PDA

View Full Version : MK Opening Ceremony

steamboat willy
11-02-2012, 11:08 AM
We are closer and closer to our December DISNEY TRIP (37days) today. We have NEVER seen the opening Ceremony at Magic Kingdom and hope to next month.
What time should we get there, Which side should we stand for the best photos, What do you do first after the rope drops?
Thanks so much! We are so excited!:here::yay::here:

Itchy
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
We are closer and closer to our December DISNEY TRIP (37days) today. We have NEVER seen the opening Ceremony at Magic Kingdom and hope to next month.
What time should we get there, Which side should we stand for the best photos, What do you do first after the rope drops?
Thanks so much! We are so excited!:here::yay::here:

When to get there will depend on whether they are opening early for the extra magic hours in the morning which would be 8 instead of 9.

If you want to take photos I would try to get in the center between the two entrances under the railroad. There you will be able to see Mickey and company and the opening entertainment.

Depending on how many folks are there we just walk in after the rope drops and take in all of the excitement. The crowds are a little less with the extra magic hours and you can get some great photos of the castle down main street. If you are there for the extra magic hours they do not have the entire park open. The last time we were there we could not go to the Pirates of the Caribbean or Thunder Mountain because that section was not open.

All in all it is cool to be there with less pushing and more relaxing way to start the day.

Have a great time and hope this helps..:mickey:

Cheshire_Girl
11-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I've only been there for Rope Drop once...and I can't wait to do it again. It was the best count down ever!
Count Loud! Who cares who hears you...It's a count down to magic!
:number1:

phillydan
11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
I've done this twice; I arrived both times about 15 minutes before park opening. As the previous post said, try to be right in the middle for the best pictures. We hung back a little between the security gate and the entrance gate. You could still see everything and it was not as congested. It is a nice little show and it is cool being "first in".

Quadstriker
11-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Being a night owl, it was a real pain being drug out by my wife and "Do we really have to do this?" was uttered about 37 times.

But it was worth it to see once imo. Glad I did.

Altair
11-02-2012, 07:37 PM
When to get there will depend on whether they are opening early for the extra magic hours in the morning which would be 8 instead of 9.

Be aware, there is no opening ceremony on days with morning EMH's.:mickey:

11-03-2012, 12:51 AM
If EMH, the opening ceremony starts at 7:50 and if 9:00 am opening, the opening ceremony is at 8:50.
There is an opening ceremony for EMH and then for the 9:00 opening there is a recorded "message" welcoming guests into the park.

Katzateer
11-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Don't stand too close to where the rope drops- you need to be back from the entrance and be able to look up to the train. We tend to be right in front and can hear the opening but you can't see it from the front of the line.

And head for the new Fantasyland or Dumbos if you are wanting to go to either of those. You can check out all the neat decorations later in the day when the rides are packed.

MickeysBestPal
11-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Be aware, there is no opening ceremony on days with morning EMH's.:mickey:

That is far from being a "given."

There a many EMH mornings at MK that offer the full Rope Drop Ceremony.

11-03-2012, 10:03 PM
See also Post #7 above.

Janmac
11-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Don't stand too close to where the rope drops- you need to be back from the entrance and be able to look up to the train. We tend to be right in front and can hear the opening but you can't see it from the front of the line.

And head for the new Fantasyland or Dumbos if you are wanting to go to either of those. You can check out all the neat decorations later in the day when the rides are packed.

We arrived at MK 20 minutes before posted opening (8:40) and were right up near the rope because we were on a mission to ride Dumbo. We could hear the ceremony and see a little from the left entrance. The sun (in January) was impacting what little photos I could get from that angle.

Jan