PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Bakery

nicholsbears
11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
:santa: Just heard the Main St. Bakery was closing in Jan. and reopening as a Starbucks. Please say its not so. Theer is a Starbucks on virtually every street in America...but only one Main St. Bakery. mmmmm...the choc. chip cookies. I know this is a business decision by Disney; Starbucks is probably paying a small fortune for this location; but some things should be sacred. What's next ?...Citibank Tower of Terror ? Chase Haunted Mansion ? Not everyone is in love with Starbucks.

Stu29573
11-12-2012, 11:48 AM
:santa: Just heard the Main St. Bakery was closing in Jan. and reopening as a Starbucks. Please say its not so. Theer is a Starbucks on virtually every street in America...but only one Main St. Bakery. mmmmm...the choc. chip cookies. I know this is a business decision by Disney; Starbucks is probably paying a small fortune for this location; but some things should be sacred. What's next ?...Citibank Tower of Terror ? Chase Haunted Mansion ? Not everyone is in love with Starbucks.

While I agree that Starbucks is probably the closest thing we have to an invasion of brain eating fungus, all is not lost. It has been reported that the menue will keep Main Street's signiture items and the theming will not change much.

DisneyBunch
11-12-2012, 11:50 AM
+1......couldn't have said it better.:mickey:

cer
11-12-2012, 12:18 PM
It has been reported that the menue will keep Main Street's signiture items and the theming will not change much.

Where has this been reported? From what I have read, no one really knows if the signature items will stay..... :confused:

Bethis26fan
11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I love love love starbucks, but i don't want them to take away main street bakery, why can't it still be main street bakery now serving starbucks coffee.

elmjimmlm
11-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Why couldn't they build a new building for Starbucks? There is so much going in the new Fantasyland, why not there? Starbucks to me doesn't go with the theme of Main Street...This is a bad call for Disney!:(

bruin1344
11-12-2012, 01:12 PM
While I agree that Starbucks is probably the closest thing we have to an invasion of brain eating fungus, all is not lost. It has been reported that the menue will keep Main Street's signiture items and the theming will not change much.

Thats good about the signature items and theming. Hopefully they keep the bakery smell also.

Polynesian Dweller
11-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Why couldn't they build a new building for Starbucks? There is so much going in the new Fantasyland, why not there? Starbucks to me doesn't go with the theme of Main Street...This is a bad call for Disney!:(

How about Coke at Casey's across the street? Or Kodak when it sponsored the camera shop? Or Sara Lee when it sponsored the bakery on opening day of WDW? It's just a sponsor and there have been sponsors on Main St from the opening day of DL.

readytogo2
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
How about Coke at Casey's across the street? Or Kodak when it sponsored the camera shop? Or Sara Lee when it sponsored the bakery on opening day of WDW? It's just a sponsor and there have been sponsors on Main St from the opening day of DL.

if it says Main Street Bakery sponsored by Starbucks i have no problem .if it say Starbucks wont like it at all:mad:

JMTStone
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
When we get to the MK at park opening, one of our favorite things to do is get our fast pass, then head back to the bakery for breakfast. Sometimes, you get a show right out the window. .... "Ding Ding Ding goes the bell"

My husband just LOVED the french toast there but they haven't had that the past few times.

We get Cinnamon Roll, ham and cheese croissant, bagel, pastries, etc... then we all dig in. There's always enough for everyone to sample someone else's breakfast and to be honest... that day, we usually skip lunch.

Our family even got a Magic Cookie about the size of a pizza last time we were there. The cashier said she looked for a family of 4 each day and picked us one day. I'm sure a Barrista may not get that chance while making a Mocha Venti 1/2 soy 1/2 cream with cinnamon sprinkles (you can tell I only overhear this from movies) to be Disney Magic.

I will be truly saddened if they change this to Starbucks. I find Starbucks pastries' dry and tasteless. I don't mind putting the Starbucks coffee in there. But it will make the line even longer (and its already difficult). And if they change the offerings for bakery items, I'll be crushed.

Gator
11-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm thinking Disney should come out with a press release to clarify everything. MSB is such a beloved spot by so many, they need to ease the fears the passholders and regulars.

The other thing is this: if they wanted to bring in a coffe joint, why didn't the bring in a good one. Everything thing Starbucks makes tastes burnt and nasty. Anything else would be better, IMHO.

VWL Mom
11-12-2012, 07:11 PM
After rereading the Disney Food Blog, I still think they are going to mesh the two similar with what they did at DL. There they serve both Starbucks treats and Disney treats. The baristas are dressed Disney style to be in theme with the location they are in.

As far as the coffee, I'm looking forward to it and I know my kids will be on line for a mocha frappacchino.

Personally, I'm reserving judgement until more information is out.

Polynesian Dweller
11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
if it says Main Street Bakery sponsored by Starbucks i have no problem .if it say Starbucks wont like it at all:mad:

Check what they did at DCA and also think of Casey's Corner. In both cases, architecture that fits into the park with the sponsor's name as a form of plaque. At DCA there's a huge sign fir F,F &P Cafe/Bakery and much smaller Starbuck's signs. And look how small the Coke signs are on Casey's.

I don't think there's much worry about that one. The Starbuck's name will be there but the name will be Main St. Bakery. And, the coffee has to be better.

epceddie
11-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Very disappointed to hear about the Main Street Bakery closing in January. I WILL NOT be stopping by the new Starbucks. I can get Starbucks anywhere up here and it's nothing special. Overpiced and overrated in my opinion. The Main Street Bakey has a lot of character and charm. This is just another example of Disney losing touch with its hardcore customers - the people who come back year after year and look forward to stopping by places like the Main Street Bakery. They just don't care though and that takes away some of the magic. Walt liked to make a buck just like everyone else, but do you think HE would have done something like this?

PopPhan
11-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm thinking Disney should come out with a press release to clarify everything. MSB is such a beloved spot by so many, they need to ease the fears the passholders and regulars.

The other thing is this: if they wanted to bring in a coffe joint, why didn't the bring in a good one. Everything thing Starbucks makes tastes burnt and nasty. Anything else would be better, IMHO.

Have to agree 100%+ with you Gator!!!

I would much rather Seattle's Best, Dunkin Donuts, or so many other coffees over StarYucks!! Yes, I know they are the biggest and have a tremendous following, but that bitter, burnt flavor just turns me off...ALMOST as much as the Nesca*bleep* in the resorts....

kbean
11-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Hopefully this wont last long like when they brought mcDonalds into frontierland. I will not be getting coffee there.

Melanie
11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
but that bitter, burnt flavor just turns me off...

For me, the new blonde roast, 'Veranda', is a vast improvement. :thumbsup: Hopefully it will be offered at Disney.

steamboat willy
11-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Can you imagine all the Disney Folks that have not found their way to this site to read about this up-coming change and disruption to our lifestyle on Main Street USA. Next year they enter the turnstile, pass under the Train Station, head straight down the right side of Main Street towards the entrance to what USED to be Main Street Bakery and all they SMELL is over-priced coffee. Sorry....no chocolate croissants, no crumb cakes and no warm cinnamon rolls, ONLY to find Mocha', Latte's and a chicken sausage breakfast wrap. Now aren't they gonna be UPSET!

I'm so glad that in 27 and 30 and 33 days when we walk down Main Street USA, we can hang a right, right into the Main Street Bakery. Sad...but for the last time.

26 Days.......:santa::tree::santa:

DisneyDawgette
11-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Okay. I agree that changing it completely from the Main Street Bakery to a Starbucks is a bad call. But as crazy as we have seen Disney be in the past, I am pretty sure that no one in their right mind would completely remove a staple like TMSB and replace it with Starbucks. I'd be willing to bet it will be more of a Main Street Bakery/Starbucks hybrid than removing the bakery and its beloved snacks for good.

Trying to keep the faith. :thumbsup:

r4kids
11-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I love love love starbucks, but i don't want them to take away main street bakery, why can't it still be main street bakery now serving starbucks coffee.

I could not have said it better!!! I do love hot cocoa but I love Main Street bakery more!! I hope it stays the same, kinda feel like it was sold out....:confused:

Cheshire_Girl
11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Hopefully this wont last long like when they brought mcDonalds into frontierland. I will not be getting coffee there.

they do have a fabulous Hot Chai Latte...but sadly I won't be getting that there either...I had heard about the McDonalds fries-glad that was gone by the time I found the magic :)

For me it isn't even that they are adding a Starbucks, it is that all the verbage I have read seems to indicate that they are getting rid of the bakery in favor of the Star bucks. Now if it is Main Street Bakery, proudly serving Starbucks-then Woo Hoo!! Chai Latte here I come. I just don't see how replacing the bakery is a benefit to the integrity of Main Street itself. Starbucks, for me, is the epitome of mainstream...There is a Starbucks on every corner outside those magical gates. We don't need one on every "street corner" inside the Kingdom...
I understand that product sponsorship/placement brings in money, and Disney is after all a buiness, however there has to be a line you won't cross. Messing with Main Street should be that line. Walt's vision for Main Street USA was small town Americana, now every average street corner. :(

ransam
11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Usually I am on Disney's side in most of their decisions and while i may not always agree, i usually understand why they did it.

This is one that I'm not happy about at all. Serving Starbuck's Coffee fine, but if you change the vibe, the smell, the feel then it's a horrible decision.

Coke and Kodak make more sense as sponsors and fit in w/ the time table of when Main Street is supposed to be set, cause they are companies that have been around since the turn of the century, while Starbucks was created in 1971.

Goofster
11-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm in the crowd that thinks this will be a hybrid store. It will be updated to include the coffee area and will still serve the bakery goods.

KathyMO
11-13-2012, 01:43 PM
From todays Disney Blog:

UPDATE 11/12: Here’s some additional information about our Walt Disney World Resort Starbucks locations. The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items.

TheVBs
11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Good news! :mickey: I'm surprised they didn't offer that info in the initial announcement.

DizneyFreak2002
11-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Good news! :mickey: I'm surprised they didn't offer that info in the initial announcement.

WDW's marketing, well Disney's in general, is terrible... :)

IloveJack
11-14-2012, 10:35 AM
From todays Disney Blog:

UPDATE 11/12: Here’s some additional information about our Walt Disney World Resort Starbucks locations. The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items.

Also, on FB, it says "You can get the cinnamon rolls at Gaston's Tavern in the New Fantasyland and the ice cream sandwiches will be available at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor."
Sounds like I'll be walking right on down Main Street to the new Fantasyland to get my cinnamon roll!

Also, I wonder if this "addition" to the original snippet is due to backlash at the full replacement idea.

VWL Mom
11-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Also, I wonder if this "addition" to the original snippet is due to backlash at the full replacement idea.

I don't think it was ever going to be a full replacement, I think that was just an assumption. As I posted earlier, it was going to be set up similar to DL which mixed the old with the new.

MissMaryPoppins
11-14-2012, 04:56 PM

I agree! This makes the most sense to me and it's the best of both worlds.

Melanie
11-14-2012, 05:09 PM
I agree! This makes the most sense to me and it's the best of both worlds.

From about 3 posts up:

DisneyDawgette
11-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Called it! Hooray for Disney and poorly timed announcements! :thumbsup:

mechanic
11-15-2012, 04:43 AM

When was mcdonalds there? And where was it? I hadn't heard about before.

joonyer
11-15-2012, 12:30 PM
When was mcdonalds there? And where was it? I hadn't heard about before.

It was basically not much more than a Mcdonald's french fry cart. It was not a burger stand. It kind of looked like a miner's shack. It had a small golden arches logo on a small sign. It was located on the back street that connects Adventureland to Frontierland.

Kathy Jetson
11-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Also, on FB, it says "You can get the cinnamon rolls at Gaston's Tavern in the New Fantasyland and the ice cream sandwiches will be available at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor."
Sounds like I'll be walking right on down Main Street to the new Fantasyland to get my cinnamon roll!

I have read reviews online from people who have had the cinnamon rolls at Gastons and they say they are NOT the same. They say they are hard and have a different icing.

Terra
11-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I think I may be the only one who doesn't really mind all the various changes to Disney. It's still Disney World, my escape from reality. I'm good with that. :blush: