PDA

View Full Version : Top Chef Seattle

AgentC
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Anyone watch the new Top Chef? What did you think?

It was interesting see the different tests the judges came up with but weirdly reminiscent of how the finalist for Food Network Star were chosen last year.

PirateLover
11-13-2012, 03:14 AM
I did not like Tom's challenge. To me, that was more reminiscent of other cooking shows. They are not trying to be Tom's line cook or sous-chef. They want to be Top Chef based on their own abilities and ideas. Yes, you need to ensure contestants can handle the basics... but I wonder how people who lack such skills even make it into contention. Just on personality alone?

Emril's soup, Wolfgang's omelet, and Hugh's "beautiful salad" were all much better in my opinion. This is another way to test basic skill but allowing the contestants to prove themselves through a finished product instead.

By the way, I think Wolfgang is a hoot and I'm glad he's been brought on as a judge.

Melanie
11-13-2012, 07:52 AM
So, returning Cheftestants. Boo. Why can't they just leave it alone. I didn't like Stefan at all, and don't even remember the other two.

JanetMegan
11-13-2012, 09:17 AM
I haven't started watching off the dvr yet, actually I'm, still trying to finish up Top Chef Masters from this summer ha ha (which I have really been enjoying!) I like it so much when they play for charity!

tinkwest
11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
So, returning Cheftestants. Boo. Why can't they just leave it alone. I didn't like Stefan at all, and don't even remember the other two.

Hmm. I'm not following. Did I miss something? Are there some competitors from previous seasons? Perhaps I'm misreading your comments.

TheDuckRocks
11-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Hmm. I'm not following. Did I miss something? Are there some competitors from previous seasons? Perhaps I'm misreading your comments.

They have been running ads of 3 past losers coming back to join the group - Stephan, Josie and can'r remember who the third one is.
I don't like this twist at all, just wonder if maybe they might make them "earn" their way back on.

AgentC
11-15-2012, 10:29 AM
They have been running ads of 3 past losers coming back to join the group - Stephan, Josie and can'r remember who the third one is.
I don't like this twist at all, just wonder if maybe they might make them "earn" their way back on.

I missed those ads so I hadn't heard they were coming back. I watched last night. It didn't really bother me as much as make think "why". I don't get the point and think it takes away from us getting to know the new chefs.

PirateLover
11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
It didn't bother me quite as much as I thought it would either. It seems random though. I didn't like the "last chance kitchen" from last season either. One thing I think I missed though-are they going to continue to cook in these "teams?" In the previews for next week it looked like they still had the different colored aprons on.

Dopey's Girl
11-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I really don't like the idea of having Stephan back. He annoyed the you know what out of me. Just didn't like him one bit!

This is still my favorite show though. I have a huge crush on Tom. I think he's hilarious!

tinkwest
11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
I was sorry to see Kuniko go. She seemed to have a lot of potential and was interesting, IMO. Why couldn't it have been Carla who packed her knives?! Don't know how much more of her and her hair-in-the-eyes I can stand.

luvdiznee
12-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I loved the first episode of Top Chef Seattle. But I also do love this show...;)

mainemajor
12-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Top Chef is so much fun although often I tink they keep chefs because of the drama they bring as much as their cooking ability. Jose can go home anytime now, she is simply annoying.

Dopey's Girl
01-05-2013, 09:24 AM
How is Josie still around?! Really don't like her!!

coloradowendyl
01-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Can't stand Josie!
Like Micah and I think Brooke has potential!

I was very glad to see that Lizzie beat out John. I was getting sick of seeing him standing there with his glasses on his forehead and a smirk!

AgentC
01-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Can't stand Josie!
Like Micah and I think Brooke has potential!

I was very glad to see that Lizzie beat out John. I was getting sick of seeing him standing there with his glasses on his forehead and a smirk!

:ditto:

Hopefully Josie will go next!

tinkwest
01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
DD and I cheered when whiny John and his glasses left the game.

Are people watching Last Chance Kitchen?

Melanie
01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
DD and I cheered when whiny John and his glasses left the game.

Are people watching Last Chance Kitchen?

Oh yeah, me too Linda, although I didn't find him horrible, horrible like some others in the past. He seems a bit, um, broken? I'm not sure what the exact word is I'm looking for.

Funny thing, I have no interest in LCK. None. I go peek and see who is still in, but that's it.

tinkwest
01-05-2013, 03:12 PM
...I have no interest in LCK. None. I go peek and see who is still in, but that's it.

I watch on occasion. For instance when Carla went there earlier in the season I had to watch just to give myself the peace of mind that there was no way she was coming back.

mainemajor
01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Thank goodness no more Josie:party:

tinkwest
01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Thank goodness no more Josie:party:

:ditto::exactly:

Niecyboo
01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Did anybody notice the "save your favorite chef" vote between Josie and CJ? Cj had more than 90% of the votes. LOL

Was so mad to see Josie throw Kristen under the bus. It seems like this season it's better to be a mediocre chef that makes lots of mistakes than a great chef who makes one. As much as I do like the people left, and they are good chefs, it seems all the best chefs have already been sent off.

I've been watching Last Chance kitchen too just to make sure at least one of my favorites will come back.

tinkwest
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Did anybody notice the "save your favorite chef" vote between Josie and CJ? Cj had more than 90% of the votes. LOL

Yes, that was quite amusing. :laughing:

PirateLover
01-31-2013, 07:03 PM
I never have agreed with the competition shows like this where you start building up a reputation for good food, and someone else keeps skirting by, then you have one bad week and you're out! I think it should be a cumulative thing. No way Josie should've lasted as long as she did!

mainemajor
02-01-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm surprized Josie got even that many votes. Sooner or later bacon boy will not be able to use bacon/pork. How/what will he cook then???? Just asking. Surprized non of the judges have mentioned this yet.

Does anyone know when LCK winner will be back in the Top Chef Kitchen?

AgentC
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
I never have agreed with the competition shows like this where you start building up a reputation for good food, and someone else keeps skirting by, then you have one bad week and you're out! I think it should be a cumulative thing. No way Josie should've lasted as long as she did!

I am with you on this. I really enjoy Top Chef but there have been too many times when a great chef gets dumped for one mistake while a consistently mediocre chef survives.

Niecyboo
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
They are saying the winner of Last Chance Kitchen will be in the finale. What I am wondering is when the chef that the viewers has "saved" comes back in to the game. Will they be challenging the Last Chance Kitchen winner or actually going back on the show?

tinkwest
02-01-2013, 04:53 PM
... What I am wondering is when the chef that the viewers has "saved" comes back in to the game. Will they be challenging the Last Chance Kitchen winner or actually going back on the show?

I was wondering that myself. I'm guessing that they get a second chance in Last Chance Kitchen. Totally a guess.

PirateLover
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
mainemajor, I'm with you. I'm so over bacon boy and his little mustache. He is very condescending towards others but he can't make anything without bacon! I love bacon as much as anyone, of course it makes everything taste better.Cook without bacon, man!

Melanie
02-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Josh doesn't bother me. Really, no one has this season, of course with the exception of Josie.

I'm in for Brooke for the win. Time for another woman to win!

Dopey's Girl
02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Josh doesn't bother me. Really, no one has this season, of course with the exception of Josie.

I'm in for Brooke for the win. Time for another woman to win!

Brooke has my vote too, though I really like Sheldon too! I was so very, very happy to lose Josie. She's awful!

Melanie
02-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I like Sheldon too!

TheDuckRocks
02-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I am not going to say who I want to win as he will be shown the at once, but it's not the bacon king.:secret:

PirateLover
02-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Josh doesn't annoy me nearly as much as Josie did, I just think he is too full of himself. I also like Brooke for the win.

mainemajor
02-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Josh doesn't annoy me as much as the fact he always uses pork/bacon. It's not uncommon for chefs to use what they do at their regular restaurants, but in past years the judges have always commented about it in one way or another. Surprised by the lack luster effort & quality of food put out by Stephan this year. On his first season he was full of himself and backed it up with great cooking. Not the case this year.

Niecyboo
02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
And the winner of Last Chance Kitchen is......not going to be announced until next week's show. Can't wait to see who made it.

TheDuckRocks
02-15-2013, 11:42 AM
I am very pleased with the final two. I'm pretty sure Brooke will win, although I really like Sheldon. I'm not a big fan of the Last Chance Kitchen element and no matter who is brought back I'll be cheering on the other two.

PirateLover
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
I am also not a big fan of last chance kitchen, but if it's Kristen, I think of all the ones eliminated she showed the most promise and had a lot of unique dishes and skills that others didn't.

I also like both Sheldon and Brooke, but I'm glad that Josh is gone. The whole baby story was starting to play to my heartstrings a bit, and I was prepared for him to come out and kill it... then he served a dish that he ADMITTED takes DAYS to prepare correctly. To me, that is not taking a risk, that is plain ol' stupid! And that's pretty much how the judges felt.

There was really no drama in that decision. They had a perfectly cooked dish from Brooke that got raves (Only Wolfgang's seemed overdone), an over salted dish from Sheldon (whose dish was otherwise cooked perfectly), or a dish that failed because it had an element that was made incorrectly from start to finish. Had Josh left that torchon off the plate, Sheldon would've went home for the salt.

Melanie
02-28-2013, 07:39 AM
In the end, I found myself pulling for Brooke, but not disappointed at all with Kristin's win.

The finale was cool, with the audience and all the past winners there. Talk about pressure! I didn't like how though, by paying attention to the time left in the show, it was obvious Kristin was winning.

tinkwest
02-28-2013, 08:52 AM
The finale was cool, with the audience and all the past winners there. Talk about pressure! I didn't like how though, by paying attention to the time left in the show, it was obvious Kristin was winning.

DD and I agree 100%. Keep the live venue, lose the scoring system.

Melanie
02-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Oh, and perhaps another foreshadowing on the winner - getting a little recap on Brooke and Kristin's 'road to the finale'. Brooke already had her's on her home visit, as well as Sheldon, but since neither of them won.....

PirateLover
02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I agree about the lack of suspense with how much time was left in the episode. I would've rather they cooked all the rounds, and the winner be revealed in the end per usual. They could still do it in front of a live audience, but having each judge vote on the spot is just the total opposite of how the show normally works. You didn't have as much of a discussion between them and see them fight for why one dish was better than another. It was too quick. It felt like more like "Chopped" than "Top Chef."

AgentC
02-28-2013, 06:45 PM
I agree about the lack of suspense with how much time was left in the episode. I would've rather they cooked all the rounds, and the winner be revealed in the end per usual. They could still do it in front of a live audience, but having each judge vote on the spot is just the total opposite of how the show normally works. You didn't have as much of a discussion between them and see them fight for why one dish was better than another. It was too quick. It felt like more like "Chopped" than "Top Chef."

I agree too. I didn't watch it until today on my DVR, but it was so obvious. I knew Brooke was going to win the second course since she had lost the first course. The time at the end made it obvious that Kristen was the overall winner. I did like the competition cooking part.

I am happy with Kristen as the winner because she is an excellent chef but I did feel bad for Brooke. The judges made a bad call in the episode where they let Kristen go instead of Josie. In a way I think it hurt everyone. I didn't feel as much of a connection with Kristen because she was no longer on the air and the other competitions could be have been different if she had been there.

Melanie
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I saw that Tom tweeted the other day that he didn't like the live format either, so hopefully it doesn't return.