PDA

View Full Version : New York Marathon

disney obsessed
11-02-2012, 08:49 AM
This is my opinion. Use all of the effort and money put unto this race and use it to help those people effected by Sandy. Please.

PirateLover
11-02-2012, 11:29 AM
General consensus seems to agree with you. I do, too. People still are starving, powerless, dumpster diving, and all of these resources are being diverted for the marathon. I understand people train for years for this, but the people who have nothing should be the ones getting free water and Gatorade. The resources used to clear out the streets should be cleaning up the streets that were devastated. :twocents:

VWL Mom
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
I totally agree with you :thumbsup:

Edit:
Ok, it was just announced by the mayor that the RoadRunners club is using this as a fundraiser for the people of NY. They are donating $1M to the cause and are asking each participant to donate $26.20 ($1 for each mile) on Sunday which would raise another $1M. If this is indeed true, then it could be a good thing.

hoop de do
11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I would like to see a postponement with a reschedule date a little further down the road.

PirateLover
11-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Evacuees who had money to stay at hotels are being booted out due to the marathoners arriving. Yet another reason to at least postpone. Raising money is all well and good but there are people who needed help YESTERDAY. By the time that money turns into real aid, it will be too late for some of these people! Staten Island is a mess. It is cold, they have no power, no gasoline for their generators and cars(if they even work) so no way off the island, no clothes to change into, they are diving in dumpsters for food. These people are in dire straits.

Aurora
11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I just think having the marathon would be a HUGE mistake. People continue to suffer and they should be a priority. There is a real danger of perceiving that life goes on in upper Manhattan while the folks in lower Manhattan are forgotten. No one thinks New Yorkers aren't tough, but right now they need help.

laprana
11-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Just saw a breaking news alert that they have cancelled the marathon. I think this is what they should have done in the first place! It only makes sense to cancel or postpone such a huge event to another time when there are so many people in that area who need help.

VWL Mom
11-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Just saw that breaking on CNN.

BrerGnat
11-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Good call.

Aurora
11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Good call.

:ditto:

PirateLover
11-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Definitely the right call, only wish they saw the light a little sooner.

disney obsessed
11-02-2012, 07:48 PM
It's the right thing to do.

MNNHFLTX
11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
I agree it was the right call and should have been made sooner. I have a nephew who ran the NYC marathon a few years back and he also thought it wouldn't feel right to carry on with the event in the face of so many people who are struggling with more important issues. Good to see the running community pull together over this.