PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance

disneymom15
11-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Looking for input. Who do you have your car insurance thru? We've had state farm forever, 30 plus years. Have only had 1 accident in all that time. I feel like our premiums are a bit high.
So, who's your company. How were they if you filed a claim.

We have a 2008 Altima ($386 for 6months) & a 2003 Maxima ($346 for 6 months).
Me 52, husband 54, daughter 22
Full coverage on both..

faline
11-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Insurance rates depend heavily on where you live so it would be hard to compare coverage with those who live in different states.

Disney4us2
11-18-2012, 03:25 PM
I have AARP Hartford. They have been great and so much less expensive. Last Dec. I was in a fender bender (hit from behind). They were great although, I went through the other driver's insurance (AAA). My rates just went down a bit too since my father now has his house insurance with AARP. :thumbsup:

You need to be 50 to join AARP, but I think your DD would be a covered driver under your policy. Doesn't hurt to check it out.

disneymom15
11-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Insurance rates depend heavily on where you live so it would be hard to compare coverage with those who live in different states.

I imagine that where you lives plays heavily into your premium. Really just looking for a starting point.

gerald72
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
I have State Farm and I pay approximately what you do. A little less.
I haven't been in any accidents.

Mickey'sGirl
11-19-2012, 08:55 AM
I work in the industry, and honestly, your rates seem pretty good to me for three drivers, and you are with a solid company. (No I do not work for State Farm :D )

Where you live absolutely affects your premium.

Your 22 year old daughter is likely adversely affecting your premium (you might do better to have her get her own policy at a smaller insurer, because big insurers really don't want under 25 drivers).

If you were at fault for your accident, it could potentially affect your rates. Normally a first offense is "forgiven" on (but not eliminated from) your statement of experience. Multiple at fault accidents may make you ineligible for insurance due to Underwriting Guidelines.

You might consider getting homeowner's insurance with the same insurer. There is usually a multi-product rebate given on both policies.

TiggeRia
11-19-2012, 09:21 AM
I, too, have State Farm and have been with them about 15 years. I have an '11 Rav 4 and pay about $100 more every six months than you do. I am accident free and have multiple policies with the company. I moved to Pa from Jersey (known for high rates) three years ago and still pay about the same I paid in NJ. My fiance uses Allstate and pays quite a bit more than I do, and he is also accident free.

Janmac
11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
We have USAA. A State Farm agent cold called us awhile back and when I said USAA she said, oh, well, I can't do better than that and hung up.

USAA is for military families. If you, or your husband, or one of his parents, or one of your parents were in the military, you can get insurance through USAA, if you like their rates.

We are with USAA through my DH, but my sister is with USAA because our father was in the Navy in WW2. He got USAA homeowners insurance. Then my sister got car and rentor's insurance. Then her daughter got car and rentor's insurance.

Our [adult] son recently switched to USAA for car insurance (because his dad is with USAA). So his [adult] sons can switch over too, if they want.

We have had to make two claims and were quite happy with the customer service. They have some unreal security, tho. :crazy: You need one pin for speaking with them on the phone and a different one for on-line business. This is after you use your ID and password.

Our daughter and SIL also have USAA (he's retired Coast Guard) and have vehicle loans and banking with them. They live near Superior, WI.

Jan

Jeri
11-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I too have USAA, my dad was in the navy so I can get it too. I know my brother (Army 8yrs) and his wife use them as well for banking and loans.

I have had many insurance cold calls say they can't compare with them.
I too am very happy with them, I have had to get a new windshield almost every year for a few years with my last van and they never raised my rates, or even questioned it. They sent someone out, I signed the paper and never paid a dime.

DonLefNY
11-20-2012, 04:49 PM
I've been with State Farm since 1981. Every year or so lately I go online and get quotes from every company I can think of and my current rates are comparable or lower than the quotes I get. It's hard to beat 30+ years of discounts. That plus I have a Guaranteed Policy which mean State Farm can not cancel me no matter what my driving record is or for claims activity (they can cancel me if I don't pay my bill).