PDA

View Full Version : New safari area

ThanxForNoticin
11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
It was interesting doing the safari over the weekend at AK. The new zebra area is now open. Quite a different look and feel to the end of the safari without the poachers and the geysers of water flying around the truck! But we enjoyed the zebras - they have quite a few of them there.

faline
11-05-2012, 12:35 PM
There are quite a few there but, somehow, I thought the area would be larger?!

BriarRose0708
11-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I liked it but also thought those Zebras looked very cramped in there. I know nothing about Zebras, so maybe that's how they like it? :confused:

SBETigg
11-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I expected more somehow. The approach to the area is uneventful, and you're suddenly right there. It's fine, I just expected some fanfare or a wow moment, and not just suddenly, oh, zebras. There were actually fewer than I expected, and it seemed slightly cruel to hear a gun noise in the background startling them toward the oncoming safari vehicle (it could have been a fluke, or there's a timed noise in the area to keep them moving). It was cool to see them charging at us, running alongside the vehicle, and across the road, but... I was left feeling vaguely unsettled for them. It seems off somehow.

I don't know what I expected, exactly, but it's Disney so... okay, yes, I expected a spiel leading up to zebras and the area, and then turning a corner to a wondrous open plain of hundreds of them grazing and cavorting. Silly, I know. I wanted a breathtaking moment, and instead it was just kind of cool.

azcavalier
11-06-2012, 08:43 AM
The geysers are gone? :(

So, have they completely taken out the whole bit with the guy on the radio calling things in? How has the story changed?

Zawadi
11-06-2012, 09:34 AM
The geysers are gone? :(

So, have they completely taken out the whole bit with the guy on the radio calling things in? How has the story changed?

The entire little red, poachers and simba-one storyline has been dropped.

The only narration from the driver is with respect to the animals and the savanah landscape.

waymickey
11-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I it seemed slightly cruel to hear a gun noise in the background startling them toward the oncoming safari vehicle (it could have been a fluke, or there's a timed noise in the area to keep them moving). It was cool to see them charging at us, running alongside the vehicle, and across the road, but... I was left feeling vaguely unsettled for them. It seems off somehow.

I hope this was just a fluke and not something that Disney has done to create an effect with live animals. That would be very uncool.

faline
11-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I hope this was just a fluke and not something that Disney has done to create an effect with live animals. That would be very uncool.

Perhaps a vehicle backfired? When we went through the zebra area, we did not hear any noise that would scare the animals. The zebras in the area were rather passively standing around.

SBETigg
11-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Perhaps a vehicle backfired? When we went through the zebra area, we did not hear any noise that would scare the animals. The zebras in the area were rather passively standing around.

Good! I'm going to believe it was a fluke, something backfiring. I want to go back and ride again just to be sure, but I don't think I'll be able to pull that off for a while. :)

kakn7294
11-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Good! I'm going to believe it was a fluke, something backfiring. I want to go back and ride again just to be sure, but I don't think I'll be able to pull that off for a while. :)

Come cheer on the Beaver Area Marching Band in April! We could ride it together.

ThanxForNoticin
11-06-2012, 12:31 PM

I agree. We witnessed no gunshot, loud noise, or anything to intentional disturb the animals. I really don't think that's something the keepers would allow to happen. The zebras were calm and minding their own business when we went by. The most proactive thing I believe Disney will do with the animals is to put food out at strategic points to get them more visibility.

Mitzie
11-06-2012, 02:17 PM
We were just on the new safari a little over a week ago and we did not hear any loud noices either. Zebras were all pretty sedate. What we did see that even our driver commented on was something spooked some Tommies or some other similar animal and they went running break neck right infront of our vehicle..What made it interesting was that this happened right as we were approaching the cheetahs and all 3 girls were right up front and paying very close attention..Dh loved this since the 3 girls are normally hard to see..one was even pacing back and forth and you could tell she wanted to run.

PopPhan
11-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Come cheer on the Beaver Area Marching Band in April! We could ride it together.

My sister and her partner live in Beaver and their daughter goes to Beaver Area Senior High!!!! They have their own business there - k & t's confections.....

SBETigg
11-06-2012, 05:30 PM

That would be so fun! Wish I could.

Thanks for the confirmations that the noise during my safari was a fluke. It didn't seem to be up to Disney standards to do something like that intentionally. I feel much better. Though, I still wish it were a grander exit scene.

azcavalier
11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
The entire little red, poachers and simba-one storyline has been dropped.

The only narration from the driver is with respect to the animals and the savanah landscape.

Oh, man! What about the african radio station music? Do we still have that at least?

This morning, my DD 7 was trying to explain the ride to her friend at the bus stop. She was telling all about the "robbers" and the baby elephant. I had to tell her all of that was gone. Her face fell, and she uttered a soft, "oh". I told her the ride was still there, with all the animals and more, but it was no longer a story when we helped catch the animal poachers. She's still disappointed.

Stu29573
11-07-2012, 10:12 AM
You know, I was in the minority (seems to be happening more and more these days) but I was never thrilled about all of the effects being removed at the end. It may have been a bit tired and campy, but at least it gave a story to the attraction. Now we have a glorified Lion Country Safari. Yawn. Animals are cool and all, but I want more.... Oh well, its not about me, I guess.

Granny Jill A
11-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I always thought the safari needed more animals and less speeding through the attraction. I wish there was a walking option with paths and viewing platforms for those of us who want a closer look.

I know about paying extra for the Sunrise Safaris, but....

Ed
11-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I always thought the safari needed more animals and less speeding through the attraction. I wish there was a walking option with paths and viewing platforms for those of us who want a closer look.

I know about paying extra for the Sunrise Safaris, but....

There is a walking/platform option - - Wild Africa Trek (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/wild-africa-trek/). It's pricy, but looks like a great experience.

ThanxForNoticin
11-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Oh, man! What about the african radio station music? Do we still have that at least?

We did still get a few minutes of the Aftican radio station music - but no more "interactions" with Wilson.

Granny Jill A
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM
There is a walking/platform option - - Wild Africa Trek (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/wild-africa-trek/). It's pricy, but looks like a great experience.

Wow! Do you know how much it is? I clicked on the link, but didn't spot the price.

Zawadi
11-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Wow! Do you know how much it is? I clicked on the link, but didn't spot the price.

Depending on the season, Wild Africa Trek is around the $200 per person mark.

We went on it in in Sept. A fantastic 3 hour tour! So much so that we're tempted to do it again in Dec 2013.