just bad. Please anyone that reads this forum write to disney guest services [email protected]
maybe if enough people write to disney they will change the ride, either back to the way it was or change the new one.

Imalismom
12-28-2012, 07:18 AM
We did the ride on the official opening day... It was okay, but we love the original ride better. Its not a ride I would rush back to do now....

Flower
12-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Thumbs down - DH and I weren't impressed at all, BUT the boys 6&8 loved it.

It felt like they just painted everything a dark colour and added neon to it - the transport truck was the absolute cheesiest of all - FAIL!

The boys loved the interaction at the end of the ride, but there were lines for some of the computers and some of the computers weren't working at all.

Disappointment, we expected SO much more from Disney and GM.

DisneyDawgette
12-29-2012, 12:06 AM
As many may notice the NEW ride is terrible and there is NO testing of a car at all. With all the time Disney had to remake this ride all they did was to add some black light and place plywood trees around the track. The design area takes a long time and it has NO effect on the ride at all, so go through the fast pass line save yourself the time.The track is the same as the old ride but where you go into the " heat lamps" and the "cold chamber" it is empty and dark, in the old "cold chamber" area you can see a fake jet of smoke going over the car but thats it. This refurb is the worst thing I have seen in a long time, and the show room is terrible as well, I bet Chevrolet will lose business because of it. The old show room was so cool with the music and displays, but the new on is just bad. Please anyone that reads this forum write to disney guest services [email protected]
maybe if enough people write to disney they will change the ride, either back to the way it was or change the new one.

Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

Unfortunately, writing to guest services probably won't force them to change it back right away. People seem pretty divided on the matter and they sunk too much money into this to bend after a few complaints. :(

But after all the discord, I'm super excited to see this new ride! Everyone seems to have their own opinion and I can't wait to have my own! The video looked pretty neat from what I could tell, but I definitely understand the Tron references!

John
12-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Another "JIYI" fiasco?

Uh no. In fact one of the better refurbs I have seen Disney do from start to finish.

AgentC
12-29-2012, 07:22 AM
I can see not everyone liking it but I am actually surprised how strongly some dislike it. My mom and I rode it at night and we really enjoyed it. We would have ridden a second time but we needed to get some Christmas shopping done before the park closed.

There is a story but one problem I did notice is sound in our car wasn't great so you could miss it if you were not paying close attention.