PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 vs iPad

Dsnygirl
11-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Looking for input on these two... I thought I wanted an iPad, primarily for the "exclusive" apps you can get through Apple. But only my daughter is an Apple person... she has an iPod Touch, and I HATE trying to help her with it. I hate using iTunes, and I don't like anything about how Apple controls their devices. I have had a Samsung Galaxy phone for almost 2 yrs and LOVE it... everything about it... except for the few apps/games I can't get.

So... I've been reading comparisons b/w the two, and most comparisons say what I already knew... iPad is faster, better visually... Samsung allows you more control and creativity for how you use your device and set it up.

Anybody care to give me more of a personal vote?? I am seriously leaning more towards the Samsung... I just can't buy into all the iPad hype... I don't like the lack of control, and I don't care about "retinal display" all that much. Android devices are intuitive to me, Apple is NOT by ANY stretch... I struggle greatly anytime I try to use one.

So... there it is... looking for everyone else's pros/cons...

:thanks:!!

DizneyRox
11-12-2012, 07:02 AM
The biggest advantage of the iDevice over an Android based device for me is support. Apple just recently dropped the iPad 1G in terms of firmware support. In laymans terms, that's the operating system. Since Apple controls the device hardware and software wise, it enables them to keep them up to date much easier.

Who updates and Android? Well, many different companies actually. It relies on Google to update the OS in a way that the manufacturer can create a build for their device along with drivers from the chip/devices they chose to use to enable all functionality on the tablet/phone.

All that and then you need to hope your manufacturer wants to update your device instead of an upgrade through forced obsolescence.

In my personal opinion, build quality has been many times better on Apple products over others. The fit and finish, aka polish, is a hands down win for Apple.

My iPhone 3G is still a decent device. I have no battery issues, screen is great, etc. it's a remote for my HTPC now, and rently pulled double duty as a GPS for a trip. My android table is in a pile at the bottom of a closet, I wouldn't even know if the battery as exploded inside.

My next phone may be an Android based phone, I'm somewhat leaning that way, but my next tabet WILL NOT be Android based. Maybe an iDevice, maybe a windows based, but no way, no how will it be Android.

SBETigg
11-12-2012, 10:37 AM
It sounds to me like you will be more comfortable with the Samsung. Sometimes, our comfort with a product trumps any actual tech superiority, if there is any. I know I love Apple products and I'm very happy with my iPad (also iPhone and MacBook Pro). But I think you should probably check out all options and go with what feels right for you.

Disney Doll
11-12-2012, 10:53 AM
My vote would be for the Note. My husband is a tech guy and we are an Andriod house using mostly Samsung devices so of course that's what I feel most comfortable with. My husband has the Note phone which I thought was ridiculous at first because of the size. The ability to write notes on it seemed like the kind of gimmicky thing that is cool for sure, but probably not that useful. However, I am eating my words. He actually does use the note taking feature all the time and it's a great device. I have to assume that more competitors will be coming out with their own version of the note taking capability because at this point it's a feature he won't give up. The only reason we haven't already upgraded to the Note tablet is because the original model was wifi only and we're holding out for the wifi-LTE version. We currently use a Motorola Xoom which we love and the 4G capability really comes in handy when I travel to conferences where wifi is paid at a premium for connectivity that probably isn't even worth having.

Now where I think Apple has the edge is that the devices are idiot proof. It's great for my parents, but as a younger person who has basically grown up with technology it's frustrating that Apple has made the decisions for me about how best to use the device. I prefer more control. It's a double edged sword because what I loath about Apple may very well be their biggest draw for other users. And the dumbing down doesn't necessarily equal intuitive. Like you I use a Galaxy phone and I find it far more intuitive than iphone.

1DisneyNut
11-12-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know what you will be using the tablet for so I will just throw some opinions out there.

Since most people use their tablet mostly for surfing the internet while having access to wi-fi, the kindle fire is an excellent choice. There are tons of apps available, many of which are free. The kindle fire is also inexpensive and it works really, really well. There is now also, the kindle fire HD that is a good choice.

Next, would be Google Nexus. I do not personally own one but I have used one and it worked really well and is intuitive like Android phones. Google has complete control over the hardware and Operating System for this device so it is well designed. This would probably be the one I considered the most.

Finally is the Samsung Galaxy. It gets great reviews and seems to work very well. Everyone I know that has one raves about it. I think it would be a great choice as well.

I agree with you completely on Apple and that is why I do not own any of their products other than an old iPod that I no longer use. I don't need an iPod since I can do the same thing with my android phone. I too, despise iTunes with a passion. Hate everything about it. I don't like how apple tries to control how and for what I will use their devices and I also don't like how they try to force you into using their app store. Plus I can get the Android version of almost any app for free and I never have any problems with them. Every time I use an apple product I find myself cussing before long so I guess you could say I am just simple not an iFan.

BrerGnat
11-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Blythe, we recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 after a simiar debate.

We are very pleased with the tablet, especially for the price!!! We picked it up at Costco for $189. Can't beat that. There is a 10 inch version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 as well. That one was $359 at Costco. If you don't really need the "note" (stylus) feature of a tablet, you might want to consider the Galaxy Tab 2. The only main difference between that and the Note 10.1 is a slightly faster processor, extra RAM, and the Stylus functionality.

I had an ipod Touch that I passed onto my kids when I got my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone. We wanted a tablet for the family, and I was torn between an ipad or an ipad mini, or a Samsung tablet. I also HATE iTunes. HATE IT. And, I hate how Apple manipulates and controls their users. I love that anything I purchase on the Google Play store can be instantly placed onto ANY of my compatible devices wirelessly through my internet browser. I love that I can have 50 Android devices and I only have to buy stuff ONCE, and I can share it with all my devices (not just three times, like Apple does). I love that I can add a $20 microSD card to expand my tablet's memory with an ADDITIONAL 32gb, making my tablet have 48GB memory. I can load up the sd card with all my kids favorite movies and videos and have an instant play library of favorites, and they don't need to be converted to some ridiculous proprietary format. I love that I can do a video chat with anyone who I want, and not just people who also have "facetime."

But, my favorite function of my Samsung Galaxy Tab is...the IR blaster and Samsung Peel Remote Control app that lets me control my cable box! It's so cool. Seriously...so cool. :thumbsup:

Overall, when I look at all I can do with my Galaxy Tab and everything it is as a package, compared to an ipad, for the price...it can't be beat.

Now, I will say, the new Google Nexus 10 inch tab looks SERIOUSLY amazing. We really wanted a 7 inch tablet, though, but if I ever decided to purchase a larger one, that one would be a serious contender. The only thing about the Google Nexus that I dislike is the non expandable memory. In my personal opinion, for an entertainment tablet, you really need at least 32gb memory. Too much is used up by the device itself (preloaded apps, system OS, etc.) that right out of the box, you are already using up about 4-5gb. The Nexus 10 is made by Samsung, though. I have to say, I find the quality of Samsung phones and tablets to be amazingly good.