PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Trip to WDW

Gator
10-29-2012, 03:36 PM
After years of posting here, I've finally reached my 3000th post. I'm pretty excited - my wife, not so much:D

So I wanted a fun post. What was your favorite trip to WDW? What made it the best?

For me, it was my trip during the first week of Feb of 2004. It was my second trip after our summer honeymoon trip, but it was pre-kids. I had gleaned all sorts of info from here on Intercot, so we were going prepared. We hit really low crowds and perfect no-rain weather - a vast difference from the summer trip. We went from 80 minute waits for RnRC to hitting it 3 times in a row on our first morning there. Plus we got to see Tom Brady after the Super Bowl in the MK parade, and got to see Illuminations 3 times! We got to experience some great Disney dining for the first time. I could go on and on, but it was the perfect trip.:thumbsup:

Zawadi
10-29-2012, 04:34 PM
DW said it is always the last one since you plan it based on experiences (mistakes :blush:) from previous trips.

This year I would agree. No rushing between rides, but time spent exploring (AK especially), dining (Citricos, Jiko, Sanaa & Le Cellier to name a few). However the creme de la creme was the Wild Africa Trek. The first tour, though not cheap, we both said that we wanted to do it again. And how could I forget about meeting some Intercot friends.

goofygirl64
10-29-2012, 04:37 PM
It would definitely be our trip last December. We decided to make a road trip out of it, rather than fly and we just had such a great time. We ended up stopping in Charleston, SC and then St. Augustine, 2 places that we had never been before. This was our 25th anniversary celebration trip, so it was special anyway, but it just seemed that we encountered so many people who made it extra magical. There was even a cast member at the Christmas store in Downtown Disney that had a special ornament made for us because we were celebrating our 25th anniversary. A very special trip indeed!

CynBeth
10-30-2012, 07:48 AM
I visited a few times as a kid in June or Aug and have been 3 times as an adult usually in June and go with my hubby and Mom. My husband and I don't have kids unless you count the dog. As of right now the best trip I have ever taken was last year during Thanksgiving Week. We stayed at POFQ. It was our first trip during the holiday season. Every trip has been magical but somehow with the parks and resorts decorated and experiencing Osbourne Lights and CP it was even more magical. Next year we are going in Dec 2013 so we will get to experience MVMCP and most of the new FL and are splurging by doing a split stay between WL and CR so my guess is my answer will change if the question is asked a few years from now.

TheVBs
10-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Great topic! But such a hard question for me to answer. Each trip has been wonderful for it's own unique reasons. Overall, our trips just keep getting better and better, so each last trip has always felt like our best trip yet! :mickey:

TexasRoni
10-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Our trip in 2005 when we stayed at CSR. We brought my mother along (we surprised her by giving her a card containing her plane ticket :mickey: ). It was SUCH an amazing trip - our oldest daughter turned 10 while we were there, and it was our son's first trip too. It was also the first time I made my way to the France bakery for dessert and now it's a must EVERY trip. Very memorable! Smiling now ear-to-ear just thinking about it.

Lindsey310
10-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Loved every trip to WDW but I have to say my favorite was when we went in December 2011 for 10 days. Stayed at boardwalk villas.
Everything was decorated and the lights were spectacular. I have never seen anything like that...I loved when they started the lights with the transiberian orchestra song, it was something I will never forget. Def got me in the Christmas spirit...and it's my least favorite holiday! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
That's easy, it was my first trip. There is nothing like seeing the castle for the first time, going through the Haunted Mansion or hearing "We wants the redhead". It truly seemed "Magical".

disney obsessed
10-30-2012, 09:37 AM
First trip. The magic with the kids being little. It was the start of it all.

emerzmom
10-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Great topic! Our first trip was so magical. Seeing things for the first time and so many "wow" moments! However looking back we didn't know what we were doing. We booked a package through a travel agent that cost us way too much and we were all over the place in the parks. Then I discovered Intercot...now I know soooo much more about saving and planning! :mickey:
Every trip has it's own special moments. I treasure those memories and I know my daughter will too.
:mickey:WDW is a special place! :mickey:
:tink:
Julie

Cheshire_Girl
10-30-2012, 11:02 AM
I would have to say 2011 MNSSHP...that's when I got the magic back!
I hadn't been to WDW in about 12 years, since my nephew was just a lil dude...and I don't have great memories of that trip!
I met a really cool dude and he said hey let's go to Disney. I thought Yeah-It's something different to do, but I wasn't expecting much.
I can't tell you exactly what about that night brought the magic back for me, but it did...I got my self an annual pass the next week, and here it is a year later, and I just renewed my pass for another great year.
I hope I always get that feeling when I come out the other side of those tunnels and smell the popcorn and see the castle...and hear the sound of the pins jingling on a pin bag:mickey:

Pop Centurion
10-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Each trip has it's new experiences for us but I'd have to say our 2007 trip is my favorite because we took my Niece for her birthday. She was 12 so she wasn't old enough yet to think certain things were "corney". Seeing her face during different meals when CM's did something special along with her interactions with characters will always stay etched in my memories. I'm actually looking forward to hopefully taking her next year as a graduation gift.

MrPeetrie
10-31-2012, 08:50 AM
I would definitely say our most recent trip in September 2012. In fact, because it was so amazing, I did my first trip report about it in another section, detailing each day so I could re-live it.

There were so many reasons this trip was great: CMs were outstanding. Crowds were low and very, very polite. Our resort was beautiful. Our children were of the perfect age. (DD is 9 and can ride everything; DS is 2 and now recognizes his "pals" from the Disney Channel.) But most importanly, my DW was feeling healthy again and really enjoyed herself.

Last year, after giving birth to our son, she had an 18-month-long series of health issues. We went last October, hoping it would bring some happiness into an otherwise dismal year for her, but to be honest, she felt so poorly, the entire trip passed without her enjoying any of it. There was a "shell" of her present, but she couldn't have a nice time. This year, she felt SOO MUCH BETTER! She cried the moment we entered the Magic Kingdom, saying, "Last year, I felt so bad, I can hardly remember coming." She was looking forward to feeling better and enjoying herself at Walt Disney World and WDW did not disappoint.

Best Trip EVER!!!!!

darthmacho
10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
This is a great question! I've been debating it since we've been back from our most recent trip in August, and I'm not sure if I can definitively answer it, but I will try. I've been to WDW exactly five times, and each one of them was special in its own way, so it is so difficult to decide!

Here's how I would rank my 5 trips, and why, but if you ask me again tomorrow, don't be surprised if I don't give a different answer, especially for the first three.

1. August 2010: We stayed 10 days at Port Orleans Riverside, with me, my wife, DD1 9yo, and DD2 6yo. While it was less days than this most recent trip, and not as well planned, it was our first trip as a family of four, which made it really special to me, and a trip I'll never forget.

2. April 1998: We stayed 9 days at the Wilderness Lodge with just me and my wife, and it was not only our first trip, but it was also our honeymoon. It was difficult not to rank this #1, because it was the first time we both experienced WDW, and neither of us could imagine such a place existed. The Wilderness Lodge is by far our favorite resort and we ate at so many nice places. I think, however, as delightful as it was to be alone with my wife on this trip, when I look back at it, I miss my kids. Strange, isn't it?

3. August 2012: We stayed 14 days at Pop Century, with me, wife, DD1 11yo, and DD2 8yo. I could easily rank this first for several reasons. It was our longest trip, it was well planned, and it was certainly our best trip for dining ever. It was truly magical!

4. October 1999: We stayed 8 days at Coronado Springs, with just me and my wife. It was a bounce-back trip because I wouldn't shut up about WDW after our first trip. October was an awesome time to go, because we got to enjoy Halloween and the Food & Wine Festival.

5. August 2003: We stayed 8 days at All Star Music, with me, my wife, my 2yo daughter, my sister, and 10yo nephew.(Apparently our second daughter was along for the ride, but I just didn't know it yet.) Easily the least favorite trip, though I certainly enjoyed it. Going with a 2yo, and extended family was trying at times. I liked ASMu, but it was also my least favorite of the five resorts and one of the shortest of the trips.

Well, that's it. Again, I could easily flip-flop any of the top three, though the last two are certainly set. Thanks for the question. It was very thought-provoking.

Gator
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
4. October 1999: We stayed 8 days at Coronado Springs, with just me and my wife. It was a bounce-back trip because I wouldn't shut up about WDW after our first trip.

Yeah, that's what made the second trip for us so great. It was the bounceback because I couldn't stop obcesing over every detail. That's what made it the best - it had the best return on investment.

WDWgoofy
10-31-2012, 06:56 PM
For me it was easily the visit in June 2001 :cloud9:

Highlights from this trip included:
- E-ride nights at MK (these were great)
- Tapestry of Nations parade at Epcot
- Wonders of Life
- Main St still had some attractions
- Diamond Horseshoe Saloon show
- My only visit to Alien Encounter

This was the ultimate trip. Everything was still a new experience for our family. Cast members were amazing. WDW had not begun any cut backs and every detail was perfect.

jnfr2424
10-31-2012, 11:53 PM
I have 2:
July 2005: My mom's surprise 80th Birthday - she had no idea all of her kids(I am the youngest of 5) were going to be with her resort hopping in Disney so when we all popped out at the Contemporary Atrium Club she was beyond excited and the CM's were the best- after returning from MK they put balloons and a stuffed Minnie in her room with a card signed by Mickey and Minnie. It's in the living room framed to this day!

November 2009: DH and I surprised our 3 grand nieces with a trip to Disney. They thought they were going to Boston. We got as far as the gate before they found out. Stayed at BLT got an upgrade loved it so much, we ended up buying DVC on Thankskgiving Day!

taleasoldastime
11-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Mine was may 2011
i went with my mom and her (jerk and no longer) boyfriend. Although her dumb boyfriend was there it was still my favorite trip. He didnt stick around much. He spent a lot of time sleeping in the hotel so it was pretty mych just me and my mom.
it is my favorite because I got to spend a lot of time with my mom, it was my first stay at wilderness lodge, we did everything really slowly, I ate at artist point for the first time, we were surprised with an upgrade to a suite, and we got to do everything we wanted to.
i feel like that was a really great bonding experience for me and my mom. I felt like I was just spending time with my best friend at my favorite place. I remember every detail. :D

c&d
11-01-2012, 09:04 AM
We've had several.

April 2011: We took my aunt, who is a huge Disney person, back to the World for the first time in almost 25 years. We spent 2 full weeks there, first week with DH and DS, the second just the 2 of us. I got to do all the girls things, dinner at the Castle, pictures with princesses :mickey:

December 2011: We spent 3 days before going on the Magic and because of what had happened the parks were empty. DS, almost 3, got quality time with all the characters no matter where we went. The rides, even Dumbo, were walk ons.

April 2013: Upcoming trip DS, now 14, is bringing a friend who has never been and most likely never would have gotten to go, on vacation with us. He is soo excited about being able to show him Disney and not having to hang with us. Not sure who's happier him or me. ;)

joonyer
11-01-2012, 11:59 AM
For me, my first visit to WDW in October of 1971 was pretty exciting. MK was brand new, just opened a few weeks and my family surprised me and my brother with a one-day visit to MK while we were on a week long camping trip. Now I look back and think only one day? But back then, we didn't know any different and were thrilled to get to go at all. I will never forget it.

But even that excitement doesn't top the first trip my wife and I took our boys for a 7-day vacation at WDW in 2002 when they were 9 and 6 years old. They joy we took from their excitement and happiness and the family memories we made on that trip made it a truly magical vacation. Every trip since has been special, too, but that first trip together with my own children was the best.

MelissaW
11-01-2012, 10:12 PM
It is so much fun to read through this thread - thanks for starting it! I do have to say the first trip I made with my DD was a whole lot of fun - experiencing the magic through your child's eyes cannot be any better! :mickey:

But one of my most favorite and special Disney World trip memories is from my pesonal First trip. I came to present at a Coping Conference for severly wounded troops with the Coalition to Support America's Heroes. I cannot tell you how meaningful it was to walk down Main Street with so many of our much deserving Heroes during MVMCP and seeing the snow falling gently down around us and watching their children's eyes as they looked up to their mommies and daddies who sacrificed so much for us to have places like Disney World!

Truly a very Magical Experience! :pixie:

sacandjac
11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
I would have to say my best trip would have to be the one May 2005. Our children were 16 and 8. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge for the first time and we were upgraded to concierge level-very nice surprise!

We had a great time! An image of my 16 year old son skipping the "yellow brick road" makes me smile every time. There was a yellow line painted on the concrete from where you used to go in Fantasmic by Oscar's gas station with the Fantasmic Dinner package. LOL

Great trip and wonderful memories!!!

iheartdisney
11-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Awesome question! And I've loved skipping down memory lane with everyone here!

I've been 30+ times, including the first year it opened. Aside from the typical first visit (which is very fuzzy because I was so young) my absolute favorite trip was the one I took, with just my boys, when they were 6 and 7. My husband is not a Disney nut and didn't want to go. He suggested I just take the boys by myself. I was really nervous about it but it ended up being AMAZING! I didn't have to worry about my husband and his irritation with the crowds or my teenage daughter and her constant need to shop. (I love you both dearly, truly I do.) It was just me and two boys who ADORE Disney as much as I do. We had a blast riding rides multiple times, going to bed early and getting up at the crack of dawn (I'm a morning person and my husband and daughter are not) and then doing it all over again. Absolute heaven! I guess I'm just a 7 year old at heart!

Cass&KenziesMom
11-03-2012, 10:55 AM
I went many times as a kid/teen with my family. My favorite trip though would have to be my honeymoon. My DH had never been to WDW. (Poor sheltered soul. ;) ) It was so fun to be able to experience his first time with him. Also it didn't hurt that we ran around like little kids and got to do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. I'm sure my new favorite time will be in Feb. when we bring our girls for the first time. It's been 10 years since we've stepped foot into the world. I can't wait!

BigRedDad
11-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Mine was a trip in March of 2008 with my DD for her first and my dad's last trip. He wanted to take a lot of vacations that year for some reason. Turns out he had an idea he had cancer. He died on Dec. 31 2008.

My DD and my dad playing all the time there, trying on the different hats, chasing a lizard around the Goofy fountains at Pop Century, meeting Lilo and Stitch for the first time, and her face the first time she went to a character on her own (Daisy).

That trip was the most memorable. We went again with my in-laws over Thanksgiving and it was the worst trip. It was when my dad was diagnosed and 5 weeks later it was over.

wdwfansince75
11-04-2012, 07:19 PM
This is at least my fifth attempt to post on this thread...Even tried to break it down to "favorite all time day at WDW"...just so many really cherished memories...and to pick one over the others seems almost like throwing away some of the really special days..Hard not to remember our very first trip, and the drive towards the CR, where we stayed..going under the bridge, as one of the boats to FW passed over the bridge...or riding the monorail for the very first time...or the first walk up Main Street with DW, and our 3 oldest..DS 10, DD 7, DD 5...DMiL and DDiL, and, unknown to us, DS, still 8 months from being born, was also with us...found out we were expecting him on the way home. Yet, amazing as that first trip was, other trips rivaled it, and there were unbelievable days almost every trip. The secret is that I have been surrounded by my very favorite people on every trip...

finaldynasty
11-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Trip to WDW third week of June at the Wilderness Lodge with Deluxe Dining...We had a ball...DS pulled the sword from the stone in MK, lots of WDW stickers from Cast Members, got to hang out with friends from New England who just got out of school...just a great trip!

Happy 3k post!!

buzznwoodysmom
11-05-2012, 11:03 AM
It's so hard to pick just one. Most of our trips have been pretty fantastic!

I think my favorite trip was our trip in June of 2010. DH was on his 2 week R&R from Iraq and we were just so happy to spend that time together. It was nice that he was off for two weeks with no work to hurry home to, the kids were out of school for the summer so no school work to make up, and again we didn't have to rush home to go back to school. We were able to add a few nights and not have to feel guilty about it (even tho we almost always add nights lol). We booked everything just about 5 days before the trip so we didn't have many ADRs. This was our first trip without so much planning and it made the trip so enjoyable. It was fun to be more spontaneous that we had on past trips. That trip still stands out as one of our best.

Second would be any of our holiday trips. We've been twice in Dec., twice for Thanksgiving, and once for Christmas (on the actual holiday). Those trips are some of our best trips because we love WDW during the holidays. It was super cool to wake up in Wilderness Lodge on Christmas morning. It had been a dream of mine for a long time and it was so cool to finally make it happen. Can't wait to do it again.

Another favorite trip of mine was when my mom, my sister in law, and I took my two boys and my sil's two boys. I don't know what it was about that trip, but it stands out in my mind more than any of our other trips. And it's definitely one of my kids favorite trips.

Brer Fox
11-07-2012, 09:12 AM
My favorite trip had to be in September of 2005, it was right after Hurricane Katrina hit and gas was over $4 a gallon and apparently no one wanted to spend money on that and a trip to WDW, but we did. There were almost no crowds at all, we rode Splash Mountain 4 times in a row without getting off and they were gonna make us go a 5th time but we decided to tell them that we didn't want to ride again lol. The same goes for Big Thunder Mountain as well.

Sylvia
11-08-2012, 02:13 AM
I have many favorites. I could write a book, but I'll just concentrate on a 2 trips which share the top of my favorite list.

One favorite trip was our family vacation in August 2001. Starting back in 1978, every year I took my Mother to WDW for a well-deserved vacation and on this one, my brother and his family joined us and Mom had a ball sharing her favorite things with her grandchildren. The trip was magical in many ways and, unknown to us at the time, it would be her last trip. We stayed at her favorite resort, Caribbean Beach Resort, in Aruba. She was hopitalized in September 2001 and passed away in January 2002, but Mom enjoyed herself so much that the memories helped us cope.

The other trip was in 2003, when I decided to go back to WDW for my own type of therapy. I decided to concentrate on her favorite attractions, shows, etc., and even decided to request the same room at CBR that she and I shared. When I made my res for 15 nights, I explained to the CM the reason for my request, and also told her that I knew it was probably impossible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. She annotated the request on my res, and I think she must have also added an explanation for the special room request. Knowing that there is no guarantee that a request can be honored, I decided not to think about it and decided that I would be happy with any room in Aruba. When I check in, I almost fainted and then became very emotional when the CM told me my room number; pixie dust and magic were working overtime because, not only was I in Aruba, but my room request was honored, and I was assigned to the same room that Mom and I had occupied in August 2001, for the entire length of my 2003 solo stay. When the CM asked me what was wrong, I told her the story, and she was amazed. My first day was rough and I wasn't sure that I made the right decision. When I walked into my room, I could picture her sitting on the bench, and things were not going well. But as time went on I started thinking of all the funny things that happened on all of our trips over the years. Mom's favorite attraction was Small World, and during the trip I actually went on it 9 times. The first ride was terrible because I was so emotional; so I decided that once I could ride it and happy memories started taking over, my personal therapy was beginning to work. As the days went by, it was easier and easier to get into the boat; I stopped cried constantly and started to smile more, as I finally thought more about the joy she always had and how happy she always was. By the 9th ride, I was feeling so much better. There were many other attractions and happenings that contributed to my recovery, but Small World was the primary part of my therapy. By the last day of my trip, I realized that the trip was the smartest thing I've ever done in my life. Now when I go back to WDW every year, I focus on the happy memories and often I imagine that Mom is there with me. I still take a boat ride to enjoy Small World, but now I smile and remember how much Mom enjoyed it.

iheartdisney
11-08-2012, 10:14 AM
By the last day of my trip, I realized that the trip was the smartest thing I've ever done in my life. Now when I go back to WDW every year, I focus on the happy memories and often I imagine that Mom is there with me. I still take a boat ride to enjoy Small World, but now I smile and remember how much Mom enjoyed it.

Your post brought tears to my eyes! I believe she IS with you on each and every trip. Hugs to you, your mom and your happy memories!

RavsRuleDisney!
11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
our first or second trip to the POLY. The DS' were young but old enough to enjoy and experience plenty. it was our longest trip - we extended a night and it was like a 10 or 11 day trip. It was great having POLY as home base. We hit the parks, DTD, water park, with tons of great pics. i recall the weather was great the entire trip. :mickey: :mickey:

Nut4DW
12-01-2012, 03:55 AM
My favorite trip would have to be our trip in 2009 - went with my husband, my best friend and her husband. My best friend and I celebrated our 50th birthdays (she is two days older than me) - we were treated like princesses by cast members and other guests for the entire trip. My parents had taken us when we graduated from high school and though we had both been back several times, this was our first trip back together. There is no better place to "get old" than Disney where they make everyone feel like a "youngster". A no better person to experience it with than your life - long best friend.

villavic
12-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Disney World is for children, children of any age, even me at 46. But of course when you are biologically a child, the magic is more special. So my favorite trip was the first, at 7yo, 1973.

But close to that is the 1990 trip, when I went with somebody very special.

mymickeymouse
12-02-2012, 07:09 AM
I have addressed this question before, but always, my favorite trip was my precious 12 year old daughter and i alone dec 2005! Oh it was most magical! On the plane ride home, she asked if i thought we would ever get to go alone again, and i promised her and myself we would! She is now in college at louisiana tech, making us very proud. Maybe when she graduates?

lightyearfan
12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Well for me and dw after all the countless times that we have been down with and now without kids, we would have to say that it was a quick weekend trip for our 1st xmas trip to WDW. we just loved the parks all decked out MVMCP Osbourne Lights, Holidays Around The World, and all the Resort hopping that we did to see the Holiday Decor for each different Resort it was a real fun trip, and we"ll be doing it again this upcoming weekend for yet another quick weekend trip

Victor

Jaybrad
12-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Looking back over 30+ trips from here in Texas, my favorite was in July 1986 when my daughter was 6. We stayed in the Tree Houses and celebrated my 44th birthday.

snowflakegirl
12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
What a fun post!

I've had some great trips and have so many wonderful memories from them, but my most recent trip in August 2010 would have to be my favorite. It was my first trip following the three three trips (including honeymoon) with my ex and following a few years of my ex harping on why I obsess on Disney and how ridiculous that was...While I still loved Disney, it had lost a little bit of that magic for me over that time. My first trip back to the World, I traveled with my then-boyfriend-now-husband who was there for his first trip. We got to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge which has always been a dream of mine, we were upgraded to a partial safari view room, took the Backstage Safari Tour (I love AK) and we really just experienced Disney. We took the time to do little things, explore, savor and do things I'd never done before. And seeing Disney World through his eyes and getting to enjoy his enjoyment rekindled that Disney Magic for me. Now we're both still talking about that trip and planning when we'll be able to get away to do another trip there together.