PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk suggestions?

TheVBs
11-17-2012, 07:29 PM
During a quick visit right after Thanksgiving, we're going to spend an evening exploring Boardwalk. I understand there is entertainment there in the evening. Is it every evening? We'll probably shop and eat there as well. Big River Grille looks like a good spot. Do you need reservations? We'd also like to explore the shops and maybe pop into the resorts there to see decorations if it's convenient. Does the Beach Club have decorations worth the walk over? We were also thinking of trying a Kitchen Sink there. How far away from the Boardwalk is it? It's a little hard to tell from the map. I've heard you can see fireworks from Epcot and MK there. True? Any other suggestions while we're there?

MickeysBestPal
11-17-2012, 08:49 PM
During a quick visit right after Thanksgiving, we're going to spend an evening exploring Boardwalk.

1- I understand there is entertainment there in the evening.

2- Is it every evening?

3- We'll probably shop and eat there as well. Big River Grille looks like a good spot.

4- Do you need reservations? We'd also like to explore the shops and maybe pop into the resorts there to see decorations if it's convenient.

5- Does the Beach Club have decorations worth the walk over?

We were also thinking of trying a Kitchen Sink there.

6- How far away from the Boardwalk is it? It's a little hard to tell from the map.

I've heard you can see fireworks from Epcot and MK there.
7- True?

8- Any other suggestions while we're there?

1- Sorta. Not much.
2- Give or take.
3- Not much shopping. Restaurants are good.
4- I would.
5- Yup.
6- 8-10 min. walk. (Or you can take the Friendship, just for fun, Won't be faster.)
7- Not so much.
8- Jellyrolls (dueling piano bar) is very, very popular.

Checkers
11-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes, there is entertainment on the Boardwalk every night and it is fun. We just returned in Oct. from our vacation and stayed at the Boardwalk Villas. We had dinner one evening at the Big River Grille and did not have reservations. The Beach Club is across the lagoon and is not too far to walk (you could also take one of the Friendship Boats across) and is well worth it to see the holiday decor (also the Boardwalk Inn has great holiday decorations as well). It will be an evening well spent, imho. There are also other places to eat on the Boardwalk -- Kouzzina's (should make reservations here), ESPN Club as well as some at the Swan & Dolphin. The Kitchen Sink at Beaches 'n Cream is great!

As far as fireworks, I think there are some areas where you can see them but we really just watched them from our balcony.

Have fun!:mickey:

bruin1344
11-18-2012, 09:28 AM
If you like nightlife, I recommend Jellyrolls. I always have a fun time having a couple drinks and watching the dueling pianos. Atlantic Dance Hall has been quiet on most of trips.

TinkerbellT421
11-18-2012, 10:15 AM
During a quick visit right after Thanksgiving, we're going to spend an evening exploring Boardwalk. I understand there is entertainment there in the evening. Is it every evening? yes. It's mostly carnival type entertainment. There's about for different acts every night. A magician, a card trick guy, and a couple of other goofy entertainment. It's quite fun, especially if you are the one who gets picked as a volunteer. :)
We'll probably shop and eat there as well. Big River Grille looks like a good spot. Do you need reservations? no reservations needed. Food is decent. Nothing to write home about but nothing not edible either. I think it receives a lot of mixed reviews depending on what you expect and what you care to eat. If you drink I definitely recommend trying the house craft beers. Depending on your mood and if you care for buffet, and enjoy seafood, take a walk over to cape may if you haven't been. Or if you are going to try the kitchen sink try eating a good juicy burger there at beaches and cream! I highly recommend their food.

We'd also like to explore the shops and maybe pop into the resorts there to see decorations if it's convenient. Does the Beach Club have decorations worth the walk over? definitely! And it's so close that its definitely worth the walk!

We were also thinking of trying a Kitchen Sink there. How far away from the Boardwalk is it? five to ten minutes tops.

It's a little hard to tell from the map. I've heard you can see fireworks from Epcot and MK there. True? Any other suggestions while we're there?
sorta. It's not a clear view. You will miss most except for the higher aiming fireworks.

steamboat willy
11-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Not sure if this question is for a family, a group or just the two of you! The BOARDWALK is a nice relaxing RESORT to go for a night-time stroll. A beautiful wooden boardwalk like you would see in a northeast coastal town. You can rent a four-wheel, four seat bicycle type vehicle to traverse the resort and beyond. The amusement is much like some of the games at a local County Fair, but only a few. They do have a few performers, but, I don't remember what they are.
My wife and I enjoy just going and setting and watching all the above.
We enjoy Big River Grill and setting outside at an umbrella table. They also have a few nice :beer: that they craft onsite if you enjoy that sort of thing? We're going about a week after you and I hope the weather continues to warm so we can enjoy some FLORIDA temps and be able to set outside BRG.
Fireworks....at some spots you can see the TOPS of the EPCOT ILLUMINATIONS and maybe DS Fantasmics Show. Ask a cast member where the best place is, but don't expect a show like you get from inside.
As PP already said, Jelly Rolls is the place to for nightly entertainment and a laugh.
Shopping - Fudge Shop!
Enjoy whatever you decide!

21 Days.....:santa::tree::santa:

TheVBs
11-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Thank you for all the great responses! :mickey: We're really looking forward to exploring that area. Sounds like the Grille or Beaches and Cream would be good places to consider eating. DH and DD8 will not touch seafood. Since we'll be with the girls, the clubs aren't an option, but we will definitely make a point to go over and see the resort decorations. We've never been there this time of year before.

What would be the easiest way to get there (besides driving) from AoA?

TheVBs
11-19-2012, 08:37 AM
As an aside, we got our MVMCP tickets in the mail! :cloud9: I have to admit though, I was a little disappointed that they didn't look Christmas-y.

TinkerbellT421
11-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Thank you for all the great responses! :mickey: We're really looking forward to exploring that area. Sounds like the Grille or Beaches and Cream would be good places to consider eating. DH and DD8 will not touch seafood. Since we'll be with the girls, the clubs aren't an option, but we will definitely make a point to go over and see the resort decorations. We've never been there this time of year before.

What would be the easiest way to get there (besides driving) from AoA?

Take a bus to DHS and then either hop the boat or walk over. It's about a fifteen minute walk from DHS. If you have park hopper tickets and went to a park that day you can also take a bus to EPCOT and walk from there, but DHS would be your best option. If you don't want to rent a taxi (which I think would be a waste of money seeing you have other options, IMO)

TheVBs
11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
We won't have any park tickets beyond the MVMCP tickets. So if we go to DHS to hop on the boat or walk, would we be able to do that without having to enter DHS?

TinkerbellT421
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
We won't have any park tickets beyond the MVMCP tickets. So if we go to DHS to hop on the boat or walk, would we be able to do that without having to enter DHS?

Yes. They drop you off outside the park. Don't enter and just go to the boat ramp or take the walking path.