PDA

View Full Version : How did everyone make it through the storm???

Katzateer
10-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Wondering how everyone that was at the meet made it through the storm. Even though we cut our vacation short by 3 days (:(). And Very windy and heavy rain on Monday....we made it through with no power outage, only leaves and little branches down and the wind has calmed a lot from yesterday.

Feeling EXTREMELY blessed this morning.

Hope everyone is safe and well.....and those not home yet have a safe trip.

SBETigg
10-30-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm still here, moved to an airport Marriott and I'm booked to leave tomorrow morning. My family at home lost cable-phone-internet, but has power and no other damage or problems. So I'm relieved and now just eager to get home. I'm sorry you had to cut your trip short, but it seems like a wise course to have taken. Glad all is well there and so glad we got to meet!

BriarRose0708
10-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Blythe and I got home to Syracuse last night. Thankfully, our area was the least hit in upstate NY. I am so glad for everyone that was spared damage, but am still thinking and worrying about all our friends in the hardest hit areas downstate and along the mid-atlantic.

BrerGnat
10-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Doing well down here (a little west of DC). No loss of power or anything. Found a roof shingle on our patio, but not sure it's ours. Still rainy and cold, lots of wind last night but all is calm now. We were very fortunate, it seems, from reports in nearby towns.

brownie
10-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Our flight landed a bit early in Detroit last night. It was sort of windy but not bad.

Dsnygirl
10-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Like Nikki said, home safe & sound... no power outages here, just rainy and windy. Very thankful, and hoping everyone still traveling gets home safely!!

TikiGoddess
10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I kept waiting for my flight to be cancelled Sunday night, but thankfully it didn't. The flight to CT was uneventful except for a normal amount of turbulence.

We had lots of wind but did not lose power. I did get two days off from school, which to be honest, was perfectly timed... I was tired after all those early mornings and late nights!

Kathy

ChipDale2708
10-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Everything is okay here northwest of Hartford. Never lost power for more than 5 minutes and that was just once. Cable only went out for about an hour in the afternoon but that's it. Just some branches down. So thankful it didn't end up like last October - 10 days no power. Thoughts are with everyone on coast line.

Fangorn
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Since we were headed to the Pacific Northwest, we had no issues with our flight out yesterday. It was pretty eerie in Orlando International though. With all the flights to the northest cancelled, the place was very deserted.

The lines through security were very short though, which could've been nice, but since they had fewer people to screen, the TSA folks were even slower and more "thorough" (there are other words for it) than usual. With zero people in line ahead of us, it still took 15 minutes to get through the screening process.

Steve

TiggeRia
10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
We are still attempting to make it home. Per my family, though, lots of trees and wires down. The said a tree hit the house but luckily did not damage it. Some houses in the area lost their roofs and several cars were crushed by falling trees. No rain damage and apparently the Delaware river is doing ok. They have been without power since last night and probably will be for days. We are currently driving to SC and will take a flight to Allentown from there tomorrow afternoon. Orlando would have had us there probably until the weekend. Glad you all are ok!

Buttercup
10-31-2012, 10:03 PM
We got home Sunday afternoon - it's been rainy but we didn't get much wind. A lot of places in Toronto had trees down, but we were thankfully spared.
I do know a couple fellow Intercotees lost their home in New York though. :( I'll let them tell you about it since it's not my place.

MelissaW
10-31-2012, 10:29 PM
We got home Sunday afternoon - it's been rainy but we didn't get much wind. A lot of places in Toronto had trees down, but we were thankfully spared.
I do know a couple fellow Intercotees lost their home in New York though. :( I'll let them tell you about it since it's not my place.

That is terrible! We will continue to keep them in our prayers! So sorry that our fabulously wonderful weekend had to end with "Stupid Sandy" ruining things! :pout:

Katzateer
11-01-2012, 08:03 AM

OH NO! :(. That is horrible!!

Glad you made it back and everything is ok but that is so upsetting that some of our friends had such a horrible end to their trip!

Melanie
11-01-2012, 08:05 AM

I know! I am devastated for them. What a sweet couple. :( Hope we hear from them soon.

BriarRose0708
11-01-2012, 09:01 AM
I know! I am devastated for them. What a sweet couple. :( Hope we hear from them soon.

Ditto. The best ways we can help right now is to donate to The Mayor's Fund and/or Red Cross. Tomorrow night on NBC networks they are running a concert to benefit victims of Sandy. I wish I could just go there and help them out!

barnaby
11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm in southern NJ about 25 miles inland and we fared good, only lost power for about 12 hours and no flood and wind damage. The shore towns in the south did OK with flood damage to homes, but homes are still standing.

But up the coast, basically Atlantic City and above, are decimated. A lot of people lost homes and the islands are basically changed forever. Towns like Seaside Heights and Mantoloking, most of LBI, got hit very hard. I know folks in those areas and I've worked up there in the past. Seeing pictures and talking to people, its tough to imagine what those folks are going through. They definitely could use the thoughts and prayers. :(

SBETigg
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Oh no! I'm so sad that some of us were hit and badly affected. Such a devastating storm.

kakn7294
11-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Here in Western PA, we never got the monster storm that was predicted to hit. The worst of it was high winds for about 12 hrs and fairly steady rain for the past 5 days, sometimes pretty heavily. There has been minor flooding, several landslides, and a lot of downed trees. My parents lost power for about 10 hrs Monday evening / night but came to spend the night at my house since they wouldn't have heat. All in all, we were very lucky. My heart goes out to those who have suffered far worse.

Renfairwedding
11-01-2012, 10:28 PM
We got hit hard in the Poconos in NE PA. Still no power but the generator works. we alternate between the fridge and TV and one light. At least the Phone, Internet and cable is back after two days. Met Ed says maybe by Sunday power will be restored.

Trees down all over a few houses had trees come down on them. One tool shed was split right down the middle like it was cut with a knife.

PirateLover
11-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I am shocked that neither my parents nor mother in law had water problems. Both have had basement flooding in the past, and my parents have had leaks in their garage. The rain didn't end up being quite so bad in our area apparently, it was mainly the wind. Everyone reported that they never heard their windows rattle like that before. We were stranded in FL so we didn't experience it. Ironically we were also in FL when Irene hit (that time my Mother in law got awful flooding). That being said we do know people with shore houses. Some weathered the storm and did have major flooding, others are still waiting to be let into their towns to see what the damage is. One friend has a house on LBI. They got hit pretty hard there. :(

MelissaW
11-03-2012, 08:45 AM
I just read John's post with the charities listed that are helping in that area. I too want to encourage everyone to make a donation, whatever the size to these organizations. I personally have worked with just about every of them in my job in the "real world" and they do great things! Thanks John for that posting (in another thread) and we will all keep praying for speedy recovery for the areas affected. I'm glad to be a part of such a caring community. If anyone out there needs anything specifically particular - I'm sure we could come up with it. My hearts and prayers go out to all of you affected great or small. :grouphug:

Yungbuck73
11-08-2012, 04:28 AM
1st thing, Dawn and I are ok, our family is ok, and our cat is ok. We live in Rockaway Beach, NY and our town is pretty much destroyed. We had a beautiful boardwalk which not 1 board of it is left. There is sand everywhere and just about every house was flooded. Another part of the Rockaways is Breezy Point which not only had flooding but about 110 houses burnt to the ground. Due to the water, the fire dept could not get thru to the fires.
We live on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a private house and we got no flooding (thank god), but my landlord on the 1st floor got flooded and my car was destroyed.
We have had no power or heat, since the storm hit, but I do have hot water even tho the water was not safe for a few days. Today we got hit with about 5 inches of snow and the Sanitation dept who had been doing a great job of cleaning up all the debris, had to deal with the storm.
There is no words for the destruction of my hometown except it looks like a war zone.
Thank you for all the kind words on twitter and facebook and I know we will be stronger and better after rebuilding.
Looking forward for #ICOT20

Patricia
11-08-2012, 01:42 PM
First of all, I'm glad to hear you, your family and pets are safe and sound.

I'm so sorry about the destruction around you.. I know that can be an anxious time for everyone. I hope they are able to restore power and get the daunting job of clean up started soon.

Thanks for checking in, be safe and take care.