PDA

View Full Version : 'Mickey Check' Debuts on WDW Quick Service Menus

Melanie
11-14-2012, 05:15 PM
From the Official Disney Parks Blog

It’s going to become a recognized symbol on quick-service menus at various locations across Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort – the Mickey Check. The Mickey Check debuted on kids’ menus at Be Our Guest Restaurant earlier this month, and will appear on Disney table-service menus in January 2013.

Part of the Disney Magic of Healthy Living initiative, the tool was created to make it easier to identify nutritious choices that address family needs. In order to receive the Mickey Check, kids’ meals and other items must meet Disney Nutrition Guidelines. The Disney Nutrition Guidelines align to the U. S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans and focus on contributing to a nutritious diet, encouraging kid appropriate portions (with calorie criteria) and limiting nutrients to avoid (e.g. sodium, sugar, saturated fat, trans fat).

faline
11-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Hmmmm...do I want to eat healthy on vacation or will this tell me what to avoid so that I eat all the yummy, but bad for me things, I want to eat on vacation?? :D

ElenitaB
11-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Healthy can taste yummy too!

Fangorn
11-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Healthy can taste yummy too!

True, but only on alternate Thursdays. :D

Steve

Cass&KenziesMom
11-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Hmmmm...do I want to eat healthy on vacation or will this tell me what to avoid so that I eat all the yummy, but bad for me things, I want to eat on vacation?? :D

This is exactly what I was thinking! I'm on vacation! Plus I'll walk off those extra calories running after my 5 & 7 year olds. ;)

1DisneyNut
11-15-2012, 08:55 AM
This is great! It will make it so much easier to identify and skip over the things my kids won't eat....you know, just like the current school lunches kids won't eat and throw away. :ack: (Note: Tons of sarcasm)

BriarRose0708
11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
I think this is a really great step in the right direction. Yes, vacation is definitely the time to splurge, and I am on the boat with the rest of you (sometimes I am the captain of that boat, lol). However, how many times have we seen a thread or two here that discuss "food poisoning" or other digestive issues due to overeating unhealthy foods at WDW? It's definitely happened to me in the past and I made as conscious an effort as possible at iCOT15 to limit the rich foods normally not in my diet. I increased the salads, chose healthy proteins, held back on carbs as much as possible, and ate until I felt satisfied, not stuffed (although that was fairly impossible at 'Ohana!). I felt the best I ever had on a trip!

I don't have kids, but I can only assume the direction Disney is taking to promote healthy choices is as positive an example they can set. Of course it's not going to change lives but it may help guests enjoy their trips more if they're not running to the bathroom every hour or laying in bed with digestive cramps.

BrerGnat
11-15-2012, 02:00 PM
You can find the Mickey Check already on a lot of the Disney branded food items in the produce section of the supermarket. I just bought some Phineas and Ferb apple slice bags, complete with a Mickey Check. :D