PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe/ Moderate or Value?

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I was wondering what do you think you would rather do go to a Deluxe or Moderate resort and not go to Disney World as much or go to a Value and visit Disney World more often?

Disney Hungarian
11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
It was an easy decision for me. I have gone to WDW so far 7 times this year and have only 35 days till my next visit. I chose Values.

KatrinaJ91
11-04-2012, 09:44 PM
We love the Values and have no problem staying at any of them...especially since it means more nights that we can stay!
:cloud9:

Airblue1
11-04-2012, 09:54 PM
B/c of timing we need to the most of the limited amounts of days so Deluxe for us.

A Big Kid
11-05-2012, 06:48 AM
No way. I mean NO way would I ever stay at a value again. Just NO WAY!

My wife and I are 60/40 deluxe to moderate visitors.

We tired All Stars way back when it opened. Unfortunately, we forgot how much we didn't like it and tried POP in 2010. Never again.

It's loud. The food court is chaos. The rooms are small. Amenities are lacking from the beds to the toilet paper.

When we come back from the parks,we want to relax. For us, thats and impossibility.

We know we could have longer trips is we stated at the values, but we don't even consider it.

BigRedDad
11-05-2012, 07:31 AM
It all depends on how you want to spend your money and time. I can only afford one big vacation a year. That is a personal choice. In 20 years, my government is not going to take care of me when I plan to retire, so I have to be sure I do it myself. In order to achieve that, I have to cut corners now. So, it is not worth $1000 more for a week long vacation to stay at a Deluxe resort. The only reason I am staying at a moderate this next trip is the price came it at the same price of the value resort we had booked previously. The reduction was due to moving the dates out of peak season and only over 1 weekend.

I will not stay at the AS resorts again. Nothing wrong with the resort itself, just the buses. 1:15 minutes to get to AK was ridiculous. Other than that, my DD and I had a blast at the resort and parks.

Butters
11-05-2012, 08:23 AM
As our family keeps growing... Now up to two kids 2yo and a 2 week old we decided we no longer want to deal with the congestion of the values. When it was just me and my wife we would be on the first bus out and last bus back so the values made sense since it was just a bed to sleep in.

Our last trip we went back to moderates and that was better, but we sat down and crunched the numbers and purchased DVC so now we won't have to worry about resorts in the future.

1DisneyNut
11-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I am with "A Big Kid" who posted earlier.

I will never, ever, ever under any circumstances stay in a value again. I would rather not even go to WDW and would go somewhere else before I would ever stay in a value again. I don't know who the bone head was that made the decision to build those resorts facing the sun and put the bus stop on that side but whoever it was, I wish they made him go out there every morning and wait for a bus.

For us the biggest annoyance about the All Star value resorts is standing in the blazing sun in the morning waiting forever on a bus. You are half sun burned and soaked with sweat before you even get on the bus. I cannot articulate how much we hate that.

Then you have the small cheap hotel rooms that at best are comparable to a $49 per night comfort inn. In the past I have stayed in much nicer comfort inns but it has been years since I would even stay in one of them either.

Then you have the people and the chaos. Its just not my type of crowd and I don't care for the atmosphere. To be honest, I can't think of anything we really like about any of the value resorts.

We actually stayed offsite at a real nice resort this past summer and it was one of the best trips we ever had. We are considering staying offsite again on our next trip but we drive down so we have a car to get where we need to be so this isn't a feasible option for everyone.

buzznwoodysmom
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
I would rather have to space our trips out a bit farther and stay moderate or deluxe than to stay at the values.

The value resorts just don't work for us. We've stayed in them in the past, but staying at ASMusic for one night this past Aug. reminded me why we quit staying at the values. Rooms too small, bedding not comfortable, even towels and toilet paper of poor quality. Loud, loud, loud EVERYWHERE it seemed.

I guess if it were truely just a place to sleep and shower I would consider a value (maybe), but we like to spend time at our resort. Being at a deluxe, or even a moderate, is more comfortable for us when spending time at the resort.

SBETigg
11-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm a deluxe fan, but I had my first stay at a value (POP) and it was a lot of fun. I can't say I wouldn't do it again. The beds, not that comfortable, the room, small (but I was alone). But bus service/transportation was good and the theming and amenities were sufficient. It really depends on the purpose of the trip and who is with me.

In general, I would go Deluxe over staying more time at a Value. But if I really wanted a longer trip and could only swing it by going Value, I would do it. If my only option was Value, I certainly would go for it and enjoy every minute. And between value and moderate, I might actually choose the value. I'm not sure moderates are worth it comparatively.

brownie
11-05-2012, 01:15 PM
We don't spend much time in our room or at the resort, so it's Values for us. If we were going to spend more time at the resort, I'd probably go with a Moderate or Deluxe.

Mitzie
11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Once again gotta love that WDW has something for everyone. For us..we are not power park people. We like to spend time at the resort and even schedule days to not go into a park at all. For us it is Mods or Dlx. If we want to stretch a trip that is when we do a split stay between a Mod and Dlx. We also like to sit down for some meals and often try to hit at least one of our resort resturants just to try something new. We are gradually checking resorts off our list. Still haven't made it to FQ, and still have WL, GF and OKW to go.

CanadianWDWFan
11-06-2012, 04:51 PM
We spend almost as much time at the resort as the parks. Depending on funds available it is Deluxe with the Moderates a close second. We enjoy everything the resort has to offer and tend to spend most of our time at the pool since on of our kids is a fish. :D

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Values, it is just that they are not for us.

Jayhorn
11-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Deluxe Epcot resort! The deluxes are worth the extra money. Additionally, I think walking to Epcot for dinner in a different country every night just adds to the experience.

mom2morgan
11-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I think my answer may have been different when I was younger, but now I would definitely take fewer trips to stay in a nicer hotel. our recent trip was our first stay in a Deluxe (AKL) and we're hooked. I don't think we could ever be happy even in a Moderate again. I guess I like the extra comforts and the little luxures more now that I'm in my 40's ;-)

bruin1344
11-09-2012, 10:06 AM
I think my answer may have been different when I was younger, but now I would definitely take fewer trips to stay in a nicer hotel. our recent trip was our first stay in a Deluxe (AKL) and we're hooked. I don't think we could ever be happy even in a Moderate again. I guess I like the extra comforts and the little luxures more now that I'm in my 40's ;-)

I agree plus the posts by A Big Kid and 1DisneyNut. I didnt mind values as much as when I was a kid or college age. I love the deluxes and its hard to downgrade even if it means more trips. The deluxes are part of the Disney experience.

floogen6
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
For us it really doesnt matter as we tend to decide far enough out to budget for either level. The bigger issue for us is saving the vacaiton time necessary for a longer trip....We have stayed at Value and Moderate and in a couple of weeks we will be staying Deluxe...I may change my mind after the next visit...

BrerGnat
11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
No more values for us. Ever.

In fact, I can say that my DH won't even consider going back if we can't stay in a Deluxe, specifically, an Epcot deluxe. He's not even open to other options. If that's not feasible, we wait until it is.

RavsRuleDisney!
11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
We've been fortunate enough to experience them all over a decade of trips and for us we try to go with the moderates - u get some bang for your buck without the noise and crampiness of values and breaking your bank account with the deluxe resorts. Riverside is our new fave. Great memories of POLY and WL though!!

Cinderelley
11-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Pop Century is my favorite resort. The Polynesian is my least favorite. I'll take the value over the Deluxe no matter how long I am staying.

JoDisney
11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Honestly, many times you are able to get some moderates at a price quite close to the cost of a value. Also, the only value resort I have chosen is POP. I have been happy with a preferred pool view. I like staying on the interior of POP resort. If I stay at a Deluxe, it is because I want to enjoy what the resort has to offer. My preference is AKL.

NyDisneyGirl
11-14-2012, 02:30 PM
I agree with a lot of the posts in this thread. I will only stay in the deluxe resorts because I love to spend time at the resorts and I love the amenities. I've stayed everywhere on property from the All Star Music to the Grand Floridian. The All Star Music was very crowded and not to my liking at all. The buses were too crowded and slow and sometimes it took more than an hour to get to the Animal Kingdom. Never again. I think when staying at any of the All Star Resorts a rental car is definitely needed. Who wants to wait all that time for a bus???? Definitely not me when I'm on vacation!!!About three years ago I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside with a group of friends (we had three seperate rooms). After two nights I checked out and checked into the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The grounds at Port Orleans are beautiful but our experience there was horrible. Our room was filthy, and basically the entire bathroom was falling apart. The castmembers at the front desk couldn't be bothered and from that point on, I swore off the moderates. My favorites are the Epcot resorts (Yacht Club, Beach Club) and I love Animal Kingdom Lodge for it's theming. If I plan on going to the Magic Kingdom a lot then I will stay at The Grand Floridian. I seriously believe that you get what you pay for, and I would rather stay at a place I love then stay someplace hectic and not enjoy myself. I understand that it' s not in everyone's budget to stay at the Deluxe hotels, but if you can do it, then I would definitely splurge. I'll be at the Boardwalk (first time staying there) next month and I'm super excited!

CanadianWDWFan
11-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Honestly, many times you are able to get some moderates at a price quite close to the cost of a value.
You are absolutely right. :yes: In fact our first stay at a deluxe resort, BWI, was for $15/night more than our reservation at POFQ. We jumped at the chance. It was that trip that made us decide to try all the resorts out on property.

Gocubs
11-19-2012, 08:22 PM
I love the convenience of the MK deluxe resorts with my 4 year old. We just back in October and stayed at BLT. Was so nice to be able to walk back to the room at any time. We could stay for the parade, fireworks, etc and bypass the lines for the monorail and busses.

We are DVC members and really only have enough point for 4 nights a year. Our tastes may change as our son ( or any future kids) grows, but right now we are a bit spoiled by the convenience of Deluxe.

phlo8810
11-19-2012, 08:39 PM
We used to have no problems staying in any level resort. Then we stayed at the BWV. We then became DVC owners. For us the biggest reason is conveinance. The deluxe level resorts are just that conveinant. Also hate the buses and the values they are your only option. The lines waiting for those buses after a long day/night at the parks is something I will never do again. No better feeling then knowing that your hotel is a quick walk away at the end of the day. We also like to spend days just hanging at the resorts and the deluxes are like mini vacation spots. I've never stayed at POLY but i tell my wife all the time that I'd be happy staying there for a week and never going to a park!