PDA

View Full Version : Sad times for my hospital....

Dsnygirl
11-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Woke up this morning to find out that a number of my friends had been let go at work... I am a Labor & Delivery nurse, and have worked alongside some of the best LPNs in the business since I was hired. Our hospital just let ALL of our LPNs go, with no notice... as well as almost all our secretaries, and quite a few "charge nurse" positions. :( :( The LPNs I worked with all had 20-25 yrs or more at the hospital, as did the charge nurses... SO very sad.

Over the past few weeks, a number of management people had been let go... but we had been told they were fired for performance issues. Now the hospital is saying it "proactively let go extraneous management positions"... does NOT make you feel safe when stories and reasons bounce around like that!!

There WERE rumblings of layoffs coming, but the assumption was non-nursing... esp on our floors, as Labor & Delivery/postpartum is our biggest, busiest unit, and it's only getting busier. Sometimes to the point that staffing isn't really even safe. :confused: We do have a union, so some of these people will be able to "bump" lower seniority people and keep their jobs, but it still means other nurses will then be let go... so just not easy, no matter what.

NOT a fun thing to wake up to... I know it is happening all across the country, and has been going on for years now... but somehow, esp in nursing, you feel safe... but I guess in this day and age, no one is. :pout:

AgentC
11-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Oh Blythe. I am so sorry. It is so hard to see the people you have worked with for years let go.
Two years ago my company let my entire team of 10 go. This was after my boss had been let go the previous year along with multiple people in our department. Even though I still had a job it was incredibly painful for me to see them go. :(

:hug: I'm thinking of you.

mariak
11-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine letting nurses go! :confused:
You (and your former co-workers) will definitely be in my prayers!

Hang in there!...and try to have a happy birthday!! :cake: :birthday:

Maria

SBETigg
11-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, I know it's happening in a lot of hospitals, but I'm sure it hurts when it's yours! I want to believe that things are getting better but then this happens. I'm sorry, Blythe.

Nascfan
11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry Blythe. Never a good thing when your brothers and sisters at work are let go. It also seems like the hospital may be opening to themselves up to some lawsuits if they get too short-staffed and something goes wrong later.

Hang in there. :hug:

Dopey's Girl
11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Well that is a cruddy birthday present!

So sorry Blythe.:(

medic9016
11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
One of the hospitals we transport to just did the same to all their LPNs. Great nurses we have worked with and trusted to take our patients from us 15 years.

Mickey'sGirl
11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I think it is almost worse to be one of the ones left behind .... so sorry about your friends and co-workers.

Melanie
11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Very sorry to hear this Blythe. :(

IwannabeinNarnia
11-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm also sorry to hear this. Of all professions out there you would think the medical profession would be one of the 'safest' as EVERYONE needs doctors and nurses. Sending good thoughts your way.

TiggeRia
11-09-2012, 04:33 PM
My hospital "let go" of all our LPNs several years ago. We also just lost another ten nurses due to downsizing and have basically been on a hiring freeze for years. This seems to be the trend that most hospitals are taking and I think it is only going to get worse.

RedSoxFan
11-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Sorry to hear Blythe.
I saw on the news today about the hospital laying off more workers.
:(

vilewmn
11-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Blythe, my thoughts are with you and your colleagues. After being an RN at the same facility for almost 30 years, I (and about 100 of my colleagues) were laid off after the facility was purchased by a "health care system" that decided that "the community will be better served by a free standing surgery center" than a hospital. I was out of work about 3 months before I was offered my present position. I am advising all the LPNs I know to get their RN. These are very talented and skilled practitioners. I also advise all RNs to diversify, gain as many skills as they can and pursue advanced degrees, if they are able. This will make them more marketable. Nursing has changed sooo much. Do more with less. We are no longer in a profession that offers stable employment. But...there is a life after layoffs. I didn't believe it at the time, but it is true. Hang in there.

Janmac
11-11-2012, 10:04 AM
This seems to be the trend that most hospitals are taking and I think it is only going to get worse.

I also advise all RNs to diversify, gain as many skills as they can and pursue advanced degrees, if they are able. This will make them more marketable.

My sister works at a university hospital here in Missouri as coordinator of surgical supplies. It seems insane the people that are "let go" to keep costs down. It did help some of the ones let go to have diverse skills.
Even though my sister is the only one managing the inventory for the entire surgical department, she does not feel that her job is secure. Crazy work environment.

Good luck Dsnygirl. We'd like to think our hospitals are safe, especially in Labor & Delivery.

Jan

MNNHFLTX
11-11-2012, 01:29 PM
So sorry to hear about this, Blythe. The hospital I work at let go all the LVN's (equivalent of an LPN) just a few months prior to my hiring six years ago and I know many of them were very experienced and well-respected. Healthcare has become a very discouraging environment to work in--they keep squeezing the nurses and other employees to do more with less in the same amount of time. The stress and the liability of it all was the main reason that I finally switched to a non-bedside position after 26 years. Anyway, I can imagine how difficult and sad this is for you and all your colleagues. :(

princessgirls
11-11-2012, 11:17 PM
So sorry Blythe. It's just awful news, and makes going to work really hard.

This economy is not good. I have grave concerns. The Ax came down at my job, my hours were cut, and 2 people were laid off. Lots of tears for our small staff of 12.

Prayers that things turn around!
Julie:mickey:

Dsnygirl
11-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Tonight is my first night back since I heard the news, and apparently on Wed or Thurs they are laying off 40-50 more employees... :( ... I don't see how they can really take more nurses, we are running so short as it is... so the assumption is that it will be ancillary staff at this point.

The most frustrating part? They just hired 19 new physicians, to bring in more revenue. Understandable... EXCEPT the part that they're decreasing the nurses available to care for these patients. Scary stuff. :nono:

Mousefever
11-13-2012, 03:58 AM
How in the world can they justify bringing in 19 new physicians when they have fired the support staff out from under them??? That makes no sense to me. It's been my understanding that many nursing staffs are stretched to the breaking point already!

Let us know what happens Wed./Thurs. :(

Amy

Melanie
11-13-2012, 07:48 AM
The most frustrating part? They just hired 19 new physicians, to bring in more revenue. Understandable... EXCEPT the part that they're decreasing the nurses available to care for these patients. Scary stuff. :nono:

Wow. :(

Janmac
11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
The most frustrating part? They just hired 19 new physicians, to bring in more revenue.

Yes - at the hospital my sister works at they are also bringing in new surgeons - with all the new equipment these doctors want to use. At the same time the general amount spent on inventory is under scrutiny.

Interestingly, one of the new doctors has moved to the States from Canada. He has no special requests and seems puzzled at the idea of being able to demand a particular suture, etc.

Jan

MNNHFLTX
11-13-2012, 01:33 PM
How in the world can they justify bringing in 19 new physicians when they have fired the support staff out from under them??? That makes no sense to me. It's been my understanding that many nursing staffs are stretched to the breaking point already! It's like I said--they expect you to do more with less in the same amount of time. And the people who lose out in the long run are not just the employees but the patients as well. :(