PDA

View Full Version : ?? re: buying points at two resorts...

Dsnygirl
11-02-2012, 05:28 AM
So, my DH and I bounce back and forth about when & if we will buy... but the basic consensus at this point is that we will... at some point. So for now, we are just trying to figure out where & why.

We really like OKW, both for it's ambiance, and relatively low re-sale cost. We also like BW, for it's location and we love the rooms. We also really like AKL... it's just an overall favorite.

So... the question. If we buy at two different resorts for the same use year, can we combine the points for use at one resort?? (i.e. We buy 150 points at OKW to keep the cost down, 75 points at BWV so that it is also a "home resort" and we have the 7 month benefit.) Can we use the entire 225 points at either resort at the 7 month mark? We're thinking OKW would be our "summer trip w/ the kids" and BWV would be our occasional "fall parents-only getaway trip".... but we'd need the entire amount of points at either resort, based on the time of year we'd be going, etc.

Sorry if this is a redundant question, I did look to see if anything similar had been asked, but didn't see anything.

:thanks:

VWL Mom
11-02-2012, 06:10 AM
As long as you have the same use year you would be able to combine points at the 7 month mark. The home advantage for a resort would be at 11 months out and would be for those resort points only so in your case to take advantage of BWV during F&W you would have 75 points at 11 months.

Just and FYI, right now OKW is being grabbed up by Disney during ROFR. The assumption many are making is that they are taking them cheap and then selling them direct as 2057 extended. Also, there quite a few BWV contracts making it through at the $55-$60p/p range. The price posted is always negotiable, if a broker tells you otherwise or finds an offer offensive it's time to find a new broker!

Dsnygirl
11-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks! I wondered about the 11 month mark... so we better make sure we get what we need at BWV, b/c I know those go FAST during F&W Fest!!

And thank you for the info on OKW and Disney... I was wondering why so few re-sales were out there, there used to be a TON more just 6-8 months ago. Makes more sense now. We're still a ways away from buying, so we'll see what's out there when we're ready... but it's good to have some of these answers. :)

DizneyRox
11-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Just to be clear, use year doesn't have much impact on you. You'll always be booking from two different contracts. If one as a May use year and another has a September, a July vacation for example might end up using current years points from one and 'next' years points from the other contact.

You'll probably always be subject to a month booking window for use of some of the points.

While I always say book where you want to stay, right now, AKL is pretty easy to get, so I don't know if I'd worry too much about getting in there at 7 months. It's not sold out yet which might be the reason, but I'm not sure it will be as popular because of its perceived convenience or lack of. Epcot resorts WILL be tough to get come F&W time.

If the fall getaway is important, make sure you plan points accordingly. Don't assume that a studio will always be available even before the 7 month window opens. People tend to book the lower cost rooms first. For example, I've ever stayed in a standard view studio at Beach Club. I've always had to pony up for a preferred room, there are very little standard rooms to begin with.

I mention this because 225 points doesn't sound like it will give you enough flexibility. Summer with the kids (I read that as Magic Season 1BR) can use up a significant chunk of points, again, same reason, you might need to step up view, etc. Run all your options and see what happens if you need to adjust your preferred choices.

FiggyFan
11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
If buying points at two resorts, keep in mind that if the two contracts have different use years, you will have two independent memberships. If they are the same use year, they will be considered a single membership.

With a single membership, you can easily use a combination of points from both resorts at the 7 month mark.

With two independent memberships, using points from both memberships for a single trip would mean either:
1) Splitting your trip into two reservations, one from each membership, or
2) Taking advantage of the once per year transfer of points from one membership to the other to combine the points, then making a single reservation. Note that if your plans change, transferred points have banking/borrowing restrictions.