PDA

View Full Version : When did you get the fever?

ginny57
11-18-2012, 07:22 PM
What was it about WDW that turned you into a fanatic? Does everyone in your life get it? Have you passed it on?

For me it started with my first day trip to the Magic Kingdom in 1973. I found it fascinating and I felt pure joy from head to toe. I was mesmerized! 2 years later my senior class voted on where to go for our class trip and WDW didn't win! I was crushed. After graduation I was invited by a friend to join her on a group trip to WDW and had the time of my life! That did it!! I get there whenever I can save the money to go.

I have friends who share my passion and a few that don't get it. The ones who love it often join me when I go. The ones who don't need not worry...they don't have to come with ;)

I have passed my passion on to my 3 sons and I'm working on my daughter in law! Hoping to get them to all join me for a trip to the 2012 F&W Festival!.

So....tell me your story!! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Uh oh. I hope you mean the 2013 F&W?

For me it was on my first trip which was in '75 or '76. Back then there was only the Magic Kingdom and you could do the whole thing in one day. But as they keep expanding, it keeps things interesting and there is always something new to see.

And you are right, if someone doesn't get it, they don't have to go. Less crowds for those of us who do love it.

ginny57
11-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Yep...2013. Gosh I can't type!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Probably trying to multi-task like we all do. lol

I'm glad to know you didn't miss it in 2012 (thinking it was still going on) and that you actually meant 2013!

SBETigg
11-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Actually, it was before my first visit, watching Wonderful World of Disney and the Mickey Mouse Club (the older one in repeats, and the 70s version). They would show clips from in the parks and rides. I thought POTC and the teacups and Jungle Cruise looked amazing, plus, the Castle. I had a Haunted Mansion board game. For my first visit, Easter 1981, standing in front of Cinderella Castle, I felt like my whole life so far (all twelve years) was leading me to that moment. And not one minute of it disappointed. I knew I had to go back, again and again.

taleasoldastime
11-19-2012, 12:42 AM
I caught the fever from my mom and my grand parents. They have been going since opening year and every year since. My mom took me for the fist time when I was seven in 1999. I loved it! I went every year since. Then my grandpa passed away when I was in the seventh grade and it got worse. I went from waiting for the next trip and going with the flow to begging for each trip and planning every second with my mom. It just brings so many awesome memories back and reminds me of all the people that are important in my life. Now after having a trip almost every year (10 trips) I am still not tired of it at all!
i try to spread the fever to my clients at work. I am a hair stylist and they ask me about my vacations there. A lot of them feel like they cant afford it so I love to reassure them there are ways to do it that is actually way affordable! There are so many ways to fit it into your budget! I even had a client book a vacation because of me. She never knew she could afford to take her kid!

Ms. Mode
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Our neighbors (when we first got married) went to WDW every year on vacation and we just couldn't understand it.

When our DD turned 13 in 2004 we went on our first trip hoping she would enjoy it before she got to old. We LOVED it! We have since been as often as possible and our old neighbors are always available to share WDW conversation with. (They still go every year too)

My DD has recently gotten married and we are trying to convert our SIL...he doesn't stand a chance!

Aurora
11-19-2012, 05:30 PM
On my very first trip as a teen in the late 70s. We stayed offsite every night but one -- we could only afford one night in the Contemporary tower, but decades later, I still remember the view of the castle from our window. River Country still existed then, and it was an awesome water park for the time. We also had the pleasure of exploring Discovery Island.

I have converted many a friend and family member in our many trips since then, and my 16-year-old DD is a Disney World fanatic (not my explicit intention, but there you have it). She wants to work there someday and can't wait for our next trip.