PDA

View Full Version : How long does the Hiring process take?

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Hey gang!
I am getting ready to retire from active duty Army. I am looking 3-4 times a week on the Disney HR site for full time professional possitions. My question, at the moment, is how long does it take for someone to start work?
For example, a job gets posted today, how long would it take for them to hire a person not already in the Disney family and for that person to start work? I am trying to get a feeling for when I need to start putting in my Resume in relation to my retirement date.

Thanks

BrerGnat
10-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Everything I've read in relation to separating from active duty says begin putting out resumes and applying for jobs 3 to 6 months in advance. If any company really wants you, they will hold the job until you are separated out.

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
I just got off the phone with a lady in casting. And granted she deals with typical hourly jobs and not the "Professional" jobs that I am interested in. But she said that if they conduct an interview and they like you, they expect you to be able to start in a week.

My problem really lies in that I do rather specialized work. In the Army I am an Intelligence Analyst. I would love to do Anti-Terrorism work for Disney and I have seen those jobs come up in the past. How do I tailor my resume to a job that isnt open?

I know I have a lot of leadership experience and could apply for almost anything where I am leading/managing other cast members. And to work for Disney and get my foot in the door, I would deffinately do that (as long as the pay is acceptable).

I guess my biggest problem is that I am used to having a lot of information so I can plan ahead and I just dont have the information I think I need. And as the time gets closer to retirement, the more worried I get. :sick:

If anyone has ideas, suggestions, or contacts that would make this easier, I would love you forever.

BrerGnat
10-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Are you working with a transition to civilian careers type company yet? You really should. They can assist you with timelines, drafting resumes, and making professional contacts. There are many to choose from, and you should be able to get some recommendations from your own base. DH has already started looking into this process, and we still have 6 years to go! You really need to work with a transition company if you want to land work immediately.

As much as working for Disney sounds great, it is very difficult to get into a professional position up there from the outside. They tend to hire from within and promote upwards. Honestly, I'd probably advise you to get in as an hourly CM, do ANY job, and then keep your eyes open for the job postings that CMs get to see before the general public. I know they do give priority to current CMs in interviewing for management type/professional roles within the company.

As a veteran, you are also considered "priority" for interviewing for positions within the Disney company, as they are part of the Hiring Veterans initiative rolled out by the government earlier in the year.

I'm not sure what your family situation is, but if you want to move down to Orlando anyway (even if it means NOT working for Disney), start a more broad job search in the Orlando area. There are many defense department type jobs down there, in contracting work specifically, that you could do while you wait for "the perfect Disney job" to present itself. You could make some serious $$$ as a contractor, and that might make it possible to take a lower paying job later on with Disney, if the opportunity presents itself.

I used to work in HR, and I can tell you, NO company would expect a professional level job prospect to start within a week of accepting the job offer. Salaried employees in professional or upper management roles are sought after, and when they want you, they will usually offer to relocate you and your family, put you up in temp housing, etc. That could take a month or more, and most companies will be lenient about start dates if they are serious about wanting you.

vicster
10-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Just want to say good luck and thank you for your service!!!

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-31-2012, 02:19 PM
BG,
I am working with the Armys version of transition assistance. I have a week long seminar I am attending in the middle of December. I wish I could have gotten in sooner but that was the earliest I could get in.

I am not limiting myself to ONLY a Disney job. As much as Id love to, it would just be foolish. I have seen several jobs in the Tampa/McDill Air Force Base area that I think I am going to apply for. As well as contractor jobs that would take me to Afghanistan for a year. Its almost obscene what they will pay a civilian to go to Afghanistan. And I am sure there are several other opertunities in the central Florida area as well.

I guess I was just having a bit of a anxiety attack this morning while thinking about life/jobs after the army.

bwgens
11-01-2012, 02:35 AM
As stated before, thank you for your service. If you really do want to work for Disney I would recommend doing what you are doing by watching the website for job postings DAILY. As also previously stated, you may need to start off in a hourly position to get the proverbial foot in the door. It is much easier to move up from within than trying to get into a salary position from outside. Although having the military background will help as Disney is very interested in hiring veterans of the military. The best thing you can do is somewhere 60 days or so before your retirement date be ready to submit a resume/application for anything that comes close to something you'd be qualified for and when it shows up apply immediately. It will usually take several days for them to respond with anything other than a auto-response. Be patient, and hopefully it turns out well as it is always good to have ex-military personnel coming into the company!