PDA

View Full Version : Marvel characters

epceddie
10-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Disney has just bought the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises and I know they already own the Marvel characters. My question is this. Spider Man is a Marvel Hero and Universal has a Spider Man ride that they just put a lot of money in to improve. How does this jibe with Disney's ownership of the character? Does Universal have to pay Disney? Will the Spider Man ride be leaving soon? Just wondering.

alongfortheride
10-31-2012, 02:37 PM
If I remember correctly, Marvel licensed all theme park rights to their characters to Universal for a significant timeframe. The buyout didn't change that. It's just that their licensing fees are now ultimately going to Disney. They still have the exclusive rights, so Disney can't use the characters in attractions at their parks. So...Spider-Man ain't movin.

epceddie
10-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Thank you for clearing that up. I'm glad to find out that Spider Man will still be at Universal in the future.

Mrs Bus Driver
10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
I believe that is only east of the Mississippi which is why Iron man will be going in Disneyland. :mickey:

BrerGnat
10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
I believe that is only east of the Mississippi which is why Iron man will be going in Disneyland. :mickey:

That is correct. That is also why the Avengerail (monorail) cannot run the Epcot loop. No Avengers characters are allowed in Disney theme parks east of the Mississippi.

The original deal for Universal was, like, 99 years. So, unless they relinquish their rights to characters in their parks to Disney, Spiderman and the rest of the Marvel universe will continue to be a presence at Universal Orlando Resort.