PDA

View Full Version : Netflix or Hulu plus

Katzateer
11-07-2012, 08:50 AM
We have had Netflix for a few years- we pay for both the live stream and the movies that are mailed. It used to be cheaper but now we pay almost twice as much for both services.

Is Hula Plus a better choice? I like the tv show choices but can you get recent release movies with this? I dont want to pay for both but I could watch the 2nd season of Downtown Abbey if I get Hula!

Scott C
11-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Surely someone can comment on this as I am wondering the same thing.

Thanks
Scott C

Capt_redshirt
11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't think hulu + is where you'll want to look for movies... unless you like documentaries, foreign films or older movies. A lot of the money that they charge for their premium service goes to the TV networks to keep them happy. I know it takes a while to get certain TV shows on Netflix this is because they make deals with the networks and movie companies. I hope this helps in your decision. I have Netflix and use hulu for recent shows (before it becomes a premium episode)

DizneyRox
11-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Neither serves my need... Streaming content just isn't the direction I want to go in. I like the on demand aspect, however with ISPs capping service at pretty low amounts, using it as a alternative to cable isn't working. But that's he plan.

I cut the cord over a year ago and my DVR cup still runneth over.

Katzateer
11-20-2012, 09:28 AM
I don't think hulu + is where you'll want to look for movies... unless you like documentaries, foreign films or older movies. A lot of the money that they charge for their premium service goes to the TV networks to keep them happy. I know it takes a while to get certain TV shows on Netflix this is because they make deals with the networks and movie companies. I hope this helps in your decision. I have Netflix and use hulu for recent shows (before it becomes a premium episode)

Thanks. I don't think I will switch. My daughters are happy with the instant play Netflix and if I can't get a good assortment of new movies it doesn't sound like it would be worth the change.

Epc0tphr34k
12-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I have both services streaming only. I find neither to be particularly great for newer movies unless you are in Canada. When I go to visit my inlaws up there I notice Netflix tends to have more newer movies. My biggest issue with hulu plus is i find shows tend to go "web only" either mid season or shortly after this season. This is frustrating because to me if I am paying for something, I shouldn't be blacked out of it where as people that just go to hulu.com can view it without paying a dime.

BrerGnat
12-05-2012, 08:12 AM
There will always be a lag until newer movies are available for streaming. It's something like 90 days from the time it's released on DVD. That is some sort of contractual thing with the studios/distributors because they want people to go out and actually purchase the discs rather than watch them streaming.

I personally really like Netflix. It has more than enough content to keep us all happy, and we are okay with waiting awhile until stuff is available to stream. Just find something else to watch in the meantime. And, if we really want to watch something sooner, we just get the disc via mail.

Ramblingman
12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
We have Roku and subscribe to both Netflix and Hulu Plus, along with some other channels. It's a great alternative to network or satellite TV.

Aurora
12-11-2012, 06:52 PM
We have streaming-only Netflix and I'm also very happy with Amazon Prime free instant videos. There's some overlap between the two, but not for all the shows I like to watch. For example, Netflix streams The King's Speech, but on Amazon you have to pay for it, and Amazon Prime has the entire West Wing series for free and Netflix doesn't stream it, etc.

You can watch Amazon prime videos on XBox too.

When I was researching HuluPlus I didn't find the content compelling enough for me to pay for.

MargaretMessler
12-12-2012, 03:36 AM
I have had netflix streaming for a long time, and am pretty happy with the selection. I tried a free trial of hulu plus and found it more difficult to navigate, and couldn't find much I wanted to watch there. Definitely nothing for movies.

If I want something newer, I just go to Amazon Instant Watch or to Redbox, both of which get movies quicker than netflix. Yeah, you pay, but $1-$3 is better than the theater or what blockbuster used to charge.

I don't find the delay time from theater/DVD to mass rental markets a big deal because anything I "can't wait to see", I probably have already splurged and gone to the theater.

Flower
12-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I have both services streaming only. I find neither to be particularly great for newer movies unless you are in Canada. When I go to visit my inlaws up there I notice Netflix tends to have more newer movies. My biggest issue with hulu plus is i find shows tend to go "web only" either mid season or shortly after this season. This is frustrating because to me if I am paying for something, I shouldn't be blacked out of it where as people that just go to hulu.com can view it without paying a dime.

That's interesting. I live in Canada and I don't find Netflix offers us much - I renew my membership when we are in the US and cancel it once our vacation is over. I find Netflix USA offers so many more choices than in Canada. I don't even think we can get Hulu in Canada, never heard of it before!

DizneyRox
12-29-2012, 09:56 AM
That's interesting. I live in Canada and I don't find Netflix offers us much - I renew my membership when we are in the US and cancel it once our vacation is over. I find Netflix USA offers so many more choices than in Canada. I don't even think we can get Hulu in Canada, never heard of it before!
A VPN located in the USA would allow you to watch the US version of Netflix. I did that for the Olympics, got a VPN in the UK and watched real coverage online through the BBC not the watered down version most Americans got to watch.