PDA

View Full Version : Cat Issues- Crystal and UTIs- Any One Have Experience?

DVC2004
11-13-2012, 05:11 PM
I wondered if anyone has had this happen because I am getting conflicting info.

We adopted a cat last year, 2 years old, male, large. He is a probably 3 now but we don't know much about his past. He's been healthy and happy. Around labor day he was having trouble urinating and we took him the the animal ER. He wasn't blocked but had an imflammed bladder, gave him some antibiotics and some sort of muscle relaxer and he got better.

At the end of October I noticed the same issues and took him to our vet. They ran some tests and said he had a UTI and crystals were forming. They put him on prescription food, and gave more meds. On Fri I took him back for a check up, they tested his urine and he had a clean bill of health. On Monday, he was meowing in pain, straining and there was blood in his urine. Since it was before hours we took him to the animal ER and they said he was partially blocked and sent us back to the vet.

Vet says no, not blocked but still had a few crystals. Gave him an xray and a few tests, and sent him home again with more meds. Said the meds he already was on (from end of October visit) would dissolve the crystals and the new meds would relax his muscles so he wouldn't strain or hurt.

Well, today he is meowing and straining again. I really don't know what to do for him. I hate that he is in pain. We are giving him all his meds, prescription food, and following all instructions to a T. I don't know why he isn't getting better. Also we have spent $900 since early Sept. I don't know why this keeps recurring. Any one have any experience? The vet charged me again for Monday even after they told me on Friday he was better. I don't know what to do for him!!!

MNNHFLTX
11-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Aw, poor kitty! :(

First of all, you are doing everything you can to help your cat--so sorry that he is still having problems. A quick question--did they test the crystals to find out what they are composed of? That would be an important step in determining the proper diet. You may need to switch foods.

Also, I used to sprinkle a little cranberry supplement powder over my cat's wet food once a day to make his urine more acidic. Crystals don't tend to form as much in acidic urine.

Lastly, make sure that your kitty has water readily available. Some cats like to drink from a running water source, like a faucet, but you can also buy the cat-watering devices that recirculate the water, like a fountain.

Altair
11-13-2012, 06:38 PM
We are giving him all his meds, prescription food, and following all instructions to a T.

My daughter's male cat had the same problem and she did the same things you are doing. It took a few months for the problem to go away. It would get better then flair up again.:ill:

NJGIRL
11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I have been through this. First off ...get a new vet. I understand trying the meds and special food but it is not working. With this kind of illness , it is prone to happen again after you think you cured it. At this point he may need surgery. That's what it came down to with my cat.

BrowncatP
11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
I had a cat go through the same problem. Crystals causing a blockage. After being flushed out with an IV and medication, the cat was fine. I have been giving him special food ever since. Hills c/d dry food. No more problems. I agree, change vets. It should not keep happening.

DVC2004
11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
They said they are struvite crystals. He started on Hill's Sicence DIet W/D formula because he is a few pounds overweight as well. We's 18 pounds and he should be about 15 pounds, he's just a large cat. He is a mix but he appears as though he may be part Maine Coon. He gets a little bit of wet food each day too. I feel bad for him. And he hates the medicine. One is a pill we crush up in his food and he doesn't notice, but they gave us a liquid yesterday and he despises it. Very hard to get him to take it.

Well I will look into another vet. I just hate that he is hurting and not getting better. He has always been so playful and now you can just see he is not feeling good. He's definitely not himself. Thanks everyone. I just want him to get better.

Carol
11-13-2012, 09:31 PM
W/D food is for weight management. He should be on C/D food. Personally, I'd keep him on C/D for life. It's a bit more expensive - but worth it if you figure in vet bills and your cat's wellbeing. Once he has had this problem it can reoccur otherwise.

Sometimes it takes a stronger antibotic - something like Baytril. Did they change his meds?

I too would consult another vet. They will be able to go on all of the other tests already done. A second opinion is never a bad thing, especially when current treatment is not working.

Good luck.

JoF
11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
You could try placing the water bowl away from your cats usual feeding area - this has worked for my cat which we got about a year ago after agreeing to rehome it. She was constantly going to the vet with urinary infections as she didnt drink any water unless it was mixed in with the wet food.
Anyway we have moved her water bowl and we seem to have been successful as she now drinks from it!
Sometimes if cats have been neutered then urine infections can be a problem - you should be able to get food that helps with this.
Hope he feels better soon :mickey:

DVC2004
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks all. The Hills Science diet is supposed to be according to the bag and the Dr. for struvite crystals and weight management both. It's in the same line of the C/D food but also for overweight cats, which he is. But I will ask another vet about their opinion on it because it may then not be the best food for him. If C/D is best for this and not W/D we will happily switch.

He's not on Baytril... I don't have the meds here with me but that was not the name. I will check. One was with a PH, I think the other with a D. Sorry I am so bad with pharmaceutical names. I read them this morning and already forgot.One is a liquid we give every 12 hours for the muscle relaxation and the other is the pill he has been on since 10/26 to help dissolve the crystals I think. I am not sure why they wouldn't do an IV flush or something after all this time.

I'll try moving the water and also mixing with the wet food. He does drink water but probably not enough. He is neutered and a few pounds overweight so I am sure all of these things are contributing. Thanks again. I'm watching him and we will be getting another opinion.

DisneyDog
11-14-2012, 07:57 PM
My cat has the same problem. My vet doesn't want him to be on the dry prescription food. First of all the dry food is much more fattening than the wet food. Second, the wet food contains a lot of water, which helps this condition. My cat has been on the wet canned for for almost 2 years now, and he has lost quite a lot of weight. He is healthy now (knock on wood) after having a very severe case of crystals. He was almost 20 pounds and had a very bad blockage. We almost lost him. He stayed at the vet's office for almost a week before he was allowed to come home. He did have surgery to break up the blockage. You might want to discuss this with another veterinarian if you are not feeling comfortable with the one you are using.

Kathy Jetson
11-16-2012, 09:19 PM
I had a cat that got crystals a lot. They can become completely blocked in 24hrs and die so its important when you notice him having trouble to take him to the vet right away. My cat had it so bad they eventually had to remove his man parts (he was already fixed). Even after the operation the problem would still come back. He was a VERY expensive cat! I would think canned food would be better too. For dry food I used Purina special diet urinary tract food. I think when most cats get this it will be a recurring thing. Good luck! I hope you find the right combination that works for him!